sumadoggie

Line Control vs. Speed Control

Our Sponsors

So, I'm testing a couple putters: Evnroll ER2 and ER3.  I have better line control (that is, I seem to set up to my line better) with the ER2 and better speed control with the ER3.  Very few of my putts from 5, 10, 20 feet were off-line with the ER2.  Between the ER2 and ER3, speed control was basically the same at 5 and 20 feet, but for some reason my speed control with the ER2 was a full 12" worse at 10 feet.  

What would you choose and why?  

• Like 1

Srixon Z785 - Diamana X'17

Cobra King Ltd 3&5 Woods - Fujikura Speeder TR

Cobra King F7 16&19 Hybrids - Aldila Tour Green

TaylorMade UDI P790 2 Iron - PX 6.5

Taylormade P7TW DG Tour Issue X100

Scratch, 56, 60 - DG Tour Issue S400

Sigma Muziik LtdEd 2015 putter

Snell MTB-X 

I'd say you should test some lag putts too. From 10ft and out, the make percentage is going to be relatively low but you really need to be able to guarantee a two putt from distance. That'll take pressure off your iron/wedge game.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+
.......tracked by :Arccos:

:ping-small: G410 Plus: Tensei Orange
:cobra-small: King F7 3/4 FW: Tensei Blue

:cobra-small: King F7 3/4 Hy: Fujikura Pro
:ping-small: i500 5-GW: Modus3 105
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60: KBS Tour 90
:MLA: Tour Classic Black w/ :P2-grips-logo:

Your ability to properly align your putter can vary based on the visuals of the putter, so I'd suggest the one you can align and hit on your intended line.  With practice, you should be able to learn to control the distance.

• Like 3

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

You'll three putt more due to the wrong speed more than due to the wrong line.

I would find an instructor and find out what is causing the change between the two putters.  If you are lining up the ER2 fine, but are having trouble with speed, look to see if it is a swing-weight issue.  If it is a simple weight issue, that can be easily rectified. 

• Like 3

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* Tour AD BB 6X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49F - 54S - 59D
Putter ?????
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

SuperSpeed Forum Tester
Initial Driver Speed on Provided Monitor: 109 MPH

I'm with DaveP but both are important - if you can get the last be you should be able to adjust for the speed. Additionally choosing the wrong line can mess with speed on breaking putts.

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Your ability to properly align your putter can vary based on the visuals of the putter, so I'd suggest the one you can align and hit on your intended line.  With practice, you should be able to learn to control the distance.

Agreed, had this issue myself, went with the one that I could align better and I am very happy

Driver  :titelist-small: TS 2, Hzrdus Smoke Black Stiff 9.5* Setting, A2

Fairway Wood:   :ping-small: G30 Stiff Shaft

Hybrid:   :titelist-small: TS2 19* Hzrdus Smoke Black Stiff shaft

Irons:     :titelist-small: 718 AP1 (4-PW) AMT Red Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX4 52* 56*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Speed control all day long for me.  Generally if I have the speed right, I'm not going to be more than a couple inches off on shorter putts, and probably no more than 3 feet on even the longest of putts. 

• Like 2

:callaway-logo-1:  MAVRIK Sub Zero 9.0 Adilia MSI 60S

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:callaway-logo-1: MAVRIK 5-A Nippon Modus 105 S 

:callaway-logo-1: MD5 Jaws 54.10 and 58.12 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

If the goal is actually making putts, opposed to 3-putt avoidance, go with the best alignment setup. As Rev alluded; it's a new wand and with practice the pace shouldn't be an issue.

• Like 1

:ping-small:___________G400 LST 9* - Ping Tour 65 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:adams-small:_Super Proto DHY 21* - Matrix Ozik Altus hX3 S
:adams-small: _Idea MB2 4-PW - Matrix Program 130 6.5
:cleveland-small:_________RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
Bettinardi.png.e7ca0ee7ba785611a4a144e16b6b93ab.png___SS38 Armlock
k_sig.jpg.00b599e7e823c61015277de38ca16982.jpg___'18 4-piece
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

There's a reason Edel starts all their putter fittings with alignment.  If you can't hit the ball where you wanted to how do you ever expect to make a putt?  Continually missing 3-5' putts by an inch gets old REALLY quickly.

That said as you get farther from the hole pace becomes more important.  You still have to hit your line but if you keep leaving yourself 4' putts that also gets old quick.

My question is...why does it have to be one or the other?  Why not keep searching or tying other models until you can find something you can both align properly and control distance?

• Like 5

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Epic SZ w/ VA Composites Raijin 65 04

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :ping-small: 5i-UW G700 w/ X100 soft stepped once

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 & 58 CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Personally, speed control is the holy grail for me. A little off on the line, no worries I'll have a tap in left. So many variables with line control, with the biggest being IMO being able to read the putt. No amount of alignment technology can help a golfer with that.

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

So, I'm testing a couple putters: Evnroll ER2 and ER3. I have better line control (that is, I seem to set up to my line better) with the ER2 and better speed control with the ER3. Very few of my putts from 5, 10, 20 feet were off-line with the ER2. Between the ER2 and ER3, speed control was basically the same at 5 and 20 feet, but for some reason my speed control with the ER2 was a full 12" worse at 10 feet.

What would you choose and why?

speed is 4x more important than line according to Dave Peltz and that guy would know

Bags

• Like 1

Speed over Line.  Speed is crucial especially with 15' and greater putts.  Obviously the line and read is important as well but if you can dial in speed, a putt has a greater chance of going in even if not started on the correct line.  Cup essentially becomes larger.

• Like 1

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

... The three most important things to think about when putting is speed, Speed and SPEED. My favorite example is think about walking down a rocky path and your brain sees the rocks and guides your feet without you having to watch where you step. In other words, once you see the line the brain has it and you no longer have to consciously concentrate on it. This frees you up to just think about the correct speed. Don't get me wrong, the line is important but again your brain has the line once you look at it and decide what it is. 

... I used a drill where I had my students that were struggling with their putting take a cursory look at the line then ignore it and just concentrate on speed. Not only did their speed control improve, their line management improved as well because they were not over analyzing and agonizing about their line. The key is to simply not care about the results of your putt, just concentrate on making a good stroke while thinking about your speed. Think about an important par or birdie putt you missed because you put pressure on yourself to make it. The brain is an amazing computer and if you don't over load it, it will be free to operate at peak efficiency. So choose the putter that gives you the best speed control. 

• Like 3

Driver:   Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* ... Atmos TS Blue 6s
Fw wood: Cobra Speedzone 14.5* ... Atmos TS Blue 7s
Utility:   TaylorMade UDi 18*  ... HZRDUS Black 6.0 85 hy
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Kuro Kage 105 Tini s-flex
              4-pw TaylorMade P760 ... Recoil Prototype 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind /SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Recoil 110s
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5x

Personally, speed control is the holy grail for me. A little off on the line, no worries I'll have a tap in left. So many variables with line control, with the biggest being IMO being able to read the putt. No amount of alignment technology can help a golfer with that.

speed is 4x more important than line according to Dave Peltz and that guy would know

Speed AND line AND read are all important when actually putting, no question.  But when choosing a putter, your ability to read a putt is completely irrelevant, which leaves your ability to hit the putt on line, and your ability to hit the putt the intended distance.  From what I've read, and from my experience, its going to be easier to learn distance control with a putter that you can consistently hit on the intended line, as compared to learning to hit your intended line with a putter that, for whatever reason, you can't consistently align properly.

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

This is very much a chicken or the egg conversation.

I 100% agree that speed is very important and a person with great distance control vs someone without distance control is going to have less putts per round over the long haul.

However, If you can't line up a 3-5' putt where speed isn't as important and hit the hole you are going to 3 jack all day long.

You could be the best green reader in the world and have amazing distance control.  If you can't hit the ball where you intended to hit it, it's not going in.  Period.  

To the OP, I said it once and I'll say it again.  Why do you have to settle for one or the other?  Find a putter that works for both!

• Like 2

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Epic SZ w/ VA Composites Raijin 65 04

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :ping-small: 5i-UW G700 w/ X100 soft stepped once

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 & 58 CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

FWIW, I will weigh in on the side of distance control as the primary variable.

Agree with the others who've stated you'll three-putt less with good distance control.

• Like 1

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*) and EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Big Bertha 4H (Recoil ZTR) and/or Callaway XR 4H (Project X SD)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 (Rotex graphite) and Callaway X-Jaws 60 (TT-DG S300)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g)
..all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

FWIW, I will weigh in on the side of distance control as the primary variable.

Agree with the others who've stated you'll three-putt less with good distance control.

I'm in the same camp. For me speed/distance is my preferred variable. If I miss at least I'm close to hole.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

:cobra-small: F Max 5 wood

:ping-small:  9 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*
:wilson-small: C300 4i-GP
:cleveland-small:  Wedges RTX 3.0: 52*, 56*
:ping-small: EYE 2 Wedge 60*

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain:

:SuperSpeed: Official Tester 2020   Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

I am inclined to agree with GS Meyer on this one(except the chicken or egg). Why settle on these two putters? If one is giving you a good line, there's a reason. And if the other is giving you good distance control, there's a reason. You need to figure out what that reason is and combine the two. You may end up with a completely different brand. I've said it once and I'll say it again, if everyone would get professionally fit for their clubs it would solve a lot of problems. But I understand most people are like myself and can't afford to be fitted.

BTW it was the chicken!!!

• Like 2

CobraConnectChallenge3

If I can line the putter up right I can learn or fix the speed part of the equation. If I can't line it up right it's notgoing to matter what speed I hit the putts. Trust me on this one. It's what drove me to Edel, which drove my handicap down.

• Like 1

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag