Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Cleveland Launcher HB Drivers

hckymeyer

Quick update on my testing progress.

I just got back from my vacation and it looks like the central Florida weather is going to allow me some range and play time this week.

Monday morning I hit a small bucket of balls at the public range. I was actually surprised how well I was hitting the driver given that it had been a while since I last played. A few hooks here and there, but I believe those we're all my fault not the clubs.

This weekend I plan to spend some time in the simulator, comparing the Cleveland driver to my M2. Based on the rounds I've played with the Cleveland I would guess that they are similar distance wise even though my M2 is an inch shorter. I really want to see the club head speed difference and ball strikes between the drivers. I'll be saving all those findings for round 2.

If you all have any questions and tests you would like to see please let me know.

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

Good honest review No3Putt, that is quite a drastic difference on the mishits.  I may have missed it or don't recall, how close did it come to matching your distance solid drives compared to the F6?

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Good honest review No3Putt, that is quite a drastic difference on the mishits. I may have missed it or don't recall, how close did it come to matching your distance solid drives compared to the F6?

Not close. My best solid drives with the F6 have been 280+ with a couple over 300. The best drives I hit on the Launcher were barely 200-220 yards max.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

OK! My Stage 2 - Performance Review is posted...

Post #3

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/23608-official-forum-member-review-cleveland-launcher-hb-drivers/?p=408365

This review may lead some readers to some questions, so please .. fire away!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

OK! My Stage 2 - Performance Review is posted...

Post #3

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/23608-official-forum-member-review-cleveland-launcher-hb-drivers/?p=408365

This review may lead some readers to some questions, so please .. fire away!

Really great feedback. I wonder how much a lighter shaft would have influenced your results, and how much better (or maybe worse) they would have been.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Really great feedback. I wonder how much a lighter shaft would have influenced your results, and how much better (or maybe worse) they would have been.

Thanks for that. I really think this clubhead has potential, but yeah oh yeah - it needs the right shaft for that golfer (true if pretty much any driver, I've learned).

It's likely I could have had better results with a lighter, and a bit flexier, shaft but due to the lack of fitting/testing options I can't go and find out.........

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

Thanks for that. I really think this clubhead has potential, but yeah oh yeah - it needs the right shaft for that golfer (true if pretty much any driver, I've learned).

It's likely I could have had better results with a lighter, and a bit flexier, shaft but due to the lack of fitting/testing options I can't go and find out.........

That's 2 out of 3 Stage 2's (so far) where a custom fit shaft didn't yield good results. That's interesting to me, and makes me wonder how much Cleveland may have potentially designed the driver to match up best with the stock shaft. Or if that's even a possibility...

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

That's 2 out of 3 Stage 2's (so far) where a custom fit shaft didn't yield good results. That's interesting to me, and makes me wonder how much Cleveland may have potentially designed the driver to match up best with the stock shaft. Or if that's even a possibility...

That's a good observation russ and an interesting question/thought.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

That's a good observation russ and an interesting question/thought.  

Secondary thought, makes me think of the quality of the fitters who fit these guys. Surely we shouldn't be seeing a club misperform by damn near 100 yards. Gets the ol' chin rub from me on that one.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

That's 2 out of 3 Stage 2's (so far) where a custom fit shaft didn't yield good results.

That's interesting to me, and makes me wonder how much Cleveland may have potentially designed the driver to match up best with the stock shaft.

Or if that's even a possibility...

Given the complete lack of fitting carts or fitting heads at club fitters, it does seem to me also that this club appears primarily intended for OTR retail sale.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Secondary thought, makes me think of the quality of the fitters who fit these guys. Surely we shouldn't be seeing a club misperform by damn near 100 yards. Gets the ol' chin rub from me on that one.

Yeah, No3Putt's results really intrigued me, too. My particular problem was not hitting this club better than my Mini .. not distance nor accuracy.... :(

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Oh, and as far as fitters - I went into a Club Champion near me, and supposedly got the "good guy". Although I'm not happy with the result, he was genuinely interested in helping me and even researched the shaft selections on his own time before I came in. Bottom line, for me, really is my driver swing needs work!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Yeah, No3Putt's results really intrigued me, too. My particular problem was not hitting this club better than my Mini .. not distance nor accuracy.... :(

Yeah, your responses didn't surprise me all that much CK if I'm being honest. You're very upfront about your driver issues and no club is a cure-all. You hit what you were more comfortable with better than the big head, can't complain there. And good on your fitter for being invested in the process. You'll find the one some day and if not, keep ripping that 1.5 into fairway after fairway!

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Yeah, your responses didn't surprise me all that much CK if I'm being honest. You're very upfront about your driver issues and no club is a cure-all. You hit what you were more comfortable with better than the big head, can't complain there. And good on your fitter for being invested in the process. You'll find the one some day and if not, keep ripping that 1.5 into fairway after fairway!

Thanks! That's really "it", isn't it? ...being comfortable and confident...

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Very nice stage 2's @cksurfdude and @No3Putt!

Looking forward to reading the others as they are posted.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Cksurferdude and No3puttlala those stage two's are brilliant and brutal. I love the fact that you were both honest and gave sound reasons for your findings. Well done gentleman, you are both great examples of why I love this place!!

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

Cksurferdude and No3puttlala those stage two's are brilliant and brutal. I love the fact that you were both honest and gave sound reasons for your findings. Well done gentleman, you are both great examples of why I love this place!!

Thanks! I really wanted to love this driver/shaft combo. But unfortunately couldn't. Last thing I would do is give you guys a BS story on it, unfortunately the truth on this stick wasn't pretty. At least they make good Wedges! 🤣

Surfer, - have you thought about putting the lead tape on the front heel of the driver?  This would help with face closure and might mitigate some of your high slice

Yes, thx. The tape in the picture was one of the first placements; the strip in the center did move a bit heel-wards. That biggest miss, though, is infrequent so I didn't want to set up specifically for that .. just have "some" draw-bias. 

What helped way more was my last lesson - after I'd finished the review - where one of things he worked on was not rolling the wrists on the backswing so that the clubface turns more open ... this, in combo with the million other things he's trying to have me do better, definitely improved my ball flights.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Thanks! I really wanted to love this driver/shaft combo. But unfortunately couldn't. Last thing I would do is give you guys a BS story on it, unfortunately the truth on this stick wasn't pretty. At least they make good Wedges!

Was going to say something very similar - I went into this test optimistically and really, really wanting to hit this driver well. Yeah, mission fail *BUT* a big positive here for me is with all the practice and lessons on the "big stick" I am getting closer to that someday where I'll hit the thing!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Thank you, Sir!! 

I will admit before the testing started I may have entertained a golfer fantasy of watching the ball come off that driver face and keep going and going and going out to some fantastic yardage that now takes me _two_ good shots..!

But, yeah - I agree the point of member reviews is to get the straight "man in the street" feedback.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Was going to say something very similar - I went into this test optimistically and really, really wanting to hit this driver well. Yeah, mission fail *BUT* a big positive here for me is with all the practice and lessons on the "big stick" I am getting closer to that someday where I'll hit the thing!

This is definitely a review in which I'd be interested in reading a "one year later" update.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

My apologies for being so late posting my stage 2. But it is now up, HOORAY!!! Please check it out and feel free to ask any questions. 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/23608-official-forum-member-review-cleveland-launcher-hb-drivers/

Thanks to everyone.

Zylem

Well done!

I really appreciate the honesty you guys put in to your write-ups. I guess that's the beauty of being independent and unbiased - we get to call 'em as we see 'em!

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

This is definitely a review in which I'd be interested in reading a "one year later" update.

Ha .. I'll have to set a reminder for myself ;-)

But thanks for reading, and hopefully I can report positive results in that future update!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Well done!

I really appreciate the honesty you guys put in to your write-ups. I guess that's the beauty of being independent and unbiased - we get to call 'em as we see 'em!

Thanks! As mentioned earlier, I did want to like this club .. and I did want to report back _my_ actual impressions and experiences with it.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Thanks! As mentioned earlier, I did want to like this club .. and I did want to report back _my_ actual impressions and experiences with it.

Honest evaluation from Spies is the best imo.

Sometimes the truth hurts but I know when it comes from us, it's a through testing period with an open mind to testing. Not knowing the final result if you'd like the equipment or not is a lot of fun to me.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Honest evaluation from Spies is the best imo.

Sometimes the truth hurts but I know when it comes from us, it's a through testing period with an open mind to testing. Not knowing the final result if you'd like the equipment or not is a lot of fun to me.

Tazz

Thanks, Tazz! Almost feel a little bad for Cleveland - especially vis-a-vis all the glowing comments in another review thread about (another company's drivers) - so I did try to emphasize "it's me, not you".... But I did try be thorough, as you said, to see if I could make it work for me.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Brilliant Zylem, you have nailed this review. All three of you guys have inspired me to really want to review a driver (if I'm lucky enough to get another review opportunity)

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

Archived