Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Top 5 Best & Worst Golf Purchases

txgolfjunkie

Best

• Callaway MavRik Sub Zero - Went into 2020 with this driver in mind.  Went through a Callaway fitting day at my local course.  Liked the numbers I was getting, especially on mishits and with dispersion.  Had a terrific driving year.
  • Ventus Blue Velocore Shaft - Hit this during the fitting day and it was by far best for me.  Did not want to spend the money, but ended up finding a little bit of discount and so glad I made the jump to this shaft.  Was a bit scared when I first got it as it did take me about 4 rounds to sync, but it's been great since then.
  • Mizuno MP 18 SC - Also went in knowing I wanted these irons.  Love the look and feel.  Confirmed from Club Champion fitting that these are still great for me.  Srixons were a close second and potentially switching shafts could make me a bit more optimal, but it's very close.
  • Titleist AP2 710 - These were my first players type of iron.  I bought them back in 2009 while still in college and as you can imagine, very broke.  I found them on eBay from a regular Joe, but even then was worried about fakes.  I called Titleist to confirm the irons and all went well.  Dropped my handicap in half while having them.  
  • Titleist Hybrids - I've had several renditions including the 915H, 816H, and now a couple 818H.  They just suit my eye and have been very solid.  I compared this against others in fittings and this usually still wins out.  

Worst

• Club Champion Complete Fitting - This one is difficult.  While I like that data as well as the amount of heads/shafts they have available to try.  I just didn't feel like I completely got my money's worth compared to other fittings.  Especially on other clubs besides irons and driver.  With fairway, hybrid, wedges, and putter, I still am a bit at a loss for what would be best for me except for current equipment is fairly good still.
  • Callaway Apex Forged Pro 2016 - Got them fitted, but just never got along with them.  Moved to these from my AP2's, but it just didn't work out.
  • Nike Sasquatch 3 wood with Steel Shaft - Stupid purchase, thought I should try a steel shaft in a 3 wood for some reason.  Didn't go well.
  • Titleist 915 D3 Driver - Moved to this from the previous 910 driver and this just did not do it for me.  I bought it used and did not get fit.  Not the driver's fault, I just had more luck with the previous driver and was lucky that the shaft fit with me.
  • Taylormade M2 Driver - Tried this out with all of the hype.  When hit well, it went farther than anything I've ever tried, but the dispersion was all over the place and cost me the year I played it.
  • Ping G LST - Tried this after the G400 got so much hype and it just wasn't a fit for me.  Could not stand the sound as it's such a loud ting.  At that time, I did try the g400 in a demo so I put the similar shaft in the G, but it just didn't work out.
  • Evnroll ER7 - Found this at a steal - i think around $150 new so had to try it.  Simply didn't like the shape.  I've hit some other Evnroll putters in golf store and like them.

Definitely a lot more bad buys than good.  The trend I can see is that that bad is almost always when I don't take the time/money to go through a fitting.  I am the type of person who always looks for a deal, but it seems that I usually whiff on those and it costs me strokes in the end. 

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

• 2 years later...
On 6/9/2018 at 3:01 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Best

1: Cobra F7 3 wood. Go to and favorite club.

2: Ping Sigma G Tyne putter. Very recent purchase but has significantly helped my putting.

3: Ping I e1 irons with Nippon modus pro 105 shafts. Smooth and just love these irons so much.

4: Taylormade burner superfast rescue 18* still holds a spot in the bag.

5: most recent purchase but love it so far which is my Arccos 360.

Honorable mention: click gear cart

Worst:

1. Ping i25 driver... Had some great shots with it but was wildly inconsistent and we never really got onto the same page.

2. Mizuno JPX EZ forged. There really wasn't much wrong with them, but the shorter irons looked really ugly at address and the balance felt off on them for my swing.

3. Taylormade r15 3 wood. High hopes for this one, but just didn't fly with me.

4. Cobra fly z hybrid. Personally it felt super hard and just not good. Nothing like the drivers.

5: game golf. Worked okay, but ended up dying on me and didn't get as much out of it as I had hoped.

Honorable mention: ray cook wedges... Don't know what I was thinking.

Great thread I'm sure many of us could have lists that go a mile long

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1. LAB MEZZ MAX Putter
2. Jones Golf Bag - Forum Edition
3. Cobra F7 3 wood - yes still in the bag year later
4. Golf build supplies and equipment - opened up a new chapter in my game. 
5. Vice Pro Plus Golf balls

Worst 
Have to think a bit more but all the stuff above still applies. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Fun one, let’s go in the way back machine!

Best:

-SM7/8 wedges, 7s were used and got a 48* 8 new a year later. This was after one of my worst purchases (below)

-cobra radspeed. After being in MGS for a while I went and got driver fitted and voila has been my best driver by far.

-sim 3wood-On a whim purchased this years ago and when it’s on its on. Still swing it. If I ever change out from it I’ll probably go to a 5 wood but it’s in until it breaks.

-Cleveland 588MT iron set- this was my first real set of irons. I was just getting into golf and they served me so well for several years.

Worst:

-CBX2 wedges- I got these after being fitted but I had just joined the site and I made several changes in my short game and these weren’t a fit for me anymore, played a few rounds and ended up buying the SM7s, rest is history.

-2019 P790s- they survived a few years but I never loved these clubs. They replaced the 588MTs if I went back in time I would have kept the Cleveland’s for another year and looked at something else.

-when I first got out of the military I was getting into golf a little, had some money and bought a set of cobra irons. Don’t even remember what kind ( @GolfSpy BOS might though) and I got them at PGASS. I remember I got them because I thought the black graphite shafts and the yellow cobra accents were cool. I probably could have broken those shafts the way I swung. Man what a terrible purchase 😂

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

38 minutes ago, GolfSpy_SHARK said:

Fun one, let’s go in the way back machine!

Best:

-SM7/8 wedges, 7s were used and got a 48* 8 new a year later. This was after one of my worst purchases (below)

-cobra radspeed. After being in MGS for a while I went and got driver fitted and voila has been my best driver by far.

-sim 3wood-On a whim purchased this years ago and when it’s on its on. Still swing it. If I ever change out from it I’ll probably go to a 5 wood but it’s in until it breaks.

-Cleveland 588MT iron set- this was my first real set of irons. I was just getting into golf and they served me so well for several years.

Worst:

-CBX2 wedges- I got these after being fitted but I had just joined the site and I made several changes in my short game and these weren’t a fit for me anymore, played a few rounds and ended up buying the SM7s, rest is history.

-2019 P790s- they survived a few years but I never loved these clubs. They replaced the 588MTs if I went back in time I would have kept the Cleveland’s for another year and looked at something else.

-when I first got out of the military I was getting into golf a little, had some money and bought a set of cobra irons. Don’t even remember what kind ( @GolfSpy BOS might though) and I got them at PGASS. I remember I got them because I thought the black graphite shafts and the yellow cobra accents were cool. I probably could have broken those shafts the way I swung. Man what a terrible purchase 😂

I'm guessing fly z... If they were older then maybe the S3 Max? 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

4 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I'm guessing fly z... If they were older then maybe the S3 Max? 

S3 max that’s the one!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

8 minutes ago, GolfSpy_SHARK said:

S3 max that’s the one!

Lol I had those! 

Big, Chucky, massive offset and weird almost rail sole.. However were still a great first set. Coming off a box set.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Best:  

1. Ping Hoofer Bag

2. Vokey SM8 Wedges

3. TaylorMade M6 3 wood (renewed my interest in fairway woods and helped regain my confidence…have since upgraded)

4. Sim 2 Max Driver

5. VA Composites Raijin Shaft…for said Sim 2 driver

Worst:

1. TaylorMade Balls from years ago…don’t remember the model, but it did not get along with me

That is the only “worst” example I have…have gotten along fairly well with my purchases.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

• 1 month later...

THROWBACK THURSDAY THREAD!

Best - LAB MEZZ MAX
- Footjoy Shoes
- MyGolfSpy Forum Gloves
- MyGolfSpy Forum Bag
- MyGolfSpy Driver Cover

Worst - Chipping Discs
- Golf Club Erasers
- Cobra Fly Z Hybrid
- Nike Vapor Driver (loved the look, performance just wasn't there to match)
- Temu Golf Shoes

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Best: 

1. Smoke Triple Diamond 

2. AI jailbird Cruiser, I don’t even have it but I am to excited 

3. Nike Sasquatch Driver. The first big name driver  someone bought for me. 

4. Cobra F9 driver. Would never have gotten rid of it if it didnt break.

5. Vice Pro Plus golf balls. The affordability and fun colors have brought more fun to the game. 

Worst:

1. Odyssey white hot pro: I just stink with it 

2. Last weeks scramble golf tournament which was changed to a shamble 12 hours before tee off 

3. All Golf shoes that are not waterproof 

4. Golf ball finding sunglasses. They don’t help when the ball is 200 feet into the woods   

5.  Light up golf balls. Sounds like I was hitting a rock and then broke immediately  

Everyone stinks, yes even the pros. Have fun 

My Top 5 best purchases in golf are very technology orientated and are as follows:

1. Flightscope Mevo+ which allowed me to become a much more consistent ball striker and play SIM golf pretty much every day

2. EXPUTT putting simulator has dialled in my distance putting and is very addictive

3. LAB Link 1 putter

4. Shotscope V3 watch which allows me to analyse my game on/off the course

5. Dewiz watch which allowed me to sort out my swing path with driver but also so much more

My worst purchases in golf are:

1. A number of expensive training aids that sound great but then never see the light of day after the first week of use

2. Golf training video that I never watched

3. Drivers I could not hit

Driver:  Callaway Paradym X 10.5* HZRDUS Blue 6.0

5W: TM Stealth 2 HD Speeder NX Red Stiff

7W: PXG 0211 Tensei Blue 65 Stiff

Irons:  Takomo 101s 5-PW KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  Cleveland CBX2 52/56/60 DG115 Wedge Flex

Putter: Lab Golf Link 1

Ball:   TP5

Tech: Flightscope Mevo+, Shotscope V3, DeWiz

I've hesitated to add to this thread, mainly because I can't remember model names of some of my candidates. I decided to just try and go with the best I can remember of them.

Best:

JPX800 irons - Maybe it was because it was the first truly comprehensive fitting I ever had (anyone remember Dana Upshaw?), but I only moved on after two shoulder surgeries.

An old ladies Lynx 5 wood head that I reshafted and used as a 7 wood. This was in the 90's, and I couldn't find a men's 7W at the time. 

Ping G410 driver (still in the bag). Maybe I could get a tad more forgiveness from newer versions, but my launch numbers are maxed out.

Putter fitting (twice): The first I ended up in a La Jolla model. At the time (90's) I obsessively tracked my stats. My putts per round dropped by 5! The more recent (two years ago) got me into a Mizuno OMIO 1. Very, very similar to the La Jolla, just a bit heavier. 

TM MG wedges - I got them before MGS did their wedge rankings. When that came out it made me feel like I was one of the cool kids.

Worst:

An older Maltby iron design (maybe 1993), I don't remember the model, but it was among the first contestants in the players distance category. These were totally unforgiving, worse than the toughest blades I ever tried.

Snell MTB X balls - worst wind performance I can remember.

Cleveland CBX wedges - could not control yardage at all. Every swing went the same distance. Longer/harder swings just went higher.

Wishon 715CLC driver - this head had a rotatable internal weight that let you move 40g around in a circle inside the head. Felt poor in every position.

I reserve the right to add a fifth at a future date. Most of these bad purchases have been erased from my memory.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

Best Purchases:

Titleist TSi3 driver

Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0 Rescue (first real purchase I ever made and a club I got rid of once, bought again and will never get rid of it)

FootJoy Hyperflex Shoes (Most comfortable I've ever owned, got the latest model last year, probably won't own many other than FJ's)

Both my boys' sets of clubs as they love coming out with me and are learning the game at a young age (This is THE BEST) 

Taylormade Spider Tour Platinum Putter - got a screaming deal on eBay, like $71, and it was brand new

Worst Purchases:

Taylormade Rocketballz Iron/Hybrid set - thought I "needed" to upgrade from my TM RAC OS irons and never hit them as well. Lasted one season before I moved on. Also traded in my first superfast 2.0 rescue with this purchase. Overall major loss lol.

Nike Stand Bag (can't remember the model) - Got this after graduating college and bought it more or less for looks before I really knew anything about equipment. It ripped by two pockets after about a month, got it replaced, that one did it in the same spots, got it replaced AGAIN and then just sold it and went with something else.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

Best Purchases: Titleist Vokeys 48/52/56

Puma Original G Spikeless

Cleveland HB Soft 14

Odin X Golf Balls (going X1 next refill)

$50 Ram irons on eBay that have much surpassed their monetary worth

Couple bonus goods would be the GrooveIt and my Groove Sharpener

Worst: Wilson Duo Soft balls

Daiwa Blade Irons

Plastic practice balls

Tommy Armour Golf Bag (it is already tearing)

And my first couple of tee times when I got back into golf. Oh boy, bad memories 😂

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 5h

5i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :titleist-small: 48°, 52°, 56°

Putter:  :cleveland-small: HB Soft 14

Ball: :odin:

Top 5 Purchases

1. 2013 Big Bertha Driver and 3 wood with TM R7 Draw Irons, and Odyssey White Hot Putter (First set of clubs, got me hooked on this game that I love)
  2. TaylorMade M6 Draw Driver- First Brand NEW club i ever bought
  3. Lessons from a local Pro last year- after 3 years of playing I decided to start taking golf more serious so I decided its time for lessons get a better understand and basics.
  4. The Little Red Book by Harvey Penick and Mastering Golf's Mental Game by Dr. Michael T. Lardon
  5. Garmin R10- It has been fun learning more about my game and seeing improvements

Honorable mention- Shotscope X5 watch with distance- just bought it and waiting for it to arrive (could see it moving up the list if it does what it says it does... Sure it does sense they are the data collectors for MGS)

Worst 5 Purchases

1. foam balls- I dont ever use them, dogs and baby tear them up. 
  2. Alignment sticks - hear me out paid 25 to 35 dollars for a name brand before I was pointed to using the driveway reflectors that the golf pro used that cost 2 dollars..
  3. "Wishon" Wedge- a SW i bought thinking it was going to help me play better in the short game, and it did. Until someone who had been playing a lot long then me realized the ball was spinning more then it should. Found out the guy I bought it from altered the club by adding groves and grind to grab the ball better. 
  4. Lessons from a well known company- paid for the hour lesson for them to tell me the same thing I told them. No feed back on how to fix it. 
  5. Footjoy Flex Spikeless- bought them on sell because i thought i needed golf shoes that day. The shoe was not water proof, the spikeless did not help grab the dirt, and the shoe fell apart in 3 rounds. Looking back, I wish I would have spent a little more money and bought the traditions instead. 

Samuel Hanvey 

Oh I like this game and reading everyone's responses!

Best:

- Ping G2 7 Wood. I just love this club and always seemed to hit it good no matter how I was playing.

- Ping Eye 2 irons. I used these irons for almost 20 years (just typing that sentence out makes me feel so old)

- LAB Mezz Max. I was always a decent putter, but this putter has lowered my puts per round significantly.

- Clinch Golf Tactile Golf. I love the material, the durability and the fit so much that I bought a new one for this year and will hopefully be able to do so for years to come.

- Full Metal Markers Divot Repair Tool + Marker. I like the strength of the magnet holding the marker on the side of the repair tool and the foldout design.

Worst:

- Big Max Dri Lite Hybrid Tour Golf bag. I wanted to love it, but coming from an old Ping Hoofer I realized that the popular bags are popular for a reason and I might be looking at an upgrade significantly sooner than I had anticipated.

- Footjoy Hyperflex Golf Shoe. I just don't love the fit and feel of these shoes. I should have returned them but I didn't realize how much I didn't like them until after my first round of golf.

- Titleist StaDry Performance Towel. It is larger than I expected it to be, and so it largely stays in my bag as a backup towel and rain hood.

- Vice Pro "Go Nutz" golf ball. Nothing against the performance, but I thought these were all white golf balls with Green writing and markings but I was wrong. I am somewhat of a purist when it comes to golf balls and don't particularly like logos on golf balls.

- Full Metal Markers spare markers. I almost never swap out styles and no one else cares what marker I use, so mostly these sit in my bag.

WITB:

Takkomo.png.2fd3ccfadfdb71195da27b04616ac6c5.png Takomo IGNIS Driver 10.5* (1* strong) with HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 5.5 shaft

Takkomo.png.2fd3ccfadfdb71195da27b04616ac6c5.png Takomo IGNIS 5 Wood with HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 5.5 shaft

Untitled2.png.80d892461ed08eaa7fe955b28995d7e9.png Ping G430 22* Hybrid with HZRDUS Smoke Red 80g 6.0 shaft

Untitled.png.5ecdabcbb4b233d7651619da934c3a6a.png Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-PW with KBS Tour Light R shafts

Edison.png.1b14460d57753ae667327c0f7d3399a9.png Edison 2.0 Wedges 51° 55° 59° with KBS Tour 110 R shafts

image.png.a072db0e36674771c57e6581a9a7be30.png L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 MAX with LAB x Accra shaft

BEST

1. Srixon Z765 irons

2. Garmin Launch Monitor

3. Ping G410 LST

4. Vessell Player III DXR

5. Not really a purchase but getting fit has made a world of difference

WORST

1. Regrip for clubs that get put on crooked

2. Ping Anser putter, doesn’t fit my stroke

3. Any grip other than MCC Plus 4

4. Titleist T100s - great irons just weren’t for me

5. Buying another bag of tees and then finding the bag I “lost” the day after the new ones got here 😂

Ai Smoke Max 10.5* |  Ventus TR Blue 7x

HL 16.5* |  Speeder NX Green 6s

Apex UW 19* |  Ventus TR Red 6s

ZX7 Mk ii 4-PW |  NS Modus Pro 3 Tour 120x

MG4 50-54-58 |  NS Modus Pro 3 Tour 120s

Edel EAS 1.5/ Scotty Cameron Phantom 5s

BEST 

1). Hogan Apex Pro Irons - If USGA didn't change groove rule, I'd still use them. 

2). Callaway Paradym X Driver! Mama Mia! 

3). Sqairz Shoes - Shoes are very comfortable & their customer service is excellent. 

4). FingerTen Gloves - The gloves are durable. I use them for everyday play & all year round. Normal glove hand is "Left" hand. Before this past winter, I purchased "right-handed" gloves as well, due to cold weather.  First time I've played golf with two gloves when not raining and loved them! 

5). Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Putter.  I've always wanted a Scotty putter & won a Newport 2 putter.  Just stop using the putter and now displayed in my office! 

Worst

1). Sketchers Performance Max golf shoes. The shoes lasted 3 mos & 3 days from date of purchase. Their customer service was terrible. 

2). Elevate 105 golf shafts.  Not True Temper's fault. Found a Callaway pre-owned iron set I wanted. I changed golf shafts from Rifle 6.0 stiff to the Elevate 105 stiff shafts already installed in the pre-owned set. (Note to self, listen to your club fitter!)

3). Mizuno MP001 Driver.  Aesthetically looked good. Couldn't hit it worth a darn! 

4). TaylorMad Roho III putter

5). Wilson Deep Red FS Fluid Feel Irons with stiff Fat Shafts. 

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

How many of the worst purchases were led by a lack of fitting?

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

How many of the worst purchases were led by a lack of fitting?

I only had 1 club under worst purchases, but I’d say all of if I could go back. I’d get fitted for clubs and it would likely saved me going through so many lol 

Samuel Hanvey 

BEST :
- golf clubs fitted and assembled by independant professionals, and experienced, clubfitters/club makers, whatever the brand name of the components
- single length  custom made  irons sets
- Wishon 919 THI drivers, with real lofts,  not hosel adjusted lofts, from 8 to 15.5 d, and of which you can adjust as nessessary, the lie, and the face angle, without moving any other parameter, ans also, easily the weight., up to 20 grams and more
- wood and hybrid heads, of which you can move the lie and face angle (without moving any other parameter), and the weight, up to 30 grams, for better consistensy and optimal length adjustment,

- Miura KM 7O0 forged iron heads,

WORST :
- OEM ongoing  irons declining lofts

-  OEM too long drivers shafts

- OEM ongoing each year false and misleading promisses, such as "a never reached distance", or "a lateral dispersion reduced by 15 %"
- Ping announcing a 10 K  driver's MOI, creating its own and  confusing   definition of the MOI
- magical putters of all kinds whereas what matters for a putter as for any other club is its good fitting for its owner

top five in no particular order...

Titleist 909D3 9,5* driver. bought it two years old in like new condition for 110 bux.  was in the bag for 10+ years. great stick. felt comfortable with any ask : high, low, left, right, hammered, bunt... absolute keeper. even though I did just replace it with...

Cobra LTDx LS. 2yr old new stock for 225 bux.   this thing rips !    I am getting old(64). was 25+ yards past where the 909 was on the home track. really. no really. very flat, driving trajectory. still getting to know it, but crazy happy so far.

Yes! Sophia putter. scored one for 50 bux years ago. had my bag stolen. found another one for 50 bux. still the gamer.

Ping Hoofer bag. completely functional. durable as hell. 10+years, still going strong.

Adams Speedline 3+.   took a flyer on a $29 ebay club(what the hell. eh ?...).  rocket launcher. great off the tee and the dirt. Aldila NVS rpm 65x( normaly I play stiff, but with an untipped fwy, I gave it a whirl...)

honorable mention... Titleist 909H 19*.  got it two years old, but new for 100bux. still in the bag...

Worst ?  who cares...?!

Srixon ZX7 irons and Cobra LTDX Driver are the best purchases by far, Footjoy BOA shoes were very average for the price, expected better

Firefighter

Single figures

120+ swing speed

LTDx Driver

Srixon ZX 3Wood & Utility Iron

Srixon ZX7 Irons

Vokey Wedges

Best

1. MGI Zip Navigator AT

2. My Club Woodmont CC Canton GA

3. Ping 410 irons

4. Full set of Ping Eye 2 BeCu irons

5. Callaway Coronado golf shoes

Worst

1. Skechers Go Golf shoes (fell apart)

2. Adidas Golf socks

3. TM Spyder Putter

4. Cobra Speed zone 3 wood

5. Eyeline golf training aid 

Played golf for over 50 years until my health and business calendar reduced my time to less then 5 rounds a year. Then 4 years ago I retired, changed my diet and lifestyle, lost 100 pounds and got back on the course. Its been a struggle but things are getting better.

Top 5 Best:

Srixon MKII 5's and 7's fitted

LAB DF2.1 

Titleist 915 Driver - loved this driver until I cracked the face. 

New Balance golf shoes

Vokey SM9 wedges

Worst:

Plenty but I'm a gear junky and like testing things out. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Top 5: 

1. Cobra King Tour MIM Tour Irons: Found on a demo sale (brand new) in the exact specs I was fitted for.

2. Cleveland RTX Full Face 60*:  Perfect shape and a versatile grind. Plus now it’ll spin on my toe miss 😂

3. SIM2 Ti: Absolute bomber of a 3 wood off the tee, and soft landing when you need it.

4. Lululemon Clothing: Only clothes that actually feel good, look good and fit well.

5: Bridgestone Tour BX Balls: Probably wouldn’t have tried these if I didn’t use ballnamic. Huge upgrade from kirklands.

Worst 5:

1. TaylorMade M4 Irons: Too light, too hot, too much offset.

2. Under Armour HOVR Show Spikeless Shoe: Sweaty with no grip at all.

3: Adidas Tour 360: Heels were chewed to death after 9 holes

4: TaylorMade M1 Driver: Felt dead off the face in the worst way

5: Odyssey White Steel #5 CS: Just ugly and did not get along with it. 

Driver: LTDx LS 8* Tensei White 75x

3 Wood: SIM 2 TI Hzrdus Black 85 6.5

5 wood: Stealth Plus Diamana D+ 80x

4 Hybrid: Tsi2 23* Tensei White 100x

Irons: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Project X 6.5

Wedges: Kirkland + Cleveland RTX Full Face 52,56,60

What's your top 5 best and worst golf purchases over your golfing career?

4 Worst:

1. Pure Spin Wedges 

2. Bobby Jones 5 and 6 hybrid 

3. Titliest Vokey 6 60 degree wedge (It was more I shouldn't have bought a 60 LOL)

4. Kirkland V2 golf balls. (Not as good as the originals)

5. Sky Caddie LX5 Watch (with so many free apps like Birdie18, I don't need a watch)

5 Best

1. Ping G400 Driver 

2. TaylorMade Milled Grind M4 wedges (52 and 54)

3. TaylorMade M5 irons (long and forgiving)

4. TaylorMade Razr 3 wood

5. Mizuno MP33 Irons (Amazing irons, my daughters hits them better then I do LOL)

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST R Flex

3 Wood: TaylorMade Razr

Hybrids: Callaway Rogue Max 3 - 5

Irons: TaylorMade M5

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 4 52, 54/Titleist Vokey M6 56

Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7

R.jpg

My best golf purchases:

1.  KZG Forged III irons (refinished and regrooved this year)

2.  Positive Putter P2 (custom built for me, I have 2)

3.  Cleveland CG12 DSG RTX wedges in 54/10 & 58/10 

4.  Taylormade  MD 4 Tiger grind 56/12 bent to 54/10 & 58/14

5.  Garmin Approach Z80

My worst golf purchases:

1.  All the putters I ever owned that I was not fitted to.

2.  The first Cobra driver to win MGS highest rating (early years when you had 5 testers and rated them)  I don't even remember its name it was straight but very short)

3.  Taylormade SLDR 

4.  Birdieballs putting mat (just to big to use in my house)

5.  20 or so random clubs I didn't get fit for!!!

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized