Forum Org Change: Reviews Read more... ×
chemclub

New rules of golf

47 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I think I had heard that CONGU will not accept scores made if the approved local rule that allows you an option to the stroke and distance penalty for OB and lost balls is in effect.  

Thanks, that's interesting. I wonder if this new rule is in fact not actually a new rule that's going to be in play now for competitions?

41 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

Thanks, that's interesting. I wonder if this new rule is in fact not actually a new rule that's going to be in play now for competitions?

This is NOT an actual rule, but instead an approved local rule.  The USGA/R&A suggest that it be used for casual play and lesser levels of competition, but not be used by professionals or elite amateurs.  It will be a decision made by each golf club as to whether to use the local rule,  under what circumstances, and in which specific areas of the golf course.  It may be in use for general play, but not for competitions, at the option of the Golf Club.  This local rule is discussed under E-5 here:

http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=cp&section=rule&rulenum=8

You can find the identical wording on the R&A website.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

This is NOT an actual rule, but instead an approved local rule.  The USGA/R&A suggest that it be used for casual play and lesser levels of competition, but not be used by professionals or elite amateurs.  It will be a decision made by each golf club as to whether to use the local rule,  under what circumstances, and in which specific areas of the golf course.  It may be in use for general play, but not for competitions, at the option of the Golf Club.  This local rule is discussed under E-5 here:

http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=cp&section=rule&rulenum=8

You can find the identical wording on the R&A website.

I see, thank you for clarifying.

I've a habit of going OB on the second shot to our par 5 18th causing me to NR as I dont want to walk back 250 yards up a steep hill so to drop with a 2 shot penalty was at least going to stop my NR's. But if CONGU decide it cant be used in comps then it looks like I'll continue my pattern 😉 

/yes I know I should play a provisional but the OB is just past some trees and sometimes it hits the trees then goes OB and I didnt know.🙄

I think your nickname should be stubborngolfer rather than persevering golfer

You have the habit of going out of bounds at this place.
When you do,  you NR rather than walk back 250 yards (nice drive, by the way).
You know you should play a provisional.
You don't play a provisional because sometimes you are not out of bounds.
You habitually find that you have gone out of bounds.
You NR  rather than walk back 250 yards ..........

..... and so the cycle  goes on. 

There's a Scots word  "thrawn".   That means being perversely stubborn to the point of disadvantaging yourself rather than giving in.  The cap fits, perhaps? 🙂

Edited by Colin L

11 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

This is NOT an actual rule, but instead an approved local rule.  

Dave, to be pernickety, any approved Local Rule that is adopted by a course/club is an actual Rule

Edited by Colin L

8 hours ago, Colin L said:

Dave, to be pernickety, any approved Local Rule that is adopted by a course/club is an actual Rule

Of course that's right, I just wanted to be clear that this rule doesn't apply to every course at all times, it applies to only those courses that choose to use it, and only for the occasions when it is specifically in effect.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Colin L said:

When you do,  you NR rather than walk back 250 yards (nice drive, by the way).

2nd shot not drive 😋 .....and 250yds up 2 steep hills when you are well over par is sensible for pace of play, not stubborn imo 😏