Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

A Round on the Old Course!!

Great stuff John.  A couple of those pics should no doubt be framed in the office. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Great pics.

You'll enjoy the Jubilee and New course, both are actually better challenges than the Old, but the Old trumps it for nostalgia and atmosphere.

Good luck.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Great stuff John, you're getting yourself more solidly entrenched on my list! 

83 after very little (if any) sleep and a lot of excitement isn't too bad. Enjoy the next few days.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Incredibly jealous.... lucky man!

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Definitely bucket list stuff here John, thanks for sharing!

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

3 hours ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

It gets worse. Wet, miserable day today- cousin Paul suggests on a lark we see if there are any Old Course cancellations. Bottom line,we tee off again in 30 minutes emoji41.pngemoji41.pngemoji41.png

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Whats your honest opinion on the Old course now you've played it twice? (only once for me)

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

On 5/30/2019 at 1:57 PM, perseveringgolfer said:

Whats your honest opinion on the Old course now you've played it twice? (only once for me)

That's a great question - I wouldn't say it's anywhere close to the "hardest" course I've ever played - the way it was set up for regular play, anyway. You definitely have to think your way around it, and caddies definitely helped. I can easily see how holes such as #11, the one that gave Bobby Jones fits, can be a nightmare if you're in the wrong place. I got luck and parred it twice, but a couple of miscalculations could have been disastrous.

I bogied the Road Hole twice, both times from the middle of the fairway -- unless you're a hell of a long longer off the tee than I am and the pin is in the front - I don't see how you can get close. It's a tough mother of a hole. Playing 18 twice was interesting - first day was driver/9-iron; the second day was driver/3 hybrid, and I smacked both drives well.

For the first round, there was definitely an 78 or 79 to be had for me - I struggled both on and around the greens, and was fighting a major case of the lefts. Apparently, on the Old Course, that's not a horrible thing. My caddy told me right is where nearly all the trouble is, left my make the hole harder and longer, but you can play it. The only holes where right really isn't a problem is on 9 and 10, since they're side by each.

I didn't play particularly well my second round - still was able to scrape together an 86, but it didn't feel like a good 86. I did lip out 3 or 4 putts that were for either birdie or par (okay, one would have saved double), but it was a scramble the entire round. I shanked a pitch on 18 in front of a group of onlookers - and then 3-putted for a closing double which kind of sealed the deal.

So honest opinion? It's not a particularly hard course, but you do have to use your noodle and if you stay out of trouble and bring a short game, I don't think breaking 80 there under normal conditions would be all that difficult to do. The greens are on the slow side - but from what I understand that's normal for Scottish links golf, and if you're not hitting greens and your short game is giving you fits, it's going to be a long day. As my caddy said - it rarely plays the same way twice.

From the experience standpoint, it was magical - they build up the mystique big time (why wouldn't they?) - but to actually play on that course - and the New and Jubilee as well - where there's so much history - was something I'll never forget.

We played Lundin Links today - a really cool out-of-the-way hidden gem. Half the holes were designed by Old Tom Morris, the other half by James Braid - and they've been playing there since 1868. It was a really fun course, again right on the water.

We play Kingsbarns in the morning and Scottscraig in the afternoon tomorrow - then he head home on Sunday.  

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Did you go through a company to set up your golf or did you do this all on your own?  If you went through a company, can you tell us about it?

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

1 hour ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Did you go through a company to set up your golf or did you do this all on your own?  If you went through a company, can you tell us about it?

Another good question - we set the trip up through a British company called Halcyon Golf Travel (link here).

The owner and founder is a 23 year old Jack Sallis - a go-getter if ever there was one. I met Jack at the PGA Show in January. His company is about a year old and Jack has worked hard to make contacts in the golf world and thrives on putting together high end, bespoke travel experiences throughout the UK. Ours was bespoke, I guess, but we chose  not to go the high end route -- preferring to sacrifice high end accommodations and other experiences for more and better golf. 

Jack did not book the Old Course for us - by the time we booked the trip (mid-March) all the allotted tee times were long gone...so we did it the hold fashioned way -- showing up at the starter's pavilion early, waiting and hoping. But Jack did a great job putting the trip together and spent the first two days of the trip with us to get us settled and acclimated to Scotland - he even played with us at the Castle Course (he's a SERIOUS stick, even though I did outdrive him on one hole - not bad for someone 35 years older than him!!). 

There are lots of good travel companies that can book a trip like this -- GolfBreaks is one, but there are tons. I personally like working with small outfits like Halcyon, and I like that Jack is so young and doing the work to make a name for himself and his company. That kind of initiative is worthy of respect, IMO. He's earned my business, that's for sure. 

Already talking about a trip next year for my 60th - anyone up for it???

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

1 hour ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

I think I could mosey on over to The Home of Golf when you come back😉🏌️‍♂️👏

1 hour ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

There are lots of good travel companies that can book a trip like this -- GolfBreaks is one, but there are tons. I personally like working with small outfits like Halcyon, and I like that Jack is so young and doing the work to make a name for himself and his company. That kind of initiative is worthy of respect, IMO. He's earned my business, that's for sure. 

It sounds like it worked out great, its nice to know of another resource in planning these kinds of trips.  I understand the appeal of having a trip planner, but you can also organize one of these trips on your own.  I plan almost all of my own trips, including trips to Scotland in 2011 and 2012.  We planned those far enough in advance to get in through the Advanced Reservation System, and planned the rest of the trip around the allocated dates.  Its really not difficult to organize tee times on most courses, including Carnoustie, the Old Course and Muirfield are notable exceptions.  Lodging and vehicles aren't too difficult to organize either.  Again, I'm glad to know there's a new hungry company doing an excellent job for golfers.

I'd love to make another pilgrimage to Scotland with you, but I have a feeling my wife would object.  But I'm with you, a visit every year wouldn't be too often.

One question, you stayed at the New Inn, how did that work out?

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

13 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

One question, you stayed at the New Inn, how did that work out?

It was fine -- very simple rooms over a pub. We looked at it like we had a full service bar and breakfast counter in our basement. It was an easy walk to restaurants, and about a 20 minute hike to the Old Course - 30 if you walked along the shore by the old cathedral and castle. 

It was very bare bones -- full bed and twin bed with a full bath. Desk with a hot water pot and instant coffee - plenty of room. Only thing missing was a mini-fridge for snacks or bottled water.  The pub downstairs was fine - not terribly busy though, but fine. Heidi, the owner, made breakfast to order for us every day, and if we gave her enough notice she'd prepare a bagged breakfast for us if we were leaving early, as we did Saturday to play Kingsbarns. 

We could have stayed in a  nicer hotel - even had an option to stay at the Rusack right along the 18th fairway, but opted for less expensive lodging in order to get in more golf and say within budget.

Saturday night she had the European Soccer championship game on, with complimentary food laid out. Again, wasn't overly busy but it was a nice time. I played soccer in high school and can appreciate the talent of the best players in the world, but when you don't care who wins it's extremely boring to watch. 

Enjoyed interacting with Heidi's regulars -- she seemed to know everyone.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

13 hours ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

It was fine -- very simple rooms over a pub. We looked at it like we had a full service bar and breakfast counter in our basement. It was an easy walk to restaurants, and about a 20 minute hike to the Old Course - 30 if you walked along the shore by the old cathedral and castle. 

It was very bare bones -- full bed and twin bed with a full bath. Desk with a hot water pot and instant coffee - plenty of room. Only thing missing was a mini-fridge for snacks or bottled water.  The pub downstairs was fine - not terribly busy though, but fine. Heidi, the owner, made breakfast to order for us every day, and we gave her enough notice she's prepare a bagged breakfast for us if we were leaving early, as we did Saturday to play Kingsbarns. 

We could have stayed in a  nicer hotel - even had an option to stay at the Rusack right along the 18th fairway, but opted for less expensive lodging in order to get in more golf and say within budget.

Saturday night she had the European Soccer championship game on, with complimentary good laid out. Again, wasn't overly busy but it was a nice time. I played soccer in high school and can appreciate the talent of the best players in the world, but when you don't care who wins it's extremely boring to watch. 

Enjoyed interacting with Heidi's regulars -- she seemed to know everyone.

I've stayed at B&Bs in Murray Park, those are similarly no-frills kinds of places, but more than adequate, considering how much time we actually spent in the rooms.  The New Inn sounds perfect to me, locals to chat with, a pub on site, good breakfast, and in a quieter end of town so you could sleep early if you chose to.  I'm not a person who prefers luxury, I'll keep the New Inn in mind for my next visit.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I've stayed at B&Bs in Murray Park, those are similarly no-frills kinds of places, but more than adequate, considering how much time we actually spent in the rooms.  The New Inn sounds perfect to me, locals to chat with, a pub on site, good breakfast, and in a quieter end of town so you could sleep early if you chose to.  I'm not a person who prefers luxury, I'll keep the New Inn in mind for my next visit.

Same, I would rather skimp on the room to increase the golfing experience.  If you spend tons of time in your room then you are doing it wrong.  I am there to golf.

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

@GolfSpy Barbajo The St Rule trophy was just played over the NEW and OLD course. Thought it might interest you to see this as it's just gone up.

1 hour ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Same, I would rather skimp on the room to increase the golfing experience.  If you spend tons of time in your room then you are doing it wrong.  I am there to golf.

For the next trip I'm thinking of staying in the North Berwick area and focusing on the East Lothian courses - with a day trip to St. Andrews if we can secure tee times. Our guy Jack said the accommodations are much less expensive down that way and the courses -- North Berwick, Gullane and if we say our prayers and do good deeds - Muirfield - are amazing. 

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

7 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

@GolfSpy Barbajo The St Rule trophy was just played over the NEW and OLD course. Thought it might interest you to see this as it's just gone up.

Awesome video -- Jen Saxton from ShotScope was in the field - she fired a -5 in her second round at the New Course and a -2 in her third round, but still finished back in the pack. She's one of the best golfers I've ever played with....

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

3 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

When I was there in 2012 we arrived on the first day of the St Rule Trophy competition.  After a bit of lunch (and a pint or two) we decided to play, so we went out to the Links Clubhouse, and were told that the first tee on the New Course was open.  Little did we know that we were only about 2 or 3 holes behind the last group of women playing the St Rule.  We were going out, 3 old guys with creaky swings, watching these young ladies with real golf swings coming in.  The next morning we had some time, so we watched a bit of play on the Old Course, and were all very impressed.

BTW, that was the most tired I can remember being on a golf course.  Red-eye flight, drive from the airport, walk around the town, lunch and ale, I had about 12 holes of golf in me.  Unfortunately, the 13th tee is about two miles from anything, so we had to keep playing.

Edited by DaveP043

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

2 hours ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

For the next trip I'm thinking of staying in the North Berwick area and focusing on the East Lothian courses - with a day trip to St. Andrews if we can secure tee times. Our guy Jack said the accommodations are much less expensive down that way and the courses -- North Berwick, Gullane and if we say our prayers and do good deeds - Muirfield - are amazing. 

So jealous!  One day I would love to do this, it is def on my bucket list!  First up though is Pebble in two years so I am looking forward to that trip!  However, my buddies and I will start to look into St. Andrews this year and make a 5 yr plan for it.  So glad you had a great time!!!

• 3 months later...

I'm new to this site so a tad late to this topic...A few suggestions. Muirfield teetimes are thru their website. If you wish to book mid summer...You must lock a teetime up about 16 months in advance. All next summer is sold out and has been for a while. The one thing I do that reduces cost the most is book a house or apartment for group. My priority is always the golf...rooms are secondary. I have booked apartments a par 4 from 1st tee Old. It cuts your cost in half for lodging. The whole thing around advance tee times at the Old makes Scotland a tad difficult. With the exchange rates the way they have been now and the last few years...It's a great time to go. I just booked teetimes for Carnoustie for next summer...Booked our apartment and am interacting with the other courses we are playing. Kingsbarns always twice as 2nd round half price and it is the best in St Andrews...North Berwick is also a must. Fill in with a few others in the area around those. All good stuff. I've done 20 trips to the British Isles and have set them up myself after figuring out what the real costs were after the first few trips...

Epic Flash 9 &15

Titliest 915 18&21

Staff 5 to G

Ping SW

Wide Flange LW

TM Spider X

On 5/29/2019 at 2:25 AM, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

It was an awesome experience - shot an 83 with a triple on the front (damn bunkers!!) - and there was a 78 or 79 to be had

That's fantastic... both actually completing a bucket list item and your scores!  Great pictures and playing in the wet (or threatening) stuff makes it all the better.  They charge a little more on wet and windy days, right? 🙂  OK, now onto another benefit of playing that area; how's the beer and spirits?  Lastly, did you do this as part of a "golf" package trip?  If so, would you mind sharing the details.  Thanks

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I did a trip this July over the 4th holiday (was in St Andrew's the week prior to the 4th). Took the train from London to Edinburgh, stayed overnight in Edinburgh, then trained over to Luchars, and caught the bus to St Andrew's. Got in about 12:30pm to St Andrew's, dropped my clubs off at my residence (a University of St Andrew's dorm across from the Dunvegan) and walked to the Old Course starter. I was last on the list for the day (#72), and walked over to the New Course and went right off on the 1st tee. Walking back to check in to my residence (check in time was 2pm), I stopped off at the Old Course starter to see how it was going (about 5:15pm). The lovely woman at the desk told me to hang out as the afternoon tee times are reserved for the R&A. If members don't show up on the tee box, they send out whomever on the list is hanging around. Long story short, I went out at 6:10pm on the 2nd to last tee time on the day. Was dead tired, but nutted a drive just short of the berm on 1 and chipped on and made par. The wheels came off on the 2nd 9 (holes 27-36) for the day, but it was worth it. Played Carnoustie (Buddon) the next day, then was 1st off the New Course at 7:30am on day 3, before catching the 2pm train back to Edinburgh, then back on the London. 

I got a sub $100 rate/night through booking.com at McIntosh Hall which was spartan (the co-ed bath/shower rooms were unique), but I wasn't spending time in the room!

Here's a pic at the Jigger in overlooking the Road Hole and 1/18....

65119714_10156703246227945_5927752027571486720_o.jpg

Using a random assortment of generic stuff with last gen Golfsmith Snake Eyes forged irons. 

• 5 months later...

Just now saw this--- I know I am always late except for food and tee times!!!------ And John can certainly relate to this because he can be old school---- I would love to play any of those courses over there and I would play it with my vintage stuff and of course carry one of my 1 irons. I would not give 2 hoots if I shot as good as John did or shot 100. I would love it to be a windy day so I could find an excuse to hit a bunch of those quail high stingers with the 1 iron.  Actually for me it would not necessarily have to be a high profile course like St Andrews it could be an every day working man's type course for me. On the Motel hole I do not think even with a modern driver now I can hit it high enough to clear it over the top but will bet you even money I can aim left of the road and cut it around the corner with the persimmon driver or 1 iron. That would be fun fun fun. I have "friends" on WRX that live over there and have posted pics of their regular everyday courses and those are intriguing to me also. It would be a long journey to me because I absolutely do not fly so I would have to go by boat

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I must have missed this too.  I told me wife recently that I want to do a Scotland golf trip for my 50th birthday and The Old Course is at the top of my list.  Ive seen that theres travel agents who offer packages that get you on the OC.  I believe the one I saw was called, "St Andrews Experience" and they offer packages that guaranetee you a round on the OC and then rounds on several other courses in the area.  I believe they start at around $5K, which is expensive but when you consider its a 4-day stay and play package that includes accomodations at the Old Course Hotel and 4 rounds of golf, I feel like the expense is worth not dealing with the hassle.

Anyways, yeah, bucket list course and when the day comes for this trip, I probably wont believe Im actually there.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Zen if you get a chance go for it wide open!!!

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G