Wedgie

Wilson Duo Balls Cracking

Our Sponsors

I got a SkyTrak for Christmas and when I’m home I play about 72 holes a day. I switch balls a bunch and haven’t had any issues with any balls but the Duo Softs. I got these as a secret Santa gift and have cracked all but 3 of them. I would throw them away but decided to keep them and they are only lasting about a day which can be maybe 150-200 hits.

The Wilson Duo Pro lasts forever and so do Srixon and Titleist balls. Anyone else seeing this?

IMG_1103.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Sad 1

Can't say that I have, but I've never hit them on a sim either. Duo along with the QST are my normal gamers and have been for a number of years. I've never even gotten a gouge in one, never mind a crack.

I'd hit them up via email or Twitter to inquire and let them know what you've seen. They're usually very responsive and helpful. 

Talking to a fitter several years back he had to take a coupe balls out of the rotation in the tour van fitting bay at pga ss because trey were dead. As soon as he heard the contact he said that ball is dead and the results showed it too with some weird spin and ball flight. He said balls have about 120 hits in them before they start to lose effectiveness. You are basically hitting that mark in one day if only using one ball each day

• Like 1

He said balls have about 120 hits in them before they start to lose effectiveness.

I have heard about balls cracking in simulators due to the sudden stopping from the high speeds but have never heard this. I guess I need to switch balls more often, been using the same ball for the last 4 rounds. The ball looks so dirty one of my playing partners was giving me grief about how bad it looked, but I haven’t noticed any performance issues. Maybe I will switch next week
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I have heard about balls cracking in simulators due to the sudden stopping from the high speeds but have never heard this. I guess I need to switch balls more often, been using the same ball for the last 4 rounds. The ball looks so dirty one of my playing partners was giving me grief about how bad it looked, but I haven’t noticed any performance issues. Maybe I will switch next week emoji26.png

The fitter had worked for Adams before they went out of business and was saying based on testing they used to do that’s where they saw drop off. I know at my range we see some older balls do funny things in the air. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Talking to a fitter several years back he had to take a coupe balls out of the rotation in the tour van fitting bay at pga ss because trey were dead. As soon as he heard the contact he said that ball is dead and the results showed it too with some weird spin and ball flight. He said balls have about 120 hits in them before they start to lose effectiveness. You are basically hitting that mark in one day if only using one ball each day

For the hell of it I kept hitting a cracked ball and when you say a ball is dead you aren't kidding.  The thing would go nowhere.  A Srixon XV I use has maintained its ball speed after several hundred hits so i keep going.

• Like 1

I would definitely contact Wilson about this and if they give you the brush off let them know you have posted here. MGS has a lot of credibility with all the manufacturers even though they do not kiss their butts and take their money 

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

My gosh man. What is your ball speed? DeChambeau at 200 mph?? lol

Edited by mysterygolfguy

On 2/23/2020 at 7:54 PM, Wedgie said:

I got a SkyTrak for Christmas and when I’m home I play about 72 holes a day. I switch balls a bunch and haven’t had any issues with any balls but the Duo Softs. I got these as a secret Santa gift and have cracked all but 3 of them. I would throw them away but decided to keep them and they are only lasting about a day which can be maybe 150-200 hits.

The Wilson Duo Pro lasts forever and so do Srixon and Titleist balls. Anyone else seeing this?

IMG_1103.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie,

I went through a period where I liked hitting those soft balls...Wilson Duo....Callaway Supersoft.  They felt like the old balata balls to me  

Anyways, they all would crack after I used them for a couple of rounds....or hitting them a couple hundred times into my indoor net.  Stopped using them because of the cracking.