Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Alignment top line or not

treeleaf20

What are your thoughts on having a top line on a blade putter? I don’t know of many other blades with a top alignment line other than a seemore. I have it on a mallet or two like the phantom x 5 and think I like it compared to it on like a Newport 2 for example. The only problem is I think I focus too much on the alignment being perfect (I usually have a line on the ball to a spot I want to hit at). Not sure if a ping PLD would be better with absolutely no line. Curious on others thoughts about the alignment marks. I like the feel of a blade better because it just feels lighter but not a lot of options if you like the top alignment aid. 

3 hours ago, treeleaf20 said:

What are your thoughts on having a top line on a blade putter? I don’t know of many other blades with a top alignment line other than a seemore. I have it on a mallet or two like the phantom x 5 and think I like it compared to it on like a Newport 2 for example. The only problem is I think I focus too much on the alignment being perfect (I usually have a line on the ball to a spot I want to hit at). Not sure if a ping PLD would be better with absolutely no line. Curious on others thoughts about the alignment marks. I like the feel of a blade better because it just feels lighter but not a lot of options if you like the top alignment aid. 

https://www.golfdigest.com/hot-list-2017/golf-clubs/blade-putters/odyssey-o-works-2017

I’ve never had one of these but I always thought it was a great concept for a top line aiming player. 

70DEB1E8-1437-47ED-AE78-85FF7261C30E.jpeg

D       ______ Ping G400
F{3|15} ______ Cobra King F9
X{3|19} ______ Ping G425 Hybrid 
I{5|24} {6|27} {7|31} {8|35} {9|40} Callaway Apex CF16

W{45|50} _____ Vokey SM8
W{54|58} _____ Vokey SM9
P ____________ L.A.B. DF 2.1 w/ Stability

9 hours ago, treeleaf20 said:

I prefer alignment aids on the top line; it can be a dot or line for me.   There are a few options out there for a line on the top line but not a lot or require special order.   Look at Edel, Odyssey has had a few over the years (looked at milled collection line if you don’t like the soft insert), sik, Ping, Taylormade, and the smaller boutique brands.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

My personal preference is a line on the flange with a clean top line.  

I am currently getting used to my Newport 2 Jet with a line on the top line - and nothing in the flange...

image.png.a670601d7759b9a8163f2890d94fd87d.png

but my special select 2.5 has the flange line that I'm used to. 

image.png.9dfe11bb94eb94909abacddb148dd1d3.png

I also spent a fair amount of time with a 2 ball Ten (clean with no alignment mark other than the circles)... I guess I just need that line pointing down my target line to help my stroke stay on path.  

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

1 hour ago, Tiftaaft said:

I am currently getting used to my Newport 2 Jet with a line on the top line - and nothing in the flange...

I also spent a fair amount of time with a 2 ball Ten (clean with no alignment mark other than the circles)... I guess I just need that line pointing down my target line to help my stroke stay on path.  

That's crazy - those are so different, and yet I can see both helping in their own way.  I absolutely love how clean and simple they feel.  I've never had great success with an Anser-type putter - probably why the DF2.1 feels right at home - nothing 'subtle' about it at all, lol.  Though in a fitting I did last year, I discovered that more alignment aid for me is not better - simpler is better, for whatever reasons. Maybe that's why both of those Scotty's seem so clean - especially the Jet. God that's pretty.

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

1 hour ago, Samsonite said:

That's crazy - those are so different, and yet I can see both helping in their own way.  I absolutely love how clean and simple they feel.  I've never had great success with an Anser-type putter - probably why the DF2.1 feels right at home - nothing 'subtle' about it at all, lol.  Though in a fitting I did last year, I discovered that more alignment aid for me is not better - simpler is better, for whatever reasons. Maybe that's why both of those Scotty's seem so clean - especially the Jet. God that's pretty.

It is no mistake that the DF 2.1 I was drawn to is the one with a single line in the "flange" (if that is what you call the back part of the DF2.1 putter).  

image.png.dcc1f72fedd535ffdbe9bdf4f888fcb3.png

But I am 100% with you on the looks of the Jet... I will overcome my need to have that back flange alignment if I have to revamp my whole putting stroke to do it!  haha.

Edited by Tiftaaft
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

20 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

It is no mistake that the DF 2.1 I was drawn to is the one with a single line in the "flange" (if that is what you call the back part of the DF2.1 putter).  

But I am 100% with you on the looks of the Jet... I will overcome my need to have that back flange alignment if I have to revamp my whole putting stroke to do it!  haha.

Yeah, I went with this guy - so far ZERO complaints 🙂 Pretty clean and simple.

image.png.800edf2296fd4b81692517a08d639258.png

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

I do like the three dot line... I could swing that 🙂

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

6 hours ago, Tiftaaft said:

Oh man, I'd buy that Jet Newport 2 in a second. I love the Scotty's and love the look of the jet alignment. I'll probably never see one in the stores but that is a thing of beauty and really the only thing keeping me from the traditional blades.

What is your best tricks for alignment when it's on the flange and a top flat line?

I use the alignment aid/arrows on my ProV1 and line up the flange line on my 5 yr old Scotty Select Newport 2 Notchback. Kind of like an extension of the line through the putter. Getting excellent results.

20220831_213315.jpg

20220831_213426.jpg

It's not about how well you're playing, but who you're playing with.

9 hours ago, Tiftaaft said:

9 hours ago, Samsonite said:

Yeah, I went with this guy - so far ZERO complaints 🙂 Pretty clean and simple.

image.png.800edf2296fd4b81692517a08d639258.png

this guy just shipped to me. For whatever reason that long top line really appeals to me in person.  If this DF fits me as much as I hope it does, I may have a polar stability shaft installed so when I look down it’s all red white and green. 

BB43BCAF-825B-4FA9-9EF3-A55A7BBB253D.jpeg@Tiftaaft ‘s ‘jet’ is a thing of beauty, but i’d be tempted to keep it totally clean. 

7B0A109E-9F68-4401-B75E-8D81730F06CE.jpeg

Edited by ryan.mzzz

D       ______ Ping G400

W{45|50} _____ Vokey SM8
W{54|58} _____ Vokey SM9

26 minutes ago, ryan.mzzz said:

this guy just shipped to me. For whatever reason that long top line really appeals to me in person.  If this DF fits me as much as I hope it does, I may have a polar stability shaft installed so when I look down it’s all red white and green.

BB43BCAF-825B-4FA9-9EF3-A55A7BBB253D.jpeg@Tiftaaft

You know, in my call with Sam Hahn (NAME DROP MUCH?), he said that he spoke with an opthalmologist-golfer who says that everyone should putt with a red putter, since it gives the most clear distinction from the green (opposites on the color wheel). I found that to be super cool. Maybe one day (when I've finally captured all the monies) I'll build a Mezz in red and see if it makes any quantifiable difference. 

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

I am a feel putter. Alignment lines on the ball are a distraction to me. But the alignment line on my odyssey stroke lab double wide really helps me with my focus.

Callaway Epic Max driver

Callaway Big Bertha 3 hybrid

Callaway Mavrik Max 4-6 hybrids

Callaway Mavrik Max 7-AW irons

Callaway MD 5 sand and lob wedges

Odyssey Stroke Lab Doublewide putter

1 hour ago, Samsonite said:

You know, in my call with Sam Hahn (NAME DROP MUCH?), he said that he spoke with an opthalmologist-golfer who says that everyone should putt with a red putter, since it gives the most clear distinction from the green (opposites on the color wheel). I found that to be super cool. Maybe one day (when I've finally captured all the monies) I'll build a Mezz in red and see if it makes any quantifiable difference. 

I read your final testing report when it was published, along with the rest. Just reading them made me think twice about signing up for testing, you guys did so much work on those tests. I appreciate it though. 

Edited by ryan.mzzz

D       ______ Ping G400

W{45|50} _____ Vokey SM8
W{54|58} _____ Vokey SM9

It’s a personal preference so I’m not sure why what someone else thinks matters. My last blade putter had a single line on the flange (used) with two indents on the top (used only to center), and I prefer that. A single line is all I want, blade or mallet. But if someone else is more confident and successful with three lines, a “T”, just dots or nothing - that’s what they should use.

Alignment lines and dots wouldn't be a distraction for me at all, I only use them to align myself with the ball before I putt. Once I'm ready to start my backstroke and thereafter, I am looking only at the ball. Are other people looking at the putter during the putting stroke?

cer2-1_2.jpg

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

I like a simple line, mostly to make absolutely sure I've centered the ball on the face, but secondarily to make sure my putter face is aligned with a target spot a foot or two in front of the ball. I've even ground a faint line in an old Anser I used to use for this purpose.

I don't like using an alignment stripe on the ball itself because then I end up focused too much on the mechanics of lining up the ball instead of focusing on making the putt itself. I get too fidgety if I'm doing the ball alignment thing.

Callaway Epic Flash Driver (9 degree), Callaway Mavrik 3W, Titlelist 910H 3h, Taylormade Speed Blade irons (4i-PW), Kirkland v1 wedges (52-56-60), Odyssey Versa 7 putter. All clubs R-flex

On 8/31/2022 at 4:02 PM, treeleaf20 said:

Oh man, I'd buy that Jet Newport 2 in a second. I love the Scotty's and love the look of the jet alignment. I'll probably never see one in the stores but that is a thing of beauty and really the only thing keeping me from the traditional blades.

What is your best tricks for alignment when it's on the flange and a top flat line?

I am not a fan of using alignment marks on the ball. 

But in my routine I pick my intended line based on my read of the break and extend that line the distance of hole.  Then I set up, and look down my intended line toward the hole and trace it back to my putter.  That traced line should match the alignment mark on my putter..  if not, I adjust and trace my line back to the putter again, until I have the intended line and my putter alignment mark matched up.  Then I start my backstroke using the alignment mark as a guide.  

That sounds a lot more complicated than it is...  basically I match the intended line with the line on my putter, and start my stroke using the putter marking as the guide.  

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

As many lines as I can get.

I use the line on the ball for putts and on the tee box to align for a spot in the fairway I want to hit. I also should state that my course has many tee boxes the align you into trouble. If you square yourself in the tee box your adding strokes quickly.

IMG_0946.jpg.7014332514f2eb904ddaef20ad58bf01.jpg

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

15 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I use the line on the ball for putts and on the tee box to align for a spot in the fairway I want to hit. I also should state that my course has many tee boxes the align you into trouble. If you square yourself in the tee box your adding strokes quickly.

IMG_0946.jpg.7014332514f2eb904ddaef20ad58bf01.jpg

Same here!!  I think the kids that mow align the tee boxes however they want... they don't play golf anyway!!

I also add one more line perpendicular to the line on the ball so I can square the putter face to it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

9 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Yes, the greens crew at my course are specifically devious with their tee box setup as well.  haha.

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

11 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I also should state that my course has many tee boxes the align you into trouble. If you square yourself in the tee box your adding strokes quickly.

This is something I simply don't understand....I do but seems odd.  I just use the tee box markers as a line to be behind and I assess where I want my shot to start and find a spot on the ground to align too.   The tee markers are never in my thoughts regarding alignment.  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

27 minutes ago, cnosil said:

This is something I simply don't understand....I do but seems odd.  I just use the tee box markers as a line to be behind and I assess where I want my shot to start and find a spot on the ground to align too.   The tee markers are never in my thoughts regarding alignment.  

It is more the tee box than the markers. It's a course design illusion. It visually guides you to go one direction but the fairway could be off of that square tee box to the left or right.  I'll try to take some pictures of a few tomorrow. It will make more sense.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

5 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

It is more the tee box than the markers. It's a course design illusion. It visually guides you to go one direction but the fairway could be off of that square tee box to the left or right.  I'll try to take some pictures of a few tomorrow. It will make more sense.

It makes sense and I understand what you are saying.  It is how the straight lines try to align you;  It is something that I just find easy to ignore.   

During my Ping PLD fitting, my fitter made a good point. He said for players with a strong arc, long alignment lines can mess with you if you see the line on the putter moving in a strong arc during the stroke. As a result, I have gone just an alignment dot. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

I stopped using a mallet putter because I found it it tricky to align accurately and repeatedly.

I’ve always been a good putter but since getting my “Inbee Park” putter I have improved even further, with confidence.

I like the dots to be on the front of the putter, not so much for ‘stroke alignment’ but for centering the putter to the ball.

I believe poor putting lines are often due to weird stance etc, some players are quite contorted when they putt 🥴

eg my eyes are directly above the ball and my ball position is literally the ball width in front of dead centre of my stance, such that the putter face is square at 90 degrees, if the ball was dead centre the putter is open and not square,

works for me😉

8A647618-A57D-4591-92D0-172544BB2AD8.jpeg

1FE8D8F6-B97C-405E-A6C1-B5DC37E58D50.jpeg

Keen amateur 

Cobra King F9 driver

Callaway 3w & 5w

Taylormade M4 5-PW

Cleveland RTX mid grind 50, 58, 56, 60

Oddysey Versa Sabretooth putter (as used by Inbee Park)

Bushnell Pro X3 Rangefinder