Testers Wanted! Takomo Long Game Clubs ×

Found this article interesting

Javs

I am a low single digit handicapper and I am not sure I agree with her assessment of the WHS. Every club and event will have those that pad their handicaps. However, I still have won plenty of events in our groups/men’s club events. What do you think? Has your handicap increased under WHS? I know I improved my handicap over the past couple years. It wasn’t attributed to the handicap system. It was through hard work and more time to get on the course.
https://www.golfmonthly.com/features/why-the-world-handicap-system-has-ruined-golf-for-low-handicappers?utm_term=CFEB69DA-8695-406A-822D-71925C4B6E39&lrh=afabd56f8788996dec1eed39e53e29756a4fe34c1aff9fa4fdfa9f254cbb042a&utm_campaign=075440B8-601C-4440-A9B1-8A7444061AA8&utm_medium=email&utm_content=CCF7D7D3-F40A-47AA-A6A2-C378E3346491&utm_source=SmartBrief

Play like a champion today!

The only assertion I agree with in this article is, "now I can come down a whole shot in a matter of weeks by playing consistently well."

in response to this and your question, my handicap has gone down a bit, and I concur with the author that it slides downward much more quickly at a rocket's pace, but taking several "bad" rounds to slowly inch up. I think this helps keep the sandbaggers who play in any tournament that automatically records that score.

I have to ask what tournaments she is playing where A-flight, Division 1, etc. Players are competing NET, vs. Flighted gross. Other than our men's club tournaments, every "tour" I play with is GROSS for <9 handicap players due to fighting. C-flight or Division 3, and up, are the only ones playing NET.  THAT is what makes it hard for me to compete. As a 4-5 playing against 3.5-8.4 players I hold pretty well, I am worried about dropping below 3.4 and having to compete GROSS against a +2. Nightmare.

• Driver - Ping G400 9°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 65 gr. 
  • FW - TM M3 3-wood 15°, Project-X HZRDUS Red 6.0 75 gr. mid-spin
  • Hybrid - TM M4 19°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 85 gr. HY 
  • Irons - TM P790, 3-PW, Oban CT-115, PXG 311 P Gen 6
  • Wedges - Mizuno T20 Ion blue 52/9 & 56/14, N.S. Pro Modus3 S-flex
  • Putter - Evnroll ER2 Garsen Max grip
  • Getting a grip - oversize Winn DryTacs and Bionic gloves
  • Ball - ProV1, AVX, Maxfli Tour, PXG
  • Bag(s)/cart - Vessel Player III Rovic RV1S and Alphard V2

7 minutes ago, Subdiver1 said:

The only assertion I agree with in this article is, "now I can come down a whole shot in a matter of weeks by playing consistently well."

in response to this and your question, my handicap has gone down a bit, and I concur with the author that it slides downward much more quickly at a rocket's pace, but taking several "bad" rounds to slowly inch up. I think this helps keep the sandbaggers who play in any tournament that automatically records that score.

I have to ask what tournaments she is playing where A-flight, Division 1, etc. Players are competing NET, vs. Flighted gross. Other than our men's club tournaments, every "tour" I play with is GROSS for <9 handicap players due to fighting. C-flight or Division 3, and up, are the only ones playing NET.  THAT is what makes it hard for me to compete. As a 4-5 playing against 3.5-8.4 players I hold pretty well, I am worried about dropping below 3.4 and having to compete GROSS against a +2. Nightmare.

Great comments and agree with your assessment as well. I didn’t really like her comments on the handicap system. My experience with flighted events is similar to yours. Usually 9 and below play gross not net. 

Play like a champion today!

I didn't get it either until I noticed she was from England. I believe their change was a lot more severe than we in the US had (some of our fellow foreigners could correct me if I am wrong). Now she is just experiencing what we in the US have been dealing with forever. Low handicaps should play gross events only. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

It sounds like it's the way the tournaments are set up is the issue for her.  The tournaments I see around me are flighted and it prevents what she is talking about. 

The other interesting part of her write up is that it almost sounds as if she doesn't understand the new system 100%.  She talks about always putting in scores but then later on talks about not being able to because some of the holes are closed during winter.  My understanding of the new system is that you can now put in partial scores and it will calculate the unfinished. 

The club doesn't want to do flights but that sounds like they don't want to do multiple winners. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Sounds to me like there's a lot of sandbagging going on.

Edited by MattF

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

2 hours ago, MattF said:

Sounds to me like there's a lot of sandbagging going on.

The amount of sandbagging is only perceived higher. There was a big thread not long ago on a similar topic of sandbagging and how lower handicap players are at a disadvantage from it.

Are there sandbagger? Sure. Is it rampant? Nope 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1