Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What is the most under appreciated brand in golf?

Don't think or believe there is one right answer, but with so many brands in the market there are likely some doing amazing work that just don't get the recognition. L.A.B. could definitely be one of those, but their tour success has certainly vaulted them. 

Red Rooster is our unheralded glove brand that does do much but is very much an unknown outside of some forum and other spaces. 

what do you think?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I think DTCs like Haywood, Takomo and Red Rooster are brands that a few years ago were totally unheard of.  All are basically DTC that built their brand through Instagram.

I remember putting these names in my bag and guys would just grab it and ask me all about it.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:titelist-small: U-510 19 Utility Iron HZDUS Smoke Black 6.0 Stiff

:Takomo:  5-PW 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Loyal MCC Plus 4 Sensor User

PowerBilt, they don't sponsor anyone on the tour and their price reflects that. I had a $250 set of PowerBilt clubs that served me faithfully and well for over 25 years. Last year I got fitted for a set of Pings and I'm not sure they're any better than what I had been hitting.  

WITB

Calloway Hyper X Driver TaylorMade SIM2 Max D

Paradym 3-wood

Ping G430 3-hybrid

Ping G430 4-PW

Ping 50, 54, 58 wedges

Old ass putter from my old bag TP Hydro Blast Soto

3 minutes ago, KC Golf said:

One name to add in shafts  Accra.  Canadian based company.  Owned by True Temper. Great shafts.  Surprising amount of pros play it.

I agree. I have worked with ACCRA Golf since long before they were affiliated with True Sports (True Temper). Some of the best shafts ever, and their proprietary “DyMatch” (dynamic matching) system is unequalled in the industry.

I was just on a 2-hour call with Gawain Robertson, ACCRA’s CEO, last night, and attended a dozen or more of their “golf days” at the PGA Merchandise Show over the years that I have worked in the industry.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

6 hours ago, KC Golf said:

One name to add in shafts  Accra.  Canadian based company.  Owned by True Temper. Great shafts.  Surprising amount of pros play it.

Second!  ACCRA absolutely make wonderful shafts, and they are typically priced less than some well known competitors.  

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 & 5 Woods (:Fuji: MotoreX F1 7-S)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrid (:Fuji: MotoreX HB 7-S)
  •  :Miura: CB-57 4-P or Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (KBS High Rev 125)
  • :scotty-small: Special Select Fastback 1.5
  • :redrooster: Gloves
  •  :maxfli: Tour X Balls

Don't count my clubs!  Ha.  The 4 iron, 5 hybrid, and 53* Cleveland are in and out of the bag depending on mood, course, and moon phase.

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

OEM I would say Tour Edge. DTC I’m a huge Sub 70 fan

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

On 3/12/2024 at 5:45 AM, funkyjudge said:

From my perspective, it is Tour Edge Golf, and their Exotics line in particular although the Hot Launch line is improving greatly too.  It's getting a little better with all of the exposure that Tour Edge is getting on the Champions Tour, plus a little exposure recently on the DP World Tour. However, Tour Edge is still seriously underappreciated, IMO.

5 Minutes Later -- And like clockwork, this article shows up in my inbox:

Exotics C723 Fairway Woods Winners on PGA TOUR Champions!

https://mail.aol.com/d/folders/1/messages/ACxS0E4A4fQ2ZfBTOwVXMDeLhgo?reason=invalid_cred#:~:text=Exotics C723 Fairway Woods Winners on PGA TOUR Champions!

I agree with Tour Edge. As a casual golfer I have found the Hot Launch line to be very good. But they are usually seen as “less than”.

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

Some really good answers already on this thread. I want to echo the nominations for Srixon, Cleveland (I honestly don't get why none of the Cleveland/Srixon guys on Tour use their putters), and Tour Edge (love their FW and hybrids, especially).

Cobra drivers likely belong on this list.

I'm going to zag a bit here: I could almost make the case that both PING and Titleist are underrated, just from the perspective that TaylorMade and Callaway are both so flashy that PING and Titleist seem almost staid and pedestrian by comparison. So while it seems weird to say to two of the behemoth OEMs are in any way underrated, I'm willing to be a little weird.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

On 3/12/2024 at 4:44 PM, Shrek74 said:

For me, Wilson and Maxfli and the big most obvious brands.

Wilson has been around for generations as is the winningest brand, especially in majors. But now it's all but forgotten. Sadly, it has some of the best irons around (Staff Blades, Staff CB, Dynapower Forged) that no one will game or even try for the most part.

I think Maxfli is well known here on the forum and MGS, but for the most part, they're still looked at like a Top Flite out on most courses. I play them and will continue to do so long into the future.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Exactly the same for me. Wilson and Maxfli.  I actually just checked on the Dynapower Forged yesterday.  Inventory issues (with heads). I need the length 1/2 oversize and 1degree flat, so they have to be built.  Well, that might be a good thing. It shows that there is a demand.  

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I have always played Cleveland wedges and always will. I have tested and tried other brands but for me Cleveland is tops. 

I love Cobra for drivers. I kept a Cobra F8 driver in the bag longer than expected because of its performance. Now have a F9 Speedback that I love.

Tour Edge for me is the most underappreciated. They make such great stuff from top to bottom. Love the fairway woods and irons they make.

Never really paid attention when it came to putters. For me, that's the one club where the brand makes no difference. If I can not make putts with a Scotty but I can drain them with a Top Flite putter then I am using the Top Flite. Having said that I think Odyssey is the top. 2Ball is and was the best putter ever made. 

WITB

Cobra F9 9° Speedback Driver

Callaway Apex UW 17° & 19°

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 21° Hybrid

Callaway Paradym 5-Pw Irons

Cleveland RTX4 52° & 56° Wedges

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback Putter

Sticking with the popular theme here: Cobra woods and Cleveland wedges. Neither get the love they deserve while going up against the big dogs. I get while most people would put them in the "B list" category compared to the TM, Callaways, etc., but I've played both of those brands in the respective categories and loved them. For balls I would say Maxfli. One of the guys I play with gives me crap for playing the Tour S and Tour but I had him hit one compared to his ProV1 and he was impressed, only down side is I wont be getting the ones he finds in the woods anymore. 

Driver: PXG Black Ops, Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairways: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 3 and 5 wood, Project X Riptide CB 6.0

Hybrid: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 22 degree, Project X Riptide 6.0

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 5 5-PW, Project X LS 6.5

Wedges: PXG SG2 50, 56(55), Modus 125 Wedge; PXG SG 2 60, KBS 130 Wedge  

Putter: TaylorMade Spider GT Red SB

Ball: Maxfli Tour S

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

Sub70 wedges are the only one that I have experience with and it has only been for a few weeks but, I am impressed so far. Quality product, great price, and built to order for my specs in quick time. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

I think srixon has gained some traction since the koepka signing awhile back but at my surrounding course you dont see them anywhere.  Their entire golf lineup has always been solid. 

WITB

I’ll go with Tour Edge for this reason. A lot of casual golfers who are not tuned into gear would skip over Tour Edge for a bigger brand. 

Pound for pound it’s the best product for the money and the best value. 

A long time ago when I was in club sales, I’d love to toss in a Wilson Deep Red, Nicklaus air max and a Cleveland launcher to the R580 and 975J test just to see a reaction. 

Our shop sold more of the former than the top names combined that summer. 

Moral of the story…there’s a lot of great product hidden in plain sight.  

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Tour Edge is a great answer. They consistently release great gear that's far less expensive than some of the bigger names. 

I'd vote Cleveland and Wilson/Staff for those reasons as well, however I just feel like Tour Edge gets even less mention than those two. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I admittedly have a soft spot for this brand but I think Cobra is very underrated, for the big brands, across the board. They make amazing Drivers, Woods, Hybrids, and even putters. I appreciate that they are always innovating and trying something new even if it doesn't always stick. I just got on of their 3D printed putters on sale and so far have been blown away by the quality and performance. They also consistently out perform much more expensive options in the driver market.

With that said I think the truly underrated and underappreciated brand is Sub70. Their customer service and product offerings are top tier. You can get custom irons for 600 dollars and talk to the owner directly by just giving him a call. That's hard to beat in the modern golf world where a new set of custom irons is 1500+ and you have to go to a fitter to ask any specific questions about the product.

Edited by aguybadatgolf

Tester for PingS159 Wedges

Driver - :cobra-small: LTDx LS 9° with UST Mamiya LIN-Q Gunmetal - X

3W - :callaway-logo-1: Paradym 15° with Kai'li™ White - X

3H - :PXG: Gen5 0311 19° with Ventus Blue Velocore - X

Driving Iron - image.png.e20decc564f669047d8ef7d2dbd4734d.png 699 Pro with UST PROFORCE V2 Hybrid White/Yellow - X

Irons - :Sub70: 6-PW 699 Pro in black with Dynamic Gold X100 (+1", 3° Upright) - X 

Wedges - :callaway-logo-1: 50° Jaws MD5, :callaway-logo-1: 54° Jaws MD5, :titleist-small: 58° Vokey SM8 

Putter - :bettinardi-1: Studio Stock #2 Bronze , :cobra-small:KING 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter (Trying something new), 🦓 Zebra Golf AIT 3 (On time out)

Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV or :vice: Pro (depends on what I can get a deal on) 

So everyone already mentioned my two choices, which are Tour Edge and Wilson. The better question may be if a brand has been well-known that they're underrated due to their overrated nature. Kinda like a post-hype sleeper player in fantasy sports.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

1 hour ago, Berg Ryman said:

So everyone already mentioned my two choices, which are Tour Edge and Wilson. The better question may be if a brand has been well-known that they're underrated due to their overrated nature. Kinda like a post-hype sleeper player in fantasy sports.

giphy.gif

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Srixon, Wilson for irons of the bigger names on tour. LAB obviously has gained a ton of traction. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter