Designing an MGS Links Course

Our Sponsors

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would be so down if there was some way to make this come alive! We even scouted out a couple of likely pieces of vacant coastal land in New Zealand!

Just doodling at work while waiting for automation to do it's thing. I think 9 at 630 yards should finish a beast hard uphill cut over the lake and a big false front.  

This idea seriously started with me being an ass to Brad, he texted me whining how none of his New Zealand courses had maps on the cards and wondered how hard it would be to map from Google.   I lit

Posted Images

• SPY VIP

If u guys had pga championship golf 2000. We could design a course to play..:)

Stinks the new games now have no course architect,,all arcade based

ya that was an awesome feature of the old games the course builder. I had jack Nicklaus golf in the late 80's and made courses daily.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP
twitmbp.jpg

wimb2.jpg 

latestreview.jpg 

• 1 year later...

There was a time when I would have had the time to do it with some kind of topography to start with. I have too much going now to do much with it. I don't have my rendering software now either for that matter.

I suggest that 17 be an island green, surrounded by sand, thus offering a soft buffer between the green and OB. For a hole that long and difficult, you have to give some sort of saving grace for crazy winds and slightly offline shots.

#17 at Apple Tree GC in Yakima Washington from the tee box

golf1.jpg

Go for it!  I'd like to see an MGS designed course.  If you want comments/suggestions as you go, fire away.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

This is pretty cool!

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ Diamana Ahina 80X 44"
Fairway Metal- Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta 3W 13* w/ Matrix 7m4 X 42.5"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP-18 FLI HI 3i and 4i w/ KBS C-taper lite X
          Mizuno MP59 5i and 6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 56* bent to 55* w/ rifle spinner shafts

and Titleist Vokey 60* M grind

Putter- Never Compromise Dinero Mogul
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B XS

Bag- Ogio Aquatech Cart Bag

• SPY VIP

This idea seriously started with me being an ass to Brad, he texted me whining how none of his New Zealand courses had maps on the cards and wondered how hard it would be to map from Google.

I literally mocked this quick doodle and replied with: "There you go, all done"

designcourse.jpg

I would love for us to roll with this original and it's extended versions just to see our little joke make for a little creative fun. Maybe I can get my hands on The Golf Club Game and design it in the virtual world.

• Like 1

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP
twitmbp.jpg

wimb2.jpg 

latestreview.jpg 

• 3 months later...

OK, I had to revive this thread from last year since we have been discussing similar topics in the current thread on "Course set up and pace of play"

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/14146-course-set-up-and-pace-of-play/

and another thread from last fall...

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/11857-what-makes-a-great-golf-course/

Everyone over the past year has had good ideas on how to make a golf course more playable and enjoyable for everyone, including improving pace of play, but I dare say that the discussion is slightly skewed to the abilities of the MGS members commenting.  That's not bad, because we are the people that can effect change.  But we have to do something more than just talk.  Current designers do not seem to know how to incorporate these features into a course.  They just keep building on the same theme from the past 20 years.

There is an old Japanese proverb that I like to use:  "A vision without action is a dream, Action without vision is a nightmare."  

So, my question is:  What happened to designing an MGS course?  Is it just a dream, or can MGS exert some influence in future course designs to provide a better experience for all golfers?  Whether or not we actually develop an MGS course, or provide a unified forum voice to course architects willing to to listen to what we have to say, doesn't really matter.  However, we should at least try to make a difference, either on future courses, or improvement of existing courses.

Is this really possible?  Or is this just a dream?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

#17 at Apple Tree GC in Yakima Washington from the tee box

attachicon.gifgolf1.jpg

Go for it!  I'd like to see an MGS designed course.  If you want comments/suggestions as you go, fire away.

I played this course. And Yes I hit the Green in Regulation.  I should have, it is almost as big as Rhode Island. The cart path from the teebox is treacherous. Oh yeah, I also 3 putted it.

• Like 1

Driver:      :mizuno-small:  ST190G on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190TS 15° on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Hybrids     :mizuno-small:  CLK 22 & 25 (set to 20° & 23°) on Fujikura SPEEDER

Irons:     :mizuno-small:  MP5 5-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52*, 56* & 60* on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: 2018 Select Newport 2

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:

Range Finder: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

I played this course. And Yes I hit the Green in Regulation.  I should have, it is almost as big as Rhode Island. The cart path from the teebox is treacherous. Oh yeah, I also 3 putted it.

It's an OK course, but not my favorite in the area. Yeah, the first time you play it, it looks intimidating, but the green is huge and you have to seriously misclub or mishit to miss it. Just hitting the green is not a gimme par that's for sure!

Surprised you didn't run any holes along the water given the prime coastline opportunities

That other picture was directly overhead and I don't believe it gave justice to how a large portions of the greens are near the edge of a cliff. Also there are lots of elevation changes on this course.

It was a lot of fun.

Links at Sheepard's Peak II.jpg

Driver:      :mizuno-small:  ST190G on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190TS 15° on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Hybrids     :mizuno-small:  CLK 22 & 25 (set to 20° & 23°) on Fujikura SPEEDER

Irons:     :mizuno-small:  MP5 5-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52*, 56* & 60* on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: 2018 Select Newport 2

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:

Range Finder: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated