ole gray

Random Thread

Our Sponsors

In another installment of “you can’t make this stuff up”, Hunter Mahan’s wife is suing her brother in law for a 500k life insurance policy. The brother in law is SMU head golf coach Jason Enloe. Enloe’s wife died of leukemia in 2018. Which was the sister of Mahan’s wife.

Hunter Mahan has just shy of $30 million in career earnings. I guess they need that additional 500k for an 11th bathroom addition, a Kobe mural in the family gym and a 17th car!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Beautiful....

• Like 1

13 hours ago, russtopherb said:

I know we've got a few musicians in here, so I thought I'd share my winter project. I picked up this Special Edition Strat for $33.01, it showed up covered in sticker residue, dust and all other sorts of junk. The electronics were shot, but the neck and the body were in great shape (aside from one chip on the body that I didn't see until I cleaned it).

84352763_10163136073240089_4364883732876754944_o.thumb.jpg.f654837fff22d386d20cc37d1a072d11.jpg

Some elbow grease and Goof Off later, it looked way better. The neck, while straight, was bone dry and it looked like someone had stuck a pick in the high strings and left it there for at least 10 years or so. Look at the first fret, you can still see discoloration after 3 applications of lemon oil.

83430156_10163136075860089_3422406928465133568_o.thumb.jpg.29b9dc9ed62dd24f77be478ee00f2098.jpg

I wanted to go a bit retro and upgrade the pickups, so I ordered an aged white pearl pickguard with some lower level Alnico V pickups. Once that I came in, I soldered and installed it and here's the final product.

83623662_10163136077375089_8150368053876490240_o.thumb.jpg.7b4e3beee6001e51109d1b183034be5c.jpg

Total cost: less than $60. New these went for around $325, and they're great because they have full size necks and bodies unlike a lot of newer Squiers. It's not as good as my buddy's American made Fender Strat, but I can't play guitar well either so this one does me just fine. 

Nice work - is that a black lacquer finish? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Nice work - is that a black lacquer finish? 

Yes it is. I went with the aged pearl pickguard to give it a little more of an understated look. I've seen some black lacquer Strats with bright white pickguards and they never look quite right to my eye.

47 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Yes it is. I went with the aged pearl pickguard to give it a little more of an understated look. I've seen some black lacquer Strats with bright white pickguards and they never look quite right to my eye.

nice choice on the aged pearl!

• Like 1

Here's something completely random...

I was contacted by one of the owners of The Grint yesterday and was asked if I'd start a new chapter in my area. Of course I said yes, so those of you in the Akron/Canton area and use The Grint (and those that don't), in the next few days to a week, there'll be a new chapter in our area. It'll be call Akron TG Golf Club.

Stay tuned.

• Like 4

Callaway rewards program is really bugging me! Saved up a bunch of points and want to get a new bag. Tried in December but the bag was sold out. Told they would be back in stock in January. Waited through January and nothing available. Waited through PGA show for new bags to appear on site. Reward program is still listing last years bags so still can’t use the points. Callaway please update the rewards site to include available product!!!

On 2/7/2020 at 6:21 PM, russtopherb said:
I know we've got a few musicians in here, so I thought I'd share my winter project. I picked up this Special Edition Strat for $33.01, it showed up covered in sticker residue, dust and all other sorts of junk. The electronics were shot, but the neck and the body were in great shape (aside from one chip on the body that I didn't see until I cleaned it).
84352763_10163136073240089_4364883732876754944_o.thumb.jpg.f654837fff22d386d20cc37d1a072d11.jpg
Some elbow grease and Goof Off later, it looked way better. The neck, while straight, was bone dry and it looked like someone had stuck a pick in the high strings and left it there for at least 10 years or so. Look at the first fret, you can still see discoloration after 3 applications of lemon oil.
83430156_10163136075860089_3422406928465133568_o.thumb.jpg.29b9dc9ed62dd24f77be478ee00f2098.jpg
I wanted to go a bit retro and upgrade the pickups, so I ordered an aged white pearl pickguard with some lower level Alnico V pickups. Once that I came in, I soldered and installed it and here's the final product.
83623662_10163136077375089_8150368053876490240_o.thumb.jpg.7b4e3beee6001e51109d1b183034be5c.jpg
Total cost: less than $60. New these went for around $325, and they're great because they have full size necks and bodies unlike a lot of newer Squiers. It's not as good as my buddy's American made Fender Strat, but I can't play guitar well either so this one does me just fine. 

My first guitar when I was 12 was a squier strat Wayne's worlds edition. It was the catalyst to nearly 30 years and about 40 guitars worth of playing.

In all that time I also learned to wire, solder, replace, repair, and for about 35 seconds considered a luthiery trade.

One of the bands that I played in, my main guitar was a US les Paul classic honey burst that cost $1800. It was a beauty and a beast. The thing was heavy as $#!t and was really only good for gigs. My backup was an Epiphone LP gold top that I paid $250 for. Had some Gibson 72 pickups put in for an extra $100. The thing sounded and played every bit as good as my US and literally weighed half as much. After the band split, I sold the US LP and continued with the Epiphone for years and played in 2 other bands. In the end I think I had more memories and wrote more music with the Epiphone.

If done right and maintained correctly, those can be some sweet guitars.

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

Edited by azstu324
  • Like 2

Off to meet up with some folks @ Red Sox Nation and “Oil Can” Boyd.IMG_0635.PNG

• Like 4

On 2/7/2020 at 1:38 PM, Shankster said:

Oh... I’m sure it’s going to happen.

My youngest wants one... what better way to teach him than showing him...? emoji51.png

It’s been about 18 years since I was on my last skateboard. Remember that day vividly, I was 18, hadn’t skated in a few years, went out and bought one all tricked out... went to my favorite skate park, fell on my you know what, found the nearest kid and handed it to him and never looked back.

Hmm... something ain’t right upstairs to make me think I can try that crap again... 18 years later... great.

I did this a few years ago, not with a board but with a bike. Tried to show my kids I could still do a wheelie. 6 stitches in eyebrow and I haven't tried since.

• Like 5

Off to meet up with some folks @ Red Sox Nation and “Oil Can” Boyd.IMG_0635.PNG.cdbccc746b4f73f2392e2d476f109658.PNG

That's honestly one of the coolest nicknames ever. Never got to see him pitch, that I can remember. Growing up watching baseball in the south we only had two options, the Braves on TBS and the Cubs on WGN.

It sounds like you're going to have a great time, enjoy it!

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

That's honestly one of the coolest nicknames ever. Never got to see him pitch, that I can remember. Growing up watching baseball in the south we only had two options, the Braves on TBS and the Cubs on WGN.

It sounds like you're going to have a great time, enjoy it!

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

IMG_0640.JPG
“Oil Can” lookin good, that’s him on the left
He’s not what we expected, he’s a character and very funny.
Found out where the nickname came from will add to thread later.

• Like 4

114,115 years of YouTube video is consumed DAILY! Over a billion hours per day...

That’s just the tip of the social media consumption iceberg.

Whoa!

• Like 4

114,115 years of YouTube video is consumed DAILY! Over a billion hours per day...

Whoa!

That is absolutely insane.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Whoa!

• Like 2

44 days till “Hello Friends”

• Like 2
  • Love 2

21 hours ago, Shankster said:

Whoa!

Well, here's another one...  84 year old grandma sinks 94 foot putt to win a car!!  She's looking good for 84.

• Like 7

Marathon training has commenced.

Approximately 35 weeks until show time.

Planning a half marathon at the half way point.

I talked a bunch of people at work to sign up for it... so I’m committed now.

What did I get myself in to?

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Marathon training has commenced.

Approximately 35 weeks until show time.

Planning a half marathon at the half way point.

I talked a bunch of people at work to sign up for it... so I’m committed now.

What did I get myself in to?

😮

• Like 2

I’m officially removing myself from all social media platforms, effective immediately. (Except YouTube)

Can’t believe the amount of trash that is posted online. Simple mistakes turned into month long battles. Won’t be missed.

• Like 6

I’m officially removing myself from all social media platforms, effective immediately. (Except YouTube)

Can’t believe the amount of trash that is posted online. Simple mistakes turned into month long battles. Won’t be missed.

We will miss you around here, this is actually a social media platform.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2