Do Golf Shoes Help You Play Better?

Our Sponsors

Are metal cleats still allowed? Definitely not on our course.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Yes Zach Johnson still wears them. Most public courses do not allow them but maybe some private do.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Longer post than I would have liked and slightly off topic but felt the information could help someone avoid my issues.   I used to think golf shoes were something of a "money grab" and completely u

No but I think the wrong shoe would probably make you play worse. It's comfort above all! 

With these threads about golf shoes going on, I've been online looking at shoes the past few days. Don't ya hate that. Most of my emails lately have been about golf shoes. I think it's a sign.    

Yes Zach Johnson still wears them. Most public courses do not allow them but maybe some private do.

Really? Haven't seen them in don't know how long. I don't know a course that allows them.

Of course if a Tour Pro shows up with them nobody will say anything, at least to their face.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

The private courses we play at in northwest Ohio don't allow them.

• Like 1

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra F Max 5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Really? Haven't seen them in don't know how long. I don't know a course that allows them.

Of course if a Tour Pro shows up with them nobody will say anything, at least to their face.

Yea I heard him clinking away this past year

• Like 3

I am a big fan of Zach but I didn't know he still wore nails. That's interesting. I know with my swing and balance that shoes play a huge part in my game. Love spikeless but they have to be really “grippy” with a lot of lateral support.

• Like 3

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

It took me 35 years of blisters (9 years of them caddying as well as playing) to finally learn that good socks are worth the money. The 18th hole is much easier when your feet are not screaming at you with every step.

Indeed socks are SUPER important! Not long after becoming a member here, I found a thread about socks and heard nothing but "Kentwool, Kentwool, Kentwool". So I took it to heart, ordered some and never looked back. These combined with any of my retro leather shoes are money! No aches, no pains, no blisters, no s#$%!

• Like 4

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Indeed socks are SUPER important! Not long after becoming a member here, I found a thread about socks and heard nothing but "Kentwool, Kentwool, Kentwool". So I took it to heart, ordered some and never looked back. These combined with any of my retro leather shoes are money! No aches, no pains, no blisters, no s#$%!

I've been lucky, never had a foot blister in my life. Been Foot Joy guy for years. Even with the Army boots, no blisters.

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

I've been lucky, never had a foot blister in my life. Been Foot Joy guy for years. Even with the Army boots, no blisters.

Lucky you. Every new golf shoe gives me blisters no matter what.

• Like 1

Lucky you. Every new golf shoe gives me blisters no matter what.

Sorry to hear that, has to be a PIA. I've got Heel spurs which is a different problem.

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

That's amazing. I don't get them much anymore, but I've had my share.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:cleveland-small: Halo 3h

PGF Southpaw 7W

:ping-small:  Eye 2  5-SW  or

:wilson-small: C200 5 - AW

:cleveland-small:  Oil Can 56* and 60*

:rife-putters-1:  2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Kentwools are sweet. I only have one pair, though.

I've also had good luck with the FootJoy ProDry. And if it's really hot or really wet, I'll change between nines.

• Like 1

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Iron - :mizuno-small: FliHi (18*) - Recoil 760 ( S )
4i - GW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
SW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :srixon-small: Z-Star XV
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I would fully expect that a pair of well fitting, comfortable shoes would improve you scores / ability to execute over the course of a four hour day. Your ability to plant firmly and make an athletic motion with a golf club go thru your feet, so why wouldn't you spend some time and effort to make sure you have a pair of shoes that allows you to perform at your best? This is different than saying 'go buy brand X' or ' go buy the most expensive shoe' because your individual performance and needs will vary. I think it is similar to a saddle or handlebars on a road bike...you want something that fits you, and fits well. The same obviously goes for your interaction with your grip and glove...only other physical connection to your equipment.

• Like 4

Driver:      Ping G30 Fujikara Atmos Tour Spec Blue Stiff

Fairway:   Ping G30 3 Wood Stock stiff shaft

Hybrid:     Ping G 3H Stock stiff shaft

Irons:       TM R7s 4 - PW Stock graphite stiff shaft (sorely need to upgrade to heavier shaft)

Wedges:  Cleveland 52 / 56 Stock

Putter:     Odyssey White Hot 2Ball 

Ball:        Callaway Chrome Soft

I am actually surprised that use of golf shoes is even debatable. If we were on dry level ground all of the time, I don't know that you need them, but terrain is inherently uneven, sprinklers running when you least expect, have to hit a shot near water, etc. I have played without them, but prefer not to. I started out playing on the old fashion metal spikes. Many older golfers will probably relate to this, the feeling that holes were being slowly drilled into the bottom of your feet after walking 18 holes.

I always wore them though even if painful because I knew they gave me more control.

• Like 1

Driver Taylor Made M2 Ping G 3 wood 14.5 loftPing G hybrid 19Hogan Radial 3-PW(forged circa 1989)Evnroll ER2, Golf bag, old and worn out circa 1989

I don't believe that there is legit and game improvement other than keeping you from sliding out of position.

I can shoot just as well I'm sneakers as I can in my golf shoes but will occasionally have a foot slip when going after a big drive.

Adams Speedline 4G ultralite driver stiff shaft

Taylormade SLDR driver extra stiff shaft

Ping G20 3 wood stiff shaft

Adams redline 3&4 hybrids stiff shaft

Adams redline 5-PW stiff shaft

Titleist Vokey sm5 wedges 52, 56, 60

Boccieri golf Heavy putter

The data are in- golf cleats CAN make a difference in your game. Plus they seem to lessen the risk of mechanical injury...

• Like 1

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

The data are in- golf cleats CAN make a difference in your game. Plus they seem to lessen the risk of mechanical injury...

Definitely safety.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

Definitely safety.

Especially on a hilly course

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra F Max 5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I wouldn't say that any particular shoe will shave strokes off of your game. Although, many manufacturers would like to make that claim. Coming from the someone who used to work for a very large athletics manufacturer, there is absolutely no way that they could legitimately state a shoe can help in your performance.

However, They can absolutely help traction (so your not slipping in your swing), underfoot comfort (reduce shock and impact on your joints), and even rotation/lateral stability (again, to help your performance to create energy from the ground). 

That being said, I despise the skechers brand as I think their product is cheaply made, but I absolutely swear by their GoGolf spikes. The underfoot comfort is leagues above any of the other brands. I like to walk on the course and have not had any knee or lower back pain. I experienced severe pain and loss of toenail in the UA spikeless.

• Like 1

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

I agree with the comfort aspect. I love Skechers GoGolfs own two pair myself

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Mizuno JPX EZ 3W, 14U

Cobra Fly-Z Hybrid 18.5

Titleist 816 H1 23

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Yeah, I'm all for comfort first. My teacher fits for a brand of insole whose marketing says it can improve one's stroke by improving stability. Who knows.

In my travels, I always stop at golf stores and try-on all of the brands. Skechers is always at the top for comfort for me! Do they help my score? I don't know, but I'm comfortable!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"