jlukes

2020 MGS Most Wanted Driver Results

Our Sponsors

2 minutes ago, daviddvm said:

I was fit at a Callaway fitting two weeks ago into the Mavrik Sub Zero 10.5 with Evenflow RipTide 6.0. S shaft.

One day after "The Pandemic" clears I want to be fit for the Ping G410. Then I might be in the market for a purchase. 

Ditto!

Looking forward to some upcoming demo days where a good number of vendors are present and you can hit multiple clubs.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Remember what Adam has always said, There's no one driver that is best for everyone, but there is one driver that is best for everyone.  With so many testers, 37 I think,  there were certainly a handful where the SIM ranked as the best for them, but just not for the majority of the group.   But I  certainly understand the part about wanting to wear the badge of playing the Most Wanted Driver, nothing wrong with that at all. 

Having had the SIM MAX for a few rounds then moving on from it, I think  it definitely isn't a plug and play driver, it maybe more than any other driver out this year requires a thorough fitting from a qualified fitter.    

I'm glad it works for you, TM makes great drivers, and I  have hit the SIM MAX-D better than I did the first model.  But it still lags a bit behind my TS1. 

Totally agree. I tried the ping and didn't get the best numbers from it. I would have just liked the bragging rights of the 2020 best driver award haha. At minimum I know the award is based on results and not paid for like other well known "hot lists". 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 3/23/2020 at 2:06 PM, heribertomaya said:

I have to be blunt and say I dont like the format of this report,  why not just provide the distance in yardages,  i wont even bother reading that chart with just %s,  its of no use to me and I know it will be the same for most.   My 2 cents there.

I tend to agree with the format.....not as hardcore as this but i am not sure how drivers with so many different factors included can be compared. Different shaft lengths, different lofts, different shafts?  No robot testing?  Ill be honest, im a little confused. Maybe i expected something totally different.  but the bottom line is stats can be manipulated anyway you see fit.....so, because some testing parameters changed, certain drivers are now viewed as "middle of the road"...even though they still fly just as far and disperse the same.....i gotta say, play what works for you not what a test dictates.  I am very disappointed in this test to say the least. 

Edited by Tsecor
  • Love 1

On 3/24/2020 at 1:14 AM, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Anyone have any plans to make a purchase based on the results released today?

I updated my driver last summer to the G410 plus OTR. It feels good, but I definitely want to spend more time playing with the settings after the lockdown ends. Based on last year’s most wanted driver article, my brother picked up an Epic Flash, and he’s mightily pleased. 

A fitting is in my future, but at the moment I’m happy with what I’ve got.

• Like 1

I thought I heard there were plans to test the winners from previous years against this years most wanted winner. Is that information out there or was i mistaken in thinking that?

13 minutes ago, JB2123 said:

I thought I heard there were plans to test the winners from previous years against this years most wanted winner. Is that information out there or was i mistaken in thinking that?

Correct. 

But a little thing called a pandemic is delaying any further testing 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, JB2123 said:

Testing hasn't gotten started for this.   Last time I was there,  the previous winners were available and they were working on processing the data for this years winner.   a couple of days later,  got the email that all testing had been shutdown. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

Correct. 

But a little thing called a pandemic is delaying any further testing 

58 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Testing hasn't gotten started for this.   Last time I was there,  the previous winners were available and they were working on processing the data for this years winner.   a couple of days later,  got the email that all testing had been shutdown. 

Thanks! That makes sense. I'll be excited to see the results once this is all over and they have time and the capability to do that testing once again.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2020 at 2:14 PM, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Anyone have any plans to make a purchase based on the results released today?

Not sure yet, but I've been looking for a G410 LST 10.5 driver head just in case 😉

Hey y'all - I pulled some insights out of the data from the 2020 Most Wanted post. Curious for any thoughts/feedback from everyone:

• Like 2

One of the drivers I was keeping an eye on was the TR20 460. I have the TW747 in the bag for a bit and it performed very well, however up against a new Speedzone fully custom fit I think the shaft characteristics were slightly off. They now openly offer both the FD and FP shafts as options.

Were the testers able to put those options in play?

6 hours ago, jayjay0808 said:

One of the drivers I was keeping an eye on was the TR20 460. I have the TW747 in the bag for a bit and it performed very well, however up against a new Speedzone fully custom fit I think the shaft characteristics were slightly off. They now openly offer both the FD and FP shafts as options.

Were the testers able to put those options in play?

For the Honma drivers we were using the Vizard shafts since that are the no upcharge shafts. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, cnosil said:

For the Honma drivers we were using the Vizard shafts since that are the no upcharge shafts. 

I understand that, I was just asking which of the VIzard shafts as they have 3 types for the TR20. The Vizard Made for TR20, Vizard FD (Justin Rose Used this), and the FP (Lowest Launch and Spin)

48 minutes ago, jayjay0808 said:

I understand that, I was just asking which of the VIzard shafts as they have 3 types for the TR20. The Vizard Made for TR20, Vizard FD (Justin Rose Used this), and the FP (Lowest Launch and Spin)

The FD and FP are $100 upcharge shafts. 

• Like 1

Was anyone else surprised that the Cobra Speedzone driver was near the bottom in strokes gained after last year the F9 driver was the Editor’s Choice for drivers?

• Like 2

I'm also surprised the Extreme finished higher than the standard Speedzone. Maybe we'll see different results with Cobra when they break down results by speed.

Well....

As ZIPR23 texted me, I just need to stay inside, close the windows and doors, and hideout for a bit! Between the Jones bag and this, my luck has been HORRIBLE this week.

The Rep is sending me his Ventus fitting shaft for now. He’ll let me know how they’ll handle this soon.

60746325512__9222B60E-9129-4679-A87B-4F147D51476F.JPG60746326763__FD243300-745B-425D-A85C-D504C85A7196.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Sad 5

Well....
As ZIPR23 texted me, I just need to stay inside, close the windows and doors, and hideout for a bit! Between the Jones bag and this, my luck has been HORRIBLE this week.
The Rep is sending me his Ventus fitting shaft for now. He’ll let me know how they’ll handle this soon.
60746325512__9222B60E-9129-4679-A87B-4F147D51476F.thumb.JPG.040a4bcd2451cd4c13c03baf295c790a.JPG60746326763__FD243300-745B-425D-A85C-D504C85A7196.thumb.JPG.aeff726c1bdc9757495b02603687d271.JPG

That stinks. Must be swinging to fast

Well....
60746325512__9222B60E-9129-4679-A87B-4F147D51476F.thumb.JPG.040a4bcd2451cd4c13c03baf295c790a.JPG60746326763__FD243300-745B-425D-A85C-D504C85A7196.thumb.JPG.aeff726c1bdc9757495b02603687d271.JPG

I hate to see something like that. Hopefully your luck will get better soon, you don't need that kind of bad mojo right now.

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

I see you sacrifice forgiveness for distance with the Mavrik.  No surprise there