You only have $20 at the pro shop to buy some balls for your round???

Buffly

You show up to the course and check your bag to find no more golf balls!!! Oh no! You check in at the golf shop, and for whatever reason, you don't have any more than $20 to buy some golf balls for your round. What do you buy on the spot?

Assuming club prices are as follows: premium tour level urethane balls are $15/sleeve of 3, cheap 2 piece balls are $20/dozen, and mid-grade 3 piece non-urethane balls are $10/sleeve of three. (We can ignore tax for simplicity)

Which category and ball would you buy and why? How does that compare to your normal gamer?

I am assuming most golf shops don't have any direct to consumer balls like Snell, Cut, or Vice, but I will leave it up to what your local shop carries. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

If I showed up at the golf course and discovered I had no balls in the bag, I'd open up the hidden compartment in my car, above the spare tire, and put the emergency dozen balls I keep there into the bag.  Those balls are always there, and are there for exactly that reason.  I played a round a few weeks ago and got down to 2 balls in my bag after losing 2 on the 2nd hole.  I think that's the closest I've ever been to DQ'ing myself from a round of golf.

But I get it, it's a (unrealistic) hypothetical, I'd probably buy a sleeve of Titleist AVX in yellow and head to the first tee.  I doubt I'd need more than 2 balls to complete a round anyway.

• Like 7
  • :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I'd buy one sleeve of pro v1s, then troll the banks of all the water hazards with my ball retriever for additional balls.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 6

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

19 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I would buy one Top Flite Gamer ball. As hard as I try, I can't lose one of these. Two rounds in with a single ball. I bet if I play any other ball, i will lose it.

Yep.  Buy a dozen ProV1 and commence at blowing through them in a handful of rounds.  One crappy ball you find in the woods - play it until the cover comes off 5 rounds later.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Easy, a sleeve of Pro V1’s. And I’d be on the lookout for lost balls during the round, though odds are I wouldn’t need them.

• Like 5
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT

1 hour ago, Mr. 82 said:

If I showed up at the golf course and discovered I had no balls in the bag, I'd open up the hidden compartment in my car, above the spare tire, and put the emergency dozen balls I keep there into the bag.  Those balls are always there, and are there for exactly that reason.  I played a round a few weeks ago and got down to 2 balls in my bag after losing 2 on the 2nd hole.  I think that's the closest I've ever been to DQ'ing myself from a round of golf.

But I get it, it's a (unrealistic) hypothetical, I'd probably buy a sleeve of Titleist AVX in yellow and head to the first tee.  I doubt I'd need more than 2 balls to complete a round anyway.

LOL about like me---- In the last year or so between the 9 and dine and the dogfights I have won quite a few dozen. I think I did look the other day and had 4 dozen Q Stars and another dozen Cally  Super Softs Plus my shag bag.  As SOP for me I rarely carry more than 6 balls in my bag--- If I lose more than 6 balls in a round I am doing one of two things either hitting the range or going home. At this stage of life it is more than likely home. Usually I just grab a sleeve out of the car and throw in the cart.

• Like 6

Driver ---- TM M-6 Evenflow 65 G R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel Ust Pro Force 65 R flex---  Irons 4 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts-- SW Cleveland 588 56* S-400 Sensicore---- LW Cleveland 588 60* S-400 Sensicore--- Putter Rusty 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft- Bag My Old School Titleist Mini Staff

I would buy one of the collector logo balls and then fill my bag at the range and troll the course while I play till I find a prov1.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Don’t take range balls from the range.
This is theft.
Range balls cost more than you want to think about, and when people steal them, the courses have to replace them.

It is remarkable to me that people think “I paid $6 for this small bucket, so the balls are mine to use anywhere I want to”.

Makes me nuts.

Sent from OregonMyGolfSpy
  • Like 6
  • Love 3

Driver - :taylormade-small:   SIM2 Max 9° Tour MT 6-S   or   :srixon-small: ZX 7 9.5° Ventus VeloCore Blue S
Fairway - :srixon-small: ZX  3 wd. Ventus VeloCore Blue S

Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 18° GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 18° AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7  Aerotech SteelFiber 110icw  4-Pw 1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Raw 50° 54° 58°  TTGDTI S400 1° flat

Putters -   Cameron Phantom 5x/Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Austin/Odyssey 2 Ball DFX/ TaylorMade Spider
Tour Black/Ping Anser F/Scotty Cameron TeI3 Sole Stamp Newport 2. All with different grips, weights, and lengths.

6 minutes ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

Range balls cost more than you want to think about, and when people steal them, the courses have to replace them.

At the club I worked at growing up, we had to pick the range clean every Sunday night ahead of the Monday mowing.  We'd walk it with shag bags after the last trip with the picker.  If it rained and balls plugged, we'd be out there with screwdrivers.  The pro made sure we all knew how much range balls cost him.

• Like 5

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
GW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :taylormade-small: TP5X Pix
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

3 hours ago, tchat07 said:

I would buy one of the collector logo balls and then fill my bag at the range and troll the course while I play till I find a prov1.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

That's whorable!!!! At least your honest. I was expecting someone would say they would look for more on the course, but I didn't think it would be the first response!!

I will have to say that I do not condone using range balls on the course - ever - to me it is just plain theft of course property. 

I almost put a course logo ball as an option too!

• Like 1

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

2 hours ago, Mr. 82 said:

AVX is an excellent choice!!! 

17 minutes ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

This is theft.

It is remarkable to me that people think “I paid $6 for this small bucket, so the balls are mine to use anywhere I want to”.

Makes me nuts.

I'm right there with you! It is one of the lowest class things you can do on a golf course. Probably second only to driving a golf cart on the green. 

• Like 4

If it's a new course to me, I would pick up a logo ball ( I collect balls from courses I play) and a sleeve or two of mid priced balls. Not knowing the course could lead to a lost ball or two. Then keep my eye out for a better ball or two about 200 yards from the tee on the right side of the fairway just in the woods or rough or along the waters edge. 

• Like 3

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

9 hours ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

This is theft.

Makes me nuts.

I agree 110% especially for a independent family owned course like mine. A lot of members do like I do when we find balls we are not going to play we hit them over to the range. Now a lot of the cheap old fart retirees will get them from over there but with their game we find them again and recycle back to the range. The other week I started hitting from a 5 gallon bucket I found in the storage warehouse full of balls. And no it does not take away from range revenue one bit. I am a member and range balls do not cost me anyhow. About have that bucket empty now

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 7

Driver ---- TM M-6 Evenflow 65 G R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel Ust Pro Force 65 R flex---  Irons 4 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts-- SW Cleveland 588 56* S-400 Sensicore---- LW Cleveland 588 60* S-400 Sensicore--- Putter Rusty 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft- Bag My Old School Titleist Mini Staff

2 sleeves of the 3-piece balls and walking the tree line to snag a bunch more balls. 

Also, Snell are available in pro shops. Lots of courses in my area have been stocking them.

• Like 2

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

Would buy a sleeve of premium and a snickers 😂 as many others have said. Ball retriever will be broken out several times. Love filling the bag with some recently lost ones....always nice being at a course you know where to look for those too

• Like 4

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small: G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Thread

WITB:

:ping-small:  Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green  I :taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S I:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

3 ProV1s and finding some in the woods if I’m wild that day should be sufficient for me. I’ve played plenty of rounds without losing a ball.

The only consideration I’d add is if it’s more of a water hazard vs woods. Might be hard to Unlike [mention]Lacassem [/mention] I don’t carry a ball retriever around. [emoji1787]

I’ll add if they had Snell that’s the easy choice.

• Like 2

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope

12 hours ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

This is theft.

Makes me nuts.

Honestly, it's kinda stupid to play range balls on the course during an actual round, as most range balls are "limited flight" and won't go as far as a regular ball.

• Like 4