Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

The Cupped Left Wrist

Okay this one is always tough for me and I will try to explain why. I would say in the past 2 years I've seen much more consistency but still not there I would like it. Allot seems to do with. I have always had a cupped Left wrist (wrist bowed backwards or in extension)  at the top of my backswing. I have tried tons of ways but it actually hurts my wrist to go into flexion where my knuckles are more towards the ground. The only solution feels like a ridiculously strong left hand grip and I'm only about to keep my wrist out of extension and neutral as opposed to in flexion. Does anyone else have pain trying to get their wrist to flexion or at least neutral? Any tips on what I can try besides stretching exercises as I've done those? Thanks for your time

Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 project x LZ 60 6.0 handcrafted shaft

CallawayEpic Flash 3 wood

Callaway Big Bertha 3H

Titleist 818H2 4H

Callaway Big Bertha 19' irons 4-AW

Titleist SM7 Jet black with TT onyx black s400 shaft 50°

Callaway MD4 black 54° sand wedge

Callaway PM19 60° tour grey

Odyssey Toulon San Diego putter

1592935174442966599406225697326.jpg

Watch these 3 videos

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

4 hours ago, GivMeADouble said:

Okay this one is always tough for me and I will try to explain why. I would say in the past 2 years I've seen much more consistency but still not there I would like it. Allot seems to do with. I have always had a cupped Left wrist (wrist bowed backwards or in extension)  at the top of my backswing. I have tried tons of ways but it actually hurts my wrist to go into flexion where my knuckles are more towards the ground. The only solution feels like a ridiculously strong left hand grip and I'm only about to keep my wrist out of extension and neutral as opposed to in flexion. Does anyone else have pain trying to get their wrist to flexion or at least neutral? Any tips on what I can try besides stretching exercises as I've done those? Thanks for your time

There's nothing wrong with a cupped/extended lead wrist at the top of the backswing if you don't overdo it, such as allowing your wrist joint to collapse into some maximum extended position.

If you grasp the grip there is a natural 'cupping look' even though your wrist joint is basically neutral and not actively in extension, plus the average Tour Pro's wrists 'look' cupped (ie. measured as in extension) at the top of their backswing.

Why do you want to bow your wrists anyway, apart from getting forward lean in the later downswing?

Edited by Wildthing

A minimal cupped top is fine because the down stroke can take it out if sequenced correctly.      In terms of placing the lead hand, you could start by aligning the anatomical snuff box straight on top of the shaft's centerline axis, which will make locating the trail hand pretty easy.   

Edited by MacTourney

Good hand action comes from good body action.     

:macgregor-small:  :benhogan-small: :cobra-small: