Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Why is golf so expensive?

I guess my question (having not read the full thread yet) is really is it that expensive? It can be if you want it to be, however it can also be a very reasonable price if you want it to be. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

The Game can get expensive, it isn't expensive to start, but as you get better, the chase to get even better is what drives your cost. That extra yard, that 1 less putt, beat your buddy all factor into $$$$. And before you know it, you love the game and most people are willing to spend on something they love. 

Driver: Titleist TSi3 3W: TSR3, 5w Callaway BBti, Ping g430 Hybrid, Irons Ping i230, Taylormade MG 54, 58, Scotty Cameron Futura X5. Ball Titleist Pro v1x

17 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

It's called the zero factor! 

True example: At one time I worked for an Automotive supplier. We made the entire fuel system for many different cars. Pump, tank, heat shield. and gas lines.  I will use a Dodge Durango to show you. We sold it to Dodge for $110.00 and made a profit. I happened to own the Durango this went into. I went to the dealer and told them I hit a stump and ripped out the assembly (that we supplied) he told me the parts without installation would be $1,110.00.  Yup they added a zero.

The cost of a full set of irons is between $50 to $100. Yes, full set (materials and assembly). The range is due to cast or forged. What are you paying? Between $500 to $1000.  The zero factor again!

Currently with the new materials they can get away with more. Because we are willing pay more. Special titanium, carbon fiber faces, and such so the cost has gone up a little but now you are only at $130 or $140 so here comes the zero again. I just priced the new Callaway. Five iron to Gap wedge will set me back $1300. Obviously, I'm not willing to pay that but is shows the zero factor is alive and well. 

I think you are right Tom, that added zero is the markup to pay the people what they need in order to pay that added zero in everything we do, so we have the money we need not just for the fuel system parts but also the heat for the house, electricity for living, transportation to get the parts and such.  And proof of this to me is last time I talked to the boss about getting extra money into my paycheck he said no problem, my extra would be zero.

Derek 🖌️ Verified Hack, ~21 handicap 🙂  Golf for exercise and peace of mind.  ⛳

|> Big Dogs: First Strike Rattlesnake (10)TeelessTM (13), Tommy Armour TA1 3h :1332069271_TommyArmour: (19)Ginty Trouble Club 1582792763_GintyLogo(4)35h.jpg.fc3c835085ee4b6630b4ac7543b068c3.jpg (29)

|> Blades: First StrikeTM DeliveranceTM 4(23) 5(26) 6(29) 7(33) 8(37) 9(41) P(45)  

|> Wedges: Worx 429668682_worx30.png.ecb184a97c8fb80112252b57c05f40c2.png (55)  Lovett 1857218720_LovetSandWedge2(2)30v.jpg.e22c477791c7dd1d962d07e9624df8cf.jpg (59) 

|> Flatstick: L.A.B. Golf DF2.1  ⛳ 2104071333_DrizzleStickLogo25.jpg.4a85e684857a33281ff6a12753532913.jpg  1935535164_ZeroFrictionLogo25.jpg.4af6ce349cb7b5117d2a8bb409c4b51f.jpg :OnCore: :footjoy-small:

⛳  :1590477705_SunMountain:C130 Supercharged 🌲  :Clicgear:3.5+  🌳  1197970276_COBALTicon15tall.jpg.92ebd5a63e6ab7d194096885e37eeb52.jpgQ6 Slope   🏌️‍♂️ SwingU2023logowhite30.jpg.238c607458394f36c7b0cd29738166fc.jpgPremium  

💻 1529843961_EPLogosm.jpg.3a2a74e3a5b6c64d4cdd1489a5d253b0.jpgMGS Logo  🌐 646255544_dghLogo30.jpg.9383a65e038b6a10ea92d0ada58bbc58.jpgBall mark   ⛳   IGBRC  International Golf Ball Rescue Commission / Founder

295785881_PGAHOPE_H_4Ch30.png.6317ecb613080e94b9fe996cd81462c1.png Graduate/Mentor     1698190715_StickHackLogo2021(3)20pixelstall.png.f28e1067b8bbf26fbd9d4c6c277f1a5d.png "The World's Greatest Golf Club Without The Course" Member #334 

2020 Official Tester - PuttUp mat logo_full_331d238c-3cab-4f84-ac72-d09e86f448c5_300x-12.png.8c8aee17ee565b3b96970802313957f9.png ⛳  2021 Official Tester - Inesis Waterproof Grip Golf Shoes :Inesis:

2022 Official Tester - L.A.B.Putters 1382751340_L.A.B.Golflogo30.jpg.c054d635e47d481685d732a542e111af.jpg  ⛳ 2023 Official Tester - Red Rooster Sussex Golf Glove  :redrooster:

2023 Official Tester - Lean Lock Putter LeanLockLogo.jpg.79bf29d6bf78b2208e2a58de63e92193.jpg  ⛳  2024 Official Tester - Callaway Smoke Driver :callaway-small:

It's all lies I tell you, everywhere the golf ball comes to rest! ⛳

It does not have to be, At least locally there are several courses that offer memberships for less than 500 bucks,  Equipment prices are nuts, but come on that 600 driver, buy the one the produced 2 , 3 years ago and the performance is almost the same.   You can play golf and not break the bank if you do some homework

Three, Albatross'

Three Holes in One

Plus, when I was 5 the first ball I ever hit on a golf course went in the hole, so I have that going for me.

My bag is a mish mash of Srixon drivers, cobra and adams fairways, TA1 irons and Hopkins wedges, plus a Cure putter.  

We the consumers are paying theses high prices, so the prices will keep going up as long as we keep buying. It looks like PXG is a disruptor, as well as others, in pricing. If they and companies like Tour Edge, who produce high quality products, take enough market share, maybe the competitive forces will bring equipment prices down to more reasonable levels.  
As far as the courses go, public courses have to keep up with materials costs and improvements to keep golfers coming back for a good experience, and still make some profit.  If we want nice courses, we have to pay to play them. 

TSR 2, 11, Tensei blue regular flex, driver

TSi 2, 16.5, Tensei blue regular flex, fairway

Stealth, 21, Ventus Red 5-r, fairway

TSi 2,  24, Tensei blue regular flex, hybrid

AP3, 5i - 48*, Steelfiber I95, regular flex, irons

RTX 52, 56, DG Spinner, wedges

ER2, 33”  OR  ER 11v, 33” putter

1 hour ago, EasyPutter said:

And proof of this to me is last time I talked to the boss about getting extra money into my paycheck he said no problem, my extra would be zero.

Sometimes zero's stink. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

As the joke goes, why are golf and divorce so expensive? Because they're worth it.

Here in Massachusetts, I can spend $25/9-hole round at my local muni, join a semi-private for $3500/yr, join a decent private for $20k initiation fee and $7k/yr, or go all in on a high-end club with $50k+ initiation.

I chose the semi-private route. Last yr I played 161 times (3500/161) $22 per outing (mixed 9 and 18).  Honestly, I spend more on drinks and food per round than I do on the actual golf.

image.png.94f13df8145a5d3d3e8432352619fb85.png

The equipment prices are insane! Every single driver on the market including those priced $500-$600 cost the manufacturer under $100 to produce. The golfing industry is now experiencing jewelry store markup’s! The issue we have as consumers is that they use psychological manipulation on us very well. For example, look at a PXG driver that they had on sale a few months ago for $200, and set it next to a Taylormade for $500. Even if a person hit both drivers and they both performed the exact same, that person would gravitate towards the $500 driver under the assumption it’s better quality and blah blah blah. There is only 1 way to fix this and that is for golfers to stop buying outrageously priced equipment and the manufacturers will adjust accordingly. Unfortunately that will never happen because most people like to have the newest, shiniest, and most expensive things to show off. 

Michigan Golfer in the summer

FullSwing simulator golfer in the winter

Disposable vs discretionary - the average golfer has ”X” dollars to spend.  As others have noted there are “economical” ways to enjoy - used clubs, etc, playing 9 holes, off peak hours play.  Joining a club to have reduced greens fees or none.  Golf course management is expensive - agronomics, labor, machinery, etc add up real quick.  Think about it - not many can put up a golf course in their yard, but a mini basketball court…easy peasy.  For me - I have older clubs, more “OPB (found other people’s balls) than I’ll ever lose and some good local courses that play pretty well at reasonable rates.  I’m okay if that means I don’t play a round every day, just make the time spent that all the better.  

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

Why are the posts duplicating? 

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

1 minute ago, golfinnut said:

Why are the posts duplicating? 

Saw that too - me thinks MGS has a server issue…

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

When I started playing- I played twilight = very inexpensive. Also, I guess it depends where you are playing and what time of year. Florida during the winter $$$$$ Florida during the summer $.  Also latest and greatest driver/irons/etc $$$$$ vs 2-4 year old  $. 
I have had some of the most fun playing golf on some of the crappiest courses and using old equipment. Not about the course or the equipment! Game is about the people you are with!

Rogue driver

M6 fairway #4,#5

Cleveland Halo hybrids #2, #3

Cobra TEC King irons

Cleveland CBX wedges

Odessy ELEVEN TOUR LINED CS PUTTER

Golf is no more expensive than being a musician, a rec hockey player, a hunter, a sailor, etc. Every hobby costs money. In fact, golf can be far LESS expensive than many other things.

There are so many ways to do things affordably (not cheaply) and it's up to the individual on what path they want to take. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Others have offered great thoughts about this. Expensive is relative.

That said, as long as people continue to pay increasing prices for “the next best thing,” feel compelled to constantly buy new, for whatever reason/need, etc. prices will increase - because demand encourage it. 

Chasing my ball around the cow field, trying to avoid the “ruff.”

I guess it boils down to choices.  Golf, hunting, fishing, all sports are expensive if you want good equipment.  I personally like playing a our local muni where the rates run me less around $3600 a year with a cart for 100 rounds or that is what it ran in 2022.  I play in a men's league three days a week and we have dedicated times, but did not play for a couple of months due to medical issues.  Like the retired seniors I play with.  It is ranked #19 municipal in the US by golf.com and averages 65,000 rounds a year.  Private Country clubs here entry level to join are around $32,000 plus and can be up to $175,000 and run $2000 a month. There are a few Semi Private outside the city I live in for less.  You can make golf as expensive as you want it to be, again the choice is yours.  Nothing is going to change the costs of running the golf courses, or taking care of them.  The costs of goods will continue to go up as will salaries and the costs of doing business. You just have to learn to be creative if you want to play this crazy game.  Believe me, I am a very creative person, play the premium balls, equipment, shoes and apparel.  Being retired, I have to be.         

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

Golf seems expensive because it is when compared to other sports and what is recreationally available to most people.  The perception starts with youth.  A child can play ball games on a school playground, football or soccer in their backyard. Tennis or basketball at the city courts.  All these games can be played with really inexpensive balls, a glove, a racket, etc. You learn and practice these sports at home, school, or with friends in a pickup game.  You generally don’t need to drive long distances and pay a $25.00 or higher fee just to walk and play.  Oh yes, you can argue that Seve Ballesteros learned with one club or you can play with a ball you found in the woods, but realistically very few people would say they learn and enjoy golf with such a minimalist approach.  Look at the fastest growing sport in America, Pickleball.  You can play Piokleball all day, investing less than the cost of one box of Titlelist Pro V1 golf balls. Golf is expensive to learn and play for most people that don’t have above average disposable incomes.

🙂

Good topic.  And I agree but as earlier posts said, define expensive.  To me that is cost per round.  Yes clubs cost me up front but unless I change them every year they amortize lower and lower each year I use them.  If I buy a $600 driver and use it a year it cost me $50/month to use.  Keep it 5 years and it changes to $10/month so my equipment fee is cost up front but diminishing cost to keep using.   Add in some "maintenance" like replace grips and it adds some but once bought the club costs are constant to diminishing as long as I continue to use them.  The variable and absolute real cost is cost of the round at the course - green fees, cart fees vs walking, tournament entries, handicap fees, food/drink, and whatever I choose to add on in skins, etc.  That is the real cost that can change as much as weekly.  Even a membership at $3600 is the same (or more) the next year but my equipment costs drop unless I buy new equipment.  And it is those costs that makes the game expensive.  It does not diminish each year I use them and most likely increases.

GPS111

What’s with all the duplicate posts?  Issue with the site?  Any hoo, I agree with what others have said. I will say I think many golfers have become more demanding of course conditions which increases the cost of maintenance. People don’t like to hit off hard pan in the middle of the fairway and they want greens to be much faster than they were 60 years ago. 

Another way to look at it is to compare the costs of golf to other outdoor activities. I don’t fish or hunt, but I know some folks who spend a lot on those activities. 

I am currently visiting a friend in North Carolina and have seen a few folks hiking the Appalachian Trail. I’m guessing even avid hikers can spend a fair amount driving to different places to hike. 

I’m not arguing that golf is not expensive. I’m arguing that many outdoor activities and other hobbies are also expensive. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

I talked about that with one of the GM's where I frequent.  He noted skyrocketing prices on fertilizers, fuel, and labor.  We have all seen it at the grocery stores too.  I don't like it, I play 3-4 times a week, had to up my budget and play weaker courses.

Dave Mueller

I think the demand has gone up so prices have followed. Basic economics although I'm sad to see it become so. Looking at prices in AZ right now and wow! Most of the courses are $300-$500 a round right now. And then when you show up you find some greens in repair, course in bad shape, or a jammed tee sheet and have to play a 5+ hour round behind slow golfers. 

I don't see it changing unfortunately but I wish it would come back a little bit. 

A middle aged guy working hard to lower his handicap and have as much fun doing it. I'm typically a Titleist guy but last year put Srixon irons in the bag and have loved them. I've been lucky enough to play 3 times in the UK as well, just getting back from England and Ireland in July so I can help with questions on that front as well. 

As others have said, expensive is relative, let me approach this from a different angle. Equipment has never been a cost issue, I always found quality used stuff and was given random clubs from family & friends. Green fees were the struggle. How affordable is golf for low and middle class families?

When I was in college, I loved playing golf, but all I could afford was a par 3 course a 2-3x times per month. As a young adult with children, $50 was a tank of gas or several meals for the family. When I was in my early 20s, I made $40k per year. ~35% of my income went to rent, add in utilies and food, and there wasn't much leftover for hobbies. Even if I only played twice per month, that'd still be close to $100 per month. On that type of income, there's no way I could have afforded a monthly unlimited membership. When you're on a tight budget, golf is very expensive. Fortunately, I'm in my late 30s and golf is much more affordable now. 

With many hobbies, the price comes from an initial investment of equipment, not nessesarilly a high cost to execute the hobby. Hunting, backpacking, cycling, fishing, and even dirt biking & four-wheeling can be done relatively free or inexpensively after the initial investment. Other hobbies like craft beer, or even whisky are more of a pay-to-play without much initial investment. Golf on the other hand requires investment and you must pay to play each time. There's virtually no place to actually play for free. Many hobbies can be done for free if you have the equipment, but golf cannot be played for free. 

Do I think the price is unfair? No. Golf is a choice and a luxury, nobody is required to play golf. I completely understand that courses are expensive to maintain and run. With all that said, I wish I could have played golf more when I was younger. For the future of golf, it would be nice if they offered more discounts for younger players. Or perhaps days of the week when they heavily discount the green fees for younger players. I'd love to get my son into golf, but when you're young, golf is expensive unless you magically land a great job or have someone who pays for you to play. 

On 3/7/2023 at 4:45 AM, Luke James said:

I can definitely bet that many of us would have once thought - "Why is golf so expensive"? What do you think - Yes or No? What could be the reason behind this? 

Good question! Golf equipment is expensive in my opinion & greens fees have risen. However as Tom the Golf Nut stated in a previous post, he waits to buy clubs. I'm of the same opinion. While the new Paradigm, Stealth & Titleist Drivers are hot and cool looking and certainly the most modern technology, spending $550-$600 for a driver is tough & a deterrent for many people. It was for me personally, especially after my subzero driver face cracked. Then PXG had their Driver promo $199 & $299, with same shaft available as in the other drivers, I pulled the trigger & switched to PXG driver (I still spent $200, but saved $350 - Hey my wife uses that same rationale! 🤣).  I also waited for SM8 wedges to go on sale after SM9 released & picked up two new wedges saving 30%. 

I'll also say, thanks to MyGolfSpy and their forums, testing & equipment comparisons, it provides a great resource for research.  You learn about new & preowned equipment, golf manufacturers & the golf ball analysis is fantastic! 

Golf is going through a positive growth & certainly supply and demand are driving green fees & equipment prices. It's nice to see interest for the game is on an upswing. Like the golf swing, buying equipment requires patience LOL! 

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

I recommend using Golf Now for booking.

There is a discounted rate somewhere within 40 miles of my house whenever I look usually.

Each time you book you earn points and when those points accumulate to 100 they give you $10 off a discounted rate after noon.

Usually every 4 or 5 rounds I book earn me a round at 1/2 price or so.

Finding a way to turn birdies into bogeys since 1992. #TeamChunks

'23 Forum Tester: image.png.9f90721cd28bc7b0a9c9a7080e1e9365.png Elixir Golf Ball

WITB:image.png.3fd681db3510b6ca5b9cd8746bbb1447.pngTS2 10.5° @ 11.25° Screenshot_20230525_003120_Chrome2.jpg.453ea23fc579d3ff5d81168fdd3d1632.jpgTensei blue AV 55 R graph•917f2 15° @ 16.5° Screenshot_20230525_003120_Chrome2.jpg.453ea23fc579d3ff5d81168fdd3d1632.jpgDiamana blue x5ct dialed 70 R graph•image.png.34e4547e173a54172ff78e7545cfce3c.pngStealth 22° image.png.3e3fd052b67b6f62d3666b666d7109fe.png Ventus red 6 (non-velo) R graph• image.png.8fb479c452fc063454e923dea514c13d.png699u 2i 17° image.png.9a4846088e26973fb7fe5624bddbdc81.png tgi 70 R graph•24° image.png.d2eb192c22d125fefbd3607df7e0b327.png Tour v 90 black pvd R steel•699 6i-PW image.png.9a4846088e26973fb7fe5624bddbdc81.png Tour 110 black pvd R steel• image.png.eca9fa52c016ce4745893f387fef46df.pngSM8 50°/08° @ 52°/10° SM8 stock steel• image.png.3a7bdc80b43a23d4e08c16f2f319cc28.pngJaws Full Toe 56°/12° Screenshot_20230525_002154_Google2.jpg.c2d23d7abfb8451e510d254517410b64.jpgDG Spinner TI steel •image.png.98634e318580c192c5682c5d7f2a763a.png c series DW 2.0 slant neck stock steel•image.png.13e1aa1ef13bc0a92bb27f2e4df082a9.pngPhantom 2 gps•Tour v3 rangefinder•image.png.9f90721cd28bc7b0a9c9a7080e1e9365.pngElixir golf ball•

I think in terms of a recreational hobby it’s about how much someone is willing to put into it, time and be money. But in regards to golf as a sport, especially youth/junior golf, it is expensive relative to the other sports kids play and only getting more expensive. I think this should be a big topic, especially  as ly with all the “grow the game” bs. The liv drama, Netflix documentary, players fighting for $20 million purses, but do we ever ask ourselves how this all shapes the game for the public and especially the youth of the sport and making it affordable and accessible to kids to play??? 

Depends on a variety of issues and are you concerned about youth learning costs or modest income adult costs ?

All across Scotland, very nice courses are available to play $20-$30 a round.  Here in USA, there are less common muni types that are $40 or less.Turf management is expensive and we have inappropriate tour level expectations.

Clubs can be bought used. When I was married three kids on a budget I bought used Titleist and Tommy Armour irons. When I started as a kid, I had a hodge podge set that included a hickory shaft niblick as my PW SW....mid 70s. I could score in 80s with 3 5 7 9 all different and I think ladies woods with taped up hosels.

Balls are easily bought $12 -$24 a dozen. 

Golf is expensive because people with disposable income and time migrate towards pricey venues and modern gear.

Driver FW - Titleist 917

Irons 4 to 8 - Titleist T300 2° flat

Irons 9 to wedges - George Nicoll Royal musclebacks 70s vintage

Putter - Scotty Cameron Select blackout

Price often seems to affect course conditions and the clientele, so it becomes a balancing act of your appetite for golf (price) and expectations of the playing experience. I avoid bottom-tier courses due to playing conditions and crowding/player behavior. If the greens are like a gravel parking lot I just do not enjoy the experience. If the players are drunk, rowdy, and take forever to play, I also do not enjoy the experience. Some idiocy is expected, but there are limits. So, why is golf so expensive? It isn't unless you want to have a better experience. Then it is a balancing act. If it costs you more than you think it is worth, either cut back (play less often) or adjust your expectations and choose cheaper venues. If the greens fee is $80 and you play 4 hours you just spent $20 per hour. You cannot bowl for $20 per hour - it costs twice that much per hour in Pittsburgh, and there are plenty of decent courses around here that charge $50 or less for 18 holes. 

Full PXG + Evnroll

I did a lookback on all my golf expenses the last few years and identified some clear culprits which may be specific to my area but in no particular order:

1. Playing a golf course that cost $80+ when we have several above average munis that can be walked for $34. My average cost per round so far in 2023 is $45 which is down from previous years which were in the high $50s. 

2. Equipment (clubs, balls, shoes, anything golf related that is tangible) is the biggest expense and I blame myself first and these types of forums a distant second. But I just love equipment for whatever hobby I am doing. So far I am on my same general equipment pace but trying to tame that. 

3. Vacation golf - this can be a golf trip or even just on vacation with my family and playing a round or two. These are always extremely expensive rounds/trips so stepping back from that would be helpful. In fact, I was thinking a few years ago about a birthday trip to Bandon or Sand Valley and now I am reversing course and thinking I could get much more bang for my buck (albeit less ELITE golf) in Alabama or Denver. 

4. Range expense - hitting balls at the range adds up. $12 here or $15 there once a week gets up to $600-$700 a year. I have taken to going to the "free" range at one of the municipal courses where you hit balls onto a range that you can then go shag. I already had a shag bag and I find this makes me more "conscious" when I practice because I have to go get those balls after I hit them. That may cover the medical bill when I get beaned downrange whilst picking up my shag balls, haha. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

5 hours ago, Mittim33 said:

The equipment prices are insane! Every single driver on the market including those priced $500-$600 cost the manufacturer under $100 to produce. The golfing industry is now experiencing jewelry store markup’s! The issue we have as consumers is that they use psychological manipulation on us very well. For example, look at a PXG driver that they had on sale a few months ago for $200, and set it next to a Taylormade for $500. Even if a person hit both drivers and they both performed the exact same, that person would gravitate towards the $500 driver under the assumption it’s better quality and blah blah blah. There is only 1 way to fix this and that is for golfers to stop buying outrageously priced equipment and the manufacturers will adjust accordingly. Unfortunately that will never happen because most people like to have the newest, shiniest, and most expensive things to show off. 

image.png.a70ac780cea3863938476ddc536a01e0.png

1998. Based on inflation in todays dollars it is over $900. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

From my point of view, golf is NOT expensive... it might actually be, if you want it to be that way, one of the cheapest outdoors activity/sport.
You can easily find a course with cheap membership or a muni on which to play for a limited cost. A set of irons can be as cheap as 200 dollars (if you buy second hand, and know well what you need, or get good advice from a pro or a knowledgeable friend), and same for the rest of the clubs. If you account how much time of leisure/fun activity you'll get out of that spent amount (which is rather comparable, if you don't splurge like mad or go to high level private courses, to what you might end up spending for most other sports) I think you'll really be hard pressed to find golf expensive... unless you want to make it so! Sure, a set of Kyoei or Seven, imported from Japan, on high end graphite shafts, some gold plated Honma Beres woods and drivers, will cost you some. Sure as well, membership in a top level country club with loads going on, and so on will be expensive. But that's like saying "cars are blooming expensive, see that Bugatti and that Koenigsegg... almost no one can afford them" when you also have second hand Fords that you can easily afford... and are also "cars".

edit

To put things in perspective, my club membership is 900€ a year (and then I play "free" as much as I want... like 4 times a week maybe), I still have vokey sm7 wedges, driver is from 2015 (might change it next year for the sake of getting a new one, as I don't see much performance difference with the newest models and don't value "5 more yards" much), irons are brand new but costed me 750€ and replaced my 2011 previous set. My usual balls are from Decathlon, costing 35€ a dozen, my golf clothing is 90% from Decathlon as well, great quality, plenty of "tech stuff and good ideas" for a very limited price... When I see what my daughters cost me for their horse riding, golf is definitely cheaper!

Edited by Franc38

Aim small... pray to miss small

My bag: Ping hoofer lite. My driver: Nike Vapor Pro. 4w: Inesis 500. Hybrid: Nike Vapor Flex. Irons (4-PW): Takomo 301 combo on KBS tour X. Wedges: Vokey SM7 52° and 58°. Putter: Cleveland Classic HB1. Balls: Inesis Tour900 yellow.