Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Me or loss of etiquette in the game?

Been away doing a little travel and not much golf recently but as part of my travels stopped in to see some golf trip buddies in Knoxville, TN for a few days and went with one of my buddies to see his grandson’s high school golf match.   His grandson is a freshman and is playing as number 2 on his team.  During the match one of the opposing players would mark his ball with a tee.   I’m aware a tee can be used and the USGA definition of a ball-marker is “an artificial object such as a tee, coin, or other object made to be a ball-marker, or another small piece of equipment.    During my observation of the match the other players tee was on numerous occasions in general line when the other players would be chipping or putting.   Even if he was asked to move it would still would be bothersome.   On one occasion after the player chipped marked his ball with the tee another player didn’t hit a very good chip the ball stopped directly beside the tee,   The kid was asked to move his “tee” which he did and then stood directly behind the kid putting so to get the line of the putt.   On the last hole my buddies grandson hit a drive about 30 yards behind the same kid who used a tee to mark his ball.   The kid who used a tee stood in the middle of the fairway with his range finder as my buddies grandson who was ready to hit waited patiently since the kid was directly in front of him.   He waited for about a minute or so as the kid stood there.  Finally my friends grandson yelled up to him and after the kid turned around and saw him he shot the pin again and made him wait.  

I’ve never seen worse etiquette during a match in my life.  It took everting I had to not say anything to the kids coach.

It still annoys me.   Am I wrong?  I appreciate all opinions.      

Driver: TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5 degree, Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-S

3W: TaylorMade M4 15 Degree, Fujikura Atmos Red FW 6-R

5W: TaylorMade Stealth 2 Fujikura Ventus TR Red FW 6-S

4HY: TaylorMade Stealth 2 (22 deg) Fujikura Speeder NX Red HY 60-S

Irons:  5-6 Titleist 716 AP1 True Temper XP90 (R300), 7-G Titleist 718 AP3 True Temper AMT Black (R300) 

Wedges: Titleist SM9: 54.10 S Grind KBS Tour Lite, 58.10 S Grind KBS Tour Lite

Putter: Odyssey TRI-HOT 5K Seven DB

Ball:  Titleist Pro V1x or Vice Pro Plus

Bag:  Titleist Players 4 Plus StaDry

54 minutes ago, hckymeyer said:

Sounds like the other kid is just an a**hole.  Well, either he knows what he's doing (gamesmanship) and is an a**hole, or he genuinely has no clue what he's doing is wrong in which case he's still being an a**hole but hasn't been taught better.

I couldn’t agree more.   I think he didn’t care and was being a jacka** on purpose.

Irons:  5-6 Titleist 716 AP1 True Temper XP90 (R300), 7-G Titleist 718 AP3 True Temper AMT Black (R300) 

Yes, and you could substitute society for "game" in your thread title.  I'm also inclined to believe his actions are learned behaviour.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

I helped with the local HS team for a few years and there were a handful of kids that did not know anything about golf etiquette.  We went over the basic etiquette and rules stuff with them repeatedly. They were new to the game and not playing as the #2 player though. 

I would have mentioned to their coach that his player has a good gàme but needed a lesson in etiquette.  But i am not one to keep my mouth shut.

I believe standing behind a player to get the line is a rules violation.  I would have mentioned that to the coach too.

Having been around HS golf it would not surprise me if the other coach and the player didnt know the rules.  The last year i helped, the coach was drafted into the position and had only played a few rounds himself.  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

7 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

I helped with the local HS team for a few years and there were a handful of kids that did not know anything about golf etiquette.  We went over the basic etiquette and rules stuff with them repeatedly. They were new to the game and not playing as the #2 player though. 

I would have mentioned to their coach that his player has a good gàme but needed a lesson in etiquette.  But i am not one to keep my mouth shut.

I believe standing behind a player to get the line is a rules violation.  I would have mentioned that to the coach too.

Having been around HS golf it would not surprise me if the other coach and the player didnt know the rules.  The last year i helped, the coach was drafted into the position and had only played a few rounds himself.  

This kid was a senior and you could tell he’s been playing for a while.  But I agree with you on etiquette needs to be taught.   I kinda felt it wasn’t my place to say something since I just was visiting but kinda regret not.   Appreciate the input.

Sounds like Seve Ballesteros. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

You either let something bother you and distract you when competing and have it affect your game or you ignore and go about your business and better yet beat the other person.

As a spectator you watch and say nothing, as a parent you say nothing while whatever game is going on. Then if you feel like the other coach should be approached on how to handle their players, you say something but with that could come getting an earful back, being ignored or a number of any situations. The majority of the time it’s going to be the person speaking is wasting their breath.

at the end of the day control what you can control and ignore what you cant

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 9/9/2023 at 11:32 AM, Bogeyfree69 said:

During my observation of the match the other players tee was on numerous occasions in general line when the other players would be chipping or putting.   Even if he was asked to move it would still would be bothersome.

I've played with people that have used a tee to mark their ball.  This is just me, but I would ask them to keep moving it until it was not bothersome... even if had to be moved multiple times... AND I would make sure to note where the ball should be returned to just in case.  Maybe then they can find a coin or a less obtrusive marker.

The kid was asked to move his “tee” which he did and then stood directly behind the kid putting so to get the line of the putt.

I would also require the kid to move out of my backline of sight because it bothers me.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

What you experienced seems to be the trend among young people.   Hats on backwards, shirts not tucked in...  standing on another person's line of play,  yelling while other are trying to hit a shot.   playing music loud enough to be heard a few holes away.  Watching PGA, etc. on TV and listening to the verbal comments, yelling, etc. and it's somewhat promoted by the PGA...  tells you what's to come for the future of golf.    TOP GOLF is educating the next wave of golfers that we will be dealing with on the course.  No one is trying to educate the up coming youngsters to the etiquette of the game we all have grown to love..   unfortunate.  

1 hour ago, golffun said:

What you experienced seems to be the trend among young people.   Hats on backwards, shirts not tucked in...  standing on another person's line of play,  yelling while other are trying to hit a shot.   playing music loud enough to be heard a few holes away.  Watching PGA, etc. on TV and listening to the verbal comments, yelling, etc. and it's somewhat promoted by the PGA...  tells you what's to come for the future of golf.    TOP GOLF is educating the next wave of golfers that we will be dealing with on the course.  No one is trying to educate the up coming youngsters to the etiquette of the game we all have grown to love..   unfortunate.  

fwiw, most polos these days are designed not to be tucked in and, unless it's a regional thing, backwards hats haven't been "in" for almost 20 years at this point.  Regardless, are fashion choices really an etiquette problem?  Guys don't golf in wool suits anymore.  Was it an etiquette problem when golfers switched to polos or shorts?

The other stuff, I suspect, is a matter of letting the outliers shape your opinion of the whole group.  Rude golfers aren't new.  If they're more prevalent, I'd argue it's a function of golf's popularity rebounding/growing.  To say nobody is teaching kids golf etiquette is to say that parents who learned proper golf etiquette just decided not to bother passing it down.  I'm not buying that, wholesale.

Do we want to shun new, young golfers for the sake of etiquette or do we want our local courses to stay open?

Edited by Brooky03

The OP was talking about a single player who seemed to be only concerned about himself. While his actions are uncalled for @russtopherb makes a great point about being able to teach a younger person proper etiquette and that starts with his coach and parents. 

Driver:  :titleist-small:  TSi2 9*  :Fuji: Ventus Black 6S

Fairway: :titleist-small: TSi2 15*  :Fuji: Speeder Evo III 70S

Utility: :titleist-small: T-200 3 Iron  :Fuji: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Irons: :titleist-small: 620CB w/ :truetemper: DGTI X100 4-6

Irons:  :titleist-small: 620MB w/ :truetemper: DGTI X100 7-PW

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM9 50/08F 56/12S 60/04T

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2+ 34" 

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 #31 (Currently Ball Testing)

On 9/9/2023 at 2:32 PM, Bogeyfree69 said:

Been away doing a little travel and not much golf recently but as part of my travels stopped in to see some golf trip buddies in Knoxville, TN for a few days and went with one of my buddies to see his grandson’s high school golf match.   His grandson is a freshman and is playing as number 2 on his team.  During the match one of the opposing players would mark his ball with a tee.   I’m aware a tee can be used and the USGA definition of a ball-marker is “an artificial object such as a tee, coin, or other object made to be a ball-marker, or another small piece of equipment.    During my observation of the match the other players tee was on numerous occasions in general line when the other players would be chipping or putting.   Even if he was asked to move it would still would be bothersome.   On one occasion after the player chipped marked his ball with the tee another player didn’t hit a very good chip the ball stopped directly beside the tee,   The kid was asked to move his “tee” which he did and then stood directly behind the kid putting so to get the line of the putt.   On the last hole my buddies grandson hit a drive about 30 yards behind the same kid who used a tee to mark his ball.   The kid who used a tee stood in the middle of the fairway with his range finder as my buddies grandson who was ready to hit waited patiently since the kid was directly in front of him.   He waited for about a minute or so as the kid stood there.  Finally my friends grandson yelled up to him and after the kid turned around and saw him he shot the pin again and made him wait.  

I’ve never seen worse etiquette during a match in my life.  It took everting I had to not say anything to the kids coach.

The kid obviously knew what he was doing. As a player , after he shot the pin for a second time, I would have hit the ball over his head and see if he "understood". 

SjW

22 minutes ago, BCases said:

The kid obviously knew what he was doing. As a player , after he shot the pin for a second time, I would have hit the ball over his head and see if he "understood". 

Really? In real life, presented with this situation, you would have knowingly done something that could have seriously injured someone? 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

41 minutes ago, BCases said:

Maybe , maybe not. I probably would have let him take a few steps to the side and then hit. He would have gotten the point.

giphy.gif

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

In my opinion, the kid marking his ball with a tee will have tough life lessons ahead of him. He knew what he was doing.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Toss a dime at the "golfer" and tell him it is better to not poke holes in putting surface.  I also yell "heads up" when a player is not waiting or watching for me to hit.  I scatter left and right rough too much, sorry, but I try to pay attention to my co players.  Back when caddy was a common teen job, I was taught basic golf etiquetter by the starter or caddie master.

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

I learned the etiquette of golf from my grandfather who taught me the game and by the country club where I caddied in high school.  The club had a mandatory class for new caddies that covered everything and if you didn't pass you got sent home for the season.  There was a "refresher" course during the season if you were reported a couple of times by members and, again, if you failed you were gone.  It was seemingly little stuff to a kid like where to stand to keep your shadow out of the line of a putt and not to lean the end of the pin into the putting surface.  But all of it made you aware that there was a proper way to play the game and you were expected to conform.

I would hope that a high school golf coach would be mindful of teaching his players etiquette if for no other reason than how it reflects on him/her and their program.  

Driver; Callaway RAZR Fit

Fairway and hybrids: Callaway X2 Pro

Irons: Mizuno JPX 825

Wedges: Mizuno JPX 825 Pro

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

On 9/9/2023 at 2:32 PM, Bogeyfree69 said:

On one occasion after the player chipped marked his ball with the tee another player didn’t hit a very good chip the ball stopped directly beside the tee,

This isn’t the fault of the golfer using a tee for his ball marker, this is the fault of the one chipping for executing a poor shot. Also not a bid deal it ended up next to the tee because it would have ended up next to whatever marker was used. Then the ball gets marked, the golfer with the tee moves his ball back to the original spot and the match moves on.

and if a tee in the ground as a ball mark is distracting to someone they need to learn how to focus better

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

And what happens if the chipped shot hits the tee and knocks it a few inches away from where it was?  It would be difficult to prove that the ball was replaced in the exact spot it was originally would it not?  Would that be a potential penalty?

:ping-small: G425 Driver

:ping-small: G425 3w

:callaway-small: 2 Hybrid

:srixon-small:  Z585 Irons 3-PW 

467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpg RTX Zipcore 50 Gap, 56 SW, 60 LW

:odyssey-small: 2 ball Putter

:taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour Balls

21 minutes ago, JustJeffy said:

And what happens if the chipped shot hits the tee and knocks it a few inches away from where it was?  It would be difficult to prove that the ball was replaced in the exact spot it was originally would it not?  Would that be a potential penalty?

Rule 13.1d. When Ball or Ball-Marker Moves on Putting Green

There are two specific Rules for a ball or ball-marker that moves on the putting green.

(1) No Penalty for Accidentally Causing Ball to Move. There is no penalty if the player, opponent or another player in stroke play accidentally moves the player’s ball or ball-markeron the putting green.

The player must:

• Replace the ball on its original spot (which if not known must be estimated) (see Rule 14.2), or
  • Place a ball-marker to mark that original spot.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Rule 13.1d. When Ball or Ball-Marker Moves on Putting Green

There are two specific Rules for a ball or ball-marker that moves on the putting green.

(1) No Penalty for Accidentally Causing Ball to Move. There is no penalty if the player, opponent or another player in stroke play accidentally moves the player’s ball or ball-markeron the putting green.

The player must:

• Replace the ball on its original spot (which if not known must be estimated) (see Rule 14.2), or
  • Place a ball-marker to mark that original spot.

Crazy how there always seems to be a rule for “what it’s”

I've only come across this as assholes. I played with a guy on our high school tour who would use his bag as a ball marker..... talk about BS. Sounds like he's trying to get inhis head

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-MJ 6x

Titleist TSr3 18 Degree, Graphite Design Tour Ad-DI 7x

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours 120S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini, Versa Scheme, 17" Fatso 3.0 Grip, 40"

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

Drawing conclusions, as the thread title implies, based on the behavior of one other player is suspect to begin with. Etiquette has “changed” throughout American culture, and it’s not restricted to the young IME. I play with seniors where cheating is often rampant, and golf etiquette is a lost art for some. So I play with people who still appreciate golf etiquette and rules, and don’t play more than once with those who don’t. Life’s too short…

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)