Shaft Testers Wanted - KBS C-Taper Lite

Our Sponsors

What an awesome opportunity. I am a 4.0 HCP from Austin, Texas. I currently play the Adams CMB with the KBS C-Taper, and while I have been pleased with those shafts, I am VERY interested to see how the C-Taper Lite compares, especially since I don't quite carry the tempo to get the most out of the standard shaft. I have multiple shafts in the garage to test against, but I think most other Spies might be interested in a direct C-Taper comparison. Fortunately, I have access to a launch monitor, so I plan to share that data with my personal on course results and impressions. As a former club-fitter, I'm confident I can present these results in a way everyone can understand and answer any questions.

As for my picture...yes, I have the pants to match.

028.JPG

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a retired military operator and amateur club builder residing in Greenville, SC with a currently handicap of 4.4. I will have the esteemed honor of performing as Mr Mom this summer with my two young golfers! We'll be on the course 4-5 days per week which should provide a perfect opportunity to test the new C-Taper Lite against my current C-Taper, PXi and Dynamic Gold sets. I'm getting a bit older and am starting to have slight problems in my wrists and shoulders so the PXi shafts have become my favorite set because of the lighter weight. I've always been a KBS fan though and would love to put the PXi's and C-Taper Lites up to a comparison testing.

IMG_0459.jpg

IMG_0464.jpg

I'm a 10 handicap these days (the worst putting 10 cap you've ever seen:), and currently play S300 shafts in my irons. I've tried the KBS tour shaft and found success with knock down type shots but couldn't control the ball with full swings. I've also previously played the DGSL shaft with some success. The KBS C-Taper Lite shafts sound like they might be a great match for my swing.

#9.jpg

I'm curious how these perform, but not curious enough to throw my hat in the ring. I generally get along better with heavier weight shafts and I love the original C-Tapers. So good luck to everyone and if anybody does get a chance to test them out against the regular C-Tapers I'd love to hear the results.

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Epic SZ w/ VA Composites Raijin 65 04

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :ping-small: 5i-UW G700 w/ X100 soft stepped once

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 & 58 CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I play to a 18 HCI, and use Enzo Nanopipe (X) shafts in my 304 SS irons. I've played DG (X) in steel in the past and have tried the KBS tour shaft on a high-lofted wedge.

I've been wanting to try out some quality steel iron shafts in a weight and flex that is close to my current graphite shafts. These might be just the ticket.

100_0628.JPG

Hi MGS!

Thanks for the opportunity to check out + test the new offerings from KBS. I am a 7 handicap. I play about 3-4 times a month, mostly @ Public courses, though my work as a Consultant often allows me to take my Clients to some very nice Clubs (Pebble Beach, Flint Hills National (KS), Southern Hills (OK), etc :)

I have played Dynamic Golf S300 for most of my playing career, but I am very curious to see how the KBS C-Taper Lite shafts will stand up to my game. I am a retired professional hockey player, so the KBS shafts will have to be @ their best to handle my swing!

Again, I look forward to the opportunity / challenge and even if I do not get chosen, best of luck to all who do.

God Bless,

TK

BTW - this picture was taken at one of my favorite courses in Scottsdale. The Saguaro course @ WeKoPa GCIMG_0450.JPG. I'm the good looking guy with the blue polo...

Driver: Ping G400 MAX with PING Alta CB 55 Stiff

Fairway: Callaway Epic 15* with Fujikura Speeder 565

Hybrid: RocketBallz 19* Hybrid with Stock Shaft

Irons: JDM Titleist VG3 irons w/ Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 Shafts 

Wedges: Ping Glide 50*/54*/58*

Putter: Scotty GoLo Pro with Midsize Matador Grip

Ball: Srixon Z Star

Shoes: Nike Air Zoom Accurate

Bag: Sun Mountain MPB

I'm curious how these perform, but not curious enough to throw my hat in the ring. I generally get along better with heavier weight shafts and I love the original C-Tapers. So good luck to everyone and if anybody does get a chance to test them out against the regular C-Tapers I'd love to hear the results.

Same here, I kinda wanna get a 6 iron shaft and compare it side by side in identical heads

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Folks, please keep in mind the one and only one picture requirement.

Also, please keep images to 600x800. Otherwise it takes a long time to load. You'll see in the various review threads that this is required.

Welcome though to all the new members, stick around!

I'm a newbie to MGS, therefore not asking to be considered. I just wanted to wish all of you luck and congratulate the future testers. I look forward to reading the reviews on this shaft. I've had the honor of testing/reviewing Nike's 2013 XI and XI-X models through another site. It's fun being able to play something before everyone else can get it.

Bag One: :taylormade-small: '16 M2, Tour AD-GP 7S

:adams-small:  XTD Ti 15*, Tour AD-GT 8S

:taylormade-small:  RBZ Stage2 Tour Issue 18.5* hybrid, Matrix Ozik Altus 85S Wilson FG Tour F5 21* hybrid, stock

:mizuno-small:  MP-H5 4-PW, Project X 5.5

:mizuno-small:  MP-T5, 51/08, Project X 5.5

:mizuno-small:  MP-T5, 58/10, DG Spinner

:cameron-small:  2012 Newport2, 34"

I'm a newbie to MGS, therefore not asking to be considered. I just wanted to wish all of you luck and congratulate the future testers. I look forward to reading the reviews on this shaft. I've had the honor of testing/reviewing Nike's 2013 XI and XI-X models through another site. It's fun being able to play something before everyone else can get it.

Mate, don't let your 'freshness' be a barrier to entering! Its always great to have someone new along and what better way to start contributing than with a big old review and a new set of shafts in your irons! If you're keen on them, fit the criteria, and can commit to doing a decent job of the review then throw your hat in the ring.

All the best

Brad

Your current handicap (or your average 18 hole score)

One (and only one) original photo of something (anything) golf-related

CC381B83-B4D6-457E-A547-241FEE3169B0-31499-00000BAFD074B3D2_zps14e8edbe.jpg

In no more than 2 paragraphs, tell us how you would test the new shafts

I would install them in another set of X Forged irons and compare the results between the C Taper and PXi shafts using a Foresight. I would then play a few rounds with both sets hitting two approach shots on each hole to compare the two shafts.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

I am Texastee. Member of several golf and photography forums as either that handle or 2tcreative. I am currently a 4.3 GHIN.

I am 64 years old and have been playing for 40 years. Self taught and adhere to Hogan's work ethic of digging it out of the dirt. I thoroughly enjoy practicing and testing equipment. I do my own repair work such as re-shafting, re-gripping, spining and flo'ing my shafts, so somewhat familiar with equipment design and construction. I currently play the KBS Tour stiff soft stepped once in my Bridgestone j40 cavity backs, and C-taper regulars in my ATV wedges. I did the soft stepping and the shafting of the wedges myself.

An example of the ATV Japanese forged 60* with the C-taper:

IMG_1326.jpg

It seems the C-taper lite would be quite suitable for my swing, especially in my j40 long irons (4, 5 and 6), which I currently have another brand of shaft installed.

Mate, don't let your 'freshness' be a barrier to entering! Its always great to have someone new along and what better way to start contributing than with a big old review and a new set of shafts in your irons! If you're keen on them, fit the criteria, and can commit to doing a decent job of the review then throw your hat in the ring.

All the best

Brad

Thanks Brad. Truth is, I'm not sure how these would suit me. Guess it wouldn't hurt to try anyways.

:taylormade-small:  RBZ Stage2 Tour Issue 18.5* hybrid, Matrix Ozik Altus 85S Wilson FG Tour F5 21* hybrid, stock

Current handicap: 14, last round was 84, just yesterday. I tend to struggle on new courses that I've never experienced.

I currently play W/S FG Tour V2 irons with KBS Tour Stiff. I've played similar irons with both S300 and PX 6.0 and just really fell for the KBS. Perhaps the new C-Taper Lites will offer a chance to use a slightly lighter shaft in my long irons and make a blended set.

I've been playing golf since I was big enough to follow my dad to the range. Now that I'm in the start of my 30s, I try to give back to my dad what he gave me growing up through golf. I'll buy his set of clubs, regrip and reshaft irons for him, just to get those four hours of pure father-son time with him. I started doing my own club work for fun, and am working on a DIY shaft puller. If given the opportunity to test the C-Taper Lite shafts, I'd easily be able to switch the shafts out on my own without having to wait on a club builder's timeframe. My pic: from my trip to Portland, OR summer 2012. Par 3 into the wind while it was raining. Ball landed inches from the cup on the left and bounced over it and sat inches on the right. Closest I've ever been to an ace.

image.jpg

Current handicap: 14, last round was 84, just yesterday. I tend to struggle on new courses that I've never experienced.

I current plat W/S FG Tour V2 irons with KBS Tour Stiff. Ice played similar irons with both S300 and PX 6.0 and just ally fell for the KBS. Perhaps the new C-Taper Lites will offer a chance to use a slightly lighter shaft in my long irons and make a blended set.

I've been playing golf since I was big enough to follow my dad to the range. Now that I'm in the start of my 30s, I try to give back to my dad what he gave me growing up through golf. I'll buy his set of clubs, regrip and reshaft irons for him, just to get those four hours of pure father-son time with him. I started doing my own club work for fun, and am working on a DIY shaft puller. If given the opportunity to test the C-Taper Lite shafts, I'd easily be able to switch the shafts out on my own without having to wait on a club builder's timeframe. My pic: from my trip to Portland, OR summer 2012. Par 3 into the wind while it was raining. Ball landed inches from the cup on the left and bounced over it and sat inches on the right. Closest I've ever been to an ace.

Man, that sucks! But if it makes you feel any better (doubtful), its closer than I've been :lol:

Gents,

I currently am gaming the Mizuno JPX 825's with PX Graphite shafts, which were billed as "mid-launch", but as it turns out, they are very "high-launch" for me....distance robbingly so. The CT LITE shafts could be just the ticket to bring my ball flight down. My other option is I just won a mint set of Ben Hogan Edge CFT's 3 and 4H and 5I-PW, and as I require +1.5" in length and these BH's are stock, I could put the CT Lite's in this set of classics. Pick me>

Matt W

My handicap is 13.5. These shafts are a perfect fit for me because I was trying to decide between the Tour and the Tour 90 for my next set of irons because I needed a little bit of both. I was fit to a Project Flighted 95 but I felt like it was a tad too light. I produce a mid-high launch with average distance, but would like a bit more spin without raising my ball flight too much. The C-Taper Lite sounds perfect for that. In testing I would go to the Trackman I have access to and compare numbers before and after the new shafts. I would do updates after each round I played about feel, spin, and anything odd or special about them. Also, at my CC we have fitting carts from different manufacturers so I could compare to the Tour 90, Tour, and C-Taper as well as any other brands/ models which members might have questions about to the C-Taper Lite. Thanks for this opportunity!

Here's a pic of a demo iron with a KBS Tour shaft that had good ball flight, but didn't spin enough.

IMG_1590.JPG

ct-lite-bnr2.jpg

The guys at KBS have asked us to round up 3 MyGolfSpy Forum Members to test a set of the latest offering in the KBS lineup; the C-Taper (CT) LITE.

The 3 readers chosen by the MyGolfSpy Staff will receive their very own set of KBS CT LITE shafts. Those same 3 readers will be asked to provide other MyGolfSpy readers with a comprehensive review of the shafts. Thorough is what we do, and we ask the same of our readers. Please don't apply if you're not willing to do the work.

About the C-Taper LITE

The C-TAPER LITE iron shaft incorporates proven KBS performance benefits – piercing trajectory and smooth feel – in a lighter-weight design. The firm tip and stiff butt sections produce a mid-high trajectory and controlled spin. Featuring a constant taper design and proportionate increase in wall thickness, the C-TAPER LITE maximizes energy transfer for maximum distance. As a result, an average of 5 yards increased distance was seen during robot testing. The C-TAPER LITE comes with the signature KBS brushed satin finish available in three flexes: R-105g, S-110g, and X-115g.

KBS tells us the C-Taper should prove to be more playable and will offer a better fit for a wider variety of players, but please don't offer to test unless you're reasonably certain the CT LITE is a good fit for you.

The big question is, does the C-Taper LITE perform as advertised?

It's your job to find out.

Requirements:

Must be a resident of the US or Canada

Must be a MyGolfSpy Forum Member in good standing

Must be able to string sentences together in a coherent fashion (wit and humor are a bonus)

Must be capable of producing quality photos of golf equipment

Must have willingness, time, and ability to thoroughly test a set of KBS C-Taper LITEe Shafts.

How To Enter

Check out the C-Taper LITE Shafts on the KBS Website. If you think the new shafts will help your game, enter to become a MyGolfSpy Club Tester.

To enter, leave a comment in this thread that contains the following:

Your current handicap (or your average 18 hole score)

One (and only one) original photo of something (anything) golf-related

In no more than 2 paragraphs, tell us how you would test the new shafts

Scotch aka Scott

Titleist 917 D2 Driver

Titleist 816H1 23°

Titleist 716 T-MB 2-9

Titleist Vokey SM6 Steele 48°

Titleist Vokey SM6 Steele 54°

Titleist Vokey SM6 Steele 60°

Scotty Cameron MIL-SPEC H16 5MB

Titleist Staff Stand Bag

Titleist Pro V1

Hi KBS Team, thank you for coming to My Golf Spy for user testing.

Currently a 11 Handicap, ex competitive junior golfer and high school golfer. I work as a part time bartender at a private country club and I am exposed to avid golfers opinions and stories about golf on a daily basis. Furthermore, I am a trained as a designer in both interior architecture and industrial design; therefore, having the ability to analysis and critique design and products objectively and thoroughly. I also have a goal to play 50 rounds this summer and I have completed 16 rounds so far. My current irons are 3 month's old Titleist AP2's 4-9 (6 irons) + Vokey SM4 47 51 55 59 (4 wedges). When I had them custom fitted through a PGA teaching professional he advised me to not get KBS shafts because I was ballooning them. I would like to give them another shot and see if it will lower my scores and consistency! Cheers...

ww_sub_wow.jpg

Scotch aka Scott

Titleist 917 D2 Driver

Titleist 816H1 23°

Titleist 716 T-MB 2-9

Titleist Vokey SM6 Steele 48°

Titleist Vokey SM6 Steele 54°

Titleist Vokey SM6 Steele 60°

Scotty Cameron MIL-SPEC H16 5MB

Titleist Staff Stand Bag

Titleist Pro V1

When is the deadline to respond to this? I might not be able to post a photo for a couple of days. Thanks!

Driver: Callaway Optiforce 440 9.5* with Diamama Blue S+ 62g Stiff shaft

3 and 5 wood: Callaway Big Bertha with Fubuki Z65 Stiff

Hybrid: Wilson FG Tour 4 hybrid

Irons: 5 iron: Cleveland Altitude Stiff; 6 -PW Callaway Apex Pro, KBS Tour-V Stff

Wedges: 51*, 55* and 58* SCORE with Genius Stiff