GolfSpy Dave

Pace of Play and the Laser: Bushnell Study

I've begun to incorp both now. I like to zap the pin with the laser, glance at the GPS, ( sometimes the GPS needs a few seconds to "find" itself. Then I look at the big part of the green, and start thinking, just get on the dance floor first. Especially with deep flags and hard greens. For instance a deep blue flag at 150, I used to hit an 8. Now I'll hit the 9. A short red pin at 150 gets the 8. I also "lean" the approach to the "fat" Sid of the green. This gives a little cushin to the shot as well. With the wind, against the wind, side wind.... Oye!

Wetness of the fairways overall too.

There are so many factors to club selection besides actual yardage to factor in as well.

Actual distance is just one piece of the information pie.

One really good thing that the laser has done is to help me learn my distances with the new irons. I'm starting to,get an idea after 3 rounds now.

Laser or GPS will speed up play simply because the player will no longer have to struggle with making the initial distance estimates and try to remember poorly learned high school geometry lessons. Even with a good caddy you still have that moment spent wherein you verify his read. GPS only gets tired when you fail to charge the batteries. Great toys but they can't do anything when the flight in front of you or the fool in your fight is way slow.

Shambles

I have both and on courses I play a lot, seldom use the GPS and just use the range finder to check the pin.  On courses I don't know, the GPS is nice to provide the layout and distances for hazards, then the laser once I get within 150 yards, or so.  I think they help my pace of play and I've never been accused of being a slow player - lol

I realize now just how crazy spoiled I have become in the last year.  90% of my rounds are walking rounds played between 3pm and dark (depending upon the time of year, that could be 9 or 18).  During that year, my LONGEST round was played at a pace of 14.5 minutes per hole (4 hours 20 minutes), with my shortest being 9 minutes per hole (81 minutes from leaving the car until returning to it).  My weekend rounds are generally part of a larger group, and if I take out two rounds where I just about blew a gasket from dealing with a notoriously slow player in the group (he no longer talks to me. at all.)  I am still under 5 hours.  

Those two rounds?  both 5.5 hours (and looking at my scores, my temper/frustration levels hit the redzone about hole 7 both times).

What is interesting to me, is that the player in question uses a GPS, takes many practice swings, and is a bring the kitchen sink player at the green.  Wedge, towel, putter, little putter stand to keep the grip off the ground player.

So yeah, it IS the player.  My question is this.

At what point is it appropriate to go Elin Nordgren with a 3w on these players ? :P

I don't care whether or not it speeds up play, I think they are excellent tools for for us, at my course, most of the greens are 2 or 3 tiered, so depending on flag position, you could be 1-2 clubs different, and putting the ball on the correct part of the green is imperative, if you don't you are looking at a 3 putt every time, so knowing the exact yardage to the flag is very important, rangefinders give you that, it's not a general number, it is exact, and the newer models are simple to use, and even vibrate when you hit the flag, incredible, I just wish I had the extra money to purchase one. Most of the guys I golf with have them and they are very nice about sharing, and I am thankful for that.