Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Vijay's Ex-Caddie Dishes The Dirt

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

This interview excerpt is with Paul Tesori the ex-caddie of Vijay Singh. And also maybe more well known for being the man with the hat that said "Tiger Who?" at the 2000 Presidents Cup.

How demanding was Vijay as a boss?

In ‘01 and ‘02, I only got a total of 24 days off out of 730 days. I could complain about that, but Vijay took only three days off during that stretch. I got divorced over it. It was just too much. It's not Vijay's fault. It's mine for not calling a time-out. But 11 days off in one year is not a life. When Vijay and I were able to sit down and talk about things, we said to each other, “Why didn't we just talk this through?” Our personalities clashed. I'm very stubborn and I like to kind of give it back and he does the same thing. But we're still good friends. We just couldn't make it work as a team.

You've had two divorces from Vijay. Are you done working with him?

Yes. The second time I went back was a bad decision. I had a good job with Jerry Kelly, and when I left him to go back to Vijay it was purely a financial decision. Jerry and I were having success together and he treated me very well. I wish that I could take that one back.

What's it like with Sean?

I get 24 weeks off a year now. I work 28 weeks and when I'm home now, I'm home. With Vijay on off-weeks we were always on the range. Now I have a fiancée and a daughter that I get to spend a lot of time with.

Are you still living down the mini-mess you started by wearing the “Tiger Who?” cap at the 2000 Presidents Cup?

When I still worked for Vijay, it always came up. I'll always hear about it, I'm sure. Vijay and Tiger always had a little tense relationship. Anytime you're No. 1 and No. 2 in the world, I don't think you're going to be holding hands going down the fairway. After that event Vijay and I were paired with them like the next five tournaments and there wasn't a word said between the caddies or the players. Eventually I went up to Tiger and told him that I meant it as joke and he said he appreciated me saying something, but that it did make him want to beat us more.

READ FULL ARTICLE: http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,1992032,00.html

#TruthDigest

Yes. The second time I went back was a bad decision. I had a good job with Jerry Kelly, and when I left him to go back to Vijay it was purely a financial decision. Jerry and I were having success together and he treated me very well. I wish that I could take that one back.

The grass is not always greener - :(

Jerry is a Wisconsin guy and I have some friends who know him - pretty much what you see is what you get.

In regards to working for VJ - In ‘01 and ‘02, I only got a total of 24 days off out of 730 days. - I am hearing a bit of the worlds smallest violin when it comes to sympathy -There are plenty of people in our work force who get only one week off a year and plenty more who would like to be working 51 out of 52 weeks every year to pay their mortgages,feed their family's...

Two years = 730 days...talk about a my s... don't stink attitude.

Hey Tesori, ever hear of Walmart, Stop and Shop, Kohls - you should be damned glad you have a job in this economy.

rob

I Can't Help It If I'm Lucky...

mainuh - As someone currently looking for real work, I definitely hear your criticism.

That said, thanks for posting this, I found it interesting. I did like that he gave Vijay credit for only having taken 3 days off in 2 years. I know Vijay rubs a lot of people the wrong way, but I've always liked him. He is who he is, and no one can ever argue that he hasn't gotten the most out of his talent.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

MSat -

I agree with you that VJ's work ethic is something to be marveled at. If ever there was a guy who followed Hogans philosophy of the swing being found in the dirt, its VJ.

I find it sad to watch this great golfer struggling these days to find his swing.

A # of years ago I saw a feature where he, Weir and I think Furyk tee'd up on a Par 3 to see who could get closer to the pin on a par 3. They all laid the ball down to @ 3'.

VJ joked with Weir, let me try your club. Now given that Mikes clubs are left handed and that they have to be shorter than what VJ plays this was the result...

VJ stuck the ball within 3" of the pin hfrack.gif

Back to Tesori -

I'm sure part of his discontent is that because he is looping for a top ten player he should have those same perks as say Steve Williams has.

His eyes were wide open returning to VJ's bag a second time, he knew what the deal was.

I don't think anyone around here would complain of knocking down 100K + and having to work 51 weeks a year. We all have choices.

I was in a similar position a number of years ago - After a couple years of it I, with my wifes 100% support decided that the $ and grind were just not worth it.

I've never looked back, never regretted it. And oh yeah...I didn't have to go through a divorce because I valued the $ more than my wife.

rob

I Can't Help It If I'm Lucky...

Archived