jlukes

What/How did you practice today?

On 1/12/2020 at 9:35 PM, PMookie said:

31*?! Good gracious. I don’t even STEP outside when it’s that cold! Good on ya!

On 1/13/2020 at 6:26 AM, Rickp said:

31*emoji33.png, no way I’d be out there!

Ha ha, I said.. RELATIVELY mild (for NY in the middle of January)!!! 

Hit the range for my birthday (as if I needed an excuse...) in preparation for my lesson tomorrow. Worked on takeaway changes from my last lesson and also on making sure my grip doesn't weaken. The last two trips to the range before have been awful, I realized today that my grip still was too weak and I was doing some funky things with my right hand, too. Once I fixed those issues, my distance came back.

I'm very glad I decided to spend money on lessons as I've made more progress in limited practice since November than I did all year. Right now I'm feeling like I'm one small change away from playing some very good golf by next spring. I snapped a shot at the top of my driver swing today versus the top my driver swing during the MGS Epic Flash testing last spring. I can't believe the difference:

backswings.jpg.728dfe577920efd0bbdaa84ba9f2ec92.jpg

Now, there are still plenty of things that are not ideal about the new swing, but I spent all year trying to get my hands more up and less around and in one month I've had a lot of success doing so. This allows me to lengthen my swing quite a bit, and I'm getting a lot more speed as a result.

• Like 5

Fell in love with my driver all over again!

30 shots today, average distance 230 yards, for me same at 360+ for Tiger in terms of joy!

Fairly good dispersion! Nice roll!

Improved speed for the weapon.

May it act the same tomorrow on the round!

Bugs-1.jpeg

• Like 2

It's been rainy here the last couple of weekends and I haven't been able to get out and practice, until today. It was a beautiful, dry, 43 degree day and ripe for a range session.

Today while hitting, I met a man named W.T. who was working at the course and he asked if he could give me a little advice. He told me he once was on the path to be certified to be a teacher, but with his first child on the way his wife gave him a choice, diapers or golf. A wise man, he chose diapers. He told me my swing looked good, but I needed to move the ball back a hair (8 iron) and to start the swing just a little more to the inside.

Now, to be honest, I tend to hit the ball all over the face of my club. Shot 1: dead center. Shot 2: dead center. I hit a total of six shots that were just stacked. I was using spray powder to see where I was hitting and I wish I would have taken a photo. I will say that he had never thought about using spray powder and that he has always used impact tape, so I guess I was able to return the favor and teach him something.

I moved on to driver after he walked back over to the maintenance shop and hit some pretty nice shots into an area of the range I designated as a fairway. To give an idea of how much I improved, here's a photo from December 31 of how I was hitting areas from center to toe.

20191231_162154-01.jpeg

Here's my shots from today, I still need to work on consistency up and down, but I'm not getting shots coming off the toe or heel.

20200117_152027-01.jpeg

I'm hoping since I'm off next week I can get back out and see if I can replicate the magic both on the range and the course, weather permitting. He did give me a drill I can work on even indoors to keep the feeling I was getting today. I know you all have heard of holding a basketball and rotating with it. I plan on practicing it a lot to get the correct feeling on the takeaway. I have been working on the extreme inside takeaway I used to have and think I had over compensated leading me to coming back too far outside.

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 5

Good day through the bag!  Solid distance and dispersion, clubs all were within expectations.

90 shots, only one slice, two hook pulls, and one fat shot. if I had this result during a round, I would pay for all at the 19th hole!

joe cool.jpeg

• Like 2

On 1/12/2020 at 7:35 PM, PMookie said:

31*?! Good gracious. I don’t even STEP outside when it’s that cold! Good on ya!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I'm from Wisconsin, we grill out at 31º, LOL

• Like 2

I'm from Wisconsin, we grill out at 31º, LOL

I grew-up in Michigan, but SO glad I don’t have to do that anymore! Yuck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

We’ve had SO much rain lately that the ranges and courses are closed, so I went to the indoor trampoline park that has the golf simulators. I’ve been so anxious to try out the new irons! I started out “on the range” to see if the distances and gaps would be similar to what I thought they would be after being fitted, and they were! Sweet!
I did some drills for about 20 minutes, then I had the worker switch me to playing golf. I chose Spyglass Hill, and played all 18. Putting on that simulator is ridiculous! Other than that, I hit the ball well, and really love the feel of these Srixons. Butter....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4

Had another lesson on Friday and am very happy with where my swing is heading. We made a few tweaks to my takeaway, which means a few new swing thoughts to juggle for me, but the results were pretty staggering. When I started in November my path was very left, it's now 2-4 degrees right with a 7 iron. Toward the end of the lesson I was even hitting a bunch of baby draws right on the target line with a face-to-path of about -1.5. Pretty cool!

Anyway, we've had a ton of snow dumped on us this weekend, so I couldn't get to the range to work more on the changes, but I took the time today to spend about an hour hitting foam balls in my 38 degree garage while on camera. I had so-so success, but by the end I was lining everything up correctly. Getting the change to feel natural is going to take some time, hopefully I can get out to the range again next weekend. The weather seems to always get worse over the weekends! 

• Like 5

I went in for my first ever lesson back in early December, and my instructor had me work on widening out my backswing. I was wayy off plane at first, which surprised me. Worked on that at home for a few weeks, then went back in for lesson #2 last week. Really pleased with the progress from the first session!

Our second lesson he pointed out that I don't quite turn my hips early enough, so I'll be adding that in to staying on plane as well. We also took a look at my putting stroke, which I was pleasantly surprised with. It turns out I set up quite open, and then have a tendency to pull putts, but they were pretty consistent pulls. I guess that counts for something!

Definitely anxious for the Spring so I can test out some of these changes on a real course, instead of artificial turf ranges and living room carpet.

• Like 4

I got to hit the range for the 1st time in a long time. I took the daughter and Grand daughter both did very well. I did get through a bucket with success.. the back of the range is 200yds. hit several high up on the net at the back of the range with Driver Kept all but a couple in the " fairway".. hit some very nice irons.. all in all felt really good considering I'm hitting range balls off a mat in the drizzle.. I am soo ready for the weather to warm up..  

• Like 3

Worked on my iron swings and pitching distances.    Used the GC Quad at MGS to work on my iron swing since I had been hitting the ball fat recently.   Realized that I had been trying to hit down on my irons and as a result dumping the club into the ground behind the ball.   Been seeing some information about hand path so I wanted to try some experiments. Found that with the changes I was making great contact even though I felt like the hands were coming up at impact;  my AoA was almost perfect for the clubs I was using.    Worked on some distance control with some wedges they had on hand;  I think I have added the CBX2 wedge to my list of interests.   

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I think I have added the CBX2 wedge to my list of interests.   

I put the 60* CBX2 in my bag a couple of months ago .... love it!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

Worked on my iron swings and pitching distances.    Used the GC Quad at MGS to work on my iron swing since I had been hitting the ball fat recently.   Realized that I had been trying to hit down on my irons and as a result dumping the club into the ground behind the ball.   Been seeing some information about hand path so I wanted to try some experiments. Found that with the changes I was making great contact even though I felt like the hands were coming up at impact;  my AoA was almost perfect for the clubs I was using.    Worked on some distance control with some wedges they had on hand;  I think I have added the CBX2 wedge to my list of interests.   

2 hours ago, CarlH said:

I put the 60* CBX2 in my bag a couple of months ago .... love it!

I have a gap...  and yes it's a gap wedge.  For the last 9 months I have been playing with only 13 clubs.  Last spring I bought the 2019 Callaway PM Grind wedges in 60º and 54º.  I like them a lot, and the 6º gaps fine since I don't full swing either one of them.  However, the last wedge in my iron set is 44º and the 10º gap is just a little too much.  At home I could muscle up the 54º if I needed a few extra yards, but down here in Palm Springs, it doesn't work on this turf.  It's cost me a few strokes.

So on one of my 2 days off from playing I went shopping.  Although I like the PM Grind, I am not that fond of the MD5 wedges in a 50º flavor from Callaway, not sure why.  So, I looked at all brands.  The CBX2 actually caught my eye; right size and shape.  I think I might give it a try.

• Like 4

I rolled putts in my basement along a 3ft ruler working on start line.

Having not touched a club since October, I would say it was a successful little session. Nothing strenuous, but enough to show my some errors in my putter stroke and to ease my suffering through these dark and cold months.

• Like 4

arrived at course practice area to try my 'new' chipping technique which I think is the most natural one I've seen and I expect it to be perfect for me.............

course covered in hailstones and freezing wind so they aint thawing. Went home and sulked!

• Like 3

IMG_1580.JPG_1580.JPG]

I’ve decided to try hitting balls some during this round of SuperSpeed workouts. The first time I didn’t have my radar with - this time I did. Looks like me speed is coming back as this is where I was at on the radar after my second jump.

As a reminder I was at 84.5 on track an when I was a part of the G400 driver fitting group in the Spring of 2018. Since then I’ve been in a fitness program - lost 40 plus pounds that I’ve kept off, done the SuperSpeed test but also gotten two years older at a time of life when it matters (I’m now 63 and a half).

Granted the radar measures a bit faster than trackman but this drive was a bomb (for me) - I wish that I had my Swing Caddie with - I was hitting past a flag that was 241 with very little wind.

• Like 7

Nice afternoon, so I went to the driving range.  Hit some 7 irons for awhile then worked with my driver.  Was trying to get a better release with my hands instead of my tendency to holding on.  Chipped about 50 short shots, working on both high and low shots.

Saw my teaching pro and set up for a session with him to work on my full swing, particularly the driver.  I still have 1.5 lessons remaining from almost a year ago, so I'll use that up and then likely schedule some more time with him.  Time to get my game back to where it was 4 years ago. 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, revkev said:

IMG_1580.JPG_1580.JPG]

I’ve decided to try hitting balls some during this round of SuperSpeed workouts. The first time I didn’t have my radar with - this time I did. Looks like me speed is coming back as this is where I was at on the radar after my second jump.

As a reminder I was at 84.5 on track an when I was a part of the G400 driver fitting group in the Spring of 2018. Since then I’ve been in a fitness program - lost 40 plus pounds that I’ve kept off, done the SuperSpeed test but also gotten two years older at a time of life when it matters (I’m now 63 and a half).

Granted the radar measures a bit faster than trackman but this drive was a bomb (for me) - I wish that I had my Swing Caddie with - I was hitting past a flag that was 241 with very little wind.

WOW! 21MPH increase.....fantastic, well done!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

WOW! 21MPH increase.....fantastic, well done!

Thanks but read the fine print:

1.  This increase was not on the same device.  For me the radar has always been faster than Trackman but 3-5 MPH so that reduces the increase to 16-18 MPH - still great!

1. a.  This increase came during a SuperSpeed protocol - those are not permanent although the goal is to get them that way. 

Best guess is that the actual increase right now is 10 mph which is still really good - 20 yards plus -  It's still a bit below my SuperSpeed peak increase but I'm now hopeful that I can get back there and hold onto it this time around. 

• Like 3