Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

USGA - To Screw With Golf Balls Now?

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

The genie is out of the bottle, his pockets full of every "longest" golf ball on the market today, but is someone trying to stuff him back in?

For going on 10 years, and maybe a little longer, the golf ball has been flying farther and farther.

Every year's new version is just a little longer, a little hotter than the last.

Do you remember the days when 250 yards was the benchmark of hugeness off the tee? Today, that's puny, and well, yesterday's number, unless of course you're talking about Phil's or Bubba's four-iron.

What's the end point to this ever-longer game?

There is apparently somebody who doesn't think it's necessarily farther down the fairway, though putting the toothpaste back in the tube, so to speak, is going to be one tough assignment.

That "somebody" may well be the United States Golf Association, which has asked three different ball manufacturers to come up with a prototype of a less-hot ball.

READ FILL ARTICLE: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/golf/hot-ball-love-affair-cools-98904914.html

#TruthDigest

I'm okay with this. I'd rather the game be based off skill than equipment. I agree with the USGA's ruling on grooves. Pretty soon we'll have drivers you just place behind the ball and when you tap a button it kicks the ball down the fairway. Heck. Why not just put the ball in a cannon?

SARGE BLOG: Helping people win the internet since the day I started helping people win the internet.

They don't like all these 59, 60, 61 scores that are keeping the ratings up on tourneys.

•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

My biggest pet peeve with these rule changes is why punish johnny blue collar. Just cause the pros are tearing up the courses with low 60's and in a couple cases 59's, you shouldn't punish they guy that can't break 100 on a good day. I say if you are going to make a rule change, make it so the pros feel the pain not everyone else. Besides golf can be hard enough as it is changing things to make the game more challenging might divert people away from the game.

Fairways and Greens

Hmmm... yannooooo... USGA could go to a BOT (Ball of Tomnorrow) like NASCAR went to the COT (Car of Tomorrow). Then there would be one ball for everyone no matter their abilities, and they could put different manufacturer decals on it to make it look like it MIGHT be a Titty, TM, Calla, Nike ball. BAHHHHHHH! :blink:

•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

Lame. Really lame. If this was going to be a "Tour-only" rule, then I wouldn't care, but I know the USGA won't do the logical thing and separate rules for the .000001% who play at the Tour level. Moreover, are golf balls really getting longer anymore? I thought there were limits on the ball just like the driver.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I'm mixed about it. One the one hand, I don't really think the game should revolve around distance off the tee. On the other hand, really, it doesn't, no matter what they do. Longer balls puts most golfers further into the trees, so play them at your own risk. Longer balls also tend to spin less, so you're going to pay a price around the greens for using them.

For the most part, I think the USGA should stay the hell out, or at least tread very carefully before implementing rule changes. I've heard that the groove rule has not had much effect on the pros, but from MGS' study, it sure looks like it will effect us.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

They are bound a determined to make this game harder and less fun for me. I am not out there making millions or even hundreds of dollars playing this game. I liek to go out and have a fun time and accomplish something every once in awhile. It makes sense for the pros, but come on, why screw with the rest of us.

Correct me if I'm wrong Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers, they're gonna lock me up and throw away the key... - Carl Spackler

Why do they care. If the pros shoot 52 or better, it has no bearing on what we unwashed are able to do on the golf course. I am in my late 60's and the new technology has allowed me to continue to put the ball out where I did 20 years ago. I love the game but am not sure that I wouldn't find it frustrating that I cannot hit it as far as I used to. The low scores make the rating on TV and the new tech keeps us old guys enjoying our games and our fading abilities. Please don't let the USGA or anyone else take the fun out of the game for all the people who play golf, not just the elitists.

The USGA is a bunch of clueless pompous idiot 16 handicaps from high end private clubs. No touch with reality. They went after the grooves to back door slowing down the ball. Few if any tour players switched to high spinning models. IT backfired with the lower scores this year - soft conditions plus lower spinning irons equals getting it really close. Spin can be a tremendous detriment to better players in these condtions. They should have gone to spin rates of ball. At high speeds, higher spinning balls go shorter and more crooked. At the same time average players can gain better launch conditions and greenside spin. These guys are the kings of knee jerk reations. Their minds were made up prior to all of the testing of the grooves. If track and field would have reacted the same way to the 4 minute mile being broken, they would run the mile on a track of thick mud today.

In the August issue of Golf magazine, it actually shows a DECLINE in average driver distance for Tour pros, with the leaders being effected, as well.

Year Tour Average Tour Leader

2006 288.9 319.6

2007 288.6 315.2

2008 287.3 315.1

2009 287.9 312

2010* 283.2 304.5

*= through the time of print.

Is this because more pros are using 3 or 5 woods, or because their softer, spinnier balls have an effect on distance (like the "backdoor theory" suggests)?

Archived