Equipment - Does it define you?

ole gray

Do your golf clubs define who you are? Sometimes I feel awkward with my Titleist irons in the bag. Will people look in my bag and say WOW that dude must be a "player"! lol I'm about as far as one could be when it comes to being an elitist.  They look a little further and spot a Bettinardi . Well I'm still a country hick so don't get ya panties in a wad.  Some folks like to be brand loyal and everything in their bag reflects it. 14 clubs have to be from one OEM because they are brand homers.  It doesn't matter to me what's in your bag as long as you are happy with it.   Does your equipment define you?

Edit:  Well as of 2/12/2018 the Titliest irons are gone and the Pings are in so I guess you could define me as a club ho.  :D

Stay tuned as I'm sure there will be more changes before the seasons over.  ;)

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I play clubs that have to feel and look good to my eyes and for my game. Doesn't matter what brand, as long as they perform to my swing and my taste. Some clubs I hit better in players design and some in game improvement designs. Like you mentioned, as long as I am happy and I feel I can play relatively good with what I am playing then be it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Nah. I couldn't care less what brand is in my bag, I just buy what beats-out what I have already. When I coached I had all TaylorMade because the purchase program was ridiculously inexpensive, but since, I've bought what was found to fit me best at the time. I remember guys giving me grief about my SeeMore Giant FGP! “That entire putter is a sweet-spot,” but I played it because it sunk putts. No one has a clue about Edel, except folks on sites like this, so I'm ALWAYS asked, “What brand are THOSE?!” Yeah, I don't care. I just want what gives me the best chance to score well.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Woods yes. Irons no. For some reason or other I always seem to end up with Taylormade woods. I've tried Cobra, Ping, Titleist and don't seem to get along with them for some unknown reason, probably just my stupid brain. Irons on the other hand, I have gamed Ram, Lynx, Adams, Wilson, Taylormade, Ping, Spalding and some I can't remember. So yes my equipment defines me as a confused individual.

Driver: Taylormade QI10

3W: Taylormade QI10

5W: Taylormade QI10

Hybrid Taylormade 4 QI10

Irons: 5 to LW Taylormade Stealth

Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour

Ball: Taylormade TP 

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag

I think it does in a way. I love my Srixon irons and wear a Srixon hat. The hat has gotten more call outs than the irons. It's not a mainstream brand but it's noticeable and people associate them with better golfers. Not that I try to get a response but it's fun. Ha

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I'd say yes. My choice of clubs defines* who I am. At least as far as all the local guys I play with regularly. I'll just start by saying that none of these guys are into golf equipment like us forum members are. Yeah... we're golf geeks or freaks! Am I right?

Every since I purchased my Wishon irons i've been told or overheard that they are clones, el cheapo's, or perhaps, "what are Wishon? Some kind of chinese knock-offs?" LOL They are all very proud to be playing their Titleist, Mizunos, Callaways, TaylorMade, etc. etc. Rightly so as these are all top quality clubs for sure. I've been told, "man you ought to get yourself a set of these." Referring to their major brand name OTR clubs.  I've gotten the impression that perhaps maybe I can't afford the big name brands so I cheaped out by buying Wishons. Whatever. LOL

Most recently I've been seen out with my KZG's and again gotten a few similar comments as above. Although everyone agrees the KZG's are beautiful irons. You can't blame these guys. They're just regular Joe's mostly and ignorant of golf equipment unless it's on the rack somewhere or in a Golf Digest magazine. Surprisingly, some of these guys are very good-proficient players. But again... ignorant. I suppose I might be the same way regarding another sports I don't play or participate in. If someone were to ask me about fishing I'd show them my Garcia rod and reel. I mean... what else is there?

* the guy that plays cheap off brand stuff but takes their money on a regular basis. LOL

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I would say yes - your choice of clubs define who you are as a player. If they are the wrong clubs, they say more about you than a set that was built around you. If you're currently rocking the latest OTR gear from a manufacturer without being fitted for it, then you're either the most gifted natural on earth or the biggest tool. The latter is probably the norm. Which, as a modern society of choice, information, availability and access to the kind of equipment that is suited to your game - is kind of sad.

I'd say yes. My choice of clubs defines* who I am. At least as far as all the local guys I play with regularly. I'll just start by saying that none of these guys are into golf equipment like us forum members are. Yeah... we're golf geeks or freaks! Am I right?

Every since I purchased my Wishon irons i've been told or overheard that they are clones, el cheapo's, or perhaps, "what are Wishon? Some kind of chinese knock-offs?" LOL They are all very proud to be playing their Titleist, Mizunos, Callaways, TaylorMade, etc. etc. Rightly so as these are all top quality clubs for sure. I've been told, "man you ought to get yourself a set of these." Referring to their major brand name OTR clubs.  I've gotten the impression that perhaps maybe I can't afford the big name brands so I cheaped out by buying Wishons. Whatever. LOL

Most recently I've been seen out with my KZG's and again gotten a few similar comments as above. Although everyone agrees the KZG's are beautiful irons. You can't blame these guys. They're just regular Joe's mostly and ignorant of golf equipment unless it's on the rack somewhere or in a Golf Digest magazine. Surprisingly, some of these guys are very good-proficient players. But again... ignorant. I suppose I might be the same way regarding another sports I don't play or participate in. If someone were to ask me about fishing I'd show them my Garcia rod and reel. I mean... what else is there?

* the guy that plays cheap off brand stuff but takes their money on a regular basis. LOL

To a lesser degree I understand where you are coming from. Ten years ago when I got my Rife putter, no one I played with had ever heard of it. They thought I got it from a bargain bin somewhere. A guy I play with got an Evnroll putter last year but has no idea who Guerin Rife is. Like you say just a golfer, not a geek.

Driver: Taylormade QI10

3W: Taylormade QI10

5W: Taylormade QI10

Hybrid Taylormade 4 QI10

Irons: 5 to LW Taylormade Stealth

Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour

Ball: Taylormade TP 

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag

I say yes as well. However, it's not because of brand identification but rather through fittings and what worked best for me.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I say yes as well. However, it's not because of brand identification but rather through fittings and what worked best for me.

Me as well. Also my closest friends know about the MGS connection so they will notice what I'm bagging because they figure it's an insiders tip. It actually is for one of them. His specs are very similar to mine.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

A simple motto that defines my relatively ancient mixed bag and propensity for grinding: Marketing schmarketing, I hope you brought ca$h...

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

To be honest I really don't give a second thought to what other people, especially strangers, think about what I have in my bag.  People are going to judge - that is human nature - but I don't let it bother me and I make sure that I don't judge other people by what they carry in their bag.

My clubs rarely stay in thd bag long enough to define me. HA.

But in all seriousness, I think they do. And it probably began with the Evnroll putter I tested for the forum in 2016.

Our Head Pro, Assistant and GM, had never heard of the brand. They got curious watching me do the testing on the putting green and a few rounds together.

They found out how good of putter it was and have me a lot of credit for such a find. Like others have mentioned. Our HP and GM are not really equopment geeks.

But they have learned I'm generally up on all the new stuff and am a good resource. A large part of the players at our course now come to me to see what I have thafs new, or what I've heard about XYZ.

So since I'm don't want to do disappoint and live up to my reputation. I "owe it to the people" to try as much as I can this coming year.

Don't know if that actually answers the question. But in short I guess you could say, I like to have the latest, with a lean towards latest thst provides tech as opposed to just looks.

So thst defines me a bit.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

My irons say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." But my driver says, "ummm... better fix it." It's all in how you read it.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

When I find what I like, don't really care what people might think.

But I do like wearing a hat with what irons I am playing.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

I try to play what I like, mostly Callaway, but I am open to other choices as well. If it works I use it. There are brands that I don't care for, some of it is looks, some of it is I just don't like them, my equipment is just a way for me to play golf.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Yes, what's in the bag does define me ......sorta.

For the past 10 months I have been gaming the Hogan Ptx irons and Ft Worth Wedges. I really like their look and I get a lot of oooohs and ahhs then someone tells me how they used to have Hogan Apex, etc. However, I have struggled with my game and have decided to return to the Cobra F6 irons that I reviewed awhile back. They are a good 1/2 to a full club longer than the Hogans. As for the rest of my bag I have Cobra Fairways and Hybrid. I also game the Wilson Staff Triton and the EVNRoll putter.

All said, I am proud to game my clubs. For me, they are very dependable. And seem to start conversations. I am the resident equipment geek and get asked about new equipment a lot.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Yes absolutely, equipments do define you. For me it's not so much the brand name but what type of clubs you use. I take pride in sizing up my playing partners quickly by the types of clubs they use. I'm not big in brands I can play with just about anything as long as it says Callaway on it :)

In general, I'm not afraid of betting a guy hitting 9* driver and carry 13* spoon, and 2-pw blades or player clubs. I'm terrified of the ones who plays with 12* drivers and carry 3-4 hybrids from 4 and some as seen on tv wedge.

The latter type has less ego and plays within his limit as well as willingness to fill the weakness with specialty clubs, they tend to worry more about good results than looking good.

I play with quite a few good players I can count in one hand of the ones who can hit 3i-5i consistent result. Same players can hit hybrids with significantly better results but refuse to change, go figure.

I certainly don't define myself by what's in my bag if that's what you're asking, but I certainly do think others might make assumptions about me based on equipment.

I wouldn't be playing the clubs I do if they didn't help me score out on the golf course. That's all I care about.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

While define may not be the accurate term, my clubs somewhat do mirror me.    My clubs and I are old.   My clubs would be seen by most as seasoned citizens in the equipment world.   Like me, while my clubs are old, they are still functional.   While old school may not be as fancy, old school can still work.

I don't think that my equipment defines me. Although the question overall is more on the creative side and I think more logically. The clubs in my bag were generally selected for a purpose and because I felt they accomplished that purpose. Nothing was pick in haste and numerous evaluations were done to see how they performed over time.

I don't really care what people think about the equipment that is in my bag and if you are trying to judge me or evaluate me based on the golf clubs I carry, I don't think you really want to know me for who I am. Is a person that carries PXG, Honma, or some tour only equipment better than a person that carries 10 year old knockoffs?

This probably sounds a little rantish but is not intended to be that way. Just like the saying clothes don't make the man, equipment doesn”t define a player.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I guess my clubs do tell a lot about me.  A look in my bag, and someone would say:  "Here's an old guy, trying to keep what little game he has."

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

It's funny because even though I spend time on a golf equipment I rarely notice what others are playing brand wise, but I always notice what style putter a guy is playing, usually because they comment on my old-ass blade putter.

Maybe the equipment I use defines me. I don't like advertising with my bag or my hat so hat is usually a blank ball cap and I use knit covers for my woods. I even remove the giant shaft band/logo KBS puts on their shafts, but that might be more because C Tapers look sweet naked. As for the irons, most don't even notice my KZG's, actually only twice has someone commented on them, both times young guys. One loved them and asked about them, the other mentioned I should upgrade to more tech.

I do have a Oakland A's towel on my bag so when I meet up with someone they know I'm representing the East Bay and am not some bandwagon jumping Giants fan.

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I've been thinking it's time to redefine myself.

Yea it's kind of fun if ya pocket book can stand it  :D

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I've been using a TM putter (just changed to a TM TP Collection Soto recently) for the past 5 years, and it's usually been one of the best clubs in my bag. However, I do tend to get a few weird looks whenever I pulled it out of my bag (particularly my old one, as it was a slightly cheaper model) and I still do with the Soto. I'm not usually one to stereotype, but I find that the people who give me odd stares have Scotty Camerons or some other big putter brand (including people with TM Spider Tours!!). 

I've also found that having PING irons does make other people think I'm a Player (maybe not the extent of a Titleist iron set would, but I'll take the compliment).

On the other side, I tend to think that people (assuming that they aren't elderly/sickly/injured) with TM or Callaway drivers are bombers off the tee, and I feel a little sad when they only hit it 250yd instead of 280+!!

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid (not in play): Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Driving Iron: Wilson Staff Utility Iron 18 degree with KBS Hybrid Stiff shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50; Callaway MD4 - 56; Vokey SM9 - 60

Putter: Taylormade Rossa CGB

Golf Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond 

I've been using a TM putter (just changed to a TM TP Collection Soto recently) for the past 5 years, and it's usually been one of the best clubs in my bag. However, I do tend to get a few weird looks whenever I pulled it out of my bag (particularly my old one, as it was a slightly cheaper model) and I still do with the Soto. I'm not usually one to stereotype, but I find that the people who give me odd stares have Scotty Camerons or some other big putter brand (including people with TM Spider Tours!!).

My old dad still putts the eyes out of the greens with his old TM TPA V. I'd like to see him use a little more tech, but I have to respect this. He got his about two weeks after I got mine, back in 1988. He keeps mine as a backup.

s-l225.jpg

Don't let funny looks from others change your mind.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Archived