Taylormade SIM drivers - Thoughts?

JonMUSC08

8 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

I haven't seen the new Tesla 4x4 in person, nor driven it, but I have an opinion on it's looks.

That fine an dandy. 

CC5 sig.png

I will add that I find it interesting that TM’s design has led the TXG guys to ponder if the loft up campaign will be back. Even Shiels made note of how low spin the SIM is and got more playable results with the SIM Max.

How much do you think the attempt to move CG low and back matters with a weight and accompanying track located towards the front? I’m looking forward to most wanted testing to find out!

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Aldila RIP Alpha 60 S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Bridgestone J40 CB (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 4 34"
Ball: Snell MTB-X
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Just now, TR1PTIK said:

I will add that I find it interesting that TM’s design has led the TXG guys to ponder if the loft up campaign will be back. Even Shiels made note of how low spin the SIM is and got more playable results with the SIM Max.

How much do you think the attempt to move CG low and back matters with a weight and accompanying track located towards the front? I’m looking forward to most wanted testing to find out!

The article tony did talks about this to an extent. 

low and back has higher cog and they had to raise the crown. The sliding weight in the front will help a bit as has been seen in several other brands that more  weight forward reduces spin.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

8 minutes ago, jlukes said:

That fine an dandy. 

why thank you kind sir. Have a good day.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

The biggest thing that pissed me off in this release is the fake Ventus shafts as the stock options in the Max. 

Hopefully taylormade has a nice list of no upcharged options. 

There's no reason to have a made for shaft in a $500 driver. Taylormade just trying to ride the momentum of the Ventus shaft unfortunately. 

Callaway did the same thing in previous years with HZRDUS. Not sure what they're doing with their top gun driver this year 

• Like 5

CC5 sig.png

34 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Like the M6...

TaylorMade-M6-YouTube_8f8278ec7a6efdee59

haha my Bad too... I even own the M6 and forgot it looks like the F9. 🙄

Unfortunately the SIM just added an even larger mass to the bottom.

Even the Youtube Reviewers (Rick Shiels, etc) were a bit underwhelmed. Still a Great driver im sure, but...

My $.02, buy a M5/M6 for the new price!

• Like 3

Charleston, SC

HDCP 12.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :taylormade-small:  M4 with 60g Atmos red stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: 52, 56, 60 :titelist-small: SM5 & SM6
  • Putter: 34" :odyssey-small: 2-ball original with superstroke grip
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

Callaway did the same thing in previous years with HZRDUS. Not sure what they're doing with their top gun driver this year 

The Mavrik I tested had a Even Flow Riptide.
  • Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

20 minutes ago, cnosil said:

The Mavrik I tested had a Even Flow Riptide.

Good to hear. 

The remember the original epic launched with a HZRDUS T800. Which was a made for shaft 

• Like 2

CC5 sig.png

Personally I like it.  I've always liked how Taylormade drivers set at address over any other.  I'll be in the market for a new driver this year and the SIM will definitely be in consideration.  Someone mentioned the high launch/low spin, the TXG guys did a test and this does seem to be the case.  

• TaylorMade SIM2 9.7* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15.9* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 6.5
  • Titleist 816 H2 20* - MCA Diamana S+ 90 X 
  • Srixon Z565 3i - PX 6.5
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM8 52F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Scotty Cameron X7 Phantom 34”
  • Titleist -Pro V1X

Good to hear. 
The remember the original epic launched with a HZRDUS T800. Which was a made for shaft 

Can’t answer if the riptide is an authentic or made for in the callaway line. We know the Ventus in the TM line is made for. Would have to compare side by side; I looked at the TM Ventus and didn’t notice the missing verbiage

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Can’t answer if the riptide is an authentic or made for in the callaway line. We know the Ventus in the TM line is made for. Would have to compare side by side; I looked at the TM Ventus and didn’t notice the missing verbiage

That's because taylormade and fujikura intentionally made it look identical. 

Scummy move 

• Like 4

CC5 sig.png

23 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Riptide is going to be a stock offering in the sim so unless they have a made for shaft for Callaway and another for Tm should be the “stock” hzrdus offering 

• Like 2

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

32 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Scummy move 

The more I think of it, this is more Scummy by Fujikura than anything else. Cheapens their own brand. 

Why offer something with Ventus on it if it doesn't contain the "groundbreaking" tech that makes the actual Ventus great 

• Like 5

CC5 sig.png

Here’s the deal: we KNOW folks are gonna gripe, right? So, let’s just let them gripe and then not follow it up with another year of, “Jeez! Stop complaining.”

It’s automatic. One person complains, then we all jump-in and say stop. They do it, we do it. Let’s be better in 2020!

I vow to address the findings specifically with folks who cry “foul”.

Such as: In the TXG video with the TM guy, they talk about the subtle changes to the face, bulge and roll, where they put the cone, etc. How these will lead to small changes like less spin-drop from a high-face strike, etc.

Steer the conversation back to what the manufacturer talks about, and then we start to have less griping from both sides, AND a better conversation about the tech, etc. The first two pages are just us going back-and-forth. Let’s change for 2020! We can DO IT!!!

[emoji3]

“Control what you can control. The rest is just noise.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 6

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Super Hybrid 17*, Aldila RIP Alpha 105 S, tipped 1”

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All clubs have :Arccos:  In the Winn Dri-Tac 2.0 Oversize grips

4 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Here’s the deal: we KNOW folks are gonna gripe, right? So, let’s just let them gripe and then not follow it up with another year of, “Jeez! Stop complaining.”

It’s automatic. One person complains, then we all jump-in and say stop. They do it, we do it. Let’s be better in 2020!

I vow to address the findings specifically with folks who cry “foul”.

Such as: In the TXG video with the TM guy, they talk about the subtle changes to the face, bulge and roll, where they put the cone, etc. How these will lead to small changes like less spin-drop from a high-face strike, etc.

Steer the conversation back to what the manufacturer talks about, and then we start to have less griping from both sides, AND a better conversation about the tech, etc. The first two pages are just us going back-and-forth. Let’s change for 2020! We can DO IT!!!
emoji3.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Agree and there should be official threads started by mods. Otherwise you get threads like this were someone starts a thread about new equipment and then immediately bashes it in the opening post. 

When a thread starts with those sort of comments, it doesn't lead to discussion about the driver because the person who started their thread never wanted it to be be about the tech or subtle improvement about the driver they wanted it to be about their take. 

• Like 4

CC5 sig.png

I can speak to this Driver. Been gaming a M6 for little over a year with Tensei shaft. Was at my fitter last week for a wedge fitting. He had the Sim Max on his desk. Long story short....It's been in my bag mated to a "real" Ventus Blue Shaft (not the stock shaft) and I've hit it quite a bit. First, don't care what the bottom looks like....because I can't see it at address. Second, the new color scheme is sick and I really like it. Can't say it's a LOT better than the M6 or that it'll make anyone longer off the tee....what I can say is that it has a different feel and sound when hit and I'm getting more carry over the M6. Haven't done significant testing driver vs driver because course has been really wet and haven't had the time.

I can say....if your in the market for a new driver....you should test drive it. It appears to be the real deal. Lastly, if you're one of those guys that just likes the "new" stuff and can afford it...knock yourself out and buy it. Don't think there'll be any buyers remorse on this one. This one will more than likely remain in my bag.

Anyone in the market for a nice M6?

• Like 2

:taylormade-small: TM SIM Max 9*- HZRDUS, Small Batch Smoke Green 70 Stiff PVD

:taylormade-small: TM SIM Titanium 3W - HZRDUS, Smoke Green 70 Stiff

:taylormade-small: TM SIM Titanium 5W - Diamana LTD 75 Stiff

:srixon-small: A-4iron ZX7 - Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:taylormade-small: 4 GAPR - Ozik stiff

:Miura: 55* K-Grind Miura

:scotty-cameron-1: Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura X5 

:titelist-small: Titleist Left Dash Prov1X 

2 hours ago, jlukes said:

Scummy move 

When I looked at the page on the TM website and saw the shafts offered for the Max I let out a disappointing "oh" and left the page. I thought the era of made-for shafts was dead, kind of off-putting for me, but I still want to hit it.

• Like 2

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi3 10* Tensei AV Raw Blue

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Modus 3 115 Wedge

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 w/ BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

56 minutes ago, yungkory said:

When I looked at the page on the TM website and saw the shafts offered for the Max I let out a disappointing "oh" and left the page. I thought the era of made-for shafts was dead, kind of off-putting for me, but I still want to hit it.

Most of the golfing public won’t know it’s a made for or would they be able to tell the difference between the real deal and the made for. Also the made for market never really died. With the way brands design heads shaft manufacturers have to work with them to get their new designs setup and able to be used with drivers. Tm head and Callaway head have different properties and thus the same shaft may not work in both heads. 

ping has been using made for shafts forever. They ping your shaft is built off the elements chrome shaft.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

Agree and there should be official threads started by mods. Otherwise you get threads like this were someone starts a thread about new equipment and then immediately bashes it in the opening post. 

When a thread starts with those sort of comments, it doesn't lead to discussion about the driver because the person who started their thread never wanted it to be be about the tech or subtle improvement about the driver they wanted it to be about their take. 

If we’re going to eliminate personal opinion from the MGS forums then I’m out.

The OP’s post was a subjective take on a new release that falls in-line with what a lot of other golfers see in the new SIM drivers. However, thanks to the input of those paying closer attention, both @JonMUSC08 and myself stand corrected and admitted as much. This is the way it should be IMO.

If you want to talk about tech, then talk about tech. No one is stopping you from steering the discussion in a different direction, but the only way for the cycle of perceived bashing and rebuttal to stop is for someone to take the reigns and do something different. These types of threads do and will continue to exist in spite of any “official” threads created by mods.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Most of the golfing public won’t know it’s a made for or would they be able to tell the difference between the real deal and the made for. Also the made for market never really died. With the way brands design heads shaft manufacturers have to work with them to get their new designs setup and able to be used with drivers. Tm head and Callaway head have different properties and thus the same shaft may not work in both heads. 

ping has been using made for shafts forever. They ping your shaft is built off the elements chrome shaft.

Truthfully, most of the golfers out there might not even know the story about Ventus shafts to even care that it’s printed on there. I think it has much more to do with simply matching the appearance of what we see the pros hitting.

I thought MGS published an article on factory shafts a year or two ago that stated Ping shafts were more of a co-engineered type of deal and not quite the standard “made for” agreement. Maybe I’m misremembering again?

Edited by TR1PTIK
  • Like 2