Jump to content

Using a line on a golf ball for putting


Recommended Posts

I have been considering a new method for putting to try and shave off as many strokes as possible. I have never used lines on a golf ball for aiming at the target. I’ve always been a feel player. For Christmas my father in law purchased me a golf ball marking tool. I’ve seen the data on the triple track and how beneficial it can be. I also just read this article that talked about some of the positives and negatives, https://www.google.com/amp/s/golf.com/instruction/putting/should-you-use-line-on-golf-ball-top-100-teacher/amp/

 

I’ve tried it for a day or two now albeit only indoor putting on the perfect putt out. Results are positive initially as I feel more confident once I decide my line and aim point. Curious to see what other members think, and what kind of results they have had with the triple track or other ball alignment setup for putting. 

:titelist-small: TS3 Tensei Av Raw White 65s

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder Tour Spec

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White or King Cobra UT 18.5 with KBS C Taper

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-GW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM7 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex stiff

:odyssey-small:  Double Wide Stroke Lab 2019 with Super Stroke Tour 3.0

:Snell: MTB-X Golf Ball or Vice Pro Plus

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

:CaddyTek: V8 3 Wheel Push Cart

Leupod Gx2i3 Rangefinder

Link to post
Share on other sites

Was part of the Align XL test that was putting this very theory in practice. I'm one of those rare people that did MUCH worse with an aiming aide (apparently Rory also has the same condition) but others have found it useful.

Check out the Align XL test here

  • Like 4

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Evenflow Black 65 6.0

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:wilson_staff_small:  D7 4-GW, KBS 105

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

Link to post
Share on other sites

Using a line on the ball is personal preference and is often based on how you see the line of the putt and what you need to focus on to get the startline correct.   Some people use it for all putts, some for short putts only, and others not at all.   All you can do is experiment and see how it works for you.   Many people abandon it due to the parallax error that occurs if you don't see the line correctly. 

  • Like 4

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  Bellum Winmore 787

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in the camp that they help.  This is the one I use and have been for over a year now, I use the center line and the 4 small lines parallel to the center.   I purchased it from Amazon for about $6.   If you have Amazon Prime it is a cheap option to try and see how you like a line or lines on the ball.  

 

61-dBKFDUrL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

  • Like 4

Driver -  :callaway-small:  Epic Flash with Mitsubishi C6 Red 50 R-flex  shaft
Woods - :callaway-small:   Mavrik 3 Wood & Epic Flash  Heavenwood
Hybrid - :callaway-small:   Epic Flash 4H
Irons - :callaway-small:   Rogue X 5 - AW
Wedges -  :cleveland-small:  CBX2 54* & 58*
Putter -   :EVNROLL: ER2
Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE
Ball - :Snell: MTB-X

Bag -  2020 Bag Boy Chiller Cart Bag

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have used the line for years. For me it works better than no line. My process is to aim the line at the intended target line. I then go a few feet behind the ball to verify the target line.  I use an Odyssey Marksman Fang putter which has the long alignment line on the putter head. I align the line on the ball with the line on the putter and as much as a straight back straight through stroke as possible. 

I also use the line on my drives. My course has many tee boxes that are offset or on an angle to the fairway. I will align the line on the ball with where I want to hit the ball in the fairway. Then swing along the ball line Its just something that works for me.  

  • Like 4

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not use a line.  I typically set the name logo along my intended path, however, I do not fixate on it being the exact line.  I use it more as a focusing aid for my eyes to help me remain centered and stay still over the ball throughout the stroke.

  • Like 1

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*), 5W (21*), 7W (24*), Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 52*, 56*, 60* wedges.  Stock shafts.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Link to post
Share on other sites

I really want to be better using a line, but I'm not. It makes me worse for whatever reason, my eyes see the line and the parallax error between them, the ball and the hole causes issues for me. I'm much better off not using a line. But I've given it a lot of effort and tries to make it work. 

  • Like 1

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 17.5° - Fujikura Pro

Utility:    :cobra-small: King Forged 20.5° Utility - Catalyst X

Irons:   image.png.cbfb2d938ea45d82004d9bdeb23cf643.pngD7 Forged GW-5i - Recoils

Wedges:   :callaway-small:  Mac Daddy Forged 52° , 56°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t use any kind of line or the name on the ball at all, in fact I tend to put my ball where I see nothing at address.

I’ve tried the lines and the triple trac and they seem to “counter act” my normal putting methods. Most that know me or have played with me a time or 2 consider me a good putter....I average right around 27 putts a round and I haven’t had a 3 putt in my last 3 rounds.

I’m not sure why but the lines on the ball seem to cause me to block putts to the right...I look at my aim point when putting then back to the ball right before my stroke.


Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

 

:cobra-small: King F7+ UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 6F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:cobra-small: King PuR Wedges 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 3.0 grip

Arccos Generation 1 Sensors on all clubs

Snell MTB



Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a single line when putting. Its the line I want to start the ball then all I need to worry about is speed. I am an avg putter usually 32-36 putts per round. I believe this higher number has more to do with proximity to the hole on approach shots. 

 

Someone mentioned using the line on tee shots/drives.  I haven't tried that but will try it out. I am someone that struggles with the driver and alignment. 

 

Epic GBB driver 10.5 turned down to 9.5 Hzruds 6.5 smoke shaft. 

Titleist U15 1 iron 

Callaway X Hot irons stiff shafts 4-AW, Lost the 3 iron.

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

Odyssey White Ice 355G putter

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, DawgDaddy said:

I'm in the camp that they help.  This is the one I use and have been for over a year now, I use the center line and the 4 small lines parallel to the center.   I purchased it from Amazon for about $6.   If you have Amazon Prime it is a cheap option to try and see how you like a line or lines on the ball.  

 

61-dBKFDUrL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I was gifted one similar to this for Christmas 

  • Like 1

:titelist-small: TS3 Tensei Av Raw White 65s

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder Tour Spec

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White or King Cobra UT 18.5 with KBS C Taper

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-GW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM7 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex stiff

:odyssey-small:  Double Wide Stroke Lab 2019 with Super Stroke Tour 3.0

:Snell: MTB-X Golf Ball or Vice Pro Plus

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

:CaddyTek: V8 3 Wheel Push Cart

Leupod Gx2i3 Rangefinder

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, cnosil said:

Using a line on the ball is personal preference and is often based on how you see the line of the putt and what you need to focus on to get the startline correct.   Some people use it for all putts, some for short putts only, and others not at all.   All you can do is experiment and see how it works for you.   Many people abandon it due to the parallax error that occurs if you don't see the line correctly. 

Thanks for bringing up the parallax. I just watched a video by Mike Malaska, who helped me get an understanding for the alignment and limiting the parallax 

  • Like 1

:titelist-small: TS3 Tensei Av Raw White 65s

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder Tour Spec

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White or King Cobra UT 18.5 with KBS C Taper

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-GW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM7 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex stiff

:odyssey-small:  Double Wide Stroke Lab 2019 with Super Stroke Tour 3.0

:Snell: MTB-X Golf Ball or Vice Pro Plus

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

:CaddyTek: V8 3 Wheel Push Cart

Leupod Gx2i3 Rangefinder

Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a line and found it really helps for short putts. Two summers ago, a couple of my partners were chuckling about using a line, last summer the same guys had drawn a line on their golf balls.


Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

  • Like 2

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

I use a line and found it really helps for short putts. Two summers ago, a couple of my partners were chuckling about using a line, last summer the same guys had drawn a line on their golf balls.


Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I’m gonna give it a go this year. I feel that it can’t hurt. Hope I am not changing too many variables. I have gone from standard to left hand low, also back to a double blade or mallet putter with a large aiming line

  • Like 1

:titelist-small: TS3 Tensei Av Raw White 65s

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder Tour Spec

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White or King Cobra UT 18.5 with KBS C Taper

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-GW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM7 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex stiff

:odyssey-small:  Double Wide Stroke Lab 2019 with Super Stroke Tour 3.0

:Snell: MTB-X Golf Ball or Vice Pro Plus

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

:CaddyTek: V8 3 Wheel Push Cart

Leupod Gx2i3 Rangefinder

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2020 at 7:09 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I have used the line for years. For me it works better than no line. My process is to aim the line at the intended target line. I then go a few feet behind the ball to verify the target line.  I use an Odyssey Marksman Fang putter which has the long alignment line on the putter head. I align the line on the ball with the line on the putter and as much as a straight back straight through stroke as possible. 

I also use the line on my drives. My course has many tee boxes that are offset or on an angle to the fairway. I will align the line on the ball with where I want to hit the ball in the fairway. Then swing along the ball line Its just something that works for me.  

Same for me, except I also mark another line perpendicular to one end of the alignment line forming a T.  I align the long alignment aid on my Ping putter with the alignment line, and also square the putter face to the top of the T line.

I always use the T to aim my tee shots.  Many times the tee markers are aimed when you do NOT want to go!!

  • Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2020 at 6:22 PM, RollingGreens said:

I have been considering a new method for putting to try and shave off as many strokes as possible. I have never used lines on a golf ball for aiming at the target. I’ve always been a feel player. For Christmas my father in law purchased me a golf ball marking tool. I’ve seen the data on the triple track and how beneficial it can be. I also just read this article that talked about some of the positives and negatives, https://www.google.com/amp/s/golf.com/instruction/putting/should-you-use-line-on-golf-ball-top-100-teacher/amp/

 

I’ve tried it for a day or two now albeit only indoor putting on the perfect putt out. Results are positive initially as I feel more confident once I decide my line and aim point. Curious to see what other members think, and what kind of results they have had with the triple track or other ball alignment setup for putting. 

 

23 hours ago, TBT said:

I don’t use any kind of line or the name on the ball at all, in fact I tend to put my ball where I see nothing at address.

I’ve tried the lines and the triple trac and they seem to “counter act” my normal putting methods. Most that know me or have played with me a time or 2 consider me a good putter....I average right around 27 putts a round and I haven’t had a 3 putt in my last 3 rounds.

I’m not sure why but the lines on the ball seem to cause me to block putts to the right...I look at my aim point when putting then back to the ball right before my stroke.


Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Silly me, I thought everyone on tour used a line on their ball or the logo to line their putts up. Great article @RollingGreens. While reading the comments here made me think about a few things. I have always line up my putts with something on the ball, unless I am having a bad round and just a little heated. I also tend to not "line" the putts up when its my third putt no matter how close or far it is away from the hole. Want me to make a 10 footer for birder, pff probably not. You want me to drain a 15 footer for double bogie and it be my third putt, oh yeah middle of cup baby. I never thought there maybe a connection to how I putt until this thread, so this year I will be going the opposite directions and I will not be "lining" up my putts, ALL Feeel. 

2020 TESTER Ben Hogan UiHi 18* Utility Iron

Driver:     - Anser - 8.5* - Fujikara Red Blur 005 XStiff - Standard L/L

3W:     - SQ Sumo - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Stiff - Standard L/L

Hybrid 3:     - Machspeed - UST Mamiya AXIVCore XStiff -Standard L/L

Irons:      - Idea Black CB3  4-GW - KBS Tour Stiff+ - Standard L/L

Wedges:    - Vokey 52*, 54*, 60* - True Temper Wedge - Standard L/L

Putter:     - Versa Blade - 35in

Ball:      NXT Tour

Bag:  - Ultra Light Cart Bag  

Loc: USA/MD

Handicap: 13

Link to post
Share on other sites

There have been two “tests” that showed that using the line on the ball did not increase the number of made putts, etc. I’ve found that it adds significant amounts of time to my reads since getting the line just right takes a bit. I use my Aimpoint and go... I don’t care how the ball is sitting on the green. Makes no difference to me how it’s oriented.

  • Like 1

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy: 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PMookie said:

There have been two “tests” that showed that using the line on the ball did not increase the number of made putts, etc. I’ve found that it adds significant amounts of time to my reads since getting the line just right takes a bit. I use my Aimpoint and go... I don’t care how the ball is sitting on the green. Makes no difference to me how it’s oriented.

I wish I could say that it would add time for me but I may just follow the norm. I think this is going to help me strategize and come up with a sequence for putting going forward

  • Like 1

:titelist-small: TS3 Tensei Av Raw White 65s

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder Tour Spec

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White or King Cobra UT 18.5 with KBS C Taper

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-GW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM7 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex stiff

:odyssey-small:  Double Wide Stroke Lab 2019 with Super Stroke Tour 3.0

:Snell: MTB-X Golf Ball or Vice Pro Plus

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

:CaddyTek: V8 3 Wheel Push Cart

Leupod Gx2i3 Rangefinder

Link to post
Share on other sites

I use an intermediate point to line up the ball and putter face approx. 2-6" in front of the ball. Usually a specific blade of grass or some discoloration on the green. The line can help on shorter putts up to about 12-15' if I am having trouble identifying a specific spot to help aim. On lag putts 20'+ where speed is more important, the focus on line seems to lead to worse performance. 

One of the biggest benefits of the line is seeing if you are rolling it end over end or cutting across the ball. 

:cobra-small: F9 Driver 9*

:cobra-small: Baffler 2H/5H

:ping-small: G410 4-UW, Glide 2.0 54, 60*

:EVNROLL: ER2.2

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 months later...

I’ve been marking the ball with three lines for the past 2 years, and for me, it’s helped my putting game. 

And as others have mentioned, if it’s a putt that’s 20-30+ ft, my intent is to just get the ball close to hole and judge the correct speed ... really don’t bother with lining up the putt. 

I’ll add that if there is significant break, of say 2 to 3 ft of right/left break, no matter the distance, I’ll put with the clean white side up. 

The 🙌🏼

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...