The Open Championship 2021

Usually the guys who play the Scottish Open the week before are better prepared for the conditions and I suspect Royal St Georges is going to be playing firm similar to The Renaissance so bombers maybe not have such a big advantage. Has Rickie even qualified?

For me I would want Robert McIntyre to do well but winner maybe Spieth.

List of US entries to the Scottish Open.

image.png.bf93b58386ab61cb8c18625cc06979e7.png

• Like 1

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

My favorite week and championship of the year!

Given the extraordinary Open last held in Sandwich, I'm pulling hard for Lee Westwood to get his major championship. Darren Clarke did it in 2011, I think Westy can do it in 2021!

Royal St. Georges is somewhat unique among links courses in the UK. Elevated tee boxes present a challenge with the cross winds not typically found at most flatter links courses. It typically plays more like a linksy course in the Irish countryside. Jon Rahm won the Irish Open in 2019 at Lahinch so I think that bodes well for him in Sandwich. My heart screams Westy, my head tells me to calm down, Rahm is the answer.  Besides, now that Rahm has his major championship, I think he is going to win them in bunches. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sixcat said:

My favorite week and championship of the year!

Given the extraordinary Open last held in Sandwich, I'm pulling hard for Lee Westwood to get his major championship. Darren Clarke did it in 2011, I think Westy can do it in 2021!

Royal St. Georges is somewhat unique among links courses in the UK. Elevated tee boxes present a challenge with the cross winds not typically found at most flatter links courses. It typically plays more like a linksy course in the Irish countryside. Jon Rahm won the Irish Open in 2019 at Lahinch so I think that bodes well for him in Sandwich. My heart screams Westy, my head tells me to calm down, Rahm is the answer.  Besides, now that Rahm has his major championship, I think he is going to win them in bunches. 

I would be happy if Westy finally punched that ticket, but like you said and I mentioned Rahm broke the major seal, they will be coming along at a good clip I do believe.

• Like 3

Very happy that a member of my club Deyen Lawson has qualified for his first major. It's been great to see him go from a 10 year old who was always working on his game to someone who's good enough to play in The Open. Hope he does well.

• Like 4

:ping-small:  G400 SFT Aldila Xtorsion Copper Stiff
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched Jon Rahm's press conference. I really like this guy. He is conversational, smart, respectful, and I like his showing of emotion on the course. His conference followed Brooks Koepka and you can see the difference in likability.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2021 at 4:02 AM, Alf. S said:

Has Rickie even qualified?

Yes, Rickie is listed in the field.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

JT or JR played OK last week maybe worth a punt. 

St George's usually throws up some unlikely winners last 2 being Darren Clarke and Ben Curtis. I'd forgotten the Thomas Bjorn melt down in 2003, -4 with 4 to play and dropped 4 strokes to lose it to Curtis, ouch!

• Like 1

WIMB

With the uptick in variant Covid (Delta), I'm a bit surprised they are allowing 30K fans in each day.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

Yeap, me too,  it is no coincidence that the Euros 2020 were allowing crowds of 60,000 into Wembley and the infection rate has rocketed in London. 

• Sad 1

WIMB

Is it just me or doesn't the Open seem like the perfect book end to "Major" season? 

April with the Azaleas and end golf "Major" season with the OPEN? Seems very fitting and balanced to me. I think I like the new schedule more and more I think about it. 

Especially with Brooks/Spieth coming home with the win...  

• Like 1

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° Driver, X stiff MMT 60 shaft (MGS Tester)
:ping-small: G410 17° hybrid, X stiff
:taylormade-small:  M1 20.5°  hybrid, X stiff
:mizuno-small:  JPX-921 Tours 4 iron thru PW, Modus 105 X stiff
:mizuno-small:  S18 50°, 56° & 60°
 :bettinardi-1: Single Stock #3 34.5" putter

2019 MSG Forum Tester- Bridgestone e12

2021 Callaway Epic Max LS Driver Test

34 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Ok Jordan.  We see you.

Hit the ball really well today, driver especially

• Like 2

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° Project X HZRDUS Black HAND-CRAFTED Wood Shaft - Spargo Golf Smoke Black 70g 6.5 (2021 Official Review) | :taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff 

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° :Fuji: Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff | :titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro  5 - PW  :Fuji:  Pro Tour Spec 115i Stiff | :Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56° KBS-logo - KZG Tour V 110 Stiff

:cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0 | :ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: - Pro V1x | Right Handed

Tracked by :ShotScope:

On 7/13/2021 at 4:20 PM, DannyDips said:

Is it just me or doesn't the Open seem like the perfect book end to "Major" season?  

"Winner of the gold medal, and champion golfer of the year....."

It's not just you. The PGA moving to May has set the world back on its axis. Delightful!!!

• Like 4

On 7/13/2021 at 4:20 PM, DannyDips said:

April with the Azaleas and end golf "Major" season with the OPEN? Seems very fitting and balanced to me. I think I like the new schedule more and more I think about it. 

Especially with Brooks/Spieth coming home with the win...  

Absolutely agree. From March through September each month has at least one compelling great tournament to watch, from the Players, the four majors, the Fedex, to the Ryder Cup or President's Cup (granted that the President's Cup usually isn't as compelling).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LICC said:

Absolutely agree. From March through September each month has at least one compelling great tournament to watch, from the Players, the four majors, the Fedex, to the Ryder Cup or President's Cup (granted that the President's Cup usually isn't as compelling).

I could pass on the FedEx, but the rest I 100% agree with.  I like to see 1 or 2 more WGC, that isn’t in the US to take the spot of the FedEx playoffs.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shankster said:

I could pass on the FedEx, but the rest I 100% agree with.  I like to see 1 or 2 more WGC, that isn’t in the US to take the spot of the FedEx playoffs.  

Fully on-board with this!!!

• Like 1

Anyone have their thoughts on the staff bags this weekend? Personally I love TM's... simple classic and to me very much represents the Open golf with its aesthetics and simplicity. Then there is Callaways, bright bold colorful and very unique but for me doesn't suite the event. I maybe should look at some more closeups, but to me it screams the loud pants golf company and looks a bit out of place. Again I need to look at close up and maybe there is a story there, but night and day stylistic choices and at least for me a clear winner in TM's

• Like 2

⛳🛄 as of Sept 24, 2020

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 

3 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Anyone have their thoughts on the staff bags this weekend? Personally I love TM's... simple classic and to me very much represents the Open golf with its aesthetics and simplicity. Then there is Callaways, bright bold colorful and very unique but for me doesn't suite the event. I maybe should look at some more closeups, but to me it screams the loud pants golf company and looks a bit out of place. Again I need to look at close up and maybe there is a story there, but night and day stylistic choices and at least for me a clear winner in TM's

As a guy that doesn’t really like black.  Seeing some hints of Brown is a welcome sight.  I wish the brands would offer more monochromatic colors like brown and mustard yellow, I like the classic looks 100%.  It wouldn’t sell very well, but I’d buy it.

TM wins for me.  Surprised that PING isn’t jumping on the bag-wagon.  They could make some cool stuff.

• Like 2