Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

On The Range - Where Your Swing Begins and Ends

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Only downside is now you are potentially getting different spin, height, carry, etc from what you practice with compared to what you play with. 

True...  I would only be working on managing the bounce on each of the wedges and ball first contact when doing my wedge range work.  For the shotmaking practice (dialing in distances, hitting into an actual practice green, trajectory control, pitching and chipping... spin on all of the above... ), I agree... would definitely need to use the gamers and my gamer balls as well. 

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

2 hours ago, Golfspy_Lukes said:

Well of he's hitting range balls I'm sure he's mostly worried about good swings, contact and general shot performance than precise carry distance or launch windows

I know that's how I practice when I'm at my local range, hitting off mats, with range balls

https://mygolfspy.com/7-reasons-why-range-balls-shouldnt-be-a-part-of-your-next-fitting/

Yup!  what GSL said. 🙂 

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

2 hours ago, Golfspy_Lukes said:

1) Pretending to play courses I am familiar with.  Driver off the tee, then a sand wedge.  Then a 4 iron off #2.  Driver 9iron on 3.   Keeps me thinking about playing golf any nothing worrying about mechanics. 

I love this concept. I’ll definitely give it a try this year! Should help use more clubs and get in the course mindset rather than just hitting balls.  I definitely only use PW, 8, 6, 5W & D. The other clubs don’t see much range times at all. 

No ranges near my house have data so I just watch the ball go and have a starting point and a general distance I’m hitting to. 

This year I’m going to focus on videoing my swing and taking time to review hitting my positions. Last spring I got stuck in a rut of just hitting 50 balls as fast as I could and I think it actually hurt my game. 

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter:  Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png AL-6 armlock | Unofficial review here

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

2 hours ago, jbern said:

I love this concept. I’ll definitely give it a try this year! Should help use more clubs and get in the course mindset rather than just hitting balls.  I definitely only use PW, 8, 6, 5W & D. The other clubs don’t see much range times at all. 

No ranges near my house have data so I just watch the ball go and have a starting point and a general distance I’m hitting to. 

This year I’m going to focus on videoing my swing and taking time to review hitting my positions. Last spring I got stuck in a rut of just hitting 50 balls as fast as I could and I think it actually hurt my game. 

That's awesome man. Can't get better without a plan!

6 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Only downside is now you are potentially getting different spin, height, carry, etc from what you practice with compared to what you play with. 

With the range balls that have been around near me the last year I might as well have taken a shovel out and practiced with that!  If the balls are crappy I basically only judge starting line and general shape.  I’ve had balls start with a draw and end with a fade at the end of last year at the range.

two of the ranges near me were saying they couldn’t get new balls. I don’t know if it was true or they were just trying to milk out one more year of covid business practices. 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

On 2/18/2023 at 11:18 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

I use the range for testing different thoughts and theories I have, to try and build consistency in routine and to figure out clubs as well. I don't go deep into the exact results as range balls are after all range balls, however focus on strike, contact and more are really important. Even little things like launch windows and heights are noted... again remembering range balls are just that. Range balls. 

Good quote APH, about remembering "range balls are just that, Range Balls"

I love the range time and use the range to maintain a feel and work on my swing - alignment (including spine angle), ball position, tempo & any swing modifications.  My preference is video taping swing, it provides really good feedback. 

Weird club selection habit at range: start with 9i, then 7i, 5i, Hybrid, Driver, 3w, 5w, 6i, 8i PW, Gap, SW finish with LW.  Hit a minimum of 3 balls with each club. with the 3w & 5w, I'll hit 3 balls off a tee - prefer grass tee btw - checking contact and ball flight, I will hit 3 balls off the deck with 3w & 5w. 3w off the deck is the weakest part of my game & working on improving.  While I do prefer grass tees, while making swing change these past few months, I preferred using mats at the beginning & using alignment sticks being in the same place for each iron shot. One stick for direction & the other for takeaway path.

I prefer the old school open air ranges. as GS APH points out, you're hitting range balls. Distance a range ball travels is certainly much less, especially if you're hitting balls at aquarange.  However, you do feel a solid contact strike and can see where the ball is making contact with iron or wood. 

Absolutely will hit for targets, using the tree lines in the distance, then focusing on a tree branch or chute at the top of the tree line for a target. It's the same method I would use while playing.  Pick out a real small target in the distance and aligning to it and try to hit that spot. Golf 54, Annika's instructors, did state it right, Practice with a purpose, which is also what GS_APH stated in his post. 

Range is fun whether it's spending a couple of hours just hitting balls or before a round! 

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

14 hours ago, GolfSpy_BOS said:

With the range balls that have been around near me the last year I might as well have taken a shovel out and practiced with that!  If the balls are crappy I basically only judge starting line and general shape.  I’ve had balls start with a draw and end with a fade at the end of last year at the range.

two of the ranges near me were saying they couldn’t get new balls. I don’t know if it was true or they were just trying to milk out one more year of covid business practices. 

OK, it's time to rerun this for the new members...

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I thoroughly enjoy hitting balls whether it is on the range or somewhere inside.  When I have an opportunity to go to the range, I usually get a large bucket of balls and plan on spending an hour practicing.  I hit 5 balls with each club starting with the 7 iron and working my way up to driver then go back to the 8 through LW.  I try to rest a bit after 3 clubs or 15 balls and consume some water.  I usually only go to the range on days that I am not playing and I definitely prefer grass tees, but sometimes the mats are mandatory.   For the 5 balls that I hit with each club, I try to hit 3 straight, 1 fade, and 1 draw.  In the short irons I also practice 3/4 swings.  The main thing I focus on is trying make each shot a quality strike; on line with my target.  If I have any balls remaining, I will go back to clubs that I didn't strike well.  

Edited by David Leighton Reid

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG Gen 3 0311XF 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 58°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter

On 2/23/2023 at 1:21 PM, Kenny B said:

On 2/23/2023 at 1:21 PM, Kenny B said:

K, it's time to rerun this for the new members.

OMG I never saw that before.  That was great.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

On 2/23/2023 at 5:48 PM, MacTourney said:

One of the best videos, an experience for a day, or a lifetime.

Very cool! Read "Extraordinary Golf" a few years ago .. should revisit it ...

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

OK so I do enjoy going to the range - did when I first started out, then interestingly did not for a few years, but now am into it.

Enjoy developing my skill in hitting golf balls, plus as I'm doing that I feel it's helping build confidence for playing the game of golf on the course.

I'm lucky to belong to a nice club, only about 20 mins away, with an open outdoor range. I've been taking lessons elsewhere .. indoors .. and even after 2+years still am not fully comfortable hitting indoors.

My range is mats with well-worn old "Rangé" 😝 balls .. limited flight .. that have gone thru several hot/cold cycles - so I'm not looking at hitting to specific distances but rather working on two main things...

1. Movements

Could call this Block practice, I guess, but here I'm working on movement patterns .. not positions (tho it could be argued they're related) .. from my lessons. Example: get the weight shift moving forward, and try to do it by the start of the downswing. Or: at impact get the arms extended more. Etc.

I'll put down one alignment stick, sometimes straight ahead in front of the ball or sometimes in front of my feet parallel to "straight ahead" - and gauge by the ball flight if I moved into and through impact .. nearly 😉 .. correctly.

Sometimes I add a second alignment stick perpendicular to the first inline with the ball, to check where my body and weight are after follow-through. Otherwise I don't bring any other training aids to the range (do have others I'll use at home).

While doing this I'll keep changing clubs after every 3-4 balls .. and always trying to practice the same movement pattern and keep a similar tempo with each club.

2. Targets

Could call this variable or differential practice where I'll hit 3, maybe 4, balls with the same club to the same target...

While still being conscious of doing the proper movements to swing the club I'm trying to be more externally focused on what should the impact sound & feel like, plus what should the resulting ball flight look like, to get the ball to go somewhere into decent proximity to that target.

I spend a lot of time with wedges working on distance control and on different trajectories; switch between different wedges to same target vs same wedge to different targets.

Oh.. note on wedge distances: don't know what they are exactly, again it's mats and range balls so I'm picking out a spot by eye and trying to land the ball there.

I'll also take a longer club and try to hit it to a shorter target - eg 7i to about 90 yds - and recently started trying to add in working on trajectory with this; eg. higher "full" shot vs lower punch type shot.

During the season when the putting green is open I'll start and end there. My putting practice outdoors is almost all about distance control, second thing is green reading. I have a putting mat in the basement at home to work on mechanics.

One funny thing I've seen at my range... A young boy was taking a lesson from one of the pros; the mother was sitting directly behind them and spent most of the lesson time talking to the instructor!!???!!

And here's a "golf story" from my first season on a practice range...  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/56069-tell-us-your-best-golf-story/?do=findComment&comment=897982

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

28 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Example: get the weight pressure shift moving forward, and try to do it by before the start of the downswing. Or: at impact get the arms extended more. Etc.

Don't let Monte hear you say that!! 😆 FIFY...  Better check his new Power Shift video.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

55 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Don't let Monte hear you say that!! 😆 FIFY...  Better check his new Power Shift video.

Ah-hah. Thank you, Coach Kenny!! 👍

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

• 1 month later...

I was never a range rat...until I moved to AZ (Sun City Grand)... and decided on lessons... and as a homeowner get discounted range balls... and have three great range facilities that I can drive the golf cart to 😜.  Pre round warm-up's (which I almost never did before) typically starts with a 30 ball bucket and my 6i or 7i, then my PW, then to driver.

Range day (practice what my lessons teach) pretty much starts the same way but with a large 90 ball bucket - half of which is with the 5i,  6i or 7i.  I'll then again move to a 9i or PW, and then onto driver.

I see many folks bringing their entire quiver out and putting almost every arrow through its paces.  Maybe that's the best approach? I prefer just working swing mechanics with a couple of irons choices, then move to driver and then, sometimes, fairway frustrations on a stick 🤣.

In all cases, I definitely aim for the target flags/mini greens (love having these) and try and pay attention to distance and target line consistency.  Aiming out to the right of target is hard to get used to... when working to move from an OTT tendency to a straighter ball flight.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

10 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I see many folks bringing their entire quiver out and putting almost every arrow through its paces.  Maybe that's the best approach? I prefer just working swing mechanics with a couple of irons choices, then move to driver and then, sometimes, fairway frustrations on a stick 🤣.

Fwiw my approach is more like yours .. using just a few clubs of different types .. working on drills and going at different targets.

Although... I always start with a wedge (54 or PW) and less than full swings until I think I have the feel of whatever it is I'm focusing on that day (eg weight shift / pressure transfer) - then I'll start moving on to longer clubs...

..but always mixing up shots and targets and changing between shorter and longer clubs every few shots.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

2 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Fwiw my approach is more like yours .. using just a few clubs of different types .. working on drills and going at different targets.

Although... I always start with a wedge (54 or PW) and less than full swings until I think I have the feel of whatever it is I'm focusing on that day (eg weight shift / pressure transfer) - then I'll start moving on to longer clubs...

..but always mixing up shots and targets and changing between shorter and longer clubs every few shots.

Starting with shorter clubs seems more popular for most folks.  Not sure how I got into the habit of grabbing the 6i or 7i to start. Maybe it's carry over from the club fitting baseline?

On 3/29/2023 at 10:05 AM, fixyurdivot said:

Starting with shorter clubs seems more popular for most folks.  Not sure how I got into the habit of grabbing the 6i or 7i to start. Maybe it's carry over from the club fitting baseline?

For me, again not for everyone, but I find starting with a wedge much easier to get loosened up and to get my feel for my golf swing .. .. and then get to work on translating the same feel into the longer clubs...

Also important, imo, to distinguish practice (eg working on drills) vs warming up/loosening up to go play (tho I'd still start with the short clubs .. just abbreviated range time plus plenty of putting time).

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Starting with wedge in warm up to play, or practice, hopefully instills confidence with a club we know we should get close anyway as it demands precision.     But, if I've been playing and practicing a lot where it doesn't take much to loosen the wheels taking a long iron out, instead of wedge, and having at it first seems a good way to narrow in on low point with a nice shallow strike- it's very demanding just in a little different way than a wedge is, and muscles get warmed up quickly. 

Good hand action comes from good body action.     

:macgregor-small:  :benhogan-small: :cobra-small:

When getting ready for a round, I take my orange whip and 3 clubs to the range. My 58*, 7I and the club that I'm PROBABLY gonna hit for my 2nd shot on the first hole. After warming up with the whip and smoothing out my swing, I get my alignment/accuracy figured out with the wedge, I use the 7 to continue on the accuracy and also to set my iron distances for the day(kinda). After that I hit the last club and when I flush it (whether its the first or 10th ball) I stop and move to the short game area/putting green. I never hit my driver in a warm up. 

ALL :callaway-small:

Paradym 10.5*(11.5*) (Hzrdus Gen 4 Silver 60/KBS TD)

Apex UW 17* (Tensei AV Blue 75)

Apex Pro 21 Hybrid 20*/23* (KBS Hybrid)

Paradym 6-PW (Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 105X)

Jaws Raw Face Chrome 48* (Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 105X)

Jaws Raw Chrome Full Toe 54*/ 58* (Nippon Pro Modus 115 Wedge)

Jaws Full Toe Black Wedge 64* (DG Tour Issue Spinner 115)

WHOG #5

Chrome Soft X 

On 3/28/2023 at 6:37 PM, fixyurdivot said:

I was never a range rat...until I moved to AZ (Sun City Grand)... and decided on lessons... and as a homeowner get discounted range balls... and have three great range facilities that I can drive the golf cart to 😜.  Pre round warm-up's (which I almost never did before) typically starts with a 30 ball bucket and my 6i or 7i, then my PW, then to driver.

Range day (practice what my lessons teach) pretty much starts the same way but with a large 90 ball bucket - half of which is with the 5i,  6i or 7i.  I'll then again move to a 9i or PW, and then onto driver.

In all cases, I definitely aim for the target flags/mini greens (love having these) and try and pay attention to distance and target line consistency.  Aiming out to the right of target is hard to get used to... when working to move from an OTT tendency to a straighter ball flight.

Before a round I should start with my driver... maybe I will on Saturday.  I take my biggest, longest swing with it and seems to loosen me up.  I have been starting with a 7-8i.  If my swing is on, I'm fine with all clubs; if it's not, I go directly to the driver.  After 8-10 drivers the 7-8i are working good,  I finish in the pitching area with feel 20-30y pitches using different ball flights, the head to the putting green.  All this usually takes 30 minutes, then off to the first tee.

10 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Before a round I should start with my driver... maybe I will on Saturday.  I take my biggest, longest swing with it and seems to loosen me up.  I have been starting with a 7-8i.  If my swing is on, I'm fine with all clubs; if it's not, I go directly to the driver.  After 8-10 drivers the 7-8i are working good,  I finish in the pitching area with feel 20-30y pitches using different ball flights, the head to the putting green.  All this usually takes 30 minutes, then off to the first tee.

You forgot about the orange whippy thing 😉.  I keep meaning to buy one but get started looking and never do. I see a lot of folks here using them and suspect there to be a direct correlation with their popularity and age. 

On 3/31/2023 at 9:59 AM, fixyurdivot said:

You forgot about the orange whippy thing 😉.  I keep meaning to buy one but get started looking and never do. I see a lot of folks here using them and suspect there to be a direct correlation with their popularity and age. 

You know... an OW does seem to appear in the bag of more older guys... And I have FOUR of them 🤣 (you're welcome Jim Haack) 

Don't take any of them to the range, though, they get used at home.

But truthfully I find the OW a really useful warm-up / loosen up tool plus a great swing training aid!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

I prefer old school grass ranges. Nothing fancy, and no need even for yardage markers (yes I’m real old school). As far as prepping on the range. I’m following Mr Martin Chuck’s teaching of proper face impact and hands forward. So the beginning of the bucket is 1/2 shot 8 irons just replicated his feels he taught me. Once I have a good feel for that it’s on to full mid irons. Then hybrids and driver.. ending up with full shirt irons to wedges. I’m more concerned about hitting the center of the face of the club than a particular ball flight. I’ve always felt good shots will start flying towards the flag once I can somewhat get that ball to contact that middle of the face. 

• 2 months later...

USE A GRASS RANGE! .......... they said
Take straight divots! ....... they said
Hit between the ropes! ...... they mandate
Are the yellow range balls better? 

I think this might be the last time I use this range. It's an insult to grass to call this a 'grass' range. 
Bad enough to have flight restricted balls, but to have them also chewed up by a mower and keep them in the rotation? c'mon... 11.00 for 60 balls. ridiculous.

image.png.81fe27cd526e05f50a073baae1216f7b.pngimage.png.12c31e6b82d370b8e8206e6cc81971e5.png

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

34 minutes ago, StrokerAce said:

Bad enough to have flight restricted balls, but to have them also chewed up by a mower and keep them in the rotation? c'mon... 11.00 for 60 balls. ridiculous.

From an owners perspective perhaps, if it's the only range around town why would the owner change out a few damaged balls when more than likely the damaged ball will be hit anyway, picked up at the end of the day, maybe washed, and placed back into another bucket and rented the next day to another golfer, maybe even the same person, for another day at the range- rinse and repeat 7 days per week.    As for price, someone has to pay the rent, might as well be the customer.😁   But it is nice to have good rental products for the customers...no doubt.

Good hand action comes from good body action.     

:macgregor-small:  :benhogan-small: :cobra-small:

11 minutes ago, MacTourney said:

From an owners perspective perhaps, if it's the only range around town why would the owner change out a few damaged balls when more than likely the damaged ball will be hit anyway, picked up at the end of the day, maybe washed, and placed back into another bucket and rented the next day to another golfer, maybe even the same person, for another day at the range- rinse and repeat 7 days per week.    As for price, someone has to pay the rent, might as well be the customer.😁   But it is nice to have good rental products for the customers...no doubt.

You see that's the problem with golf now. Demand exceeds supply. Courses can jack up rates to unreal prices, disallow walking or push carts, have inferior products, etc. Screw the consumer, they'll be back. I can't wait until all these 'new' golfers quit playing and courses are left holding the bag.

Also: there's another range equidistant with better balls...

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

• 1 month later...
On 2/19/2023 at 2:45 AM, GolfSpy TCB said:

@GolfSpy_BOS, @GolfSpy_APHWhat is YOUR approach on the range?

My approach to the range is to avoid it like the plague.  Hitting one ball after the other destroys my game.  I learnt that the best way for me to practise is to practise like you play ... ie, on a golf course using only ONE ball.  Using that method, my handicap dropped from 11 to 5 in less than six months.  

6 minutes ago, Buzzard3 said:

My approach to the range is to avoid it like the plague.  Hitting one ball after the other destroys my game.  I learnt that the best way for me to practise is to practise like you play ... ie, on a golf course using only ONE ball.  Using that method, my handicap dropped from 11 to 5 in less than six months.  

Hitting one ball after another really isn’t practice and I can see why it would destroy your game.   While there are benefits to actual course play, well planned out range time can also be beneficial.  The best players in the world spend time on the range so it isn’t a universal avoid like the plague type thing.   That’s said, what you are doing works for you.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

28 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Hitting one ball after another really isn’t practice and I can see why it would destroy your game.   While there are benefits to actual course play, well planned out range time can also be beneficial.  The best players in the world spend time on the range so it isn’t a universal avoid like the plague type thing.   That’s said, what you are doing works for you.   

If I hit a second ball shortly after hitting the first ball, my second swing is different to my first swing ... the second ball flies lower and further to the left than the first ball.  If I keep hitting balls in quick succession, my swing changes even further and the ball flies increasingly lower and further left.  By the time I've hit, say, twenty balls, my swing is way different to my first swing, as reflected in the low-left ball-flight. 

The only "true" swing was the first swing, so hitting lots of balls on the range is worse than a waste of time for me.  

By practising with just one ball on a golf course, every swing is a "true" swing.