What Have You Bought Lately? (CHA - Club Ho's Anonymous)

hckymeyer

6 minutes ago, Grand Stranded said:

So I have to tip my cap to the folks at PGASS and (believe it or nor) FedEx. The order I placed Wednesday afternoon in my local store was shipped and delivered from Orlando to my door by this afternoon. That’s outstanding!

I couldn’t resist taking the SmartSole chipper out to the green by my house, and I was really surprised by it. I was using it from 30 yards out all the way up to the edge of the green and it was incredibly accurate directionally. I thought my distance control wasn’t too good at first, but my neighbor was watching me and he was really impressed. So, as usual, I’m my harshest critic.
The course was still being played though, so I wasn’t out there very long, maybe 30-40 balls? I wasn’t planning on putting it in play tomorrow, but now I’m going to go back out there in an hour or so and not only use the C again, but try to get an idea of how the 56* CBX2 plays both out of the sand and gapping wise after my DW. If there aren’t any major issues, it will be show time for both of them come morning!

@ole gray where has Cleveland Golf been all my life? 😂😂😂😂😂

All you guys are getting me very intimate the Chipper!

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr   
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

10 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Gotta watch spellcheck, “interesting”!

• Haha 4

Rick

Left Hand, 

1 minute ago, Rickp said:

Hey Rick! How are you doing after the surgery?

Yeah, I’ve been frustrated for 2 years now with my short game. The joke with my playing buddies is I go from a single digit player to a +25 once I get inside 100 and put a wedge in my hands. 🙄 I turn more rounds that should be high 70 to low 80’s into high 80’s than anyone I know.

The final straw was in my Tuesday game. My drive was 30 yards further than anyone, and I only had 85 yards in. I skulled a 54* into a bunker in front of the green, hit my 58* over the back of it, and almost skulled my next one back into that bunker again. I two putted from just off for a 7. My 3 opponents had 4, 4, 5. 🙄

One of them is a 8 cap and he’s deadly with his chipper. He even uses it for 90 yard approach shots with a full swing… I don’t know if I’m ready to try that yet, but it dawned on me that a guy giving me 3 strokes was using a chipper, and here I was too proud to try one?

If I had to guess, I’d say it’s ideal for the guy who plays with less than 14 clubs. I’m going to be a little nervous with just a 56* wedge, but hey, if the 54&58 we’re doing their job, I wouldn’t be looking to change anything, right? 🤷‍♂️

• Like 5

Driver:        :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 10.5* 

Fairway:     :callaway-small: Rogue St Max D 16*

:ping-small: G425 Max 18.5* or :cleveland-small: Hy-wood 18*

Hybrid:        :cleveland-small: Launcher XL 21*

:callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 23*

Irons:           PXG Gen3 0311 XP 6-GW

Wedges:     :cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58* 

Putter:        :yes-small: Tracy 33.5”

:OnCore: Elixir Yellow 

:1590477705_SunMountain:  2.5+ 14 way Black 

7 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Gotta watch spellcheck, “interesting”!

Keep this between you and me buddy, but if mine can solve my short game woes, I’m prepared to do unspeakable things….

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Driver:        :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 10.5* 

Fairway:     :callaway-small: Rogue St Max D 16*

:ping-small: G425 Max 18.5* or :cleveland-small: Hy-wood 18*

Hybrid:        :cleveland-small: Launcher XL 21*

:callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 23*

Irons:           PXG Gen3 0311 XP 6-GW

Wedges:     :cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58* 

Putter:        :yes-small: Tracy 33.5”

:OnCore: Elixir Yellow 

:1590477705_SunMountain:  2.5+ 14 way Black 

3 minutes ago, Grand Stranded said:

Hey Rick! How are you doing after the surgery?

Yeah, I’ve been frustrated for 2 years now with my short game. The joke with my playing buddies is I go from a single digit player to a +25 once I get inside 100 and put a wedge in my hands. 🙄 I turn more rounds that should be high 70 to low 80’s into high 80’s than anyone I know.

The final straw was in my Tuesday game. My drive was 30 yards further than anyone, and I only had 85 yards in. I skulled a 54* into a bunker in front of the green, hit my 58* over the back of it, and almost skulled my next one back into that bunker again. I two putted from just off for a 7. My 3 opponents had 4, 4, 5. 🙄

One of them is a 8 cap and he’s deadly with his chipper. He even uses it for 90 yard approach shots with a full swing… I don’t know if I’m ready to try that yet, but it dawned on me that a guy giving me 3 strokes was using a chipper, and here I was too proud to try one?

If I had to guess, I’d say it’s ideal for the guy who plays with less than 14 clubs. I’m going to be a little nervous with just a 56* wedge, but hey, if the 54&58 we’re doing their job, I wouldn’t be looking to change anything, right? 🤷‍♂️

Knee is awesome.  Started chip & putt for 9 holes last week.  Should have done the surgery years ago but Covid got in the way. Doc said I can do everything as before except full swing, I can resume full swing in a few weeks. 
The chipper has my serious attention!  Follow you and @jlukes as summer goes on.

• Like 9

Rick

Left Hand, 

2 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

My chipping was legendary at my previous club.  One of my pards gave me the nickname "Master Chip" as a play on my Navy rank of Master Chief.  And, for the record, it was not for stellar chipping, but rather a sarcastic nick name due to my poor chipping.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

2 hours ago, Rickp said:

Knee is awesome.  Started chip & putt for 9 holes last week.  Should have done the surgery years ago but Covid got in the way. Doc said I can do everything as before except full swing, I can resume full swing in a few weeks. 
The chipper has my serious attention!  Follow you and @jlukes as summer goes on.

If you are like me at 75, you don't have a full swing anymore.  😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

15 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

Yes, those are the ones PXG’s been offering. The Fifty 5.0 is 59g, the 5.5 is 61g. Cleveland uses the exact same shafts in my Halos, but they use blue paint accents instead of green on the PXG shaft. I’m not sure what color Callaway has on theirs… I think orange?

I am waiting to see the new forged wedges they are building. I am sure I will see them. Lately we have had an emergence of PXG guys around my course LOL 4 guys on one team have went all PXG. One of my I guess permanant Shootout partners is borderline all PXG. He has the big staff bag and all. But he does putt with a Scotty and carries Vokey wedges for now. Among all of that crowd I am sure I will see one of the new PXG forged wedges. LOL I find the new commercial hilarious Bob forges wedges and the other guy forges checks------ the other guy is going to jail Bob is going to the golf course---- My vote so far for commercial of the year

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label --- PW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- SW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand

10 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

So I have to tip my cap to the folks at PGASS and (believe it or nor) FedEx. The order I placed Wednesday afternoon in my local store was shipped and delivered from Orlando to my door by this afternoon. That’s outstanding!

I couldn’t resist taking the SmartSole chipper out to the green by my house, and I was really surprised by it. I was using it from 30 yards out all the way up to the edge of the green and it was incredibly accurate directionally. I thought my distance control wasn’t too good at first, but my neighbor was watching me and he was really impressed. So, as usual, I’m my harshest critic.
The course was still being played though, so I wasn’t out there very long, maybe 30-40 balls? I wasn’t planning on putting it in play tomorrow, but now I’m going to go back out there in an hour or so and not only use the C again, but try to get an idea of how the 56* CBX2 plays both out of the sand and gapping wise after my DW. If there aren’t any major issues, it will be show time for both of them come morning!

@ole gray where has Cleveland Golf been all my life? 😂😂😂😂😂

Just as long as you do not go along hopping and singing the Zip Core wedge song.  One of my buds who is a retired Navy CWO is a hoot. I played a round with him last week and flew one in the hole from about 50 yards with my 1953 985 Armour wedge. He coined the phrase "what you need is a worn out Macgregor wedge" He added he would try that thing but he is a lefty and as he says he has enough trouble anyhow

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label --- PW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- SW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand

9 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

Keep this between you and me buddy, but if mine can solve my short game woes, I’m prepared to do unspeakable things….

Get over it does not matter one iota if it helps you and shaves strokes. Of course when the weather gets cooler you need to come down and hang with me a day or so. I think I can show you some stuff around the greens that will make you a heartbreaker and life taker. I am not going to stretch out on the putting though I have been awful there lately

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, CarlH said:

My chipping was legendary at my previous club.  One of my pards gave me the nickname "Master Chip" as a play on my Navy rank of Master Chief.  And, for the record, it was not for stellar chipping, but rather a sarcastic nick name due to my poor chipping.

I know enlisted personell do not salute each other but you get my best Navy salute because you Chiefs get all my due respect because you earned it. And everyone knows Chiefs are the backbone of the Navy and run in spite of the SNAFUS created by the Officer corps---- Thanks for your service to obtain the rank of Master Chief

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I joke around but it is true at 65 I have a 75 year old back and I have reduced myself to a Jon Rahm Tony Fineau half swing with a Trevino follow through---- But I am still playing pain free and I am straighter off the tee than I ever have been but no distance. I only hit my metal driver about 220 or so now certain places on my course I know the speed slot and when it is dry I can get like 235 with roll out. Persimmon I only hit about 195 or so. I had to revamp my game totally but learned to accept it

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

I know enlisted personell do not salute each other but you get my best Navy salute because you Chiefs get all my due respect because you earned it. And everyone knows Chiefs are the backbone of the Navy and run in spite of the SNAFUS created by the Officer corps---- Thanks for your service to obtain the rank of Master Chief

Well thank you.

• Like 2

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

9 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Well ya true, but Doc didn’t know that!

• Haha 4

Rick

Left Hand, 

My current clubs are 2017. I’m planning to buy Titleist TSR driver, 3W, 3h, Mizuno JPX923 Forged or HMP 4-GW and T22 56 & 60 this Fall. Looking forward to rollouts/releases.

• Like 3
  • Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 TSR w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06 w MCC+4 Midsize
  • Evnroll ER5B Fit@TrueSpec w P2 Touch Tour
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

What have I bought lately?

Ordered the new Ping ChipR and have a virtual fitting Thursday for a custom PLD putter. 
That’s enough and all I can afford!

• Like 6

“Adventure Before Dementia “

PING G425 4-UW/SW Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex / ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5* / 3W 14*/ 5W 17.5* / 3hyb. 19* / 9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD Anser / 1968 Anser / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone RX - TreoSoft

31 minutes ago, Motoboss said:

What have I bought lately?

Ordered the new Ping ChipR and have a virtual fitting Thursday for a custom PLD putter. 
That’s enough and all I can afford!

The Ping ChipR is in high demand.

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

2 minutes ago, Rickp said:

The Ping ChipR is in high demand.

Yes it is! I’ve heard several stories of new stock not even making it to the sales floor before they’re gone. I believe it’s going to be a popular club and sales will be more than most expect.

• Like 1

“Adventure Before Dementia “

PING G425 4-UW/SW Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex / ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5* / 3W 14*/ 5W 17.5* / 3hyb. 19* / 9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD Anser / 1968 Anser / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone RX - TreoSoft

Just now, Motoboss said:

Yes it is! I’ve heard several stories of new stock not even making it to the sales floor before they’re gone. I believe it’s going to be a popular club and sales will be more than most expect.

I’m even looking at it!  I’m hoping to see one pop up at a Golf Store but LH may not happen.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Went into Club Champion for a putter fitting. I have a very distinct wear mark on the face of my Evnroll ER7.  Problem is that it’s a quarter of an inch right of center.  Put me on the SAM Lab and first we tried to bend the neck but it just didn’t want to go, or at least as much as we wanted. So… started looking at other Evnrolls in the V series with the interchangeable hosels. Only Club Champion - which prides itself on having so many head and shaft combinations - only had one on hand for testing/fitting - an ER11V. I just don’t like the look. So we know the shaft length, neck and toe hang, and loft… and am going to take a chance on the ER10V head. Going to match that up w a super stroke’s claw grip (didn’t know that existed or I’d have slid one on years ago.). Fingers crossed it won’t take too long to arrive. 

• Like 5

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

• GolfSpy_APH changed the title to What Have You Bought Lately? (CHA - Club Ho's Anonymous)