Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Let's be honest. Do you really "work" the Ball?

PlaidJacket

If you think about it, there's really only

For instance, I play mostly right to left. If a pin is tucked right, I'm not hitting a cut into that anyway. I'll play right to left away from the pin and into the meat of the green. Most shots where I have to play left to right are tee balls.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I hit the ball really well there's a slight draw. Most ball flight slight fade to straight.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I've been re-touching my swing all winter, day by day, slow motion video at a time. Can't hit any balls of course, but I'm expecting a high draw when I put it to use this spring. My go to shot has always been a fade, so I might have to adjust a little. Been working on freeing up my swing and a wider arc, slowing down my take away, I can feel a difference in it all. It seems quicker and more powerful with less effort.

Since I've been a member here I've read a lot of stuff. Good stuff mostly. However, I read lots of guys stating that they "work" the ball. I see this stated often when reading about equipment, balls, swings, etc. I have found in my lengthy career that there are really very few amateurs that can work the ball at will. By that I mean.... left, right, high, low, etc. I can't work the ball at will. I can however play a higher or lower shot. But my stock shot is a fade draw*. I can on occasion fade the ball low and out of a trouble situation but even that is a crap shoot it seems. I have no idea what the average handicap is for MGS members but I'd guess it's around a 15. My question is this....

When you're out playing a round and a hole requires a draw or a fade or even straight; do you intentionally play the shot shape? Can you really do that? Be honest.

EDIT: *I now draw the ball mostly. For the past year and 1/2 been talking lessons/coaching.

yes I can cut ball pretty easy - control a cut for most part - controlling draw harder - thats the challenge I can hit left to right and right to left but again its about controlling these shapes.

Bags

Absolutely not. My shot is a straight ball to fade. I can slice it banana style if need be, but any attempt to draw is either a straight pull left for the slightest of draws when I'm trying to move it all hard left. Now, if you consider trajectory control also working the ball, that changes my answer as I will vary shot trajectories when the situation calls for it, but not as much as I'd like. Basically most people who talk about working the ball are either being worked themselves or are aspiring pros who can do it. Stick with what got you to the dance man.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

"Work" the ball...

With driver, I find a line a little left and play a cut or at times slice.  Or I find a line a little right and try to draw it.  Usually its either a push (straight) or a hook.  So in those senses... sure I can work the ball.  

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

No.Infact the pro told me this year aim for the middle of all the greens and fairways.No matter where the pin or hazards are.If I miss slight left or right I should still be in play.Im just not talented enough to have a so called one way miss.

Keep it in the short stuff

I usually try to hit straight or slight fade with driver. At times, on occasion end up incidentally “working” ball on iron shots, thinking it's horrible, when upon inspection, shot is pin high on fringe.

WITB 2021
Driver: Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 9* w/ C.Kua Stiff

FW: Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 15* w/ C.Kua Stiff

HY: Cleveland Launcher Halo 19* w/ C.Kua Stiff 

Irons: Titleist 716 AP1 4-PW w/ KBS 90 Stiff

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50*, 54*, & 60^

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Laguna 2 OR OG Futura

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1/V1x OR Chrome Soft TT

Bag: Sun Mountain 2019 4.5 14way carry

Clothes: Nike OR Under Armour 

Hmmm.

Sometimes.

Only if I have no choice. Sometimes it works, sometimes, not so much...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

My preferred shot is a baby draw.  But, as many have said, "ya gotta dance with the one who brung you..." so sometimes that ends up being a straight or slight fade...   However, I can usually pull off (and practice on the range, as well) a low and mid high draw (hook), around trees or other obstacles as necessary.  So, yesterday, playing a decent round, I pulled a drive into the left woodline.   Left with a 170 yard shot downhill to a relatively small green, and blocked directly ahead by a tree and overhanging branches, I pulled a 7 iron, set a strong draw stance and hooded the clubface.  The resulting shot flew way out to the right side of the fairway, and gradually pulled back to the left, initially landing on the steep embankment on the right side of the green, bouncing once and rolling up to about 18 feet for a birdie look.

Unfortunately, I don't have the same shot going to the right (fade).  I have tried repeatedly on the range, and can occasionally get a 3 -5 yard movement to the right, but not enough to consistently count on it, and I find I am better off just punching out if I am in trouble and the recovery shot requires a fade of any considerable distance. 

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

Don't really try to work it anymore. It's more I've learned not to fight what I have that day....unless it's the snap hooks. Somedays it's a fade others a draw, just go with it and accept it. Though on most days I still draw my irons on command.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

These days, "working" the ball for me means playing the same one for all 18 holes.

For 20ish years, I played a rope hook. Then I got fitted, found out I needed clubs 2* flat, and it toned the hook down to a more manageable draw. When the pin is on the left and I hit the shot I'm expecting, I look like a super genius. If the pin is on the right, I'm a schmuck hoping to hit the middle of the green.

Big money has it right. Unless your greens are absolutely massive, aim at the center and putt to the edges.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Funny I was thinking about this thread yesterday. I'm starting to hit the ball better and found myself under a tree from 210. The only shot was a cut with a three wood. It was at best a 1/10 possibility. More likely outcomes were a double cross into the Hazzard left or a dead straight shot into the left green side bunker (death).

I selected the punch out, wedge out, 10 footer for par that caught the lip. The 5 didn't kill me as I birdied 7,8 to shoot 36 on the 9.

I can't work the ball.

More telling I was on the range with Brittany Lincicome recently and I asked her if she would hit a fade for me. She gave me her little smile and said, “Why would I ever want to do that?”

Good enough to put this one to bed for me!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I like to pretend I'm Seve. I know I'll never be a pro, or win a single event ever in my life. So when I'm faced with a back right/left pin, or just bored for that matter I definitely will try to move the ball. Why not? I'm not getting paid, I'm trying to have fun, and when I pull it off I get that sensation of wow! Especially when I am playing with a group which is seldom.

Example: playing with the boss, I hit a sky high 9 iron with about a 10 yard fade to get around a tree, it was only around 115 yards, but I had a 3” putt when it landed. He was impressed, and it was my best shot of the day.

I play for the good shots.

Funny I was thinking about this thread yesterday. I'm starting to hit the ball better and found myself under a tree from 210. The only shot was a cut with a three wood. It was at best a 1/10 possibility. More likely outcomes were a double cross into the Hazzard left or a dead straight shot into the left green side bunker (death).

I selected the punch out, wedge out, 10 footer for par that caught the lip. The 5 didn't kill me as I birdied 7,8 to shoot 36 on the 9.

I can't work the ball.

More telling I was on the range with Brittany Lincicome recently and I asked her if she would hit a fade for me. She gave me her little smile and said, “Why would I ever want to do that?”

Good enough to put this one to bed for me!

That's kind of my thought too, hit the shot that you have for that day. I will only hit a fade accidentally, or if I don't have any choice but to try. Behind a tree in the woods where it either fades or goes deeper in the woods. Tom Lehman if I remember never ever ever hit a fade, and I think he was a pretty good golfer. So working he ball is not necessary in my mind, can I do, yes, do I need to, no. I may have to attempt a fade 1 time in 18 holes. I don't want to, but occasionally I don't have any other choice. Sometimes if the risk is to great, I just take a drop. If a good outcome can be reasonably done I will go for it.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I work at keeping it in the fairway and out of the woods or water!

Does that count?

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Lehman preferred a draw but he could hit a fade. Perry won't ever hit a fade, ever. Watson rarely hit a fade.

On the other side of things Bruce Litzke never, ever hit a draw and there were several others. Trevino preferred a fade but could hit a draw if needed. Nicklaus always hit fades except that he would take his swing apart over the winter and come back hitting draws for the Masters. He'd then rework it to hit fade for the Opens.

If my goal is to shoot the lowest score then it's plenty hard enough to do it hitting the shot the my swing produces without messing around with other stuff.

If I'm pulling a Shankster and playing for fun and the joy of the great shot then I might take a different approach.

I intend to play competitive golf more frequently this season. I have limited time - I will shoot much lower scores investing the half hour that it would take to practice hitting fades that might not come off in competition on the putting green or in the trap instead.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

As an addendum to that last post I will add that the way my teacher has me hone my draw is to hit fades with my 7 iron and if I'm doing really well my 4 hybrid. He wants me to make a full slow motion swing. Generally they are low little left to right shots that start left of target and curve on. They go about 100 yards.

So even if I spend ten minutes hitting fades on the range those fades are for the sake of my hook.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Was at the range today and thought I would show some members how I work the ball.Would have them tell me what flight they wanted.One guy would yell “5 yard draw”.Got up and bam, five yard draw.Another would say”a low cut stinger”.Got up and bam,low screaming cut stinger.Did this for my duration of practice today.They all looked on with their jaw drop watching this.When done I just looked at them with my confident smirk.Some days you got it.Today I had it dialed in and was fun to show what my ability allows me to do

Must be your putting.  LOL

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Was at the range today and thought I would show some members how I work the ball.Would have them tell me what flight they wanted.One guy would yell “5 yard draw”.Got up and bam, five yard draw.Another would say”a low cut stinger”.Got up and bam,low screaming cut stinger.Did this for my duration of practice today.They all looked on with their jaw drop watching this.When done I just looked at them with my confident smirk.Some days you got it.Today I had it dialed in and was fun to show what my ability allows me to do

I did that too, they said 5 yard draw, I hit a 50 yard hook. They said low cut stinger I said FORE!!!!! To the guy in the front row who is standing too close because they think I can do these things. He said man that cut me and it stings. I said, you told me “low cut stinger”, I did not disappoint.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Took me forever to find and dredge up this old post. Surprisingly the last post was back in July 2017 by gaussman1. What got me to thinking about this again, this morning; was a couple of posts I'd read recently where a high handicapper (15-18) were describing about how they "work the ball" talking about hitting shots on demand and as called for presumably. I'm a fairly low HCP'r with a 4-5 most months and I can't work the ball that successfully. I just don't practice shot making often enough. So when it's required to ideally "work" the ball either right or left I'm kind of hoping for best luck. My natural shot shape is a draw. So for me when I have to hit a fade or slice around trouble I find it challenging to say the least. Sometimes I pull it off and many times it's failure. So, I cannot say I work the ball. Certainly not skillfully. So once again I'm asking if you are skilled enough at your level of profencey to "work" the ball on demand and with confidence. I'm talking about a pin cut on the right side and instead of hitting your stock draw you instead hit a high fade. Or visa versa.

I have not improved in this area since my prior post lol. I can hit the big curve, but can't start it in the middle of the green and move it a little bit one way or another. About the most reliable shot I can pull off is a knockdown that draws 5-10 yards in the air. That's a wide area and often the difference between knocking it stiff to a left flag or missing left to a left flag. Which one will it be? Who knows!

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I did that too, they said 5 yard draw, I hit a 50 yard hook. They said low cut stinger I said FORE!!!!! To the guy in the front row who is standing too close because they think I can do these things. He said man that cut me and it stings. I said, you told me “low cut stinger”, I did not disappoint.

I like this post a lot. Sounds like just another day for me

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Great stuff

Thanks for the chuckle.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

That just made me laugh out loud :lol: . Perfect!

ROFL

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

A PGA Pro I used to work with told me that I have 3 shots:  a draw, a hook, and fore on the left!

Seriously, if I hit a fade it's an accident.  I can however control the trajectory most of the time.  A right hand pin...I'm real happy to be in the middle of the green.  A dogleg right I might not hit driver just to stay in the fairway or in play.

Jim, the retired GC Super.

Draw, fade, low Stinger..... It's hook, slice and Duff. Let's get it right.

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

Archived