When to change irons?

Our Sponsors

Hacker I will defer one thing but will admit I may be the only one. I like old beat up rusty clubs. In fact those 2013 Callys in my bag look out of place but I still have the rusty old 588s and rusty Cameron so all is not lost. I just like rusty old clubs but I will admit I ain't normal anyhow. I am the MGS resident rusty club ho

Rusty clubs are great, as long as it makes you happy Big STU! Not advocating change for change's sake :) my backup bag in FL has all my favorite clubs I still use, like an FT-5 driver, Cleveland titanium 3W, TM wedges circa 2002, and Tommy Armour silver Scott irons.

MDGolfHacker

• Like 1

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :cobra-small: F8 9.5° Project X Even Flow Blue 65g shaft 

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 5W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 816H2 19°

Irons: :mizuno-small: MP-20 SEL Project X 5.5 shafts 5-PW

:mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB Project X 5.5 shaft 4 Iron

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Social Media:

Facebook:   md golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Currently Testing: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most people change irons when their game changes, the clubs wear out or they get a tax refund their wife doesn't know about.   M father is an interesting guy with a different philosophy...   My fa

Great suggestions -   I've been guilty of pulling the trigger on irons too quickly at times - I play my best golf when I find a set that is well fit and just stick to it.    If you're happy with w

When I feel the urge, is usually the right time for me. Ha   But seriously, some good suggestions from above. I will say I think all three of those are great options. I'd be happy with any of th

To me, irons are the bread and butter of my game so I am reluctant to change unless it is really needed (IE swing changes, equipment failure, poor fit).  I am aware the tech changes all the time, but advances in club tech over a few years aren't going to transform your game. Plus being that your irons are only a few years old I can't imagine you are going to see a lot of difference in something new unless your swing has changed drastically and/or they were fitted improperly. 

But that being said I am also notorious of getting the "itch" for new stuff so I completely get the attraction to something new.  I think if you follow through with your plan to take your 7 and compare it against some new ones you will find that you confidently can keep the 588's in your bag.  Then while you are at the shop maybe buy something else new to scratch the itch. :)

• Like 1

:mizuno-small: ST180 w/Tensei CK Series Blue 60 Stiff
:callaway-small: Epic Flash 3w w/Project X HZRDUS Smoke 70 Stiff
:callaway-small: Epic Flash 5w w/Project X HZRDUS Smoke 70 Stiff

:titelist-small: 818 h2 w/Tensei Pro Series White 90 Stiff
:srixon-small: z545 (5-PW) w/ KBS C taper 120

:cleveland-small: RTX-3 CB 50/54/58 degrees

:seemore-small: FGP Original

:taylormade-small: Project a

Most people change irons when their game changes, the clubs wear out or they get a tax refund their wife doesn't know about.

M father is an interesting guy with a different philosophy...

My father is a fantastic golfer (he went head to head with Tom Watson in the 1966 Missouri state HS championship and lost by a stroke, later attended U of Arizona on a golf scholarship) and he changes clubs once a decade whether he needs to or not (just kidding, if they didn't fall apart, he would keep using them)! He is currently gaming some Tour Edge exotics from the mid 2000s that have rusty shafts, rusty heads and no more than 80% of the grips clinging to life on any one club. The soles of his irons are so worn, they have changed their bounce characteristics. His woods are a collection normally found in the the used bin at a city's cheapest muni course and his putter is an off brand I have never heard of that appears to be a Odyssey 2 ball design knock off. His bag resembles some sort of hobo bindle. Now, he is a member at a very nice, private club and every time the caddy brings out his decrepit sack of clubs and makes a futile attempt at engaging the "stand" feature, I have to swallow my laughter. Now, despite all of this, at the ripe old age of 68, he without fail kicks my ass up and down the fairway.

I'm sure at least one shaft will disintegrate soon and that means a decade has nearly passed and new clubs are on the horizon. He will undoubtably spend a solid five minutes researching "cheapest possible golf clubs", make his purchase and proceed to whip my butt all over again.

P.S. Will post pic of bag soon.

Edit: PPS, just so people understand how worn his gear is, he plays 200 plus rounds per year.

• Like 5

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

Most people change irons when their game changes, the clubs wear out or they get a tax refund their wife doesn't know about.

My father is a fantastic golfer (he went head to head with Tom Watson in the 1966 Missouri state HS championship and lost by a stroke, later attended U of Arizona on a golf scholarship) and he changes clubs once a decade whether he needs to or not (just kidding, if they didn't fall apart, he would keep using them)! He is currently gaming some Tour Edge exotics from the mid 2000s that have rusty shafts, rusty heads and no more than 80% of the grips clinging to life on any one club. The soles of his irons are so worn, they have changed their bounce characteristics. His woods are a collection normally found in the the used bin at a city's cheapest muni course and his putter is an off brand I have never heard of that appears to be a Odyssey 2 ball design knock off. His bag resembles some sort of hobo bindle. Now, he is a member at a very nice, private club and every time the caddy brings out his decrepit sack of clubs and makes a futile attempt at engaging the "stand" feature, I have to swallow my laughter. Now, despite all of this, at the ripe old age of 68, he without fail kicks my ass up and down the fairway.

I'm sure at least one shaft will disintegrate soon and that means a decade has nearly passed and new clubs are on the horizon. He will undoubtably spend a solid five minutes researching "cheapest possible golf clubs", make his purchase and proceed to whip my butt all over again.

Edit: PPS, just so people understand how worn his gear is, he plays 200 plus rounds per year.

FYI 68 isn't that old - it's the new 50!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

One thing that I have noticed with irons is the lack of changes made in the "Players Irons" category. I would be unable to comment on game improvement irons but I have tried out many different models of CB's and MB's over the last 10 years.

I have come to the conclusion that different iron sets have different weighting and feel, as well as turf interaction. I have found very little difference in Launch Monitor numbers when comparing so called "Players Irons". I came to the conclusion that the look and feel are the most important factors for me so I don't change irons much. I get a 4 month golf season where I live and I usually play 3-4 times a week. I have found that after 5 seasons of play my irons start to show a lot of wear and it is time for a new set.

For me it comes down to the wear and tear of the iron, as I do not see a performance change in new iron tech. when using a launch monitor, however, the 716 AP2 & Apex Pro 16 give me a jump in ball speed and distance but I think this is dues to me playing MB/CB combinations for the last 10 years

My father is a fantastic golfer (he went head to head with Tom Watson in the 1966 Missouri state HS championship and lost by a stroke, later attended U of Arizona on a golf scholarship) and he changes clubs once a decade whether he needs to or not (just kidding, if they didn't fall apart, he would keep using them)! He is currently gaming some Tour Edge exotics from the mid 2000s that have rusty shafts, rusty heads and no more than 80% of the grips clinging to life on any one club. The soles of his irons are so worn, they have changed their bounce characteristics. His woods are a collection normally found in the the used bin at a city's cheapest muni course and his putter is an off brand I have never heard of that appears to be a Odyssey 2 ball design knock off. His bag resembles some sort of hobo bindle. Now, he is a member at a very nice, private club and every time the caddy brings out his decrepit sack of clubs and makes a futile attempt at engaging the "stand" feature, I have to swallow my laughter. Now, despite all of this, at the ripe old age of 68, he without fail kicks my ass up and down the fairway.

I, for one, am looking forward to seeing this.  Sounds like something my dad would do if he were a golfer.

• Like 1

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:ping-small: G410+, Tensei Orange
:nike-small: Vapor Fly 3, Diamana Blue, Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:titelist-small: -ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

I, for one, am looking forward to seeing this.  Sounds like something my dad would do if he were a golfer.

I tried to snap a pic yesterday but it didn't quite work. I'm golfing with him on Tuesday so look for an update then!

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

I've been playing the Cleveland 588 MT irons for about 3 years now. They still perform well for me and are one of the best irons I've played. That said, is it time to look for new irons with all the new tech and distance that is advertised with the BB OS, Cobra King OS, Z545 etc. Thanks for your comments.

Go to a reputable fitter and try a different shaft. You can get a heck of a shaft upgrade for the cost of new irons.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Whenever I think the new technology will help my game!  HA! 

I know it's the Indian & not the arrow but I like to think there is something out there that will make me better.

• Like 1

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     TSi2 9* Project X HZRDUS RDX Smoke C3 setting

Fairways   HZRDUS Smoke 13.5* & 19* C3 setting

Driving Iron:   U500 17* Fujikura Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   T300 4 & 5 iron, T200 6 - W Project X 6.0 1* up

Wedges   SM7 48*, 52*, 56*

Putter    Newport 2

Ball   2020 ProV1

Whenever I think the new technology will help my game! HA!

I know it's the Indian & not the arrow but I like to think there is something out there that will make me better.

I'm with you: totally in the Disney fairy tale mindset that the next better "magic wand" is sitting out just waiting for us to come and adopt it....... ;-)
  • Like 1

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*) and EXS 7W (both Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Super Hybrid 23 (PX Catalyst) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

Thanks everyone for your input. The members on MGS are knowledgeable and helpful. I'm going to try the F7 One Length in regular and forged and see what happens. I'm also looking at the Z565. I will get fitted if I decide they outperform my current irons enough to spend the money on new ones especially the Z565.  

• Like 2

Driver  - Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 10.5 * Miyazaki Kua 5 / R Flex

FW - Sub70 Pro 4 wood 16.5 * Project X HL / R Flex

Irons - Cleveland Launcher CBX 4-PW Miyazaki Kua 6 / R Flex

Wedges - Cleveland Launcher CBX 50* & 54* Rolex Wedge Flex

Putter - Cleveland Frontline Elevado 35 "

Ball - On Core Elixer

• 1 month later...

I have been playing TM Speedblades since they came out in 2014, they a perfectly adequate set of irons but I keep seeing new sexy looking irons come out and I get "new club fever"!

I have demo tested several sets and I'm seeing some noticeable improvements in distance and dispersion, so I've decided that this is the year to upgrade......now I've got to figure out which set is for me.

• Like 2

:cobra-small: King F7+ UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 6F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:cobra-small: King PuR Wedges 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 3.0 grip

Arccos Generation 1 Sensors on all clubs

Snell MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I have been playing TM Speedblades since they came out in 2014, they a perfectly adequate set of irons but I keep seeing new sexy looking irons come out and I get "new club fever"!

I have demo tested several sets and I'm seeing some noticeable improvements in distance and dispersion, so I've decided that this is the year to upgrade......now I've got to figure out which set is for me.

Lot's of hawt ones to choose from for sure! The Srixon irons are sharp looking and have good reviews. Personally I like The Cally Steelheads .

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 & 5 hybrid 
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 6 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree

Putters:
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Big Seven Arm Lock Putter
Odyssey Triple Track 2-Ball Putter
Odyssey Triple Track 10 Putter
Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 10.5C Putter

Utility club:  Square Strike Wedge 45 degree
aka pocket picker

Golf Clubs are like a car to me, although not as expensive.  When something new comes out, its so enticing and you think to yourself, "I gotta have that."   But if they are working well for you why change unless you find something you know will work better for you?

• Like 3

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:odyssey-small: Sabertooth

Golf Clubs are like a car to me, although not as expensive.  When something new comes out, its so enticing and you think to yourself, "I gotta have that."   But if they are working well for you why change unless you find something you know will work better for you?

The problem is the insecurity of not knowing whether or not they'll work better for you. You'll come up with every excuse from here to the moon until you finally buy them. At least - that's what I find is happening to me. Currently going back and forth with myself on the shafts in my irons.

• Like 1

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Motore X F3 5S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue 75S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50 Mid | 54 Full S-grind | 58 Low Relief Grind Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1, 34.5", BGT Stability Tour, 71* lie angle, Press II 3* Grip | :EVNROLL: ER5 BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

The problem is the insecurity of not knowing whether or not they'll work better for you. You'll come up with every excuse from here to the moon until you finally buy them. At least - that's what I find is happening to me. Currently going back and forth with myself on the shafts in my irons.

Went for an irons fitting recently - glad I did, has ended up being well worth it!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*) and EXS 7W (both Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Super Hybrid 23 (PX Catalyst) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

• 3 weeks later...

As of last year I was using the same irons that I had competed with in High School and College (early 2000's). I still hit them well, but needed some help in forgiveness. I went from Taylormade LCG to Rocketbladez Tour irons, and love the look and feel of the Rocketbladez. 

• Like 1
In my Callaway Hyperlight 5 bag

Driver:    :callaway-small:  Epic GBB 

Fairway Wood:    :callaway-small:  Epic GBB

Hybrid:   :cobra-small:  King F7 2 & 3 H

Irons:   Ben Hogan Ft. Worth 15 Mid (4-PW)

Wedges:   :callaway-small:  MD3 50/56

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne

Ball: Vice Pro + or :callaway-small: Chromesoft

Irons seem like have a hell of a long life span and really there doesnt seem to be a set time period in which you need to change. Like some before me have said just take yours to compare to some newer models at your local shop and if you see something that you think warrants a new purchase get fit and pull the trigger.

• Like 1

Ping g400 lst 10* w/Oban kiyoshi gold 65s

Titleist 915f 16.5* w/Aldia rogue max 75s

Cobra King UT 18* w/Kbs C-taper lite 110s

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) w/ Accra 95s proto

Titleist sm6 50*,54*,58* w/Dynamic gold s200

Evnroll Er2 35in w/superstroke flatso 1.0

If it is not broke, don't fix it...  I have changed irons from 20 year old technology (Hogan Apex Edge Pro- with the ever so slight cavity back) to Taylor Made Burner 2.0 because I was losing distance and direction on mis-hits (not enough time to practice ;-0).  After two seasons and getting my swing back to where it should be, I grabbed a set of Titlist AP2 714's so I could begin working the ball again- TM was difficult to hit anything but straight, and had very little feel compared to the Hogans or the Titlists-

That said, and I saw a conversation about working the ball and who does and who does not- I would say (sorry Yoda) I try, and get results most of the time- I am better with a draw than a cut, but when pressed, I manage.  Nobody is carrying my bag on the weekend but me, so I am not perfect- but then again, neither are the best players- it is all about managing your mistakes- and I would say if you make fewer mistakes with your current sticks, keep em.  If you beg, borrow steal or otherwise grab a set and like them better (offsetting the "new club" bump in performance) and you make fewer mistakes with them, then you have a winner.

my 2cents!

• Like 2

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

Thanks everyone for your input. The members on MGS are knowledgeable and helpful. I'm going to try the F7 One Length in regular and forged and see what happens. I'm also looking at the Z565. I will get fitted if I decide they outperform my current irons enough to spend the money on new ones especially the Z565.

Let's us know how the one-length thing works for you, it's definitely caught my attention

• Like 1

:cobra-small: King F7+ UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 6F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:cobra-small: King PuR Wedges 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 3.0 grip

Arccos Generation 1 Sensors on all clubs

Snell MTB

Twitter: @timldotson