Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

How Would This Set Screw You Up?

NiftyNiblick

Below is the "Nifty Set." 

This is the set of clubs that would have ideally suited my game when I was at my best. 

It never really existed this precisely,

but if I had a way of going 100% custom, this is how my set would look.

Just for fun, how would playing with the "Nifty Set" have screwed up your game?

I know it would, because I've never seen anybody else wish for a set like this.

The Nifty Set.png

It wouldn't at all because the loft that corresponds to a number on the bottom of the a club is inconsequential.

All that matters is that I have consistent yardage gaps.

Did you notice that there isn't a single 4º gap increment in the entire set?

Did you notice the wood/iron loft overlaps?

Did you notice the iron length increment moving from  ½" to ¾" at the top of the set?

It's not just about club number / loft correlation.

There's much more detail to it than that.

Did you notice that there isn't a single 4º gap increment in the entire set?

Did you notice the wood/iron loft overlaps?

Did you notice the iron length increment moving from ½" to ¾" at the top of the set?

It's not just about club number / loft correlation.

There's much more detail to it than that.

The length changes wouldn't be a big deal

And again who cares what the loft increments are so long as I have good gapping.

I'd rather play clubs with consistent yardage gaps than fixating on the lofts of the clubs.

In the real world world, equal loft gaps do not mean equal distance gaps.

So I'd have no problem gaming this set so long as they performed. If the loft gaps gave me awkward yardage gaps then it'd be an issue.

It's the ideal setup for me, jlukes.

I like having long irons and lofted woods at the same time. They're not the same shots. It gives me versatility.

And I'm willing to space my gaps out to have that. Chocking down a half-inch on a club is easy enough.

The top two irons are ¾" up in length rather than ½",  but also a whole rather than half degree flatter in lie to compensate.

3 and 6 designations are skipped, but the progression still remains without holes..

There are so many things that I prefer and that help my game.  More loft. Wider gaps.  Flatter lies.  Open faces.  Less bounce. Stamoings compatible with my head.

I've always really struggled to configure a bag, although I somehow manage.

If I owned a company, though, I could make it real easy.

My curiosity has always been whether or not any of my preferences were shared.

So few people go into so much detail in describing their club heads.  It's all about shafts and grips.

So few people go into so much detail in describing their club heads. It's all about shafts and grips.

For me it is about performance. Like was previously said, if that is the configuration that allows me to hit my yardage's then they are the right set. Non choked down on all clubs should have a 10-15 yard gapping. Choke down about an inch and I have hit my in between yardage's. I can vary height by moving the ball back and forward in my stance.

If those clubs work for you then they are the perfect set. Clubheads are important due to CoG location, weight, offset, and other factors.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Hey Nifty, what replaces the missing 6 iron? Is that the 7 Wood?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Are they blades? Yeah they'd screw me up.

Are they perimeter weighted, forgiving heads? Won't screw me up (after a few range sessions to figure out distances).

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I can "play" with anything....from butter knives to shovels.... playing well is a different story, but I think after a certain point you get used to whatever is you have - understand the ball flights, carry distances, etc and no set can really 'screw' you up.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Hey Nifty, what replaces the missing 6 iron? Is that the 7 Wood?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

No, Foz.

The whole point is that six clubs---2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9---covers the range that was normally covered by eight clubs--2, 3

, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9----twenty degrees to forty-five degrees (going back to the old 20º 2-iron and 45º 9-iron).    

That's done by using 5º increments instead of 4º and changing length and lie metrics a little bit as well.

Nothing replaces any particular iron.  All the numbers mean something different. 

You have to know how far you hit each iron from scratch, and in some cases, you may have to choke down.

What does it do? It leaves room for a putter, three wedges, and four woods as well as the six numbered irons.

You have a 20º iron to hit the stinger at a small patch of fairway on a scary driving hole, and a 20º wood to aim at greens.

You have a 7-wood, not for its particular loft, but so you can hit a long shot over trees or a long shot from light rough.

You have flexibility that fourteen clubs as offered today will not give you.

The rest was just about fit--flatter lies, less bounce, open faces--things that I like.

If you don't normally think in these terms, you wouldn't see the point right away.

This is all totally new.

No, Foz.

The whole point is that six clubs---2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9---covers the range that was normally covered by eight clubs--2, 3

, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9----twenty degrees to forty-five degrees (going back to the old 20º 2-iron and 45º 9-iron).

That's done by using 5º increments instead of 4º and changing length and lie metrics a little bit as well.

Nothing replaces any particular iron. All the numbers mean something different.

You have to know how far you hit each iron from scratch, and in some cases, you may have to choke down.

What does it do? It leaves room for a putter, three wedges, and four woods as well as the six numbered irons.

You have a 20º iron to hit the stinger at a small patch of fairway on a scary driving hole, and a 20º wood to aim at greens.

You have a 7-wood, not for its particular loft, but so you can hit a long shot over trees or a long shot from light rough.

You have flexibility that fourteen clubs as offered today will not give you.

The rest was just about fit--flatter lies, less bounce, open faces--things that I like.

If you don't normally think in these terms, you wouldn't see the point right away.

This is all totally new.

Why you always get so hung up on what number is on the bottom of the club just boggles my mind.

All that matters is yardage gaps.

All

That

Matters.

Why you always get so hung up on what number is on the bottom of the club just boggles my mind.

All that matters is yardage gaps.

All

That

Matters.

You're completely missing the point.

It has NOTHING to do with new lofts versus old lofts.

It's about six numbered irons covering the range of eight numbered irons so that there's still room for a putter, three wedges, and four woods.

I don't think that you're actually reading the posts.

You're fixating on the fact that I don't like the modern numbering system.  That's true, but it's not what this thread is about.

I'm so confused.

The title is How would this set screw you up?

Only way it seems that would happen is if you care about the arbitrary numbers on the bottom.

If you don't pay attention to that and know the ball flight characteristics then it wouldn't screw you up...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

I'm so confused.

Only way it seems that would happen is if you care about the arbitrary numbers on the bottom.

If you don't pay attention to that and know the ball flight characteristics then it wouldn't screw you up...

It's about adjusting to the five degree gaps. Six numbered irons covering the range of eight.

Having to choke down or let out the shaft.

But also having long iron and lofted woods at the same time for more shot choices.

Why is it so hard to understand?

Mayba a generation gap.

I'm so confused.

It's about adjusting to the five degree gaps. Six numbered irons covering the range of eight.

Having to choke down or let out the shaft.

But also having long iron and lofted woods at the same time for more shot choices.

Why is it so hard to understand?

Mayba a generation gap.

This is bizarre.

I'm outta here.

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

I "can" play anything but the lofts are way too far apart for me. It would leave too big of gaps for me. I certainly can't hit woods that are that high lofted. I have a steep swing so the woods wouldn't work. The putter is face balanced so that isn't right for me either. The lies are too flat. I like the length and bounce though. I am not sure about your fixation on the 5° loft gaps. If the gapping is proper with 3 and 4 degree gaps the loft is irrelevant. If I have a 2° gap and a 7° gap but they each go 15 yards from each other, it doesn't matter. If the gapping works the iron number and loft don't matter.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

One more time:

I want long irons and lofted woods at the SAME TIME.

That can't be done within fourteen clubs unless you widen the gaps of the numbered irons.

It might not work for everybody.

I KNOW that it works for me.

At least GB13 explains how it might screw him up.

I just don't understand why what I'm doing here isn't immediately evident.

Doesn't anybody have any new ideas anymore?

One more time:

I want long irons and lofted woods at the SAME TIME.

That can't be done within fourteen clubs unless you widen the gaps of the numbered irons.

It might not work for everybody.

I KNOW that it works for me.

At least GB13 explains how it might screw him up.

I am/was a huge fan of the Hogan any loft system. I thought that was a great idea. That way you can have YOUR perfect gapping. I like 4° for me because I don't want many woods. I currently go Driver, 3W, and then 2 iron.

Just out of curiosity, couldn't you get used Hogan's and then bend them?

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

We get what you are doing.  Until we could hit them and see what the gapping is we can't answer your original question.  Everyone is responding that it is about how far we hit each club.   In our opinion, until you actually put your set together you don't know how to build each club to accomplish your goal.  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I've got a set configured similarly to what I wrote about. 

The point was a matching set actually designed that way.

I've been trying to get back to the game after a serious back injury.

My thought was buying one last new set--call it a bucket list set if you like-- EXACTLY the way that I wanted it.

Henry-Griffitts woods, National Custom Works irons, and Mizuno wedges might have gotten it done.

But it looks like I'm done anyway.

Talking about it is probably all I've got left.

Go for it Nifty. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Look at Bryson... weirdo... but he gets the job done in good fashion.

And Dufner with his National Customs F,R,A,N,K,E,D irons.

They are all hand ground, and I'm sure custom lofts and such.

I'd be interested in seeing your set.

Sorry you won't get an opportunity to try the set of your dreams.  It would be interesting to see how the gapping works out.  

If my efforts to resume playing start getting more promising,

and if I do spend a chunk of my kids' inheritance on that special set,

then YOU GUYS will have to explain to me how to upload the pictures.

I have a flip phone.  i play LPs on a turntable.  I need f****** help with this millennial bull****.

But I'm sure that you'll help..

I have a flip phone. i play LPs on a turntable. I need f****** help with this millennial bull****.

I'll walk you through it. Get your back in shape, I am looking forward to it.

To start with, they're all too short. Next that I see, I'm not playing a 60* wedge.... Ever. After that, lie angles would need adjustment, in addition to lofts (putter at 3*??). Yeah, this wouldn't be good for me at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I have a flip phone. i play LPs on a turntable. I need f****** help with this millennial bull****.

This set would not work well for me but what does that matter? It's meant for you my friend. I hope you get to have it built, to use it and enjoy it.

Most golfers prefer even gapping, though not all, I was a member of a course once where gapping was only important at certain yardage's. I actually carried 2 clubs that went similar distances but in different ways because there were holes that required a similar yardage but different shots - so I carried two drivers one that I could hit off the deck and higher off a tee so that I could carry trees on two tee shots and reach a par 5 in two and a 7 wood and 4 iron - I needed the 4 iron off one tee and on occasion for a par 3 into the wind - the 7 wood was there for second shots on 2 longish par 4's.

These days the gapping is more important for me - but it lo is like you have designed your set because you want to be able to play certain shots.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

This would be no issue for me at all.  If I can shoot 67 with set of rental clubs on a track that I had never seen before then I am pretty sure I can play with just about anything.  

That set makeup was a Titleist 983 driver, Sonartec 3 wood, Ping Eye 2 irons 3 - PW with five different color codes, warrior wedges and a Ping putter.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

but it looks is like you have designed your set because you want to be able to play certain shots.

Exactly, Rev. 

Even scrapers try to play shots if they've been with the game long enough.

I'd rather have the clubs that I want and then choke down a half-inch when I'm in between clubs due to the wider gaps. 

This would be no issue for me at all. If I can shoot 67 with set of rental clubs on a track that I had never seen before then I am pretty sure I can play with just about anything.

That set makeup was a Titleist 983 driver, Sonartec 3 wood, Ping Eye 2 irons 3 - PW with five different color codes, warrior wedges and a Ping putter.

Now you did it - you're on the Warrior list - no answering your phone for two months!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived