Southeast: KY, TN, NC, SC, AL, GA, FL

GolfSpy MPR

3 hours ago, Bill Akins said:

Hi everyone! 

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

• I've only just begun. I've taken a few lessons, hit a couple dozen buckets of balls at a range, and I played 9 holes (very poorly).

• I'd say my handicap is currently somewhere between 31 and 500.

2. What do you love about golf?

• Golf is challenging, yet kinda fun. I'm either really excited when I finally hit that great shot, or contemplating dropping my clubs off at Goodwill on the way home. 

• I like being outdoors since my job is staring into monitors all day.  I love to take a break from writing code or whatever I'm doing that day and get some fresh air and exercise.

• Everyone I've met in golf related activities has been very friendly and helpful. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

• I don't remember how I found golfspy. I think product reviews search results.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?
    • Buford, GA.
    • I go to Sugar Hill Golf Club and Chicopee Woods
  5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?
    • The humidity here is ridiculous! The heat can be oppressive in the summer months, but you can also golf most of the year.
    • The bugs can be pretty bad at times. 
  6. What do you do for a living?

• I am the Virtualization Architect for a major university hospital system in the Atlanta area. 

7. How’d you pick your user name?

• I used the one my parents gave me!  😉

Welcome aboard and enjoy your golf journey! 

• Like 1

Testing: :EVNROLL: ER8v with Fujikura MC shaft (firm)

:callaway-small: Big Bertha (2014)

:callaway-small: X-20s 4-SW (missing 9 iron 😬)*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 (56 degrees)

:odyssey-small: White Hot #4

:taylormade-small: V Steel 3 & 5 woods

:nike-small: Miami Hurricane Stand Bag

:callaway-small: Supersoft

*Getting fitted in a month or so, will update weapons of choice then!

6 hours ago, Bill Akins said:

Hi everyone! 

• I've only just begun. I've taken a few lessons, hit a couple dozen buckets of balls at a range, and I played 9 holes (very poorly).

• Golf is challenging, yet kinda fun. I'm either really excited when I finally hit that great shot, or contemplating dropping my clubs off at Goodwill on the way home. 

• I like being outdoors since my job is staring into monitors all day.  I love to take a break from writing code or whatever I'm doing that day and get some fresh air and exercise.

• Everyone I've met in golf related activities has been very friendly and helpful. 

• Buford, GA.
    • The humidity here is ridiculous! The heat can be oppressive in the summer months, but you can also golf most of the year.

• I am the Virtualization Architect for a major university hospital system in the Atlanta area. 

Welcome aboard Bill, I'm guessing you are at Emory. 

• Like 1

Driver -  :callaway-small:  Mavrik with Reg. Flex UST Mamiya Helium Black 4 Graphite Shaft
Woods - :callaway-small:   Mavrik 3 Wood & Epic Flash  Heavenwood
Hybrid - :callaway-small:   Epic Flash 4H
Irons - :callaway-small:   Rogue X 5 - AW
Wedges -  :cleveland-small:  CBX2 54* & 58*
Putter -   :EVNROLL: ER2
Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE
Ball -  :taylormade-small: TP5-X  PIC

Bag -  2020 Bag Boy Chiller Cart Bag

Don't drop your clubs off at Goodwill until you buy some more.

• Like 1

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max - 9*, Graphite Design Tour AD DI6 Stiff
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Diamana 75 Limited Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  7 - PW T100S, 4 -6 T200 all with Nippon NS Pro 880 AMC Chrome Stiff
Wedges:  :titelist-small:Vokey SM 7 - 50*, 56*, 60*  Standard Wedge Shafts                                                                                                                                   

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5           
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1 X

17 hours ago, Bill Akins said:

Hi everyone! 

• Buford, GA.

Welcome aboard from Watkinsville, Ga !

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 & 5 hybrid 
Callaway Mavrik Max 6 hybrid
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 7 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Odyssey 
 ODYSSEY ARM-LOCK 2-BALL TEN 

On 6/5/2021 at 7:28 PM, DawgDaddy said:

Welcome aboard Bill, I'm guessing you are at Emory. 

Yup, for almost 25 years.  I think I'll stay.  🙂

• Like 1

Irons: default_cobra-small.jpg.8ee5cf81595828deb23f0706c0b1a6be.jpg Cobra BiO Cell Red

Fairway: default_cobra-small.jpg.8ee5cf81595828deb23f0706c0b1a6be.jpg Cobra 3/F Baffler Rail F 15.5°

Driver: Screenshot_20210724-084327_Chrome.jpg.919151963fa0c54f1e59d394fa4eaca9.jpg Wilson Profile XD 10.5°

Wedge: Logo_3_495x@2x.png.1cb4ac4ffcd92c128742286011982904.png Bombtech 60°

Putter: default_odyssey-small.jpg White Hot Stroke Lab OG #7

Ball: default_titelist-small.jpg.75c77327371865f66b6ee3f5622247cb.jpgTitleist Velocity Matte Orange

On 6/6/2021 at 6:26 AM, ole gray said:

Welcome aboard from Watkinsville, Ga !

Hey almost-neighbor!  My daughter is attending UGA and my cousin lives in Watkinsville.

• Like 2

Irons: default_cobra-small.jpg.8ee5cf81595828deb23f0706c0b1a6be.jpg Cobra BiO Cell Red

Fairway: default_cobra-small.jpg.8ee5cf81595828deb23f0706c0b1a6be.jpg Cobra 3/F Baffler Rail F 15.5°

Driver: Screenshot_20210724-084327_Chrome.jpg.919151963fa0c54f1e59d394fa4eaca9.jpg Wilson Profile XD 10.5°

Wedge: Logo_3_495x@2x.png.1cb4ac4ffcd92c128742286011982904.png Bombtech 60°

Putter: default_odyssey-small.jpg White Hot Stroke Lab OG #7

Ball: default_titelist-small.jpg.75c77327371865f66b6ee3f5622247cb.jpgTitleist Velocity Matte Orange

1 hour ago, Bill Akins said:

Hey almost-neighbor!  My daughter is attending UGA and my cousin lives in Watkinsville.

Cool!  You need to come play with sometime at Lane Creek.

• Like 1

Odyssey 

On 2/11/2019 at 5:25 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:
  • How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

• What do you love about golf?

• What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

• Where are you from? What is your home course?

• What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

• What do you do for a living?

• How’d you pick your user name?

Hi everyone. New member here.

1) Picked up golf when I was 18, played in college, stopped playing a couple of times along the way, but have been at it regularly for the last three years or so. Current handicap is probably around a 6 - I shoot 76-77 fairly regularly but have been struggling to get over that hump.

2) The challenge. Every shot is different. Your brain likes to get in the way. It's about learning to control your thoughts, emotions, and expectations.

3) Instagram. If I know another GolfSpy, I don't know it.

4) I like in Bradenton, Florida, which is in the Sarasota area. Currently practicing/playing out of Heritage Harbour.

5) Best thing in my region: you can play year-round and there are a lot of courses to choose from. It's super cheap to play in the summer. Worst: it can be crowded (especially in snowbird season) and a lot of the public courses aren't in very good shape.

6) Human Resources.

7) I live in the Tampa Bay area.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

New member, what's going on.

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

1. Close to 20 years now, handicap is 1.5.

1. The creativity and challenge. No round or shot is ever identical. The game can never be tamed.

1. Equipment reviews mostly, used to be a major equipment junkie, and now finding myself getting back to that point.

1. Upstate SC, Preserve at Verdae

1. No shortage of great courses, all with different variations. Mountain courses, links style, normal American, etc. Worst thing is a shortage of good public course options. Had numerous shut down for suburb developments, making the few we have absolutely stacked nearly every day.

6. What do you do for a living?

1. Outside Sales Engineer for a large industrial equipment and machinery company.

7. How’d you pick your user name?

1. Dont' know if I should answer this one truthfully.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Meaty Clackers said:

New member, what's going on.

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

1. Close to 20 years now, handicap is 1.5.

1. The creativity and challenge. No round or shot is ever identical. The game can never be tamed.

1. Equipment reviews mostly, used to be a major equipment junkie, and now finding myself getting back to that point.

1. Upstate SC, Preserve at Verdae

1. No shortage of great courses, all with different variations. Mountain courses, links style, normal American, etc. Worst thing is a shortage of good public course options. Had numerous shut down for suburb developments, making the few we have absolutely stacked nearly every day.

6. What do you do for a living?

1. Outside Sales Engineer for a large industrial equipment and machinery company.

7. How’d you pick your user name?

1. Dont' know if I should answer this one truthfully.

Awwwww come on newbie let's hear about the name 😉 jk  and welcome aboard !

• Like 1

Odyssey 

Hey y’all!  Just joined not long ago.  I recently went through surgery for colon cancer and now I want to start back playing and practicing more.  

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?  

• 20ish years.  Typically low to mid 80’s

What do you love about golf?

• That it gives me something to do outside of deer hunting season lol.  It’s challenging and I like practicing to try and get better

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

• Found it on google looking for reviews.  Maybe hope to meet other fellow golfers from my region to possibly play with 

Where are you from? What is your home course?

• North central AL

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

• Not really sure about the best things.  I guess cost of living. Worst is that courses are spread out.  I live about 30-45 min minimum from the nicer courses. 

What do you do for a living?

• Portrait Photographer, have my own business specializing in mostly high school seniors 

How’d you pick your user name?

•  It came from a movie.  Can’t even remember which now
Edited by Checkerfred
  • Like 2

:cameron-small: Studio Design 2.5 putter. :titelist-small: SM7 50.08F, 54.10S, 58.08M:callaway-small: Rogue Subzero 9* Driver Project X Hazardous Yellow 75
:callaway-small: Apex Pro 2019 Irons Dynamic Gold S400 
:taylormade-small: Sim Ti 3w 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 MSI 70 
:titelist-small: ProV1X
:titelist-small: Bag

On 6/28/2021 at 4:18 AM, Checkerfred said:

Hey y’all!  Just joined not long ago.  I recently went through surgery for colon cancer and now I want to start back playing and practicing more.  

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?  

• 20ish years.  Typically low to mid 80’s

What do you love about golf?

• That it gives me something to do outside of deer hunting season lol.  It’s challenging and I like practicing to try and get better

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

• Found it on google looking for reviews.  Maybe hope to meet other fellow golfers from my region to possibly play with 

Where are you from? What is your home course?

• North central AL

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

• Not really sure about the best things.  I guess cost of living. Worst is that courses are spread out.  I live about 30-45 min minimum from the nicer courses. 

What do you do for a living?

• Portrait Photographer, have my own business specializing in mostly high school seniors 

How’d you pick your user name?

•  It came from a movie.  Can’t even remember which now

Hello and welcome ;)

• Like 1

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I’ve been golfing since I was about 10, so about 30 years. I took  break after I was banged up in the military. Just started back about 9 years ago. Pre-injury I was a scratch guy, these days post TBI, I play about 12-15. 

2. What do you love about golf? It’s fun. After my accident it’s the only sport I can still some what play. Let’s you release have a good time, and relax. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I found myself reading all the reviews on here, and decided that I would join up basically. I don’t know anyone on here. 

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?Alabama, my course is Gunterslanding. If you are ever in the Huntsville area you should really try it out. It’s a fun challenging little track. 

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? The heat in mid summer is the worse. The best is we play golf year around, and honestly we are blessed with many great golf courses in my area. 

6. What do you do for a living? I was an instructor. 

7. How’d you pick your user name? Just one I use. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap? have been playing for about 13 years and my handicap is a 6.7. 

2. What do you love about golf? The thing I love most about golf is that no matter how much you practice you can always get better, so it provides you with a constant challenge.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I was told about MyGolfSpy from another spy and it really peaked my interest. I’ve always enjoyed learning more about different equipment and understanding the pros and cons of the equipment in your bag!

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I am from South Florida and my home course is Deer Creek Golf Club.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best thing is definitely being able to play golf year round. Worst thing os probably how hot it gets in the summer.

6. What do you do for a living? I’m a Project Manager for a small construction company. 
         Look forward to staying posted with the latest and greatest in the golf world and being involved in whatever way I can!   

• Like 4

1. How long have you been playing golf? I started in high school at 17.  So 25 years in love with the game. Current handicap is a 5.1.

2. What do you love about golf? I love the times playing alone so I can clear my mind and focus on a shot. Also the time between shots to let your mind wander and appreciate the beauty of the surroundings. I also outings with friends joking and having a good time. Finally those times you get paired up with a stranger with a common love and meeting new people.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I have used MyGolfSpy for several reviews in the past and never joined.  I recently looked a couple reviews and wanted to be a tester.  As far as I know I do not know any other Spies.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I am from NW Indiana originally and went to school at Purdue (great golf courses). Now I live in Georgetown, KY.  My home course is Kearney Hills Golf Links

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? I would say the best thing is the ability to play virtually year round.  Probably the worst is there aren't really good golf courses locally. Can't hold a candle to MN, IN, or MI where I have played the most.  

6. What do you do for a living? I am an Engineer. 

7. How’d you pick your user name? My initials BJ or BEEJ.

Edited by BEEJ
Clarity
  • Like 5

WITB

Driver Mizuno.jpg.556c6fb4339cb7af03a978bbfb557a08.jpg ST-200 Set to 9° Ventus Black 70g X-stiff

2 Iron Mizuno.jpg.556c6fb4339cb7af03a978bbfb557a08.jpg  HMB KBS Tour 120g S hard stepped

4-PW Mizuno.jpg.556c6fb4339cb7af03a978bbfb557a08.jpg  MP-20 KBS Tour 120g S hard stepped

Wedges Mizuno.jpg.556c6fb4339cb7af03a978bbfb557a08.jpg  T 20 50°, 53°, 56°, 60° KBS Tour 120g S hard stepped

Putter SC.jpg.14736f817c1495461be501fb995c16db.jpg   Newport 2.6

All clubs use arc2.jpg.194a7f796bf5f1991cde65dade3cd471.jpg

Welcome Beej.

• Like 2

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? 18 years, I currently play to a 6 after laying the clubs down for about 5 years.

2. What do you love about golf? I love all of it. It is constantly evolving and changing. My favorite thing to practice is the short game.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I don't have much going on right now, so was hoping to contribute via product tests/reviews. I don't know any other Spies.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Live in the panhandle, I don't currently have a home course because I bounce around quite a bit.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? The best is the range of courses available. The worst is easily pace of play of play and lack of quality clubfitters in the area.

6. What do you do for a living? Work remotely in the software field.

7. How’d you pick your user name? Just an old gamertag 🤣

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Yo,

New golf spy in the house.  Looking forward to all the golf junk info on this .com.

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? 25ish years, 6.9 HC Currently, 78-82

2. What do you love about golf? Competition- I enjoy competing with myself as much or more so than competing against others.  I am constantly striving to be better. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  Love the Labs and Most Wanted Lists.  Would like to become a tester since I like tinkering with my set ups.  I do not know of any other Spied

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Memphis, TN. Windyke currently....

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  The best thing is it is golf.  The worst thing is it gets rather hot during the summer.  

6. What do you do for a living? Mechanical Contractor 

7. How’d you pick your user name? Lack of creativity

• Like 3

Driver 9°= :taylormade-small: M3, Aldilia NV 2KXV Orange Stiff

4 Wood 16.5°= :Sub70: Pro Tour Fairway, UST Proforce v2 Black 6F4

Utility Club 19.5°= :Sub70: 699 Pro Utility Satin, Aldilia NVS 85 Hybrid Graphite

Irons, 4-PW= :taylormade-small: P790 Gen 1, Project X LZ 6.0

Gap 52°=:Sub70: 286 Forged Raw Wedge, Project X LZ 6.0

Sand 56°= :vokey-small: SM7

Lob 60°= :vokey-small: SM7

Putter= :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5

Ball= :titelist-small: Pro V1-X 

On 2/11/2019 at 5:25 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

Hey all! My name is Steve Miller...new member here! Looking forward to connecting and contributing on here.

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? PGA Teaching & Coaching Professional for the last 22 years, but have been playing for over 40 years. 

2. What do you love about golf? I love being able to meet and help so many golfers reach their goals and shoot scores they've only dreamed of.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Knew about the guys from MyGolfSpy when I was in working in VA before moving to FL. I love what they do to get good unbiased information out to the golf world.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?  Live in Orlando and have my coaching services at Grande Vista Golf Club, but I love playing many of the courses in the Central Florida area.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? The best things about FL golf are the options...the worst are how busy they can be during the winter months because of all the visitors to the area.

6. What do you do for a living? PGA Teaching & Coaching Professional

7. How’d you pick your user name? It's just me!

• Like 3

Steve Miller, PGA 

Titleist TSi3 - 9* HZRDS Smoke Black - X

Callaway XR16 Pro - Fujikura Speeder 667 - X

Titleist 816 H2 - 19* 

TM P790 (4-P) KBS C Taper 120

Sub 70 - 50, 55, 60 wedges