Josh Ross

Edison Forged Wedges

Our Sponsors

6 hours ago, Josh Ross said:

Well I hope you're wrong, haha. I have a decently high swing speed with driver at 105-110. I'm used to a smaller profile so we'll see how I feel about the thicker top line.

One of the things we discussed was the results of the independent testing. What some don't realize is that the data is not talking about well struck shots, but rather off-center hits. A lot of feedback I've seen out there immediately bashes the data because they think he's claiming a tour wedge only spins at 4886 rpms. But that's the spin on bad shots, and before I improved my wedge game I could definitely agree that off-center hits had little to no stopping power. My miss on wedges now is almost always the high on the face shot that comes up short so I'm hoping this alleviates that.

We also discussed my time as a tester with SCOR and talked about some of the awesome people I got to know with SCOR while I was writing for another forum. That transitioned into the comparison of SCOR to Edison and the V Sole. I mentioned the V Sole on my Cleveland wedges doesn't seem to be as versatile. He told me the V Sole is supposed to create two different bounce angles, but that the Cleveland V Sole has a negative bounce on one which is no bounce at all.

I know two things for sure. TK is very intelligent and I could talk golf with him all day. And he and Bill have me fired up about Edison!

Interesting!  Sounds like the same conversation I might be having.  

I thought I heard him say in the PGA Tour Radio interview with Katrek & McGinnis that this wedge was specifically designed for lower swing speed players, and that higher swing speed players might balloon them too much.  The testing was performed at 75 mph which is slightly more than that listed by MGS in the 2019 Most Wanted Wedge testing for a full swing.  I didn't understand how the tour wedges only spun at 4886 at that speed since the MGS testing showed 5500 for the 40 yard shot which was probably about a swing speed of 50.

I wasn't a tester for SCOR, but bought the wedges at about the same time, and I posted my experiences in that thread as well.  It took me awhile to get used to the V-sole, but when I did I liked it.  Now I'm used to the wide high bounce sole of the Callaways.

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

3 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Interesting!  Sounds like the same conversation I might be having.  

I thought I heard him say in the PGA Tour Radio interview with Katrek & McGinnis that this wedge was specifically designed for lower swing speed players, and that higher swing speed players might balloon them too much.  The testing was performed at 75 mph which is slightly more than that listed by MGS in the 2019 Most Wanted Wedge testing for a full swing.  I didn't understand how the tour wedges only spun at 4886 at that speed since the MGS testing showed 5500 for the 40 yard shot which was probably about a swing speed of 50.

I wasn't a tester for SCOR, but bought the wedges at about the same time, and I posted my experiences in that thread as well.  It took me awhile to get used to the V-sole, but when I did I liked it.  Now I'm used to the wide high bounce sole of the Callaways.

I recorded that interview, I need to go back and listen to it again tonight.

Yeah the spin number is what looks the craziest. I plan to take a few of my different tour style wedges from my testing days and get some data on the launch monitor for bad shots and see what I get. I'm no Iron Byron but I'm certainly gonna try to hit them bad.

Driver: :755178188_TourEdge: EXS 220 9.5° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 60 6.0
3 Wood: :cobra-small: SpeedZone 14.5° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 6.0
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 19° Fujikura Speeder Evolution HB Stiff
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 4-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Wedges: Edison Forged 49°, 53°, 57°
Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 34"
Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

Currently Testing: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

Yes please. I need details! I'm serious!

Literally my favorite comment I've seen, you've made my day. Hail Southern! You'll appreciate this custom alignment stick cover I had made.
20200522_155440.jpg.e6445bb6057b13d05c128b3c9efd279e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Driver: Taylormade M1
  • 4 wood:  Cobra X-Speed
  • 3 Hybrid: PXG 0317xf
  • 5 Hybrid: PXG 0317xf
  • Irons 6 - PW: PXG 0211
  • GW 49* SW 53* LW 57*: Yri Uri
  • Putter:  Big Oak Havana

Hail Southern and no place else!!  

My set showed up today! Taking them for a spin tomorrow, can't wait to break them in.

20200808_170621.jpg

• Like 4

I was on the phone for about an hour with Bill Totten of Edison Golf for almost an hour today talking about spin, grooves and weight distribution.  The more I hear about this wedge, the more I think I am the target audience.  He said that Terry Koehler read my email and wants to talk with me.  Me!  The wedge guy that I have been following for years wants to talk with Kenny B.  "I feel like break dancing."
Anyway, I have a 49º wedge coming with my specs and KBS Tour 90 regular flex.  Same shaft that's in my 54º and 60º Callaway PM Grind wedges.  I'm almost afraid that if I like it, I will end up with two more wedges.  However, the Callaways would be tough to kick out of my bag.

Yeah, Bill called me this week as well. I immediately recognized his soft voice as the guy I dealt with when ordering B3n Hogan Ptx Irons and Tk15 Wedges a few years back. Very nice person to deal with.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
Tour Edge Exotics EXS(11.5*)w/ Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue Regular; 3W & 5W Cobra King F8 w/ Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue Regular shafts; Tour Edge CBX119 22* Hybrid w/Project X Evenflo Regular shaft; Wilson Staff D-7 5-PW + GW + SW w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore LW(58*) w/DG Spinner shaft. Putter: Bellum Winmore 707; Bag: Cobra Ultralight Cart bag, Peaccoat Blue.
  • Like 4

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(48*) & SW(54*) Cobra King F8 LW(58*)all wedges have Recoil 460 regular shafts Putter: 33" Bellum-Winmore 707 putter Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

Well, the first trip out with the wedges was interesting. First off, I love the way these look. To me they're very aesthetically pleasing not only in the bag but behind the ball. I have the 49°, 53°, and 57° set. My RTX-3 wedges lacked the proper distance to maintain good gaps from my irons but that's no problem with the Edison.

What is a problem, and it's a good problem, is that these spin way more than anything I'm used to. I was left with a 40 yard pitch shot to a slightly elevated green. I'm left with this shot often on this hole and I always take a SW and nip a low one in there that hops once and trickles. The Edison hit and immediately spun back off the green. Unreal amount of spin for such a short shot for me. The extra spin trend continued throughout the round and is something I'm happy about but will definitely have to learn to use effectively.

Another thing I wanted to test was distance but also the forgiveness aspect of this wedge. The biggest claim for these is that the head design allows shots not quite in the center of the face to maintain a high efficiency. For me, my only real miss with a wedge is high on the face. I teed up a ball on the women's tees at a par 3 to give myself 129 yards according to my Bushnell. I hit my RTX-3 gap wedge flush and ended up front of the green but short of the flag. I then hit the Edison flush and hit 15 inches to the right of the hole with a lower trajectory and more insane spin. Distance gains, check. To test the forgiveness, I teed the ball higher than I normally would. The RTX-3 came up way short, probably 30 yards different from the good shot. The Edison still managed to get to the green though. I can feel when I catch one high and I immediately know I'm way short, so to see one still travel a long way was surprising. Forgiveness, check.

Of course that was only my first session with them, but it was very encouraging and I can't wait to get out with them again!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Josh Ross said:

Well, the first trip out with the wedges was interesting. First off, I love the way these look. To me they're very aesthetically pleasing not only in the bag but behind the ball. I have the 49°, 53°, and 57° set. My RTX-3 wedges lacked the proper distance to maintain good gaps from my irons but that's no problem with the Edison.

What is a problem, and it's a good problem, is that these spin way more than anything I'm used to. I was left with a 40 yard pitch shot to a slightly elevated green. I'm left with this shot often on this hole and I always take a SW and nip a low one in there that hops once and trickles. The Edison hit and immediately spun back off the green. Unreal amount of spin for such a short shot for me. The extra spin trend continued throughout the round and is something I'm happy about but will definitely have to learn to use effectively.

Another thing I wanted to test was distance but also the forgiveness aspect of this wedge. The biggest claim for these is that the head design allows shots not quite in the center of the face to maintain a high efficiency. For me, my only real miss with a wedge is high on the face. I teed up a ball on the women's tees at a par 3 to give myself 129 yards according to my Bushnell. I hit my RTX-3 gap wedge flush and ended up front of the green but short of the flag. I then hit the Edison flush and hit 15 inches to the right of the hole with a lower trajectory and more insane spin. Distance gains, check. To test the forgiveness, I teed the ball higher than I normally would. The RTX-3 came up way short, probably 30 yards different from the good shot. The Edison still managed to get to the green though. I can feel when I catch one high and I immediately know I'm way short, so to see one still travel a long way was surprising. Forgiveness, check.

Of course that was only my first session with them, but it was very encouraging and I can't wait to get out with them again!

So your first round out with them, worth the investment?

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with XStiff :Fuji: XLR8 Draw Setup

3W: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with Hazardous Yellow 6.5 UPRT

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting

4-AW: PXG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long

Wedges  54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up

Putter: :odyssey-small: Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab 

Ball: :Snell:or KSigs

1 hour ago, rbsiedsc said:

So your first round out with them, worth the investment?

Absolutely. I hated my RTX-3 wedges and had gone back to my SCOR even though the spin performance had declined a bit due to worn out faces. I've tested a lot of wedges over the years and always went back to my SCOR. I was close to pulling the trigger on T20 wedges because they feel great and had a lot of spin to them as well. If these had failed I would have done the money back guarantee where they buy you whatever wedges you want and I would have gone Mizuno T20. I'll continue to update here though as I use them more. Was planning on going out soon but a big line of storms is coming through.

• Like 1

I received mine a couple of weeks ago. After several range sessions, a zillion chips on the practice green, and three rounds here are my impressions:

• Very aesthetically pleasing behind the ball.
  • The 55 degree replaced my Callaway Jaws MD5 56 degree. I'm easily hitting the Edison 20 yards further with more control. I went from 80 yards with the Jaws to a little over 100 with the Edison. This filled the huge gap between my gap wedge and sand wedge very nicely. I assume the extra distance is mostly due to the V grind catching the ball cleanly - as opposed to the more bounce of the Callaway (YMMV as I am not really an equipment junkie).
  • Opening the club face provides a decent amount of bounce that works (for me) great for longer bunker shots.
  • I also purchased the 59 degree to replace my Jaws 60 degree. Basically the same results. I have NEVER been able to consistently hit a full 60 degree from the fairway - the risk of skulling the ball was too great and I simply didn't have the skill to pull that shot off. The Edison is a breeze to hit and I feel I have picked up another useful shot for those  times when the pin is 50 yards, need to clear a bunker, and stop fast. I am also hitting the 59 degree from green side bunkers and love the results.
  • I've noticed that shots from firm bunkers (little to no sand) are easier. Again, I assume this is due to the unique grind.
  • Chipping is also good. I chip just as well with these as I did the Callaways. Chipping is my strong suit, so I didn't really expect the Edisons to improve this aspect of my game.
  • Both clubs spin the hell out of the ball. We all know that this can be both good and bad - I'm paying more attention to my target distance to make up for the additional spin.

That's my two cents. So far, they have been well worth the money. 

• Like 5

so a month in, @timabe and @Josh Ross, are you still enjoying these? I just got fitted for some new irons and am somewhat curious about taking a leap at these. Convincing  my wife i need different wedges though is another story.

• Like 1

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting

2 hours ago, rbsiedsc said:

so a month in, @timabe and @Josh Ross, are you still enjoying these? I just got fitted for some new irons and am somewhat curious about taking a leap at these. Convincing  my wife i need different wedges though is another story.

Enjoying is an understatement. I absolutely love these things and want to get a second set eventually for when these wear down. I went and did some testing on a Foresight GCQuad against the latest offerings from Vokey, Ping, TaylorMade, and Cleveland. I found these, on average, to spin more on well struck shots by about 500 RPM. I'm generally a good ball striker so I tried to hit some high on the face to test the claims of increased spin on mis-hits. I have to say they delivered, as the Edison were spinning more than 1000 RPM over the others on average. 

It has been fairly evident on the course. My home course is pretty short and with my distance off the tee I'm always inside 100 yards with my approach. After honing in on what swings produced which yardage during my launch monitor session, I played 9 holes and had 7 birdie opportunities. The greens were freshly punched and putting was impossible but the wedges put me in a position to score really well. I've been lacking confidence ever since my SCOR wedges lost their bite but now I'm more confident than ever.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Josh Ross said:

Enjoying is an understatement. I absolutely love these things and want to get a second set eventually for when these wear down. I went and did some testing on a Foresight GCQuad against the latest offerings from Vokey, Ping, TaylorMade, and Cleveland. I found these, on average, to spin more on well struck shots by about 500 RPM. I'm generally a good ball striker so I tried to hit some high on the face to test the claims of increased spin on mis-hits. I have to say they delivered, as the Edison were spinning more than 1000 RPM over the others on average. 

It has been fairly evident on the course. My home course is pretty short and with my distance off the tee I'm always inside 100 yards with my approach. After honing in on what swings produced which yardage during my launch monitor session, I played 9 holes and had 7 birdie opportunities. The greens were freshly punched and putting was impossible but the wedges put me in a position to score really well. I've been lacking confidence ever since my SCOR wedges lost their bite but now I'm more confident than ever.

great to hear!! man I want to game these so bad. (counts how much I've sent on clubs in the last two years) 🤑

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

great to hear!! man I want to game these so bad. (counts how much I've sent on clubs in the last two years) 🤑

They're a little pricey but definitely worth it. And if you don't like them, you get the wedges you want and the difference back. Can't go wrong with trying these first.

Has anyone compared these to the most wanted wedge from last year? I have a chance to get a pair new for the price of one Edison, although I told myself no more golf purchases this year. 😝

9 hours ago, rbsiedsc said:

Has anyone compared these to the most wanted wedge from last year? I have a chance to get a pair new for the price of one Edison, although I told myself no more golf purchases this year. 😝

The Honma? I can't find them anywhere to hit so I can't help there.