The 2021 Ryder Cup at Whistling Straits

6 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Actually it was a 36 spot jump, that's what the  green  ^36 indicates.   

image.png.cb0ac43a416ca37ee9938cfe10c59161.png

• Haha 2

Driver:  :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW:  :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 65g Stiff

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: SIM DHY 3 & 4H, Diamana Limited Hybrid 75g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind, 60 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL:ER7B 

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

On 5/25/2021 at 11:30 AM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Actually it was a 36 spot jump, that's what the  green  ^36 indicates.   

I agree completely with your assessment of if he makes the team or not.  You can't get sentimental for a one week lightning in a bottle performance, if that's what it turns out to be.  Vice Captain would be a good thing for him, especially if he's going to be a captain in 2023 or 2025.   But if this the beginning of a revival of sorts and he plays well the rest of the summer and is inside the top 20 at the time the picks are made, I could see a case for him. 

Definitely Vice Captain.  It’s a long summer and see what happens .  There is a lot of quality guys looming and looking at a chance.

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Looking at the European squad, here's the top 10 in European points:

image.png.fe8e7c26a6c5f96f13dc72a9e7a15d12.png

And here are the top 10 in World points:

image.png.95e4f6518d81213bb6d2ecd1b75af1a8.png

The players in blue font are the ones who would on the team.  As a reminder, the top 4 on the European points list, followed by the top 5 on the World points list not including players already in via the European points list, make it automatically.  Captain Harrington then gets 3 Captain's picks, HALF of the total of Captain's picks Stricker will have.

Rory's situation has improved considerably given his victory at the Wells Fargo, the question now being what kind of form will he be in come late September.  And, while we're all talking about Phil's candidacy, look at Lee Westwood currently in automatically via World points!

The Captain's picks for Europe will be fascinating. It will be interesting to see if Danny Willett will get the call...I doubt the American fans will let him forget his brothers comments at Hazeltine.

On 5/25/2021 at 11:24 AM, Getoffmylawn said:

With the PGA Championship now complete, here's a look at the updated US standings:

image.png.a873109232b00800c7491ac9816bd891.png

image.png.a5b39d39c4eeb3341904eade1107d87f.png

The big obvious move here is a 20 position jump by Phil Mickelson.  He's not in as an automatic pick, but he's certainly moved himself into Captain's Pick consideration.  Captain Stricker was asked about Mickelson over the weekend (before he won), and acknowledged that Mickelson's play has been spotty and inconsistent to date, but that a win at the PGA and continued good play might get him on the team.  And so what seemed unimaginable before last weekend could come to pass...Phil Mickelson might make this Ryder Cup team!

To my mind, lots of pros and cons to debate concerning his potential inclusion.  He would certainly bring a veteran presence to the team.  There's also a strong argument to be made that Whistling Straits will likely set up and play a lot like Kiawah did, which would suggest Phil would do well.

That said, while he has plenty of experience, Phil is not exactly a strong Ryder Cup performer.  Here's his record:

image.png.31163a9b7a8711aee8cbd33a6a5ef343.png

He also only played in two matches at Le National in 2018, and was beaten handily in both.

To me, the question is form.  If you're adding Phil for leadership and experience, then add him as a Vice Captain.  If he's still playing well and in top elite form when it's time for Captain's Picks, then I'd be okay with his selection.  If this past weekend was simply "lightning in a bottle" and Phil regresses to his earlier season form, then I can't see passing up a Cantlay or Berger to put him on.  (Here's a good Golf Digest article about who may be most impacted by Phil's surge into consideration:  12 players Phil Mickelson may have just stolen a Ryder Cup spot from | Golf News and Tour Information | Golf Digest)

Thoughts?

based on the latest

IN:

DJ

Bryson

JT

Kopeka

Morikawa

Xander

then things get interesting ... if i'm captain:

Reed - still a bulldog. gotta take him. plus, he can kinda be under the radar with all this Bryson/Brooks crap going on

Finau - very steady with a lot of birdie potential

Spieth - he has earned his way back

Cantley - god, he is boring but a talented steady eddie is valuable at a Ryder Cup

Phil - i admit, i am a Phil hater but if he just finishes the summer somewhat strong, i'd put him on the team. but limit him to best-ball and singles. 

Horschel, Berger, Kokrak or Scheffler - whomever finishes the summer the strongest

My thoughts on Reed. This is a team event and he has proven he is anything but a team player. If he wanted to be on my team, I would tell him to play in the Zurich Classic with someone and make it through the weekend without claiming all the accolades or blaming your teammate for the poor shots. In a 2 man team match play round, just knowing your teammate has your back is as important as having a teammate who can make the shots. No doubt Reed can make the shots, but what happens after the round or even after the shot is made? 

Driver:      :ping-small:  G425MAX 10.5° -1° Flat on Project X HZRDUS Yellow Handcrafted 65g

Fairway:   :ping-small:  G410 3 wood LST & 5  Wood Flat on :ping-small: Alta CB 65R

:ping-small:  G425MAX  7 & 9  Flat on :ping-small: Alta CB 65R

Hybrid:     :ping-small:  G425MAX  6 H Flat on :ping-small: Alta CB 65R

Irons:     :ping-small:  i 500 7-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50°, 54° & 60° on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: Studio Style Newport 1.5

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X :taylormade-small: TP5 

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  

Range Finder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

What are the chances Stricker pairs Brooks and Bryson together?  🤣

• Haha 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

11 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

What are the chances Stricker pairs Brooks and Bryson together?  🤣

I'd say slim to none. 

One of the things that irks me is the US seems to pair guys by who's cozy with who, which is why you'll inevitably see Brooks paired with DJ, (likely) why Spieth and Reed were broken up, etc.  Spieth and Reed even acknowledged and said several times over that they felt they were a great team because they were constantly trying to beat each other!

Dave Stockton often said he felt it was best to pair guys who played from similar distances.  That logic would suggest a Finau - Bryson pairing.  And, if Phil makes the team, you could likely see Bryson and Phil paired if only due to their seemingly shared affections for geeking out over the physics of it all...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

I'd say slim to none. 

That's what everyone said when Hal Sutton paired Tiger and Phil.   🤣

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 3 weeks later...

Ryder Cup is coming up fast!!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

17 hours ago, Rickp said:

Ryder Cup is coming up fast!!

Yes it is; can't wait!

If anyone's wondering how the US Open affected Rahm's fate for the Ryder Cup team, it kinda didn't...he was a lock before, and he's more of a lock now.

Here's the European Points list:

image.png.fc841c1c10e5c25332a0cadf9ca1cde4.png

image.png.404fd2107027d65784174d550a19a069.png

And, here's the World Points list:

image.png.6ee4e8a3d782207e6ab2bd3df62eb948.png

image.png.5f9fa5bb706b8fb8fd950f05c3de6a71.png

So, the team for the Euro's as of today is:

1) Rahm

2) Fleetwood

3) Hatton

4) McIlroy

5) Casey

6) Hovland

7) Westwood

8 Fitzpatrick

9) V. Perez

Plus, 3 Captain's picks.  

Looks like a tough squad to me, should be a heck of a cup.  

• Like 1

So true…

E6F3F0D8-E722-49E1-B854-D7C9B8438415.jpeg.30a40509a5b76543f4ffa7bada745a56.jpeg

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

• 4 weeks later...

Updated US Ryder Cup standings post-Open Championship:

image.png.78862f26712cd1c2cf50ccdfddcdc003.png

image.png.43a2fa061910a17fceccaab9fc19808c.png

Spieth has obviously made extraordinary leaps when compared to the beginning of the season, now being on the verge of an automatic pick and a definite lock for one of Captain Stricker's six captain's picks.  Harris English will be a very interesting scenario...with 2 wins on the season he's built a solid case for his selection, but he has no Ryder or President's Cup experience, and Webb Simpson (who was one of few bright spots for the US in France) is sitting there at #13 on this list.

And, Reed has slipped to 8th and will need to play well to move into the automatic pick space.  If he needs a Captain's pick, does he get one?  He certainly brings baggage, and I for one am getting increasingly concerned about the locker room/team dynamic of team USA.  Reed may be on the team, then add in the Koepka - DeChambeau drama, and you've got a potentially divided team...a direct contrast to the strength of the Euro squad, and perhaps why an obviously more talented American roster is vulnerable to another Ryder Cup loss.  I'm really really really hoping that's not the case.

Headed to Kohler myself this week.  I’m anxious to see if they have started the first tee grandstand - always the largest and most rocccous place at the RC.  I’ll post some Picts here of what, if anything, I discover.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

Its tough to believe there is a lumber shortage in the country... there is plywood and joists stacked up all over the course.  Played the Irish and could see the grandstands going up on the Straits.  Will play there tomorrow and hav some good picts.  But the stands are going up.  The whole town of Kohler has banners hanging all over. IMG_7570.JPG.ae8d0b0437e028353ed62983d0f54252.JPGIMG_7571.JPG.665c9dba3bbf8a8884890e4f9b323eec.JPG The pro shops are just full of stuff already.  the caddies hats are all RyderCup, even the range is with the theme. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts

I won't burden anyone with slowly downloading pictures - but if you want to see how construction is going - I've got some shots from July 29th here in iCloud - https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0g5Uzl7VXoNFA

• Like 2
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

I won't burden anyone with slowly downloading pictures - but if you want to see how construction is going - I've got some shots from July 29th here in iCloud - https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0g5Uzl7VXoNFA

Man I love that course!!   Have played it about  7 or 8 times.  So I recognized every one of those holes!    Great job with the pictures!  Thanks for sharing. 

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Changing from who's in to strategy - 

During the President's Cup in 2019 there was so much talk about how Ernie Els took a data centered approach to match-ups and hole strategy, which payed off over the first day but the US still fought back and won. While I definitely think that the US still used data there is always that "man-analytics" aspect of who the captain thinks is going to play well, which payed off.  

What should we expect when it comes to captain strategy at Whistling Straights?

• Like 1

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

42 minutes ago, TBS said:

Changing from who's in to strategy - 

During the President's Cup in 2019 there was so much talk about how Ernie Els took a data centered approach to match-ups and hole strategy, which payed off over the first day but the US still fought back and won. While I definitely think that the US still used data there is always that "man-analytics" aspect of who the captain thinks is going to play well, which payed off.  

What should we expect when it comes to captain strategy at Whistling Straights?

So this is always hard to predict, especially this year with half the American squad being Captain's picks.  Years ago Dave Stockton paired guys based on them having similar games, his main reasoning being that players would play their best when they were playing from comfortable distances.  Azinger of course made the pod system famous, which Davis Love III loosely followed at Medinah and again at Hazeltine.  Tom Watson seemed to do this based on gut instinct and the hairs on the back of his neck, and Furyk...I'm not sure what system he used.  It was apparent early in the week that he was sending out practice groups consisting of players that he could mix and match, but it was also apparent at the end of the week that a buddy system of "who wants to play with who" might have taken hold a little too much.  For instance, I understand he's polarizing, but how you break up Reed and Spieth and never put them out together is beyond comprehension.  (Spieth - Thomas turned out to be a good pairing...Reed floundered and only won in singles.)

So, a couple random thoughts:

- Who to put with Bryson?  Basically, I think you need an affable laid back type who isn't easily bothered by his quirkiness, and who also bombs it.  Finau.

- Cantley and Xander seem like a great match; they did well at the President's Club and clearly enjoy playing together as evidenced by the Zurich.  Morikawa seems interchangeable with either as well.  

- DJ and Koepka look like a juggernaut on paper but their team performance has been underwhelming. Two President's Cups ago, DJ and Spieth paired well, and I wouldn't mind seeing if JT could spark a little more fire from Brooks.  I don't know how realistic that is though.

- The big wild card is Reed.  If he's on the team, I think you put him and Spieth in a room and tell them to work it out because they're playing together.  But, if Capt Stricker decides to leave him off, I feel like Spieth is a guy you can pair with just about anyone, including Bryson....they both play and practice together at Dallas National, and who wouldn't want to see Spieth with a wedge in hand after a Bryson bomb?

Like I said, random thoughts.  It's going to be interesting for sure.

• Like 1

As to who to partner w Bryson…. Should Finau even be on the team?  What’s he done this year?  Other than some second place finishes…. (Sorry to the TF fans…)

ok, seriously crazy idea - who is best at playing recovery shots for drives that go astray?  That’s who needs to partner w Bryson.  That’s Phil.

You also need some match play killers - Kizner and Billy Ho. 

you need guys to bring the crowd into it - again, Billy Ho and Reed

On 7/31/2021 at 8:52 AM, WaffleHouseTour said:

Great shots - brought back lots of fond memories. I lived 7 miles from the courses. My boss did their junior golf there a couple of times. 

• Like 1

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.