GolfSpy Barbajo

FORUM MEMBER REVIEWS! Ben Hogan Ft. Worth 15 Irons/TK15 Wedges

I'm with Rev here. I haven't always had perfect degree gaps in my wedges vs my irons but I never really cared as long as the yardage gaps were good. If the gaps got too big then I would bend something.

• Like 3

I'm with Rev here. I haven't always had perfect degree gaps in my wedges vs my irons but I never really cared as long as the yardage gaps were good. If the gaps got too big then I would bend something.

Bending your elbow a few more times takes care of gaps too.  :)

• Like 2

Agreed and understood. I'm just going to find out exactly what they are on paper without estimating so much. I want to see averages and go from there. If something needs adjusted I'll go from there! Haha.

So I got my Scor wedges and went out today and played a 9 in the morning and again in the afternoon. Something I find weird that maybe one of you guys can answer for me. My 51 and 55 are awesome. Really nice with good feel. My 59 is really thick compared to the other 2. Like almost twice as thick. I almost have trouble looking at it. It hits well and I didn't get myself into a situation where I needed to flop or anything but geez is it ever thick lol Is this normal or what?

i have 42, 46, 50, 54, and 58.  They all look the same to me.  In fact, more than once i have grabbed my 58 when I wanted the 46 because I was riding in a cart, not driving, and the clubs were backwards to me.  I am always amazed how short my shot is, then look at the club.   :blush:   This happens when I am having a fun game and not really paying attention to what I am playing.

If it is that noticeable, can you post side-by-side pics of your 59 and 55?  I would like to see that.

• Like 4

So I got my Scor wedges and went out today and played a 9 in the morning and again in the afternoon. Something I find weird that maybe one of you guys can answer for me. My 51 and 55 are awesome. Really nice with good feel. My 59 is really thick compared to the other 2. Like almost twice as thick. I almost have trouble looking at it. It hits well and I didn't get myself into a situation where I needed to flop or anything but geez is it ever thick lol Is this normal or what?

I have a 60,55,53,48,44 (I don't bag the 55) they all look the same which is IMO one of their benefits. Where did yo you get them?

Mine are 50*, 54* & 57*......the only difference is the grip, which I have changed. Two have a GP grip the other has a Pure grip.  And they all look the same at address.

I got them from a store on ebay. It's just at address it seems thicker than what my Callaway wedge was and that was a 60. The 51 and 55 don't look as thick as the 59. I'll try to take a pic of them together tonight. I'm on vacation with the family but somehow my bag and shoes just magically showed up in my truck lol

• Like 2

I've got the pictures but no wifi only wifi available is in my truck lol. Upon further inspection though they do look similar just not as blade like as the mack daddy 2's I had. First attempt with them was with my 51 from about 135 yards to about 6 feet to the pin. I did have problems with some shots though. Work in progress but definitely some potential 😆

Hey guys!

This post is a little later in the day than I hoped, but I had a busy day and just now got around to getting my information put together.

So this afternoon I went to my instructor for a gap test and a fitting on the upper end of my bag. As I've mentioned before, while I was there I had my Hogan lofts checked and then adjusted however is necessary. Here is where my specs came out. What is so interesting to me is how different my results are to Rookies. Some food for thought.

21*- 21* measured.

25*- 24* measured.

29*- 29* measured.

33*- 33* measured.

37*- 36* measured.

41*- 41* measured.

45*- 44* measured.

49*- 50* measured.

53*- 54* measured.

57*- 58* measured.

61*- 63* measured.

Pretty tight tolerances. Outside of the 61 coming in 2 degrees weak, everything was very much acceptable to me. While I was there I had them adjust everything to the stated lofts just to have everything fine tuned, as well as had the wedges bent 2* flat based on my ball flight and my performance on the launch monitor. My old gamers (Edel wedges) were 2* flat, and after comparing them side by side with the Hogans we felt it was a necessary adjustment.

What is so interesting is how deadly accurate these clubs are. We would pick target distances with the wedges and I was hitting them within a yard of the distance with plenty of zip.

Another thing that a lot of you guys will enjoy? The guys there made an off comment about how my instructor had listened to a gentleman with the last name Snell speak once at a convention. They were talking about blending teachings from all of the different teachers and the important people in the industry into the way they do things. So I reached into my bag and handed him a Snell My Tour Ball, and all three of the guys working about flipped out. They immediately started asking questions on the performance and we talked for awhile about them, about the fantastic pricing and performance and about the things that Dean has done in the industry.

Then for fun, and since we were testing my wedges, we put it in direct comparison to a Pro V1 on their launch monitor. My first two strikes? I picked up 2,000 (!!!) revs of spin! We tested them side by side for the rest of the time, and repeatedly I had significantly more spin, distance and launch angles with the Snell My Tour Ball.

Just a little side story!

Also, another thing we realized is the efficiency of using the C Taper shaft in the wedges instead of a lighter wedge flex shaft (say a DG Spinner like what is on my Edel's.)

We found that fuller swings allowed for a much better contact and ball flight compared to the lighter DG shaft, and that strike was more consistent, with tighter dispersion as well as better control over the ball.

It wasn't anything revolutionary. But the consistency of the shafts running completely through the set ended up being a big deal.

Very pleased.

• Like 6

Yep, what Undershooter said Mr Galecki.(read Sschaffer24)  Another great update you are truly the consummate overachiever and I'm glad to know you even if it is from a distance on these forums.  Maybe one day if the stars align we'll have a hit together. 

Not sure about those spin numbers though.  I must be just hitting my wedges sweet at the moment but I hit a 70 yard pitch with my 60 degree Vokey today and landed it about a foot past the pin and sucked it off the green again today with a Pro V1X.  It pitched and stopped about 5ft past then backed up like a demon.  It was into an up slope so that assisted but again a sure fire par turned into sucky bogey.  It seems it won't be an issue for a while because Snell don't seem to ship their balls to Australia, might have to make a friend and get them to send me a dozen to try <_>

• Like 3

Great job Sean but I have to be a bit sceptical on those spin numbers as well. I play Dean's ball and I'm a pretty good ball striker. It's a great ball but there's no way it spins 2,000 RPMs better than a Pro Vi on well hit shots. In fact on a part shot my money would be on the Pro VI by a nose. I believe the My Tour Ball spins a tad bit better than the Pro VIx but again it's a nose. We are talking a small spread between those three balls.

The point is that the My Tour Ball quacks like a duck but costs like a turtle dove. It's an unreal value for a ball that performs right there with other top performing balls.

Back to the irons I would agree that those are acceptable and normal tolerances. But refresh our memory, how much did the session and adjusents cost? The question on the Hogans is going to come back to price and if you know that there is the orobability of and additional price at that price it's not a good thing.

I've edited this because I did have a question for Sean - where your actual yardage results reflective of normal gaps between clubs - another words before the change were you at approximately 12 yard increments between clubs? 

In the end that's what counts isn't it - a somewhat consistent gap between each of our clubs - we may have a larger gap at either end of the bag (I do between my two bottom clubs others do somewhere at the top end).  But those gaps are intentional to cover some other part of the game -

• Like 3

I agree with Rev. All tour balls are somewhat similar to me with wedge spin. Maybe 1000 rpm difference from ball to ball in my experience. Except for possibly the Nike RZN black. Its about the only tour ball I can't get to spin back 15-25 feet.

• Like 1

First off, thanks again for all of the well wishes. I'm just trying to give everyone here as complete of a picture as I can.

Before I answer your questions Rev (I'm happy to, by the way) I want to point something out. The 2,000 more revs are something that I know without a shadow of a doubt aren't typical. I'm not trying to come on the board and make the claim that the Snell spins 2k more revs than then Pro V1 consistently, and instead trying to point out that at that time, in those conditions and with the strikes I was putting on the ball (which admittedly I felt were good across the comparisons made) those were the results I got.

First swing on the Snell ball and my instructor practically fell out of his chair. Second strike I had the same spin gap. I had been hitting ProV1's with the same club into the net for about 10-15 shots and was averaging the same spin number. Once I switched to the Snell my average jumped by 2k and stayed there. I don't believe this is typical. I DID however see it with my own eyes. He showed me the numbers, and we were both blown away. 

Again. I know it's atypical. And not probably an effective difference on the course, but in that testing, I truly was seeing the difference on THOSE strikes. Which, once again, FELT like they were consistent between the different balls. Remember, I wasn't going into yesterday trying to do ball testing. We just did it on a whim while we were doing my wedge lessons.

Now to answer your questions Rev.

The session and adjustments cost me $30 for all. We were doing a fitting for the top end of my bag (hybrids and fairway) and because of that mixed with the gap testing, he only charged me for the adjustments. For the record, I didn't end up purchasing anything as of yesterday, but we have a few options in mind. Just need further testing. Honestly after comparing my Hybrid and the others with the 25* iron, I was getting very similar numbers out of the two clubs. A little more consistency out of the hybrids I was testing, but considerably less feel. Man do these irons feel good. I keep coming back to that in my mind.

Something else to be upfront about here, my instructor didn't charge me for the session. That was partially him probably cutting me a break (don't know for sure) and partially the store taking care of me for being a returning customer. I drive 1.5 hours each way for my lessons, so they try and take care of me as best they can. Awesome people to work with.

And second, yes. The yardage gaps were very consistent between clubs. Hitting my 25 I was getting within 2-3 yards of carry distance with each shot. Some were complete shanks and we discounted those. But for the majority of the strikes the yardage was very consistent.

I saw that through the rest of the bag. The best part about these clubs is being able to pick a yardage and just throw a dart right at it. The feel and consistency out of these things is just amazing. I find that within a reasonable strike pattern, these irons are just ridiculously consistent. No hyperbole.

Let's put it this way. My instructor is thinking about becoming Hogan certified. These guys have it figured out.

And yes, I was very happy with my lofts on the irons. Very close to spec, with one only a couple of degrees out. Which as the guys at the shop said, could have easily happened with play. 

• Like 3

I just want to hit on this again very briefly. I know the number I said about the spin is ridiculous. Everyone reading this who knows golf balls and launch monitors is probably a little skeptical of what I'm saying. I would be as well. I can promise everyone this though. On that day, with those golf balls, with those wedges and with my strikes (probably 10-15 before the Snell with the Pro V1 and then another 15-20 with the Snell afterwards) I genuinely saw those numbers. It's amazing. But true.

Just want to give another two cents on that. Haha.

• Like 2

Very good thanks - I do appreciate the answers - I want to be clear on one thing - had you not gone for the gapping you would never have known that the clubs were off at all - you had consistent yardage gaps before anything was tweaked.

Is that correct?

I bring that up because most golfers have some differences in loft/lie between clubs.  I think they only become noticeable when there is a gapping issue. 

Shawn The ball thing may be due to it being a good match for you and your equipment. I was a dyed in the wool Pro V fan until a few months ago. this young assistant Pro I have been mentioring some ended up with 3 Srixon Soft Feels and gave them to me. Now I will admit I did like the Srixon Z-Stars in the past. Loved the feel and performance. that got me into the softer feeling ball thing. One day I found a Bridgestone Treo Soft and played it. fell in love with it. Ended up playing in a charity scramble and won some gift cards to Golfsmith. Went over there and they had the Treo Softs on sale for $14 a dozen and with a further $20 discount card I had I got 4 dozen basically free. I also had a gift card for the pro shop where we played the tournament and they are a T-mag dealer so I got 1 dozen Aeroburner Softs and a glove. The Aeroburner Softs are also a good ball. now I am not going to make any outrageous distance claims here but I got maybe 3 yards more with the softer balls and a lot more control with the wedges. Yep there is something to the ball fitting thing too. Sounds like those Snell balls with the combo of the Hogan irons works well for you

• Like 2

Stu - have you ever tried the TM Project A balls?  Very soft feeling ball that is fairly inexpensive.