What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

11 hours ago, ILMgolfnut said:

I made the same adjustment last year, and my number of pop flies, while not zero, has gone way down. I'm trying to reinforce that with a drill where I put a headcover about 15 inches in front of the ball and try not to hit the headcover on my follow-through, to promote hitting up on the driver.

To me, the people who claim you should have the same swing for every club are nuts. You want to be hitting down on your irons; hitting down on your driver results in a damaged driver and keeps the shortstop busy.

I agree , that’s like saying the putter is the same as a driver 😂. With my irons I definitely hit down and taking divots but  with my driver I am swinging upward ( at Club Champion I am swinging upward with + 3* ). My fairway woods I am sweeping it . To think that one swing suits all shots is absurd. 

Edited by THE GOLF GUY

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright @9.75*

Taylormade Stealth 2    HL 16.5* 3 wood Fujikura Ventus     6 S 

Taylormade Stealth 2   7 wood   Fujikura Ventus   7 S

Taylormade P7MC  5-PW  Aerotech Steelfiber  I 95 gm  R 

Tileist SM09 54 & 60* wedges

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

11 hours ago, THE GOLF GUY said:

I agree , that’s like saying the putter is the same as a driver 😂. With my irons I definitely hit down and taking divots but  with my driver I am swinging upward ( at Club Champion I am swinging upward with + 3* ). My fairway woods I am sweeping it . To think that one swing suits all shots is absurd. 

It is one swing, length of club, ball position cause a change in the swing plans, but the actual swing itself is the same. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Went to the range yesterday, and after Thursday's community call, I was inspired and spent most of the time working on Driver, 3/5 wood. Something kind of clicked, and curious if any of you have had a similar issue.

So with driver, I've been trying out a grip more in the fingers (left hand), then folding over hand so I can see three knuckles on top. Peter Finch (and others) talk about this grip being a successful grip especially to help avoid slices.

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkx4o3qwVcPRBk854lV-poEzwpOdDbOdONX?si=RVnk5G0VVPz1ylnp (15 second clip of him explaining his grip)

I'm having some success so far - early days, but I seem to be able to bring the back of my hand through the ball a lot better, and my "good" shots are great, while my "bad" shots are significantly less bad.However, if I use this grip with either of the fairways, I see a snap hook to the left. It's crazy.What I discovered today was a much more neutral (or even weaker) grip allowed me to get through the ball with incredible results. High, beautiful shots with distance. Like, 3-wood flew as far as a lot of my drives.Both of the fairways are the Max model, and there's some offset, but I'm guessing that there's something about the way they're built that promotes a right-to-left flight that's being exacerbated by that strong grip.I honestly don't care if I have to change grip for a few clubs in the bag - results matter, not grip.Just curious if anyone's ever seen anything like this?

it's just something I've never really pondered - having more than one grip for multiple clubs.  I've always been a "this is my grip and I use it for every club" kind of golfer, but that may be changing (and for potentially good and obvious reasons). 

Let me know what you think!

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

1 hour ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

So with driver, I've been trying out a grip more in the fingers (left hand), then folding over hand so I can see three knuckles on top. Peter Finch (and others) talk about this grip being a successful grip especially to help avoid slices.

This is the grip that pretty much every good teacher recommends, Ben hogan talked about it as well. The grip should be in the fingers of both hands. The lead had is how it’s described in the video and the trail it goes across the middle two fingers.

1 hour ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

it's just something I've never really pondered - having more than one grip for multiple clubs.  I've always been a "this is my grip and I use it for every club" kind of golfer, but that may be changing (and for potentially good and obvious reasons). 

There really shouldn’t be different grips for anything other than chips when you grip a non putter.

Sure you can maybe weaken or strengthen the grip but then placement goes in the same place regardless. Proper grip goes along way to helping with correct wrist set and arm movement 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Day 77 (30 Mar 24) -  Niece and hubby and family are in town for the weekend, so he and I partnered up for an early morning 18 at the local course.  His first time back on the course since Labor Day so it was more of a knock some serious rust off round for him.  I had a decent start - birdie on the first...followed by a horrible quad bogie on the second.  Still the overall score for the round was decent for where I normally score.  Course management "of my head" kept me from going south after the second and saw the results with some really good wedge work into the greens with the putter delivering solid rolls if not in the cup, delivering tap ins.  

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

2 hours ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

Went to the range yesterday, and after Thursday's community call, I was inspired and spent most of the time working on Driver, 3/5 wood. Something kind of clicked, and curious if any of you have had a similar issue.

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkx4o3qwVcPRBk854lV-poEzwpOdDbOdONX?si=RVnk5G0VVPz1ylnp (15 second clip of him explaining his grip)

I'm having some success so far - early days, but I seem to be able to bring the back of my hand through the ball a lot better, and my "good" shots are great, while my "bad" shots are significantly less bad.However, if I use this grip with either of the fairways, I see a snap hook to the left. It's crazy.What I discovered today was a much more neutral (or even weaker) grip allowed me to get through the ball with incredible results. High, beautiful shots with distance. Like, 3-wood flew as far as a lot of my drives.Both of the fairways are the Max model, and there's some offset, but I'm guessing that there's something about the way they're built that promotes a right-to-left flight that's being exacerbated by that strong grip.I honestly don't care if I have to change grip for a few clubs in the bag - results matter, not grip.Just curious if anyone's ever seen anything like this?

First off, congrats on finding the fairways!

I have spent alot of time and effort in the ways of adjusting my grip for my driver to attempt to find a semi-decent result.

My lead hand was always out of place it seemed.

I actually have 3 grips I use now.

Driver/woods are a baseball grip. Trail hand at strong position. Lead hand 2.5 knuckles showing on top. I get the most distance, and dispersion is so much better. If use the interock, I still can be fairly accurate, but distance drops 10-20 yards with a neutral or strong trail hand.

Irons are interlock grip. Still 2.5 knuckles on lead hand. Trail hand is neutral . I get the best feel and straight shots. 3rd grip is if I go strong grip with the Trail hand if I am trying to really launch the ball higher. But accuracy falls a bit, and tend to hook or slice. Baseball grip with irons is no Bueno for me. Instant draw or hook is the result.

Wedges is interlock as well. Neutral position on Trail hand.

Bump shots is all depending on lie and distance.  Sometimes I use a putter grip for these as well.

Personally I would love to have 1 grip to rule them all. Maybe one day I will. 

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Today’s practice was at Top Golf with the kids. Of course, the intent was to have fun with them, and we did. I spent my time during the games going through my pre-shot routine and continuing work on my irons (takeaway and not bouncing).

On the whole, I hit the ball really well. I had zero toppers, and I think only one or two where I caught the ball a little thin. I had a few shots where I ended up hooking when I didn’t fully hinge my wrists. I had one legitimate strong fade that I would not have been happy with on the course. Otherwise, my balls were all mostly on target (or close enough to be be satisfied) with good trajectory.

Found I hit the ball off the toe a few times, so worked on my positioning a bit, too, to good effect.

Great confidence booster.

Edited by Prodigal Duffer

2023 MGS tester: OnCore VERO X1 ball

2024 MGS tester: Edel Array putter

Driver: Callaway Epic Max 9*

3W: Ping G425 max

Irons: Srixon JX5-MKII (5-PW)

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

52* Cleveland RTX Zipcore

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Putter: Odyssey stroke lab r-ball mallet

2 hours ago, Rob Person said:

I have spent alot of time and effort in the ways of adjusting my grip for my driver to attempt to find a semi-decent result.

Driver/woods are a baseball grip. Trail hand at strong position. Lead hand 2.5 knuckles showing on top. I get the most distance, and dispersion is so much better. If use the interock, I still can be fairly accurate, but distance drops 10-20 yards with a neutral or strong trail hand.

Irons are interlock grip. Still 2.5 knuckles on lead hand. Trail hand is neutral . I get the best feel and straight shots. 3rd grip is if I go strong grip with the Trail hand if I am trying to really launch the ball higher. But accuracy falls a bit, and tend to hook or slice. Baseball grip with irons is no Bueno for me. Instant draw or hook is the result.

Bump shots is all depending on lie and distance.  Sometimes I use a putter grip for these as well.

Oh man - my baseball-playing-self (I mean, when I was in middle/high school, that is, lol) wants SO badly to go to a baseball grip, but I have tried and it feels CRAZY to me 🙂 

I know that the handle-down-the-fingers grip is "correct" - @RickyBobby_PR - I hear that, and am striving to have one grip.  That being said, watching the ball literally go from one fairway, turn left, and then end up in the left rough of the fairway running the opposite direction is less than ideal.  Obviously there's SOMETHING I'm doing that's promoting that ball snapping to the left, but without a slow-mo/down-the-line multi-cam setup (or a dedicated coach), deciphering the "what" is a bit cumbersome at the moment.  

It honestly only seems to be happening (that left hook) with these new FW's - and really, it's the 5-wood in particular.  My irons continue to be pretty excellent (for me, anyway - I won't be insisting my iron game be thrust upon anyone else, lol), and I've been able to institute the more "correct" grip with no issue - if anything it's improved my strike and ball flight. 

I just thought it was an odd thing to see that flight out of nowhere, and to see it limited with a weaker (or, at least, "less than ideal") grip.  Especially as my BIG miss (at least with driver) is always a slice off to the right.  

Appreciate the feedback, though, from both of you guys!

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

7 hours ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

Thus is very similar to what I have switched to.  It's taken a min to get used to but I'm liking the results. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Hit up the range today to get in some more time with the Mevo and work on not allowing my wrists to go beyond 90° on the backswing. I've always been a sucker in that way to the myth of creating more lag. 

I started out the day by warming up with a few partial wedges, picking out targets and working on trying to get close to them. I have a tendency to go a bit left and still see that as my major miss with them. 

Distances and speed with the irons are almost back to pre injury form and I just need to work on striking the ball better.

Driver was good, I was fairly accurate with it and feel like any misses I might have won't be as penal when I get on the course.

I'm also trying to add some variety to my short game by learning the toe up shot with clubs other than my specialty wedges. It's awkward so far and I need to learn to ease the tension on these shots. I'll give myself a solid C+ just because I did chip one in at over 40 feet with the GW. 

I was hitting those shots then trying to putt from where they landed and I'm starting to get some feel for distance back since I switched back to the Odyssey. 

As @cksurfdudesays "work in progress". 

3 hours ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

know that the handle-down-the-fingers grip is "correct" - @RickyBobby_PR - I hear that, and am striving to have one grip.  That being said, watching the ball literally go from one fairway, turn left, and then end up in the left rough of the fairway running the opposite direction is less than ideal.  Obviously there's SOMETHING I'm doing that's promoting that ball snapping to the left, but without a slow-mo/down-the-line multi-cam setup (or a dedicated coach), deciphering the "what" is a bit cumbersome at the moment.  

Doesn’t take that type of setup. The face is going where your face is pointed and the ball is moving based on path relationship to the face. You have a big difference between the two that causes that type of movement. It could how you are using wrist and your body in the backswing that’s causing issues in the downswing that’s creating this type of bal flight.

Our faults get worse as the club gets longer. If you are hitting slices with the longer clubs I’m guessing there’s and over the top love and your face is wide open while your path is going way left. 

Post a video non YouTube and let’s see a dtl line and face on. 

11 hours ago, Rob Person said:

Interesting grip style of change, I've not tried the baseball grip but I'm thinking 🤔 I need to try something different. Cheers 🥂

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

Worked with the putter a bit today to get familiar with the Edel Array that I’m testing for the forum. Check out the thread:

Also went outside to continue my iron work. I can see the results pretty easily. Hit roughly 50 balls between my 5 and 8 irons. With the 8, had three truly bad shots where I dipped my right shoulder and the ball shot right. With the 5, had one topper and two hooks. Everything else was acceptable to good. 

Also experimented with where I place the ball in my stance. I think I’ve had it too far forward, particularly with the 5. Moved it back and found better trajectory. 

Happy Easter, spies!

2023 MGS tester: OnCore VERO X1 ball

2024 MGS tester: Edel Array putter

Driver: Callaway Epic Max 9*

3W: Ping G425 max

Irons: Srixon JX5-MKII (5-PW)

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

52* Cleveland RTX Zipcore

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Putter: Odyssey stroke lab r-ball mallet

Day 78 (31 Mar 24) - Yup - back to the slap shot drill this afternoon along with hitting some hard foam balls.  The drill really helps on getting the weight shift in place.  

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

Got out to the range and was more of the same: crushing the ball but hitting right at about a 15-20 degree angle. If I try to move the ball, it's either a chunk or a weak pull. I'm putting it down to the range being at a weird angle and I may be standing too closed. At least that's my current theory as of now. May take until I get to the course and play to find out what's really going on.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Spent the last few weeks just working on chipping and putting. Getting that feel of the 56 / 60 degrees Sub 70 TAIII wedges locked in.
Putting is about matching the line and speed, so I have been working on that specially on the left to right putts.
Haven't played since March 2/3, am hoping this practice pays off when I play again on April 7th. 

Driver:   TaylorMade Qi10 MAX - 8.5 with Fujikura Speeder NX TCS 50 (Terra Forza White Shaft Testing 2024)
3 -Wood Sub70 949x 3 Wood 15 with Hrdz RDX Black Stiff
5-Wood:  Sub70 949x 5 Wood with Hrdz RDX Black stiff
4-Hybrid: Sub70 949x 4 Hybrid with Project X 5.5 Hybrid Stiff
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 - 6-PW , w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges: Sub70 TAIII w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff - 50 ,56, 60
Putter: L.A.B Mezz1, 34 in
Balls: MaxFli Tour X, TaylorMade Tour Response, TaylorMade TPx 
GPS:   Shot Scope X5 with Tracking

TESTED: SUB70 949X 5 Wood
TESTED: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.
TESTED: SkyCaddie LX5 GPS Watch
TESTED: Bag Boy ZFT Bag
TESTING: Terra Forza Shaft  - 

Working on short game again today! Worked on landing zones with short chips with my PW and then on longer shots with my 56* with both chipping and pitching. Season is opening up any day now so hoping the work pays off!

Driver:   Stealth 9* w/ XS Hzrdus Smoke Black
Fairway:  Stealth 3W 15* w/ XS Hzrdus Smoke Black
Irons:   

• P790 2 Iron w/ XS Hzrdus Smoke Black
  • P790 4-6 Iron w/ Project X
  • P770 7-AW XS w/ Project X 

Wedge:   MG3 56* and 60*
Putter:  35" Spider GT Splitback

Putting: Kenyon putting gate drill - got 10/10 through the gate, but it took two tries.

Full swing: Did Kirk Junge Drill 1 with an 8i (10 balls), followed by Junge Drill 2 (basically 9 to 3 swings) 20 balls. 

Rain is predicted for the until at least Friday, so unfortunately it will be indoors for me. 

Ping G400 Max 10.5* - Kuro Kage HBP Black Gen 2, 44.5" length

Ping G425 SFT 5W (19*) - Alta CB Slate SR flex 

Ping G430 5H (26*), 6H (30*) and 7H (34*)- Alta CB 70 regular flex

Ping G710 8i-W - Recoil 80 F3 shaft (1)

Cleveland CBX4 50* and 58*, Smart Sole 4C - Recoil 95 F3 shaft

Odyssey Original 2-Ball White Hot counterbalanced (lead tape in the head, Super Stroke grip with 50-gram weight)

Other: Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear; Callaway Org 7 bag; Clicgear 3.5+

Currently doing a Member Review on Argolf's Pendragon XL Broomstick putter. 

Day 79 (01 Apr 24) - Played 18 today with son and grandson.  Going out played good for me at +3, wheels came off the backside at +11.  Time to review the notes and see where I need to work more in my practice drills…

Oh Boy was today a FULL day of golf. I worked the entire bag for almost 2 hours!!! Roughly 200 balls total. 

Here is some of what I worked on. Unfortunately my phone stopped recording when I would recieve a notification of any kind, lesson learned!. So these are the only clips I was able to put together. It's a little long, but I do have a specific question on the PW portion.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

6 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

Oh Boy was today a FULL day of golf. I worked the entire bag for almost 2 hours!!! Roughly 200 balls total. 

Here is some of what I worked on. Unfortunately my phone stopped recording when I would recieve a notification of any kind, lesson learned!. So these are the only clips I was able to put together. It's a little long, but I do have a specific question on the PW portion.

your a little slow young man, I already watched on YouTube, but I'll hit you up in a message to answer your question I heard you ask.

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

[email protected]

On 3/30/2024 at 3:14 PM, ParGuy said:

Driver Working on my turn and finishing my swing After that short game Short game Short game

IMG_9147.jpeg

Short game is a great place to improve 

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

[email protected]

9 hours ago, Rob Person said:

I do have a specific question on the PW portion.

I don’t try to get height it is a combination of the club design and your speed, delivered loft, and spin.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I don’t try to get height it is a combination of the club design and your speed, delivered loft, and spin.  

Without the height, I can't drop and stop the ball. With the height,  I lose distance.

Golf... the everchanging, never stable, makes you love it, then want to hate it, causes a headache, and a smile...

23 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

Without the height, I can't drop and stop the ball. With the height,  I lose distance.

You can also stop the ball with spin.  Good players flight wedges down.   What are your launch, spin, and descent angle numbers?    How much rollout on a green are you getting?  The other option is trying a higher spinning ball. and another way is to just understand the rollout and adjust landing spots.  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

10 hours ago, Rob Person said:

What was your goal of this session?

Is this your typical range session?

What is your goal for practicing.

As for height it’s what cnosil stated. Contact point on the face, dynamic loft, speed and how that affects launch and spin which will affect peak height and descent angle. Which are all determined by how we swing

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

What was your goal of this session?

Is this your typical range session?

What is your goal for practicing.

As for height it’s what cnosil stated. Contact point on the face, dynamic loft, speed and how that affects launch and spin which will affect peak height and descent angle. Which are all determined by how we swing

The goal for this session was strictly to see how well I retained and maintained the swing changes I've incorporated over the last few months,  as its been a couple of weeks since ive practiced outdoors. I've changed grip styles for driver and woods. I've worked on reducing my wrist movements to maintain a better swing path to make more solid contact with the ball.

My typical range session is usually focused on specific club ranges. About 60 balls.

My practice goals are specific to where I feel I'm lacking.  I will try an entire session sometime just by moving the ball position only. Other times it's focused on making 1 change in my body movements and working through that.

My swing speed is 80-85 normally. Occasionally on a good day I can get up to 90.

If I try to power through faster, I end up with bad contact or uncontrollable face movement. I have a limited range in the lead shoulder which prevents me from rotating my upper body past a certain angle, and prevents me from swinging on a plane lower than my trail shoulder, which leads to the club being by my head on my backswing.

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

You can also stop the ball with spin.  Good players flight wedges down.   What are your launch, spin, and descent angle numbers?    How much rollout on a green are you getting?  The other option is trying a higher spinning ball. and another way is to just understand the rollout and adjust landing spots.  

I don't have any of those numbers related to launch, AoA, etc.  A fitting is not available to me at this time. The local sim place has raised his rates again, so at 65 per hour, I may as well wait for the fitting at $125. (That's per club type!)

As far as roll out and such, on full PW shots, my ball typically lands and rolls out 10 or 20 feet with a clean contact. On half and 3/4 shots I can get it in the air no problem, and land it soft. But that's inside 75 yards. My sw is useless in the bunkers, but on full shots, it gets very good flight. Gw is decent too, most of the time for getting over and landing well.

I'm still learning and developing my swing, contact, distances. It just seems odd that once I become semi comfortable with how I play, I go and screw it up by changing something (for the better mostly)

Ive learned Golf is a game of evolution with one's self.

18 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

I don't have any of those numbers related to launch, AoA, etc.  A fitting is not available to me at this time. The local sim place has raised his rates again, so at 65 per hour, I may as well wait for the fitting at $125. (That's per club type!)

As far as roll out and such, on full PW shots, my ball typically lands and rolls out 10 or 20 feet with a clean contact. On half and 3/4 shots I can get it in the air no problem, and land it soft. But that's inside 75 yards. My sw is useless in the bunkers, but on full shots, it gets very good flight. Gw is decent too, most of the time for getting over and landing well.

I'm still learning and developing my swing, contact, distances. It just seems odd that once I become semi comfortable with how I play, I go and screw it up by changing something (for the better mostly)

Ive learned Golf is a game of evolution with one's self.

I’d try a higher spinning ball and see if that helps.