First Time Breaking a Milestone

Our Sponsors

Sorry, but cannot .. yet .. participate here....

Hopefully sometime this Summer or Fall

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*) and EXS 7W (both Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway XR 4H (Project X SD) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For my 600th post (a mild achievement), it is kind of poetic that I get to celebrate first in my golf career. (a mild achievement)   It finally happened.  After trying to figure out how to put toget

I'm a 24 handicap I have been playing serious for about 10 months now at the age of 32. And today finally broke 90 (89). The rough was five plus inches at pine brook golf course in CLE. The green were

Shot my 1st sub 80 round.. shot a 79.. previous best was 80.. 9 pars and 1 eagle.. I started with 5 pars in a row... On 13 I break out the new Cobra F8+. RIP a drive 276 straight down the middle.. Fol

Posted Images

Sorry, but cannot .. yet .. participate here....

Hopefully sometime this Summer or Fall

What's the next milestone on your list?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+
.......tracked by :Arccos:

:ping-small: G410 Plus: Tensei Orange
:cobra-small: King F7 3/4 FW: Tensei Blue

:cobra-small: King F7 3/4 Hy: Fujikura Pro
:ping-small: i500 5-GW: Modus3 105
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60: KBS Tour 90
:MLA: Tour Classic Black w/ :P2-grips-logo:

What's the next milestone on your list?

100 .. consistently!

Still throwing away way too many shots, mostly off the tee. But.....

Almost....... did it this past Wednesday when we were at West Point (now open to the public). Friend had played there before in an outing and came back with tales of many lost balls and many tough uneven and sidehill lies. It was on the way home from visiting friends in PA, so .. why not give it a try?

So with eager anticipation (and some mild trepidation) we set out. In a cart, as it was (quote) "strongly recommended". Good thing, too, given the hills and also maybe like a half mile trip at one point to get to a 6 hole loop separated from the rest and across a 4 lane highway (via an overpass bridge)!

They'd also warned us the greens were "way too fast, cut very close twice a day and rolled".

Anyway, I'd figured I was way way over 100 by the time we were done. But my wife noticed the scorecard today when I was cleaning out my bag and said I should check (she always thinks I make Par on every hole).

I ended up at....

.. *IF* we cheerfully ignore 6 Mulligans off the tee, 3 per side. (Can we, huh?, can we pleez?)

Course is Par 70 (HA!!) and I played the forward tees with my wife which are rated at 64.1/126 (HA! again).

Had 1 penalty - again, IF we allow 6 Mulligans off the tee - which was a lost ball on a second shot (pulled it left into the woods); and had 6 x 3-putts with a total of 41 putts. Had a bunch that just missed the hole and just kept going and going and....

So .. hopefully, yes! - if I could break 100 there I "should" (quote-unquote) be able to do it almost anywhere....

Well, we'll see!

100 .. consistently!

Still throwing away way too many shots, mostly off the tee. But.....

Almost....... did it this past Wednesday when we were at West Point (now open to the public). Friend had played there before in an outing and came back with tales of many lost balls and many tough uneven and sidehill lies. It was on the way home from visiting friends in PA, so .. why not give it a try?

So with eager anticipation (and some mild trepidation) we set out. In a cart, as it was (quote) "strongly recommended". Good thing, too, given the hills and also maybe like a half mile trip at one point to get to a 6 hole loop separated from the rest and across a 4 lane highway (via an overpass bridge)!

They'd also warned us the greens were "way too fast, cut very close twice a day and rolled".

Anyway, I'd figured I was way way over 100 by the time we were done. But my wife noticed the scorecard today when I was cleaning out my bag and said I should check (she always thinks I make Par on every hole).

I ended up at....

.. *IF* we cheerfully ignore 6 Mulligans off the tee, 3 per side. (Can we, huh?, can we pleez?)

Course is Par 70 (HA!!) and I played the forward tees with my wife which are rated at 64.1/126 (HA! again).

Had 1 penalty - again, IF we allow 6 Mulligans off the tee - which was a lost ball on a second shot (pulled it left into the woods); and had 6 x 3-putts with a total of 41 putts. Had a bunch that just missed the hole and just kept going and going and....

So .. hopefully, yes! - if I could break 100 there I "should" (quote-unquote) be able to do it almost anywhere....

Well, we'll see!

I say mulligans are a good thing for people starting out. When you can get it to one Mulligan per side you're close. Gotta break 100 with mulligans before you can break it without.

• Like 1

I say mulligans are a good thing for people starting out. When you can get it to one Mulligan per side you're close. Gotta break 100 with mulligans before you can break it without.

I agree. Why not? As long as you don't hold up anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Best round I have ever shotattachicon.gifIMG_0714.PNG

It's cool that you were using Game Golf when you shot it! Now you will always remember it!

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

• 1 month later...

My milestone as a high handicap was not the scoring but the course management. I used to work at a golf resort in SoCal, featuring 2 championships golf course. There's a par 3 that plays 220 from the white, 241 blue and 300 from the black. The course usually has 2 sets of white tees. It plays a bit longer then the marker huge 4 clubs green.

I has never been able to hit the green and usually walked away with a doubles. One day a pro asked if I want to join him, I said heck yeah. He helped pointing out where to hit the ball and how to attack the hole. So when we get to this par 3, I pulled out a 3 wood, he said don't, hit a 6i and pitch it up you'll make par half the time from there. I did and I made my first par on that hole. It stays with me til this day and from then on I pick my target from tee to green and may game improved dramatically.

Got my wife to do this on a short Par 3 - she grabbed her driver, as she usually does for all tee shots (not a big hitter but it usually goes straight), until I interrupted her and pointed out the bunker completely fronting the entire green .. with an extra mound behind it. Suggested she take whatever she's comfortable hitting 100 and then pitch up. Well... she does just that and sticks it close and makes the putt and Pars the hole!!!

(While yours truly here truly eff'ed up his tee shot .. it went way right and behind a stand of trees with no shot under the branches to get over the mounds around the green .. and walks away with a DOUBLE........)

• Like 3

Should take some of your own advice!

• Like 1

Although I have done it a number of times over the past few years, breaking 80 (shooting in the 70's) is an elusive number for me.  I focus on trying to shoot 26 every 6 holes (ends up at 78) but invariably chunk, pull or otherwise screw a shot and end up in the low to mid 80's.  I think this is more the 5 1/2 inches between my ears than the 6200 yards I walk, but there you go!!

• Like 2

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

I'd forgotten about it, but I did break 100 once last year. Cannot find the old scorecard and cannot remember if I gave myself any Mulligans, but I do remember that I ended with a 98 after a good finishing hole....

Tee shot went right, but playable, second shot was just short-right of the green and landed .. of course .. in a bunker... (oh no, kiss of death for me). Somehow got it out on one try and onto the green and .. it actually rolled towards the hole and .. I made the putt!

So I'm actually happier with that sand save than with the total score .. which I had trouble beating again until this past weekend.

• Like 2

Should take some of your own advice!

Oh, yes! But Mr. Macho here thought he 'had it in the bag' on a level 145 yds to a sloping up at the back green. 

• Like 2

OK, so this past weekend I was able to scratch out a 95 ... 45 on the Front 9 (best 9-Hole score to date), and 50 on the Back 9 (slightly worse than my recent 9-Hole avg at about 48).

Very happy with the end result, of course, but there are a few caveats...

1. Played from the forward tees with my wife; it was just under 5100 yds.

2. There's no Men's Rating for the Red tees but for the Whites, at (only) 5835 yds, it's 67.5/121. So not a terribly difficult course.

3. In fact, this muni course is very "user friendly"; eg. generally wide fairways which were dry so you got extra rollout, rough was cut short and also was dry so you couldn't lose your ball and it was easy to get out and you got some extra rollout there too, and the bunkers were also dry and hard-packed so it was more like chipping out.

4. No major elevation changes (a few small ones) and not really any blind shots. 

5. Gave myself a "free" ;-) first tee Mulligan (that's a 'thing', right?); otherwise counted everything. First tee shot was playable, I'd topped it, but I wanted to start out better (and there was no one behind us). 

Actually thought I might have been on my way to getting close to a 90 .. my next goal. But I had a three hole stretch (#14, 15, 16) where I earned myself an add'l +10 strokes .. so still have some work to do!

• Like 2

1. Don't care

2. Don't care

3. Don't care

4. Don't care

5. Don't care

Be proud of shooting a good score no matter what the conditions were. It's hard to break milestones and you've got to ease your way into it. There's a reason the college 3-point line is shorter and little league plays on smaller fields. If you can manage a course at 5100 yards, you can develop the principles to manage it at 6100 and 7100 once your swing fundamentals catch up.

Great work! Keep it up!

• Like 4

1. Don't care

2. Don't care

3. Don't care

4. Don't care

5. Don't care

Be proud of shooting a good score no matter what the conditions were. It's hard to break milestones and you've got to ease your way into it. There's a reason the college 3-point line is shorter and little league plays on smaller fields. If you can manage a course at 5100 yards, you can develop the principles to manage it at 6100 and 7100 once your swing fundamentals catch up.

Great work! Keep it up!

Got it .. thanks for the encouragement!!!

OK, so this past weekend I was able to scratch out a 95 ... 45 on the Front 9 (best 9-Hole score to date), and 50 on the Back 9 (slightly worse than my recent 9-Hole avg at about 48).

Very happy with the end result, of course, but there are a few caveats...

1. Played from the forward tees with my wife; it was just under 5100 yds.

2. There's no Men's Rating for the Red tees but for the Whites, at (only) 5835 yds, it's 67.5/121. So not a terribly difficult course.

3. In fact, this muni course is very "user friendly"; eg. generally wide fairways which were dry so you got extra rollout, rough was cut short and also was dry so you couldn't lose your ball and it was easy to get out and you got some extra rollout there too, and the bunkers were also dry and hard-packed so it was more like chipping out.

4. No major elevation changes (a few small ones) and not really any blind shots.

5. Gave myself a "free" ;-) first tee Mulligan (that's a 'thing', right?); otherwise counted everything. First tee shot was playable, I'd topped it, but I wanted to start out better (and there was no one behind us).

Actually thought I might have been on my way to getting close to a 90 .. my next goal. But I had a three hole stretch (#14, 15, 16) where I earned myself an add'l +10 strokes .. so still have some work to do!

Very nice - now keep repeating - next goal 90?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Very nice - now keep repeating - next goal 90?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Thanks!! And, yes - would be happy to be at 90 consistently!

(or, well, for a little while anyway until we put that in the rearview mirror on the way to Lo 80s)

Thought I might have had a shot at it that last round .. until I didn't! We'll see how it goes this weekend!!

• 1 month later...

OK.. *almost* broke 90...

Had a "provisional" 89. Played with a buddy and we gave ourselves a few Mulligans and a few do-over shots. Story is here...

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/index.php?/topic/6351-How'd-you-play?#entry337058

Getting closer!

• Like 2

Nice job surfer! Just shoot 86 next time and you won't have to worry about the provisionals

• Like 2

Nice job surfer! Just shoot 86 next time and you won't have to worry about the provisionals

Oh, no problem - all I have to do is only count the *good* shots
  • Like 1