GolfSpy Dave

Heading Back to Bandon Dunes

Have you done the Solstice?

I'd love to try but have not been able to do that yet. Probably need to soon before the body gets too old

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Lol..good stuff...Im cheap like Kenny. I can do it on a day trip if I desire. Feb in Bandon can be great and not so great.

Being cheap just sounds so... cheap.  Maybe we should think of ourselves as frugal.  When rates are cheaper, then I can play more rounds!!  Weather can be quite pleasant in the winter IF you can head out quickly at a moments notice.

Have fun guys!!  Hope you have a great trip!!!

• Like 2

Jealous but but away the Basil Hayden's and grab some 4 Roses single barrel or some Eagle Rare (by Buffalo Trace). You're welcome.

• Like 1

I just moved back to Oregon and it is definitely on the list of "to do's" in the next year or two.  I left Oregon 29 years ago and who would have thought that it is a golf "destination" now for many people around the world.  Hope you had a great trip and thanks for the advice!

• Like 1

Heading to Bandon for the first time August 29 thru September 2. I can't wait. Need to go get some rain gear. Have been working on fitness for all the walking. Should be a great time.

Heading to Bandon for the first time August 29 thru September 2. I can't wait. Need to go get some rain gear. Have been working on fitness for all the walking. Should be a great time.

You probably don't need rain gear. I'd say that 90% of first timers show up with rain gear and umbrellas during the summer. It just doesn't rain much in the summers, like ever. The lost and found has 1000s of umbrellas that have been left unused over the years.

Get yourself some comfortable shoes with good insoles, walking Bandon is about like walking on a parking lot. Chap stick for the wind is helpful, yellow golf balls so you can see them in the marine haze are nice, and some good friends for the memories.

But rain gear, eh. You can check the forecast before you go, but it is usually warm and dry that time of year.

Also, getting a caddy is a worthy investment. If your group doesn't want to do caddies (I get it, it does bring an added cost), I'd really recommend getting a forecaddie for the group, you won't regret it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

There are no adequate words to describe the incredible golf experience of Bandon Dunes. We stayed the Wed-Sun and the weather was spectacular. I played in shorts, golf short and light cover and was comfortable during all rounds. Cooler in evenings. YES ... chapstick and good socks. Took a good week for my lips to recover from the wind burn. You will probably play 36 holes a day ... you are walking all of it. Make sure you have comfortable shoes and socks. The health app on my phone had me at almost 40 miles of walking through the 5 days and the equivalent of 50 flights of stairs. No, it's not flat. If you can, get a caddie or forecaddie, especially if it's your first time. Their insight and knowledge will save you a LOT of aggravation and golf balls.

Bandon - 9.jpg

Bandon - 23.jpg

Bandon - 25.jpg

Bandon - 28.jpg

Bandon - 30.jpg

Bandon - 31.jpg

IMG_0453.jpeg

IMG_0458.jpeg

IMG_0463.jpeg

• Like 4

Never played there, but it sure sounds/looks cool.  I don't recall any PGA or LPGA events having been played there but has that U.S. Open look to it.  It's relative remoteness makes that unlikely.

3 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Never played there, but it sure sounds/looks cool.  I don't recall any PGA or LPGA events having been played there but has that U.S. Open look to it.  It's relative remoteness makes that unlikely.

You need to go!  It's an experience.

Bandon could not host the pros; no population center to support it.  But they have hosted a number of USGA amateur events; Public Links, Mid-Ams, and a Curtis Cup.  It will host the US Amateur in 2020. 

Going there a month from now.  Looking to buy some rain pants, but think my softshell northface should be adequate for jacket as it's fairly stretchy and waterproof.  Thanks for giving some pointers on your experiences and what to look for and what would be smart to pack.  

• Like 1

For me, it's a much shorter drive to Bandon than it is to Denver International Airport 😄  😄

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Daily Deals

• Sponsors

• Our Sponsors

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    RandysPenas

• By cksurfdude
      A place where golf is just fun.... (and only fun!)
      From a Callaway Golf newsletter - one segment in their series about "Golf Lives" showcases a laid-back Par 3 outside of Portland...
      https://cmp.callawaygolf.com/2018/10/behind-the-film-golf-needs-more-places-like-edgefield/?ssoid=68D791C4-D144-40DD-9116-B0ABF1BFC0ED
      Kinda place where I wanna play!! 
      PS:
      Look for the homemade "Tube" with integrated and gimbaled cup holder.
    • By GolfSpy Stroker
      I played each day in OR from TU april 2nd - SU April Apr 8th and managed to avoid rain.
      If you've ever been to the PNW you know that this is quite the accomplishment!

The weather was iffy for the week at Bandon so we skipped it (if I'm paying THAT much there's no way I'm going in questionable weather..)

I did a lot of searches and asked on the forum for some suggestions and got some great ideas. I wish it could have been 2 weeks, but alas...

It was just me and my buddy. We were best friends in high school and hadn't seen each other in almost 30 years so it was a reunion of sorts.  

He has a bad back so he has to ride in a cart but that was okay because we played 6 days in a row and I'm not sure if even I could have walked all 6 days.

So my challenge was to find the best courses in OR that aren't in Bandon and time the weather right so that we aren't playing in a soaking rain .... add to that finding the best price with a cart and it was quite a challenge, but with a lot of driving we pulled it off.

Here's what we did.  

MO - 
      landed at Portland around 1; played a little 9 holer to get loose.

TU - 
      played Pumpkin Ridge ghost creek...got a good deal on GolfNow for 2 w/cart at 50.00 each....anyone who tells you Pumpkin Ridge is in Portland is lying.  It's "near" Portland; out in farmland.
      There are two 18 hole courses/1 private and 1 public; the course we played was fantastic...I couldn't get over how green and lush everything was and the trees were awesome.  really fun course with some great holes and there was nobody behind us or in front so we could take our time and have fun. Awesome flags on the pins! (BTW - they had fake coyotes on the fwy to scare the geese away; they look awfully real until you're right up on them!)

drove from Portland to Bend OR (162 mi)

WE - 
      played at Sunriver Meadows in Bend...got a great deal on GolfNow for 2 w/cart at 45 each. 
      It started off cold...there were still little spots of snow on the ground and the wind was strong. we each had to go into the clubhouse and get pullovers to wear; my buddy is bald so he grabbed a beanie. 
      A local member ended up joining us and it was a fun and different course.  The grass in the rough was really coarse so your ball ended up sitting up on it...that was cool.  We played another 18 by ourselves and the guy in the clubhouse said to just go ahead..no charge. My buddy ended up at 79/74 - his best 2 rounds.

TH -
      played at Pronghorn in Bend (Nicklaus design)...got a super deal on teeoff.com for 2 w/cart at 33 each.
      Outside of Bandon this is usually the highest rated course in OR (or maybe Pumpkin) and I could see why. This place was amazing and the layout was awesome. You could tell that Jack has a specific way that he wants you to play certain holes but there are always options to go for it.  We played by ourselves again - nobody in front or behind - and had a great day. The fairways were like carpets...I wanted to lay down and take a nap. One of the best courses I've ever played and I had a chance for my first sub-80 round ever but missed a slippery downhill 10 footer for an 80.  I was over the moon with that score on that course. An awesome day.

drove to Eugene from Bend (130 mi) and then from Eugene to Medford (167 mi)

FR -
      Met a friend from high school that we used to hang out with and played a fun 18 hole course with some great elevation changes and beautiful vistas. he isn't very good - shoots 100+ - so we weren't being too serious and just having fun hanging out...again - nobody around us and the weather was fine.  There were some pretty aggressive turkeys on one of the holes!  He treated us as "clients" so the golf was free. 

drove from Medford to Klamath Falls (75 mi)

SA -
      played at Running Y Ranch in Klamath Falls (Palmer design)...found a good deal on Groupon that ended up being 36 each with cart.
      We were the only group out and soon found out why. There were some serious squalls that blow through but they last about 5-10 minutes. This course was designed by A. Palmer and was so beautiful. It wasn't as narrow as Jack's design but he made sure you were accurate on your approach shots. The weather cleared out after a few holes and it was amazing.  The scenery is incredible.

drove back to Eugene from K Falls (175 mi) and to Florence from Eugene the next day (60 mi)

SU - 
      planned to play at one of my buddies fav courses - Sandpines - but it was walking only due to the recent rain so we headed over to a neat little course called Ocean Dunes.  Couldn't find a deal online for this one but it was only 40 each with a cart.  We were all alone again and this place had some awfully narrow fairways.  You really had to be accurate or you could easily end up in big trouble.  My buddy lost more than a couple of his Volviks!  This place had one of the coolest benches I'd seen - some recycled trees.  A lot of fun and some neat tee boxes with some cool "chutes" that you hit out of...kinda like on tour (haha!)

drove back to Eugene from Florence (60 mi)

That was it!  800+ miles, 6 days and 6 great courses and, for the most part, weather wasn't an issue.
      We never had to wait on a single tee box, we didn't have anyone pushing us from behind and we only played one round with another person (who was really friendly so it was no big deal).
      I can't recall a more enjoyable time!

There were definitely some courses I missed - Tetherow, Sunriver crosswater, Sandpines, Tokatee, etc. - but we played some awesome courses and got phenomenal deals on them.  I would definitely love to do Pronghorn again...my buddy moved from AZ/NM and he said it reminded him of some of the courses out there.

Oh yeah - I also played pretty well for it being my first rounds of the year!  My scores were 87/84/80/84/83/81...(I've never shot in the 70's but I keep getting close!)

We're already planning to meet up in AZ next year !!

Sorry for the long post and all the pics...thanks for hanging in there if you made it this far. 

• By Big5AfricaSafaris.com
      Hi there!

Really informative site this - so full of excellent content! Looking forward to interacting with the members.  To get to know me a bit better, I have recently started a FaceBook group and it's a great forum to share travel, golf stories and reviews on there as well, so feel free to join. https://www.facebook.com/groups/SunsetAfricanSafariandGolf/

Cheers,

Paul

• By Mjb70
      Hello to all. I'm Mike and I'm starting back playing golf after a 7 year break and have been amazed at all the new kit thats available. Yet, if you go into golf superstore, you still get the same sales folk waffle.. 
      Just had first lesson and feeling pretty good and motivated..
      Using my golf as a way to maintain both physical and mental health. its a great game to do this
    • By jerhall
      Should anyone be looking for help deciding on their Golf trip travel plans .. I have worked in the golf travel business for the past 25 years. I know the UK and Ireland (I am an Englishman).. and the Caribbean especially well and practically every US Golf destination. Send me your questions I'll be happy to answer ...
  • Recent Topics

• Latest from the Blog

• Happy Birthday Today!