SoutheastLefty

High Handicap Fitting Experience: Frustrating

For your 3 wood fit I would consider the courses you play and see what strategy will best fit your game. Do you need something less than driver off the tee or do you mostly use it for second shots on par 5s or long par 4s?

• Like 1

That really sucks, but remember this, golf fitters and golf coaches are like doctors, they know about the subject than you do and probably will help you, but if their bedside manner doesn't help you too, find one who does. Sounds like you still need quite a bit of work in your swing, which don't we all, but you're right, the equipment that fits your skill level will help.

I would encourage you to think about this, at what point in your bag do you lose return on your swing. What I mean by this, is at what point does hitting a long club stop benefiting you? I carried a 3 wood and a 4 hybrid for a long time. For that time it hurt me, because going for the green from over 200 yards was not something my swing was good enough to do. My coach suggested I throw out the 3 wood and 4 hybrid and we going my point of finding return was my 5 hybrid. I now carry a driver and the next club is a 5 hybrid, which I hit about 200 yards, I added some more wedges father down in the bag and my scores improved. So think about maybe ditching those woods or really long irons if you aren't hitting them well enough to justify their place in your bag

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

That really sucks, but remember this, golf fitters and golf coaches are like doctors, they know about the subject than you do and probably will help you, but if their bedside manner doesn't help you too, find one who does. Sounds like you still need quite a bit of work in your swing, which don't we all, but you're right, the equipment that fits your skill level will help.

I would encourage you to think about this, at what point in your bag do you lose return on your swing. What I mean by this, is at what point does hitting a long club stop benefiting you? I carried a 3 wood and a 4 hybrid for a long time. For that time it hurt me, because going for the green from over 200 yards was not something my swing was good enough to do. My coach suggested I throw out the 3 wood and 4 hybrid and we going my point of finding return was my 5 hybrid. I now carry a driver and the next club is a 5 hybrid, which I hit about 200 yards, I added some more wedges father down in the bag and my scores improved. So think about maybe ditching those woods or really long irons if you aren't hitting them well enough to justify their place in your bag

Great feedback. I think my approach here will be to play the 5W a bit and see where I get with that club before getting fit for the 3W. Currently, my old 5W is a club I'm very comfortable with, so I'm not worried about not hitting that club well. 

But I hear you on the 3W. TXG also just did a video on this, where they speak to a similar line of thought. 

Based on this timely video and your advice, I'm going to get comfortable with my 5W and Driver and see if there's really a gap there. As you suspect, I think I may get more value by eliminating a longer iron with a hybrid on the lower side of the bag. 

• Like 2

Great feedback. I think my approach here will be to play the 5W a bit and see where I get with that club before getting fit for the 3W. Currently, my old 5W is a club I'm very comfortable with, so I'm not worried about not hitting that club well.

But I hear you on the 3W. TXG also just did a video on this, where they speak to a similar line of thought.

Based on this timely video and your advice, I'm going to get comfortable with my 5W and Driver and see if there's really a gap there. As you suspect, I think I may get more value by eliminating a longer iron with a hybrid on the lower side of the bag.

This is exactly what I was going to say. We didn't spend any time on FW at my TXG fitting. But I watched the same video you did. And my 5w out of the FW is a pretty consistent 190 club. Maybe it will get to 200 or so when I get consistent with my new swing path and face angle.

And I'm straight enough off the tee with the driver, there really isn't a need for it there either. So I'd rather use that spot on the low end of the bag with another wedge perhaps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with your point, I guess it's that I just don't understand logic in putting your bag together.

I mean I get it, like many golfers you didn't hit your 3-wood well enough to justify it's place in your bag.

But that's where you lose me.

You had a 2 to 3 club gap between your 3-wood and your 4-hybrid, which I suppose is manageable.

But instead of swapping out your 3-wood for a 5-wood, which is easier to hit, you chose to ditch your 3-wood and 4-hybrid and created a 5 to 6 club and yardage gap between your driver and 5-hybrid (which is only a 5-iron replacement). ... It's one thing to scale back your shot selection, but to eliminate clubs from your bag just because you can't go for the green with them (and now can't tee off with them either) just doesn't make a lot of sense.

So was your motivation to get down to a bag with only 10 or 11 clubs, or do you have 8 wedges?

If he hits the 3W, 4W, 5W and 4 hybrid all the same distance, which entirely possible. Then he doesn't have a 4 club gap. And a 5 hybrid is not a 5 iron replacement, it more often replaces a 4 iron due to loft and distances.

It doesn't have to make sense to you. It only has to make sense to him and his professional.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

But that's why I was asking him, as it doesn't make sense to me, and I didn't ask you.

And 5-hybrids are intended as 5-iron replacements, it's why their lofts are similar - as well as the number on the soles, because to do otherwise would cause confusion. ;)

First, when you post on a public forum, you are allowing everyone to contribute their thoughts. If you only want an answer from a specific individual, you are more than welcome to use the PM feature.

Second, hybrids consistently go farther than their iron counterparts. While the numbers on the bottom may be the same, they are roughly 10 (at least for me) yards longer, which could mean the difference between hitting and missing the green.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 4

First, when you post on a public forum, you are allowing everyone to contribute their thoughts. If you only want an answer from a specific individual, you are more than welcome to use the PM feature.

Second, hybrids consistently go farther than their iron counterparts. While the numbers on the bottom may be the same, they are roughly 10 (at least for me) yards longer, which could mean the difference between hitting and missing the green.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I agree they aren't true iron replacements. Most hybrids are designed for distance because that's what sells. Outside of titleist 816/818 and the Callaway Apex (haven't looked into their more recent releases) were designed more for true iron replacements and why titleist swapped from releasing them with their woods to releasing with their irons.

I was just having a conversation with a ping fitter about the subject of loft in hybrid. I told him I don't care what the number or loft on the hybrid is, I want it to go a certain distance range so because of design and launch/spin characteristics it could be a 19,21 or a tweaked loft in between.

• Like 3

At OP: Great write up. I think the value at the end of the day was that you found a store and a fitter that you like. Given the shiny factor of new clubs, and the heroin addiction that is golf, having both is a good thing.

As for your 3 wood dilemma, I think you have lots of options. And I think we will all be curious which you end up choosing.

I don't think I saw a WITB for your set. But I'd guess for most of us, having another wedge will get a lot more use than having a 3 wood. If you think your wedges are in a good spot, and you like all your distance gaps through your 5w, I'd recommend the Ping 3W stretch. It is the answer for those times when you need to hit a fairway and don't mind losing 15 yards off your driver.

Still, great post. A learning experience for all of us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

You left out the 3h.

And while I suppose one could hit a 3w, 4w, 5w, 7w, 3h, and 4h the same distance, but I guess you're suggesting someone that hits it a very short distance.

But that's why I was asking him, as it doesn't make sense to me, and I didn't ask you.

And 5-hybrids are intended as 5-iron replacements, it's why their lofts are similar - as well as the number on the soles, because to do otherwise would cause confusion. ;)

But I'm not looking for a fight, just trying to glean more info from Brjpool.

Chill brother. I was offering information I have lesrned from many fitters. Including the 5 hybrid comment. Most fitters will tell you the average amateur hits it one club further than the iron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm cool, but sorry bro, that's just a misinterpretation that leads to misunderstandings, and how myths are perpetuated. ... And 23 years later people still get confused.

I'm not spreading myths or misinterpreting anything. Maybe that was the design thought 23 years ago. I'm just relaying what Ive seen from sitting in on hundreds of OEM fittings the past couple years.

• Like 1

I today's golf marketplace the number on the bottom is meaning less. The lengths of clubs, cog, and lofts all contribute to distance. As a consumer you need to find out which clubs fly the distance that you need and allow you to repeat the ball flight.

In my experience the equivalent fairway wood flies farther than the equivalent hybrid which flies farther than the equivalent iron. Mostly the reason is ball height, and length of the club.

• Like 4

I today's golf marketplace the number on the bottom is meaning less. The lengths of clubs, cog, and lofts all contribute to distance. As a consumer you need to find out which clubs fly the distance that you need and allow you to repeat the ball flight.

In my experience the equivalent fairway wood flies farther than the equivalent hybrid which flies farther than the equivalent iron. Mostly the reason is ball height, and length of the club.

And I think this helps point to why getting fit for your game matters, rather than just looking at averages of what the number on the bottom of the club does.

• Like 2

At least all three fitters did mention the negative attack angle. Fitters can be greedy. We want to make sure that you're getting the absolute best out of your new clubs. I've asked many people “We have found some things that are definitely better than what you have, but is it $X better than what you currently have?” If the money doesn't make sense, I'll refer people back to lessons. Fitters are trying to make money, but we are trying to get repeat customers as well. Glad the new driver is working out for you!

• Like 1

I agree with your point, I guess it's that I just don't understand logic in putting your bag together.

I mean I get it, like many golfers you didn't hit your 3-wood well enough to justify it's place in your bag.

But that's where you lose me.

You had a 2 to 3 club gap between your 3-wood and your 4-hybrid, which I suppose is manageable.

But instead of swapping out your 3-wood for a 5-wood, which is easier to hit, you chose to ditch your 3-wood and 4-hybrid and created a 5 to 6 club and yardage gap between your driver and 5-hybrid (which is only a 5-iron replacement). ... It's one thing to scale back your shot selection, but to eliminate clubs from your bag just because you can't go for the green with them (and now can't tee off with them either) just doesn't make a lot of sense.

So was your motivation to get down to a bag with only 10 or 11 clubs, or do you have 8 wedges?

Alright, sorry it has taken so long for me to get back to your comment. First off to the argument, this is only what works for me and may not be for anyone else. It's just what I found works for me. I have what would be considered a huge gap in the bag. I drive the ball 260-270 consistently. My five hybrid goes about 190. I only carry 11 clubs currently but 2 more wedges are in the works. I simply going that I hit a 3w, 5w poorly and a 7w just as far as my 5h. So I just found that I didn't hit those clubs well and I just work my way around the course using those clubs.

Ping G20 driver through wedges

Bombtech blade putter