Does getting extremely fit benefit a golfer?

Gg Owen

I'm at a loss on this debate.There have been many a fine pro that somewhat Ignored the work out bug. John Daly- Jack Nicklaus -Craig Stadler- and many other major winners.And some players like David Duval completely disappeared from his dominance.Even Tiger Woods and Rory's play was in question when they hit the weights hard.Is getting in shape and a physical specimen really necessary. My thinking is lifting weights and above average flexibility just isn't necessary.What is your thinking on this

I'm at a loss on this debate.There have been many a fine pro that somewhat Ignored the work out bug. John Daly- Jack Nicklaus -Craig Stadler- and many other major winners.And some players like David Duval completely disappeared from his dominance.Even Tiger Woods and Rory's play was in question when they hit the weights hard.Is getting in shape and a physical specimen really necessary. My thinking is lifting weights and above average flexibility just isn't necessary.What is your thinking on this

Sounds like you want to hit the gym hard or you want to quit the gym. Ha.

Personally I consider myself a gym rat and days following an intense or heavy lifting day does affect my golf durability. It wasn't until recently ive alternated my fitness routine to include cardio and flexibility the day before a scheduled tee time and it's actually improved my stamina especially if I'm walking. But I have done last minute twilights after a leg day and yup...no bueno.

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I'd ask Gary Player what he thinks about this subject. What does he do, like 1,000 push ups a day still and a million sit ups at 88 (?) years young?

Sent from my coral using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I'd ask Gary Player what he thinks about this subject. What does he do, like 1,000 push ups a day still and a million sit ups at 88 (?) years young?

Sent from my coral using MyGolfSpy mobile app

True, but those are “core” exercises, and he doesn't bulk up at the gym. I think we can all agree that being fit is benefit for sure.

bulking up makes you less flexible to a point. Personally I think that bulking up has hurt many players in the long run. Being fit and flexible seems to be the way to go nowadays. As the OP mentioned, Duval was playing great in the late 90's and he bulked up I've the offseason and then disappeared from the Golf world. Tiger's bulking up hurt him as well. I look a Koepka and think he may be in line for some injuries with as much as he's bulked up.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

There's the Duf era, Sadlers, pat Perez types that eat whatever and don't have the “athletic build”, then there's JT, scheiderjans and others that are lanky and then you got the tiger, dj and koepkas of the world. There's lots of ways to go about getting the ball in the hole. I personally enjoy how I feel having a lifestyle where I'm in the gym 4-5 times a week and the increased energy and benefits to my game that have come from it. I do the big compound movements and to date after about 2.5 years haven't had any ill effects.

I think being in shape has many benefits in a day to day basis and in golf but it really comes down to the person

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Fitness and golf are on compeletely different spectrums in the amateur game.The golfers I know, come up with every excuse why not to exercise.And just about every golfer I play with looks extremely out of shape.But yet they beat me like a drumb all the time.And have unbelievable hand eye coordination.Im starting to think some activities like golf and fishing attract the unfit crowd.Must be the lack of actually moving (except leaving a golf cart or fishing boat) that agrees with them.Being healthy and feeling good about oneself is where it is at.No matter a golfer or not

Great example of a good golfer who thinks fitness isn't needed.And actually he brings up valid points

Keep it in the short stuff

Jack?

Not a fair comparison, Gary Player aside it wasn't done in his day. Jack was in better shape than he often gets credit for, a stellar athlete in high school and a very good tennis player.

I can't hurt to be in good shape - defining what golf shape is may be still in flux. Pro Football linemen are in great shape for what they do but it's not ideal for life nor for other sports. The smart ones loose lots of weight when their playing days are over.

I doubt very many of us have the time to get in the kind of shape that would cause problems for our games. We'd all do well to work on our fitness. And we would play better golf.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Working out being strong helps the long drive guys. The pga pros need flexibility so my guess their doing movements to help with being flexible with very little Strength. Being strong as a golf doesn't help. Yeah brooks is a bigger guy but Probably not that strong

Working out being strong helps the long drive guys. The pga pros need flexibility so my guess their doing movements to help with being flexible with very little Strength. Being strong as a golf doesn't help. Yeah brooks is a bigger guy but Probably not that strong

He benched 315 for reps before his pga championship round. Several of these guys are doing the compound movements of squats, deadlifts and bench. The big compound movements are good for flexibility and mobility

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

That is a great video Ed. I agree with Rev, either one spends hours in the gym. Or spends the hours on the golf course. Hard mixing and matching and dedicating time to both.But all of us can diet and improve our eating and overall lifestyles.

Keep it in the short stuff

While strength and overall fitness are important for everyone, I'd suggest that flexibility is more of an asset to a golfer then being muscled up. AFAIK, yoga is the best way to get golf fit.

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I'd agree on the flexibility. I started a yoga for golf program over the winter and continue to use exercises especially as a warm up before league. Never believed in it until I tried it.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Respectfully, but completely, disagree. For the pros being fit can give you an edge - eg. Dustin Johnson, Brooks Koepka. For the average recreational golfer being fit can ONLY help you move .. and thus, swing .. better.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I wouldn't consider bench pressing a good example of a compound movement. But again bench pressing that much Is dumb for golf

Bench press involved shoulders, chest, back, triceps, legs and glutes. There's a reason it's part of the big 3 or 4 (if you include the overhead press). Benching that much isn't bad for golf or anything really.

12 oz. curls are the likely limit for most of this crew.

Ha, good one! But see: I've been working out and have stepped up to 16 oz curls...

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Muscular strength, endurance, flexibility, body composition and cardio respiratory fitness all contribute towards maximizing your athletic performance. And yes that means performance on the golf course as well. Performing activities that improve the aforementioned athletic qualities is hard work and sustained success takes smart work.

From 8 to 80, blind, crippled or crazy you can improve in each of these areas if YOU make the decision to do so. Will participating in a regular fitness routine make you a better golfer? No! But it will improve the conditions for you to become a better golfer and most importantly you will become a much healthier person.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Muscular strength, endurance, flexibility, body composition and cardio respiratory fitness all contribute towards maximizing your athletic performance. And yes that means performance on the golf course as well. Performing activities that improve the aforementioned athletic qualities is hard work and sustained success takes smart work.

From 8 to 80, blind, crippled or crazy you can improve in each of these areas if YOU make the decision to do so. Will participating in a regular fitness routine make you a better golfer? No! But it will improve the conditions for you to become a better golfer and most importantly you will become a much healthier person.

Excellent and exactly my point and.... Im sure it will make you a better golfer.

I know that my fitness level impacts how well I can or can't do what my teacher is asking me to do. I'm guessing that's the same with a touring pro, perhaps more so.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Being physically fit is beneficial if for no other reason than to maintain your health and from a golf standpoint it limits fatigue and pain long term. I'm focusing on fitness especially in my back due to a family history of serious back problems (21 year old brother already has issues with his...) and I can tell a big difference in how I feel after golf and even the next day versus when I wasn't working on fitness. Im not a big gym rat and never will be but I do have a routine for strength and flexibility that I stick to.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I used to play tennis in my junior years and my coach was against lifting. He said, however, I should do 1 hour of stretching for every 30 mins of heavy lifting.l to balance it out.

That was about 15 years ago. And personally, the only part of my body where I wish I had more flexibility is my lower back to rotate more. Granted, I'm just fat now :lol:

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I'm now 62 and in the worst shape of my life.

But am shooting the best golf, and a tourney bass fisherman.

Go figure. I might as well go bowling

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Archived