Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

TV Help!!! Cord cutting needs?

PMookie

We’re moving and cutting the cord, so I need to make sure we have compatible TVs. What do we need to make sure we can watch and have a GOOD picture? 120HZ? 60HZ ok? 4K??? How many HDMI inputs? USB ports?

Help! I gotta buy 2, so any help you can give will be great!!!!

Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I'd go with the highest quality you can afford plus one that has multiple hdmi ports with a minimum of 2. Also we didn't pay as much attention to the refresh speed because we don't use the TV's for gaming

We chose to buy smart tv's a few years ago, however, I can tell you there is a big difference in ease of use between manufacturers menus (for streaming). We have LG, Sony and Samsung tv's. The LG has the least friendly menu system. Because of that we have chosen to plug in Roku streaming sticks to make sure the menu system is consistent around the house (it also replaced our second gen Apple TV).

From a streaming source our first preference is Netflix we also have Sling Tv (with the sports option which has GC). We just cancelled the regular Hulu channel.

Good luck - FYI we'll never go back to regular cable tv.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Depending on the package you go with, assuming you are not just going to Netflix, local channels are starting to become available.

When I first went to PS Vue and now DTVnow I only had CBS so I got the Hd antenna which always worked ok but now DTVnow has Abc, nbc, fox and cbs so I’m good.

My only problem is I’m a little anal so when I’m watching my Vols, Braves, or Panthers I have to stay off twitter because the stream is usually about 20-30 secs behind.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

Even though this topic is seeking advice for cutting of the cord - so to speak; I'm not ready to do that. The cord cutting market so to speak is too cut-up IMO. Too many hardware choices and various subscriptions to fool with. Until the day comes when it's unified/consolidated and where all various hardwares are essentially the same I'll keep the old cable (actually DTV for me) service. Yes, it's sorta expensive in that I have to pay for way too many channels than I want and never watch. But it works great and I get my TV my way without compromise. But again, it's expensive and I pay for stuff I never watch or want. So be it.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I have a Sony 4K 65” tv with multiple HDMI inputs, a Yamaha 4K compatible receiver, a 500 mbps internet connection and a Apple TV 4k.

My modem is near my tv so everything is hardwired for the fastest speeds in my living room. I connect the Apple TV to the receiver and pass it through to my tv. My tv won’t accept an incoming 4k signal on the HDMI 1 port for some reason so it is hooked into the HDMI 2 port on the tv and I run all apps including Directv Now through the Apple TV.

We also have a cheap roku tv in the upstairs bedroom we run on WiFi. I wish I was set up for a stronger signal in the bedroom so I’d like to fix that but we aren’t doing any heavy watching in there. That tv is only a 32” 720 hd tv so 4K isn’t a concern in there. It only buffers if I’m doing any heavy internet searching on my iPad and the 5g WiFi signal in there is weak.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 11/11/2018 at 1:39 PM, Middler said:

We cut the cord almost a year ago, and we’ve been thrilled. We use Roku streaming devices and PlayStation Vue for $50/mo, 3 TV’s, cloud DVR and we have over 60 channels including all 5 live locals. The cord cutting market is NOT  “too cut-up with too many hardware choices and various subscriptions to fool with” at all anymore. No more complicated than cable or satellite. There are lots of good choices, far better value than cable or satellite - there’s a good reason they’re all losing more and more subscribers after year.

OP:

• There’s not much 4K TV content, most is 720p with some 1080p, a 4K TV won’t make any difference unless it’s native 4K content. If you watch a lot of on demand movies like Netflix, 4K is available though. Most people coudln’t tell the difference between 1080p HD vs 4K unless there comparing side by side on large screens (at least 55”).
  • 60Hz is fine for most programming, 120Hz is better for sports or other fast action, but again if the content is 25Hz, 30Hz or 60Hz, a 120Hz TV doesn’t help.
  • You’d want at least 2 HDMI ports, and not all HDMI ports support 4K, so make sure you check. My main TV has 4 HDMI ports, but only 1 supports 4K.
  • I don’t use any USB ports for streaming, though some streamers (Roku, Amazon Fire, Apple TV, Chromecast, etc.) can use USB as their power source, though I think they’ll all plug into 120V so USB isn’t necessary.
  • You proabably know your alternatives for live broadcast streaming are PlayStation Vue (you don’t need a PlayStation), DirecTV Now, Hulu Live, YouTube TV, Sling TV, Philo TV mostly. What channels you’ll get are specific to your location, especially if you want live local ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox - so you MUST check. And simultaneous streams (watching more than 1 TV) vary for live streaming providers, so does cloud DVR.
  • And you probably want to make sure your internet connection is at least 25 Mbps for 1080p, more for a lot of 4K.

This is a solid summary. Only thing I would add is that often times 120hz panels are just 60hz with frame insertion to help smooth out the picture. It's almost like when an OEM says this year's driver is faster than last year's, but don't tell you that they added an inch to the shaft. Also, 120hz isn't for everyone, and you can get that soap opera effect that some folks don't like. My TV has 120hz "motion rate" and I had to turn it off because it made me feel nauseous.

Further, https://www.rtings.com/tv has been where I've been getting my tv recs from for the past 6 years.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I’ll be honest, we have 4 different TV’s, we have Roku’s for 3 of them the other is an LG smart tv. All of them work just fine with the Roku. We use slingtv. I know several people who use Directvnow and they like it. You just have to make sure that whichever service you use that they offer the channels you want. I was checking FUBO tv and it supposed to be sports oriented, but it doesn’t have any of the ESPN channels available. So that’s a no go. You just need good WiFi.

tou could try several of hem and see which one you like best, they all seem to have a 7 day free trial. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

We cut the cord almost a year ago, and we’ve been thrilled. We use Roku streaming devices and PlayStation Vue for $50/mo, 3 TV’s, cloud DVR and we have over 60 channels including all 5 live locals. The cord cutting market is NOT  “too cut-up with too many hardware choices and various subscriptions to fool with” at all anymore. No more complicated than cable or satellite. There are lots of good choices, far better value than cable or satellite - there’s a good reason they’re all losing more and more subscribers after year.
OP:
  • There’s not much 4K TV content, most is 720p with some 1080p, a 4K TV won’t make any difference unless it’s native 4K content. If you watch a lot of on demand movies like Netflix, 4K is available though. Most people coudln’t tell the difference between 1080p HD vs 4K unless there comparing side by side on large screens (at least 55”).
  • 60Hz is fine for most programming, 120Hz is better for sports or other fast action, but again if the content is 25Hz, 30Hz or 60Hz, a 120Hz TV doesn’t help.
  • You’d want at least 2 HDMI ports, and not all HDMI ports support 4K, so make sure you check. My main TV has 4 HDMI ports, but only 1 supports 4K.
  • I don’t use any USB ports for streaming, though some streamers (Roku, Amazon Fire, Apple TV, Chromecast, etc.) can use USB as their power source, though I think they’ll all plug into 120V so USB isn’t necessary.
  • You proabably know your alternatives for live broadcast streaming are PlayStation Vue (you don’t need a PlayStation), DirecTV Now, Hulu Live, YouTube TV, Sling TV, Philo TV mostly. What channels you’ll get are specific to your location, especially if you want live local ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox - so you MUST check. And simultaneous streams (watching more than 1 TV) vary for live streaming providers, so does cloud DVR.
  • And you probably want to make sure your internet connection is at least 25 Mbps for 1080p, more for a lot of 4K.

Awesome! Thanks!!!

This is a solid summary. Only thing I would add is that often times 120hz panels are just 60hz with frame insertion to help smooth out the picture. It's almost like when an OEM says this year's driver is faster than last year's, but don't tell you that they added an inch to the shaft. Also, 120hz isn't for everyone, and you can get that soap opera effect that some folks don't like. My TV has 120hz "motion rate" and I had to turn it off because it made me feel nauseous.

Further, https://www.rtings.com/tv has been where I've been getting my tv recs from for the past 6 years.

That’s my concern is the “soap opera effect”. So 60HZ keeps that from happening???

3 hours ago, PMookie said:

That’s my concern is the “soap opera effect”. So 60HZ keeps that from happening???

Yeah, that effect is from the motion being smoothed out. I don't know if you get that same effect if it's a NATIVE 120hz panel. My computer monitor is 120hz, but like @Middler said, there's not much content that uses high-speed framerate cameras, I don't even think 60fps cameras are utilized much yet outside of YouTube vloggers. The only time you might experience it would be if you're watching Blurays.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

We have DirecTV Now with Firesticks on 2 TV's and a Roku on the third. Overall I've been happy with it. I prefer the layout and usability of the Firestick a little better than the Roku, but I like that the Roku remote has shortcut buttons.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

On 11/11/2018 at 6:39 PM, Middler said:

OP:

We dropped DirecTV in October 2011 in favor of "cutting the cord".  I don't have much to add to this^^^^^.  Very nicely summed up. 

The only two things I would add is, it's been my experience some folks overlook internet equipment.  The rented equipment from your ISP can (and often is) outdated and limiting your streaming potential.  I purchased my own equipment about a year after we cut the cord.  At the moment, I have Arris Surfboard SB6190 with Google Wifi.  I love how simple it is and how I have complete control through the App on my phone.  And I don't have to pay an equipment rental fee to my ISP!  

I will also add, TCL brand TV's are made by the company that owns Roku and have been outstanding for us.  Mohu is also a Roku company.  Those little Mohu leaf antenna's pick up 22 HD quality channels over the air at my house.  I've had one for 6 years.

4 hours ago, Middler said:

If you live within 30-50 miles of a metro area an antenna may be a free option. If you’re in a rural area, an antenna may be of little use.

For those willing to deal with two input sources (my wife wasn’t willing to), a decent antenna like a Mohu is a good way to save even more cord cutting, about $15-$20/mo. If you use an antenna for live locals (free), you can then stream all the cable channels with Sling TV for $25/mo and up. In comparison, PlayStation Vue, YouTube TV, DirecTV Now and Hulu Live provide live locals and cable channels for $40-$45/mo and up - in some (major) metro areas, more being added all the time. Caveat: You won’t have DVR capability with an antenna without another device (several options) and cloud DVR costs extra with Sling TV basic.

But with an antenna, check the availability of channels at your specific address, even what you neighbor gets could be different from what you’ll receive. May seem hard to believe but with an antenna I can get over 40 channels upstairs in our two story home, but only 9 channels downstairs same antenna. Caveat: You can place one antenna high on your house or maybe in an attic and connect to several TV’s within the house.

If before buying an antenna you want a guesstimate re: what channels you might get, enter your specific address (not just zip code) here: https://antennaweb.org/Address

There are other possible caveats, but I didn’t want this post to go on forever...

Mohu will ship you an antenna to test.  If it doesn't meet your needs, they will fully refund your purchase and provide free return shipping.  At least they did for my mother.   I live 90 miles south of Roanoke, Virginia and 70 miles north of Winston Salem, North Carolina.  My Mohu works great and we are the Websters definition of "rural".  But I agree, test them out before committing, especially since it's basically free to do so. 

Personally, with streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime, I don't see the need for DVR services.  Everything is readily available via streaming service.  I don't see the point in DVR'ing something on NBC tonight that will be on Hulu tomorrow.  And with Hulu, I don't have to bypass commercials.  We had YoutubeTV for about 6 months but rarely watched it.  It's kind of pointless to pay for something that offers nothing above what you already have with other streaming services. 

The point I would like to make, choosing to cut the cord in favor of streaming means having the freedom and ability to cater your viewing pleasure to meet your exact preferences.  There is no wrong way nor is there a right way.  It can be done with great financial savings and it can be done by spending virtually what a cable bill would be.  But the ability to get what you want, when you want it is almost limitless.

Much too complicated for an old timer like me.

I like paying one bill for my land line phones, my internet, and my television.

$248 for the three services including extras like HBO, Showtime, and Netflix for the TVs.

Another $50, separately--senior rate for two unlimited cell phone lines, not that I use any data at all.

Once I'm dead, I won't have to pay anything.

Based on the big reduction in my golf bill, I'm almost dead already!

31 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Mohu will ship you an antenna to test.  If it doesn't meet your needs, they will fully refund your purchase and provide free return shipping.  At least they did for my mother.   I live 90 miles south of Roanoke, Virginia and 70 miles north of Winston Salem, North Carolina.  My Mohu works great and we are the Websters definition of "rural".  But I agree, test them out before committing, especially since it's basically free to do so. 

Personally, with streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime, I don't see the need for DVR services.  Everything is readily available via streaming service.  I don't see the point in DVR'ing something on NBC tonight that will be on Hulu tomorrow.  And with Hulu, I don't have to bypass commercials.  We had YoutubeTV for about 6 months but rarely watched it.  It's kind of pointless to pay for something that offers nothing above what you already have with other streaming services. 

The point I would like to make, choosing to cut the cord in favor of streaming means having the freedom and ability to cater your viewing pleasure to meet your exact preferences.  There is no wrong way nor is there a right way.  It can be done with great financial savings and it can be done by spending virtually what a cable bill would be.  But the ability to get what you want, when you want it is almost limitless.

I'll second the Mohu antenna. We are halfway between 2 large cities - Cleveland and Toledo, about 60 miles each way and we get network stations from both. We also get a bunch of what i used to call UHF stations including ION, Bounce, Grit, etc. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

And speaking of technology....

My frustration with all that is said above is that if you wait five minutes, whatever you had that was the latest is obsolete.  And the older I get the more I see this happen.  I started back in the late 80's with the VHS tape, and a standard color TV.  Then we got camcorders which used the VHS tape.  Then that wasn't good enough, so we got the Hi-8 camcorder.  Then the VHS player wasn't good enough, so we ended up with a TIVO that was linked to our DirecTV account.  Then that wasn't good enough, so the cable companies invented their own DVRs to essentially put TIVO out of business when they got greedy.  I bought my first CD player that was the size and weight of a small boat anchor in 1986.  It played one disc and I thought that the sound was amazing and that all of those cassette tapes I had and the 600 vinyl albums I had collected since I was about 12 years old was now completely worthless.

Wait, how much money did I drop on vinyl and cassettes?  Wait, how much money did I spend on VHS tapes, and recording movies on them?  How much time did I waste recording all of those movies onto VHS, only to have someone tell me that I needed to get a DVD player.  No wait, was that a Laserdisc, or was it BluRay, or was it HD something or other?

So I started with connecting a phone line to a desktop PC with a monochrome monitor, because that's all that we had in 1990.  And it was something like $1,200, and I was thrilled because it actually had a 40 MB hard drive in it.  Man, I'll never use that much space in this lifetime.  Wait, now Bill Gates has come out with this Windows thing?  What the heck is that?  Oh wait, now I need to get another computer that now costs $1,500 that will have a better color monitor, and a better a processor, and wait, they are offering 80 MB hard drives?  Geez, ok, I guess I can get on board with that, because AOL is awesome, and being able to go in those chat rooms and hit on girls from all over the country is freaking fantastic!

I'll spare you an old man's frustration with technology.  Every five minutes someone is coming out with something else that is better, faster, and more amazing.  But even with my list above, I've lost count of the amount of money I've WASTED on crap that is now obsolete.  Heck, I've got 3 laptops at home that are paperweights with a power cord attached to it.

No wonder my parents were able to survive on just one income for the entire household.  We didn't plug much in, and even if we did it was probably making coffee.  You can bankrupt yourself pretty quickly trying to keep up with the latest and greatest in technology and TV and entertainment.  And hey, I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about it all, and am pretty quick to adapt to the latest and greatest.  I just see the downside of it all in that all of this stuff costs money, and in some cases a LOT of money, only to be scrap metal a couple of years later when some other schmuck figures out a way to stream movies right below the water in your toilet, because after all, we can't be without a screen in front of us, or beneath us for even five minutes of our lives.

/old man rant over

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

11 minutes ago, GSwag said:

And speaking of technology....

My frustration with all that is said above is that if you wait five minutes, whatever you had that was the latest is obsolete.  And the older I get the more I see this happen.  I started back in the late 80's with the VHS tape, and a standard color TV.  Then we got camcorders which used the VHS tape.  Then that wasn't good enough, so we got the Hi-8 camcorder.  Then the VHS player wasn't good enough, so we ended up with a TIVO that was linked to our DirecTV account.  Then that wasn't good enough, so the cable companies invented their own DVRs to essentially put TIVO out of business when they got greedy.  I bought my first CD player that was the size and weight of a small boat anchor in 1986.  It played one disc and I thought that the sound was amazing and that all of those cassette tapes I had and the 600 vinyl albums I had collected since I was about 12 years old was now completely worthless.

Wait, how much money did I drop on vinyl and cassettes?  Wait, how much money did I spend on VHS tapes, and recording movies on them?  How much time did I waste recording all of those movies onto VHS, only to have someone tell me that I needed to get a DVD player.  No wait, was that a Laserdisc, or was it BluRay, or was it HD something or other?

So I started with connecting a phone line to a desktop PC with a monochrome monitor, because that's all that we had in 1990.  And it was something like $1,200, and I was thrilled because it actually had a 40 MB hard drive in it.  Man, I'll never use that much space in this lifetime.  Wait, now Bill Gates has come out with this Windows thing?  What the heck is that?  Oh wait, now I need to get another computer that now costs $1,500 that will have a better color monitor, and a better a processor, and wait, they are offering 80 MB hard drives?  Geez, ok, I guess I can get on board with that, because AOL is awesome, and being able to go in those chat rooms and hit on girls from all over the country is freaking fantastic!

I'll spare you an old man's frustration with technology.  Every five minutes someone is coming out with something else that is better, faster, and more amazing.  But even with my list above, I've lost count of the amount of money I've WASTED on crap that is now obsolete.  Heck, I've got 3 laptops at home that are paperweights with a power cord attached to it.

No wonder my parents were able to survive on just one income for the entire household.  We didn't plug much in, and even if we did it was probably making coffee.  You can bankrupt yourself pretty quickly trying to keep up with the latest and greatest in technology and TV and entertainment.  And hey, I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about it all, and am pretty quick to adapt to the latest and greatest.  I just see the downside of it all in that all of this stuff costs money, and in some cases a LOT of money, only to be scrap metal a couple of years later when some other schmuck figures out a way to stream movies right below the water in your toilet, because after all, we can't be without a screen in front of us, or beneath us for even five minutes of our lives.

/old man rant over

Yet, somehow you found a way to post on a message board using Al Gore's interwebs!  😉

15 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Yet, somehow you found a way to post on a message board using Al Gore's interwebs!  😉

Like I said, I am pretty tech savvy.  The gist of my rant was that all of this crap costs a LOT of money.  If you tabulate the last 30 years of my life in the amount of money I've pissed away on obsolete technology, I probably could have bought a brand new Lexus with all of that money.  Oh wait, don't get me started on the technology in cars.  Sorry, it's an endless variety of insanity.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

On 11/11/2018 at 6:39 PM, Middler said:

OP:

Good summary

Adding: 

60Hz is the default for HDMI cables. A faster TV will not benefit if you are using HDMI cables unless it does it's own smoothing of frames.Then you are introducing post processing and not everyone likes it (some feel nauseous), just make sure to look at it in the store.

To output 1080p content at 120Hz+, you typically use a dual link DVI-D cable or DisplayPort cable (also reaches 144Hz)

You’d want at least 2 HDMI ports, and not all HDMI ports support 4K, so make sure you check. My main TV has 4 HDMI ports, but only 1 supports 4K.

HDMI 2.0 introduced support for 3820 x 2160 @ 60Hz. Look for that phrasing or better (number > 2.0) if you're exploring 4k.

:cobra-small: Cobra King F7+, VA drago 65 X, 9.5*

:cobra-small: Cobra F7 3/4 wood - hzrd red 15.5*

:mizuno-small: MP-63 4-PW 

:cleveland-small: Cleveland 588 Tour Wedge (56*)

OnCore Elixr all day every day

3 hours ago, GSwag said:

Like I said, I am pretty tech savvy.  The gist of my rant was that all of this crap costs a LOT of money.  If you tabulate the last 30 years of my life in the amount of money I've pissed away on obsolete technology, I probably could have bought a brand new Lexus with all of that money.  Oh wait, don't get me started on the technology in cars.  Sorry, it's an endless variety of insanity.

We pay for lots of things that become obsolete or are temporary in nature. Over those same 30 years how much utility or enjoyment has technology provided? 
I'm not saying some of it isn't useless or silly, just that saying it's been pissed away doesn't seem entirely accurate.

Now the real question is when does it start giving refunds for the frustration it's caused 😉

:cobra-small: Cobra King F7+, VA drago 65 X, 9.5*

:cobra-small: Cobra F7 3/4 wood - hzrd red 15.5*

:mizuno-small: MP-63 4-PW 

:cleveland-small: Cleveland 588 Tour Wedge (56*)

OnCore Elixr all day every day

Slingtv and Fox sports need to get some things figured out. There was 4 minutes left in the basketball game and suddenly they blacked it out. They already blackout the big ten football on FS1. I guess the dispute has to do with fees. I’m about to move on. Just need to find the right place to move to, I thought FUBO tv looked good until I realized they do not offer ESPN at all, which Seems silly for a streaming service who’s platform is sports. Directv now is one I need to look at, Hulu is another. I need to go back reread some of the help in this thread and see if I am missing any 

I went with two 55” Vizio TVs in my apartment. I have Firesticks and Apple TVs on both with Direct TV Now. Meets my needs just fine considering I am literally in the middle of nowhere five days a week for work.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

Just now, Jmikecpa said:

I went with two 55” Vizio TVs in my apartment. I have Firesticks and Apple TVs on both with Direct TV Now. Meets my needs just fine considering I am literally in the middle of nowhere five days a week for work.

My need are specific channels that I cannot be without, mine are sports related and most of the services provide that, my families needs require other things and not all the streaming services provide them, so I have to make sure that those needs are met as well. 

My need are specific channels that I cannot be without, mine are sports related and most of the services provide that, my families needs require other things and not all the streaming services provide them, so I have to make sure that those needs are met as well. 

You can get most content on a Firestick with a few minutes on YouTube and a little bit of tech knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

16 hours ago, Jmikecpa said:

You can get most content on a Firestick with a few minutes on YouTube and a little bit of tech knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will check that out. The main channels that I need for the family are DIY, HGTV, all of the hallmark channels, Disney, freeform, and a few others that are musts for them, all of my channels are all sports related, All the ESPN, FS1, FS2, Golf, NFL, NHL, Redzone. Those types. 

Just got back from Best Buy, so here’s what we ended-up with:

Modem to eliminate the $12/month from cable company
Samsung 50” UHDTV Smart TV
Roku stick
32” TCL tv with built-in Roku for my son’s room
Mohu Leaf 30 mile range HD antenna (ordered online)

Thanks to everyone for all of the help!!!!

The fun of setting-up all of these starts next Tuesday evening!!!! Ugh...

43 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Just got back from Best Buy, so here’s what we ended-up with:

Modem to eliminate the $12/month from cable company
Samsung 50” UHDTV Smart TV
Roku stick
32” TCL tv with built-in Roku for my son’s room
Mohu Leaf 30 mile range HD antenna (ordered online)

Thanks to everyone for all of the help!!!!

The fun of setting-up all of these starts next Tuesday evening!!!! Ugh...

Enjoy!

Archived