Sluggo42

Is golf your main hobby, or just one of many?

Our Sponsors

I think part of the reason I never got really good at the game was a lack of dedication due to other interests. I was into playing in my rock and roll bands, and my bass fishing, so I had to divide my available time into thirds. I’ve pretty well hung up the rock and roll as the hours and lugging gear became a bigger hassle than it was worth.

but, now my tournament fishing season starts in a few weeks and that takes up time too. Sometimes I wish I could hit balls every day, but I’m afraid I would get burnt out. I just don’t seem to have that killer instinct that the really good players have.

just how dedicated are you?

• Like 5
  • Off Topic 1

Currently testing for review:

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi

:ping-small: G400 LSTec driver 10° on Aldila X-Torsion Stiff

:callaway-small: 816 Alpha 3-wood 15° On Aldila Rogue Stiff

:callaway-small: 815 GBB Alpha hybrid 19° On Fujikura Speeder 865 Stiff

:benhogan-small: Ptx Pro 5-P irons on KBS Tour V 110 S

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on recoil 780 StifF

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

Main Hobby as of recent.

I tried guitar, sucked.

Tried fly fishing, sucked.

Tried woodworking, I’m too much of a perfectionist and can’t get my hands to do what my mind is thinking.

Used to love working on cars... then I became a mechanic.

Running is my side gig right now. Getting me by for winter.

Getting back into photography, going to try and mix that with golf more.

• Like 8

Golf is pretty much my only hobby.  Have thought about trying other things,  but never get really motivated to do anything.  

I play once a week and spend a bunch of other time testing for MGS.  I will probably spend more time at the range over the winter and into the spring to try and improve.   I really enjoy learning about new equipment,  how all the tech works, and trying to get better.  

• Like 5

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

It’s one of a couple but the one that gets the most attention 

• Like 3

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

You're a 1.7 handicap and you'd rather be fishing?

I'll give it to you straight.  I'm 51 years old and I can honestly say I'll probably be no better than a 6 handicap no matter how much blood, sweat and tears I give golf.  I live with lower back pain that reminds me every day I'm no longer in my 20s when I could free wheel it and do whatever stupid crap I wanted to to my body and it would never complain.  I found out a few years ago I can't even hit off of mats for more than about 30 iron shots or I'd develop pain in my pecs that would last a week.

I'd give 100% of my time to this game, and I doubt it would matter honestly.  Some people have a natural gift to blast it 300 yards effortlessly, and develop a short game that makes shooting 68 a frustrating round because more putts didn't drop.  Frankly I wouldn't know.  I've shot 71 three times, and every one of those times it was a miracle.  But then I see some 15 year old kid outdrive me by 50 yards and walk off the course shooting 74 and not even trying.  Meanwhile I limp home to that frustrating 82.

Maybe I'm just in the winter of my discontent, but this last year I gave a ton of time and effort to this game, and didn't do much else, and frankly golf is a thankless game.  I have to work a 40 hour a week job, so I try and squeeze in practice when I can.  But then you show up at the local muni on a Saturday afternoon only to have the guy in the pro shop tell me I can't go out even as a single, because the local club pro has his school of 30 juniors who just took the next two hours of tee times.  Sure, let the kids play, but those of us older guys are screwed and just go home without hitting a shot.

I've got a call list of a half dozen guys who play golf somewhat normally or on a somewhat regular basis.  But I bet if I tried to schedule a tee time with any of them for next Saturday that all six of them would have something else going on, and even if one of them was half interested, the only way I'd get him to the course is if the round was free to him.  This is hypothetical of course, but the point basically is that no one that I know truly gives a crap about golf, at least not even semi seriously.  And the one guy who is as serious as I am is a member of the private club around the corner from my house that I can't afford and could never join and still make my bills.

I honestly don't know what prompted this rant, but I just get so sick of putting my heart and soul into golf and having it slap me in the face in about 10,000 different ways.  But what other hobbies do I have?  I can only play so much piano, and singing in the choir only takes up so much of your time.  I'd play more ping pong, but you need someone to play against, because unlike golf, you need a playing partner to actually play ping pong.

Life was a lot easier when we were kids.  I had my younger brother who was usually around to go hit the links with.  Now everyone is busy with 10,000 other things.

• Like 5

• :ping-small: G400 Driver, 3 Fairway
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Irons - 18° & 21°
  • :Hogan: Ft. Worth Hi Utility Iron - 24°
  • :callaway-small: Forged Razr X 6-A Wedge irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 54° & 58°
  • :ping-small: Sigma2 Tyne Putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:NX7 Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Same here, it is primary at least for a while.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

:cobra-small: F Max 5 wood

:ping-small:  9 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*
:wilson-small: C300 4i-GP
:cleveland-small:  Wedges RTX 3.0: 52*, 56*
:ping-small: EYE 2 Wedge 60*

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain:

:SuperSpeed: Official Tester 2020   Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

Golf is my only hobby.  I have tried fishing, hiking, wood working, and enjoyed them all...but I always come back to golf.  It has something to do with the combination of fellowship and the challenge.  I have decided that whether I get better or not, I am going to enjoy every round, good or bad.  My goal is to become a better putter..we can all be good putters if we work on it and I am going to spend time this winter seriously working on it.

• Like 6

Ping G400 Driver with a 47 3/4 stiff flex shaft.

Mizuno JPX 919 Hot metal irons, Project X 90 shafts. 4-LW

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

I'm 100% committed to golf. 

Yes, I play guitar and run, but those are just side interests. I'd never give up a round of golf to run or play guitar. Simple as that. 

• Like 5

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Fishing hunting racing cars lifting weights softball football snow boarding really anything..... fishing done hunting I try to go on 1 trip a year with my dad. Racing cars got too expensive. Football tired of getting hurt.  So Softball lifting weights and golf is it for me now and snow boarding during the “offseason”

• Like 4

Dog training and hunting are by far my priorities golf is something I do to get away from that during the summer and spring because I can spend all my time and effort on my dogs.

I play hockey again after a few year hiatus because of said dogs. Hockey is something that I can get into and it takes less time and money than golf plus I get a better workout with it. Golf is something I do to get away and do something that is just me and the course or one to two other people.

• Like 4

Golf, Guitar, and woodworking are my 3 main hobbies and they’re all about equal. I’ve sort of combined them all really. I have been building guitars for about 5 years now and have begun refinishing persimmon golf clubs so I get to spend a lot of time at my workbench which is my favorite place to be.

I love playing golf, but as a stay-at-home dad with 3 kids ages 4, 6, and 8, it’s hard to get out for a round a lot of times.

And while I love playing guitar with others, I don’t have the time to play in a band, not to mention I have no desire playing in a bar at Midnight on a Saturday night anymore.

Building guitars and refinishing golf clubs give me a creative outlet and I can enjoy all three of my hobbies without leaving the house.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 5

WITB:

Louisville Smart Persimmon Driver

Louisville Niblick Persimmon 3 & 5 woods

Hogan UIHI 4-iron*

Hogan PTx Pro 5-7*

Hogan Icon 8-PW*

KZG 51 gap wedge

KZG 56 sand wedge

Rife Legend Z Putter

*denotes clubs being tested

I play a lot of golf but it is not number one on the list. Oil painting is what I really like to do, when I get on a creative streak I just walk away from golf. I started playing too late in life to be any good at it but I do enjoy playing with new people and spending time in the great outdoors.

• Like 4

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

I’m liking responses here, it kind of gives a little insight into everyone a little bit, besides about their golf game. Keep em coming!

• Like 4

Currently testing for review:

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi

:ping-small: G400 LSTec driver 10° on Aldila X-Torsion Stiff

:callaway-small: 816 Alpha 3-wood 15° On Aldila Rogue Stiff

:callaway-small: 815 GBB Alpha hybrid 19° On Fujikura Speeder 865 Stiff

:benhogan-small: Ptx Pro 5-P irons on KBS Tour V 110 S

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on recoil 780 StifF

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

At this stage of my life there is nothing other than golf.  It's something I can do (and have done for the past 25 years), that is challenging and holds my interest.

Things I have done since school in no particular order, but haven't done recently:

mountain climbing
fly fishing
car racing
softball (slo- and fast pitch)
volleyball
sailing

• Like 4

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

So for me it's Hunting, photography, and golf.. and I have combined Golf and Photography....And Family.. 

I used to be a competitive shooter. I used to race Quads and Dirtbikes, that really took it's toll on the body, Bunch of broken bones and hospital stays.. I do hike, usually take my camera or my gun... Love hanging out with friends, which gets hard since we all have gotten other things to do most of the time.. 

So yeah for me mostly Golf Spring and summer, Hunting fall and Photography all year... 

• Like 5

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Cobra F8+ Driver Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedges 54* and 58* versatile grind

Snake eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

During the late spring/summer it's my main hobby, but year round? Nope. I do a lot of music production work throughout the year (mixing, recording, providing drum tracks, etc) but that tends to be in fall/winter the most. In late summer/fall I'm heavily involved with our town's national champion marching band, and then all winter it's our indoor percussion group. So lots of prop building, designing, and moving all the stuff we built around at competitions. 

• Like 2

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

If I could golf and salt water fish a few times a week I'd be one happy person, but work and geography get in the way.

In my younger days I raced cars in Sydney, started racing my Uncle's Datsun 510 and then built my own Mazda 626 sports sedan, that took almost all of my spare time and I loved it.

However, racing is now a past glory and I love golf and would classify it as my main hobby along, to a lesser degree, working on cars and doing household repairs.

• Like 3

In the bag:
:taylormade-small: M5 Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Fairway: Sub 70 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 119 19° hybrid Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 4-GW UST Mamiya Recoil 680 F4
:cleveland-small: Smartsole S
:yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

image.png

At this point in my life, golf is pretty much my only hobby.

In the past I've rode BMX, I played guitar, and I used to build custom computers. Golf was there all that time and has outlasted all of them. It used to just be a way for me and my dad to spend some time together, but now it's all I want to do (and getting my dad on the course can be rather difficult).

I would like to get into MTB, but I don't currently have the money to get a decently spec'd entry-level bike. With my BMX background, I need something that can take a little abuse and anything shy of at least $1200 simply won't do. 

• Like 2

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Pro S300
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura 6m 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Yeah, it’s about all I do other than “work” and “family”. I don’t get to spend the time on it like I did in my previous job, so it’s frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 4/5 iron, Z785 6-PW, :Nippon:Modus 120X

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"