Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Ping G410 Driver

Whoa - I've only been able to play this driver twice at a Muni, but dammmm it's as straight as an arrow. Hopefully our course opens this week so I can get a better sense for the distance. The earliest I could get the fitter scheduled for is May 1st. In the meantime I've got the 410 in the neutral setting.  I'm a very happy camper! 

• Like 7

So now that you guys have gotten in a few rounds with the G410, are any of you experimenting with the adjustable weight, if so, are you seeing any difference in the effect it makes on shot shape?
Also, are any of you worried about losing it since it doesn't sit in a track?

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

11 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

So now that you guys have gotten in a few rounds with the G410, are any of you experimenting with the adjustable weight, if so, are you seeing any difference in the effect it makes on shot shape?

Funny you mention it.  After my last round I mentioned that all of my misses were right.  For my next range session I will be moving the hosel out of the flat setting to the neutral setting, and leaving the weight in the toe.  The thought behind this is I still want to slow my face closure  by keeping the weight in the toe/fade setting, but I don't want the ball to start as far right.  

Will report on what I see at the range and on the course with these settings.

• Like 4

On 4/5/2019 at 9:06 AM, golfinnut said:

Nice reviews so far guys.  I'm interested to see any stats from those of you that may have played the G400 Max vs nowt the 410.  

I have the Max sitting in the Nut Cave that's probably going to go to the marketplace really soon.  Especially if I see considerable gains by you guys.  @GolfSpy STUDque you are absolutely killing it.  Doubt that's going to be out of your bag very soon.  Especially since you sold the TS2 so quickly. 

Don't you want to know how it compares to my GBB warbird? 😂  I did test the G400 last year at a PING demo and thought it was really nice.  Thus far, all I can offer about how it compares to the G410 is that the G410 feels every bit as nice and, after several rounds before heading home from winter grounds in Yuma, performing very well. 

While we all take our obligatory time-out this weekend to watch the greatest event in sports, let's see if we can determine how many PING G410's are being tested at The Masters.   Who else besides Bubba?

• Like 3

23 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

On the G410 Plus, the weight does nest in an track and can be positioned in either neutral, draw, or fade positions. It has a Torx screw and the provided wrench assures it is set to factory torque and, I should think, unlikely to work itself loose... but that's something we can certainly watch for and report on. 

• Like 2

Great work out there thus far fellow testers! I however have been sans-golf for almost 2-weeks now what with all my new umpiring duties in both Little Leagues, work of course, our unsettled & wet weather and then a bout currently with the flu. My weekend is shaping up to be no different unfortunately. Got ball games Saturday and then on Sunday of course, I will be working on my ass-groove in the couch watching you-know-what all day. Next week, I have an evening set for some range time to myself and I hope to play a round on that following Sunday. For the sake of tinkering, I've acquired the shaft originally recommended by my..."fitter" that I'm excited to try. I also want to grab the one that the PING inflight fitting recommends, but haven't seen a 410-ready one come available yet on the Bay for cheap. I also want to get some varied weights like I have for my 400 to tinker with those, though I'm not sure anyone has them for sale out there yet.

I'll keep you all posted, but I have the sinking feeling that I need to play some catch-up here real soon.

• Like 3

On 4/11/2019 at 6:53 AM, jlukes said:

Funny you mention it.  After my last round I mentioned that all of my misses were right.  For my next range session I will be moving the hosel out of the flat setting to the neutral setting, and leaving the weight in the toe.  The thought behind this is I still want to slow my face closure  by keeping the weight in the toe/fade setting, but I don't want the ball to start as far right.  

Will report on what I see at the range and on the course with these settings.

Hey @jlukes and other testers.........I'm curious, so would you contend so far that this Ping Driver has mostly or entirely eliminated the left side miss? Your comments above bring back pleasant memories and piece of mind I previously enjoyed with my former Ping Driver.

You see, about 4 years ago I had a TM driver that had the occasional (or often) crazy left side miss, scare the dickens out of you. I switched to a Ping G30LST thereafter and I don't know what it was about that club but it virtually eliminated the entire left side of the course for me, my piece of mind became sound and half the course was all but gone. Now I'm gaming a TS3 (set flat and open) and from time to time I can still get a wild left bomber.

Jlukes I know you also just came from a TS Driver and your posts have got me really wondering as to this specific issue. I'll be following you closely on that......and if any other testers are experiencing strong bias to left side balls gone, please chime in.

8 minutes ago, Trial&Error said:

Hey @jlukes and other testers.........I'm curious, so would you contend so far that this Ping Driver has mostly or entirely eliminated the left side miss? Your comments above bring back pleasant memories and piece of mind I previously enjoyed with my former Ping Driver.

You see, about 4 years ago I had a TM driver that had the occasional (or often) crazy left side miss, scare the dickens out of you. I switched to a Ping G30LST thereafter and I don't know what it was about that club but it virtually eliminated the entire left side of the course for me, my piece of mind became sound and half the course was all but gone. Now I'm gaming a TS3 (set flat and open) and from time to time I can still get a wild left bomber.

Jlukes I know you also just came from a TS Driver and your posts have got me really wondering as to this specific issue. I'll be following you closely on that......and if any other testers are experiencing strong bias to left side balls gone, please chime in.

Hey T&E!  From my experience so far, I would say the ability to flatten the lie and put the weight in the toe definitely has impacted the start line and amount of curve on my shots.  So yes, I can say that the settings G410 Plus really have the ability to alter ball flight.  The TS2 had the ability to go flat, but I couldn't put weight towards the toe to slow closure rate.  Not sure how it would compare to a TS3 set to flat and with the weight in the toe.

That being said, it is still possible to hit the occasional duck hook of you are closing the face too aggressively - and not club or amount of adjustability would prevent that.  But putting the weight in the toe and flattening the lie has really helped me so far.  Your results may vary, but the technology definitely seems to be working thus far.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

Great work out there thus far fellow testers! I however have been sans-golf for almost 2-weeks now what with all my new umpiring duties in both Little Leagues, work of course, our unsettled & wet weather and then a bout currently with the flu. My weekend is shaping up to be no different unfortunately. Got ball games Saturday and then on Sunday of course, I will be working on my ass-groove in the couch watching you-know-what all day. Next week, I have an evening set for some range time to myself and I hope to play a round on that following Sunday. For the sake of tinkering, I've acquired the shaft originally recommended by my..."fitter" that I'm excited to try. I also want to grab the one that the PING inflight fitting recommends, but haven't seen a 410-ready one come available yet on the Bay for cheap. I also want to get some varied weights like I have for my 400 to tinker with those, though I'm not sure anyone has them for sale out there yet.

I'll keep you all posted, but I have the sinking feeling that I need to play some catch-up here real soon.

No worries - you'll be hitting it regularly soon! I can't get into the fitter's shop until May 1st - they're that backed up - guess that's good news for them. So my final tuning won't happen until then., however,  in the meantime, I've played three rounds so far and love the driver. Now I'm experimenting a bit. After yesterday where I had the neutral setting, I'm trying the flat + to see what effect that has. Always fun to tinker. 

• Like 4

Sounds like Jlukes is the only one of late being able to get out and try this sweet club 
 Surely you guys won't let a little thing like the Masters keep you from getting to the range or course this weekend!
As for my results, I'm not an official tester but some of you know that I was out at PING last week getting fit.   I started with the 410+ in the neutral position and did OK with it, but was getting a bit more fade than I and the fitter liked, still very playable but he thought taking some of that off might get me a few more yards.
So he switched the weight to the draw and actually put a slightly lighter one in to help the SW as well--it was initially coming in at D6--, and help me get through the ball a bit more.  It worked, it straightened the flight out and I picked up 17 yards on the first swing after the adjustment.  
I kept it there and got on Trackman with it this week after I got back home.  I took it along with my TS2 out to the range.  While I'm not going to throw up any Jlukes or Studque numbers, the G410 was out-gaining the TS2 by 5 to 7 yards on most swings.   And i got a couple out to 226, my normal might be 215. 
Working with our DOI he gave me a few pointers that he said once I get those locked in I should be able to get out there to 230 maybe 235.   I was getting a swing speed of about 84 to 85 on the TS2 and was managing a pretty steady 87 on the PING.   Launch was about the same and and spin was close, they were both around 2900 to 3100 on both, a bit high but working on a few things to bring them down a couple hundred RPM.   Along with working on my club path and face to path has helped me realize a good swing from a bad swing.   
Looking forward to getting a round in with this in the several days. 
Any other testers have some actual results  or if any forum members have any questions for the group fire away!!

Our swing speeds are similar (mid 80’s) so I’m happy your putting in your 2 cents. The 410 driver is on my short list this summer when I’m off the DL.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Our swing speeds are similar (mid 80’s) so I’m happy your putting in your 2 cents. The 410 driver is on my short list this summer when I’m off the DL.

It is definitely one that should be on just about everyone's short list. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Sounds like Jlukes is the only one of late being able to get out and try this sweet club 😏

Surely you guys won't let a little thing like the Masters keep you from getting to the range or course this weekend!

Well, to be brutally honest,... yes.  

But, just before heading back to MT from Yuma, I was able to get some range time and data hitting both my Razr-Fit and the G410 Plus.  We just got home today and got unloaded, house restarted, and Golf Channel on 👍. I'll be posting the initial range data along with some observations from several rounds of play over the weekend.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Well, to be brutally honest,... yes.  

But, just before heading back to MT from Yuma, I was able to get some range time and data hitting both my Razr-Fit and the G410 Plus.  We just got home today and got unloaded, house restarted, and Golf Channel on 👍. I'll be posting the initial range data along with some observations from several rounds of play over the weekend.  

I know.  I use this wonderful thing called the DVR and record it to watch in the evenings. 😎

Usually it's a great way to miss all the commercials.   But that's the beauty of the Mssters.  Very few commercials. 

• Haha 1

Sounds like Jlukes is the only one of late being able to get out and try this sweet club 
As for my results, I'm not an official tester but some of you know that I was out at PING last week getting fit.   I started with the 410+ in the neutral position and did OK with it, but was getting a bit more fade than I and the fitter liked, still very playable but he thought taking some of that off might get me a few more yards.
So he switched the weight to the draw and actually put a slightly lighter one in to help the SW as well--it was initially coming in at D6--, and help me get through the ball a bit more.  It worked, it straightened the flight out and I picked up 17 yards on the first swing after the adjustment.  
I kept it there and got on Trackman with it this week after I got back home.  I took it along with my TS2 out to the range.  While I'm not going to throw up any Jlukes or Studque numbers, the G410 was out-gaining the TS2 by 5 to 7 yards on most swings.   And i got a couple out to 226, my normal might be 215. 
Working with our DOI he gave me a few pointers that he said once I get those locked in I should be able to get out there to 230 maybe 235.   I was getting a swing speed of about 84 to 85 on the TS2 and was managing a pretty steady 87 on the PING.   Launch was about the same and and spin was close, they were both around 2900 to 3100 on both, a bit high but working on a few things to bring them down a couple hundred RPM.   Along with working on my club path and face to path has helped me realize a good swing from a bad swing.   
Looking forward to getting a round in with this in the several days. 
Any other testers have some actual results  or if any forum members have any questions for the group fire away!!

Do you notice big gains or changes compared to the g400?

22 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Sounds like Jlukes is the only one of late being able to get out and try this sweet club 😏

A

Nooooope - I've had it on the course about 4 times and really loving it. It's (SFT) straight as an arrow. I'm starting to play around with the settings - going to try Flat + this morning. Beautiful day planned - 18 on our course so it'll be a good gauge on distance against my GBB. My immediate feedback is that it is straighter than my GBB - which I had set to  neutral. At that setting I had a slight pull-hook. 

Fitter is scheduled for May 1st - so won't have any hard data until after. 

• Like 6