Fitting/ Lie angle question!

16 hours ago, Micah T said:

Yup 1 degree upright: my miss shows up when I go after one too hard. Generally 4-7 iron are the main culprits.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

ah yea, I Just always miss left that I started playing it. But ill correct this season then the upright lie angle should be perfect!

Driver:  Taylormade M5 tour ad di 7x 10.5

3 Wood: Titleist Ts3 

Irons: 4-5 Mizuno mp20 MMC 6-p Mizuno mp20 mb KBS $ taper 130 x stiff

Wedges: 52,56,60 Taylormade Hi toe

Putter-SWAG HANDSOME OIL SLICK

On 2/27/2021 at 8:10 AM, kmlp95 said:
Hey everyone, I'll start this off by saying I know there's a lot of lie angle forums, but I can't find my exact answer.
I recently got fitted for a new set of mizuno mp20 mb/mmc combo irons at my local fitter, I believe he did everything right, he explained everything well pretty well and I asked lots of questions. After I got home and did some research I found one issue but it might just be me. I was fitted one degree upright based on a lie board and a marker drawn on the ball, when I hit this marked line on the ball the line pointed very slightly to the heel of the club. I'm 6 ft tall and he took a wrist to ground measurement but I'm not sure what that was. However my miss is left and I mean way left, from what I'm reading the upright lie angle will make this worse? I was at a different fitter the week before and he did the marker test and told me it calls for upright but he would put me flat? does this even make sense? I've played a draw hook for over 10 years, I close the face on impact I believe or maybe its my swing or both haha. I guess my question is did he do this correctly even though my miss is left and is this one degree lie angle going to make a huge difference? I've read I think every forum on lie angle and my brain is going to explode, I'm pumped for my irons and just praying its done right.

You already have gotten sound advice, so rather than repeat, I will add that the lie angle of MP20 irons is flatter than most other irons, and 1º upright brings them very close to the standard lie angle of the 718mb.  Were your 718mb irons fitted and were they standard lie?  

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

6 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

You already have gotten sound advice, so rather than repeat, I will add that the lie angle of MP20 irons is flatter than most other irons, and 1º upright brings them very close to the standard lie angle of the 718mb.  Were your 718mb irons fitted and were they standard lie?  

they were standard lie, I started to read that after aswell. Kinda silly they did the lie angle before we decided on a club and shaft but whatever i guess, I shoulda known 

• Like 1

Driver:  Taylormade M5 tour ad di 7x 10.5

3 Wood: Titleist Ts3 

Irons: 4-5 Mizuno mp20 MMC 6-p Mizuno mp20 mb KBS $ taper 130 x stiff

Wedges: 52,56,60 Taylormade Hi toe

Putter-SWAG HANDSOME OIL SLICK

OK, I'm going the other direction.  If you're already hitting the ball left, why would you want more upright irons that will increase the ball going left?  Why not try them 1* flat and see if it improves your ball flight direction?  if not, you can always bend them back the other ways.  I have a natural draw based swing, so for me 1* flat works best. I've tried other setups but the 1 flat is good for me.  Best wishes on the new irons, hope you really enjoy them.

SIM2 autoflex 505

EPIC 15*

Sub70 hybrids 3,5

Apex 21 5-gw

Vokey SM8  54

Sub70 JB low bounce 58

PXG Operator H 

20 minutes ago, Larryd3 said:

OK, I'm going the other direction.  If you're already hitting the ball left, why would you want more upright irons that will increase the ball going left?  Why not try them 1* flat and see if it improves your ball flight direction?  if not, you can always bend them back the other ways.  I have a natural draw based swing, so for me 1* flat works best. I've tried other setups but the 1 flat is good for me.  Best wishes on the new irons, hope you really enjoy them.

Remember the lie angle isn’t standard to every head. The mp20 is 1.5* flatter than the 718 mb so 1* still has him 1/2* flatter than the 718s.

His shot is a pull draw, that’s a result of path and face to path. What his fitting did was get a lie setting that lets him deliver the club better for his swing. 

• Like 3

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2021 at 9:58 AM, kmlp95 said:

awesome, thank you aswell I also enjoy other peoples opinions. anyone feel free to throw your 2 cents in here. 

I am struggling with a similar fit vs ball flight problem. My wrist to floor is much higher than what standard loft/lie clubs "fit" but I have been able to adjust my swing with most standard clubs or 2° upright.

Flat lie angles, no matter how I adjust, come into the turf toe down. This can cause the toe to dig first and open during the swing. Then to make ball first contact I would purposely hit thinner which developed a flinch.

All this to say that fitted to my specs of 2° upright allowed the sole of the club to enter the turf squarely. This allowed me to swing more freely and more accurate. 

One of my missed is getting stuck on my back foot and swiping the club across my body resulting in a pull. When I can keep my balance then I am able to swing out to the ball better which starts the ball online for me. Even with standard loft and lie clubs, with an in to out balanced swing I can get great turf interaction but my setup is a bit more squatted by a lil bit. 

I am going to try and get fit with longer clubs to see if that might help me not have to crouch so much. I feel fine with my mid irons but my shory irons and wedges feel too short. I don't like the feeling of standing really upright with the clubs more up and down so a longer club might help me get what I want. Time will tell with the help of fitter. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg