how often do you use 58* for partial shots?

3 minutes ago, gavinski91 said:

My current setup is a 52-58 combo of Cleveland CBX wedges, which didn't have much in the way of bounce and grind options in the first generation, so club choice is a matter of distance relative to the green. 105-75 I'll use the 52, from 75-25 I'll use the 58, and when I'm inside of 25 yards I prefer to use the 52 (unless I'm short-sided and need to come in steeper).

For my CCC5 Snakebite wedges I went with the classic grind in the 52 (12° of bounce) since I want to be able to comfortably take a full swing with it. In the 58 I went with the versatile grind (8° of bounce) which gives me enough bounce to comfortably chip (I tend to come in steep) but still manipulate the face angle as needed. That club also has full-face grooves, so I'm interested to see how I get along with it.

I have the classic grind on the 52* MIM Black... its awesome.  It works great for me on full and partial swings (I tend to be too steep if my swing is off_ and its surprisingly versatile around the green.  You're going to like it a lot I think! 

• Like 3

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope

1 hour ago, B.Boston said:

So for those that use a single club vs multiple, do you guys have different grinds or bounce angles on your wedges?

For me, all three of my wedges have different grinds and bounce angles.  I do that because I do find a difference on a really heavy or tight lie.  Or if I need a fuller swing I know my 52* or 56* have a sole that will lead to more consistent shots than my 60*.

When I was using a 54-58 combo both of my wedges were very close in bounce and had the same grind.  At that time I basically always used the 58*

I have 2 specialty wedges in my bag.  Couldn’t tell you the grinds.  Right now my 54 has 14* and my 58 has 12**  I also have a 54* with 8.  I don’t notice any difference when I play them as far as ability to make shots.  

• Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 hours ago, B.Boston said:

So for those that use a single club vs multiple, do you guys have different grinds or bounce angles on your wedges?

For me, all three of my wedges have different grinds and bounce angles.  I do that because I do find a difference on a really heavy or tight lie.  Or if I need a fuller swing I know my 52* or 56* have a sole that will lead to more consistent shots than my 60*.

When I was using a 54-58 combo both of my wedges were very close in bounce and had the same grind.  At that time I basically always used the 58*

Pre SCOR I had three wedges - I used an old Ping Eye 2  W as my gap wedge - I was such a good chipper with that club!!!!  I had a very high bounce sand wedge that was a 54 bent to 55 and a 60 that was low bounce.  Once I went with SCOR I had V soles on my wedges which provide multi bounces depending upon which part of the sole that you wish to use so I don't worry about it.  I never really worried about grind but that was at a time when it wasn't talked about.

• Like 5

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

I typically use my 58* for 70 yards and in, sometimes I'll use my 54* in that range as well, but mostly just stick to the 58*.  I'm really liking the spin (drop and stop) I get with all my wedges, but 54* from 90-70 is money.

• Like 2
  • In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

I have a 58 K grind with high bounce for bunker shots and deep lies around the green, the grind helps me get out of trouble. I then have a 54 S grind mid bounce for the shots from 50-80 out. S grind allows me to have a more straight back and through swing. 

• Like 2

:ping-small: Driver: G425 Max 10.5*
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:callaway-small: Hybrids: 4 & 5 Epic Flash, 2* lofted up
:callaway-small: Irons:  5 Rogue X, 6 - AW Rogue 
:titelist-small: Wedges:  Vokey SM8 54*S, 58*K
:cameron-small: Putter: 1995 Newport
:titelist-small: Ball: Yellow Titleist VG3
:nike-small: Bag: Nike Air Hybrid Golf Bag

I Love the Art of Putting!

Currently gaming a 52/58 setup, so basically anything inside of 50 yards is with the 58 degree. I'd wager as much as 80% of my shots inside of 50 yards are with the 58. I rarely use it for a full-swing and often prefer my 52 for shots 50-100 yds. The only other times I'm not using my 58 inside of 50 yards is if there's a back and/or uphill flag and trying to judge flying it all the way to the hole just wouldn't make sense based on where I might miss.

There's one hole at my home course that's often pretty difficult to hit the green on approach (I'm typically 180-200 out plus a pretty significant uphill grade) with a three-tier back-to-front green. 58 is rarely the best option here if I've missed the green, unless I'm in the greenside bunker.

• Like 2

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi3 with Tensei AV Raw White 65S
4-wood: :callaway-small: Mavrik Subzero (16.5*) with Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI X
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95cw Stiff
Wet/Soft: 3i-PW
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged, KBS Tour-V 110S
Hard/Fast: 4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S

52*, 58* :cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Modus3 Tour 115
Putter: :ping-small: Redwood Piper; :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier 11s

Ball: :srixon-small: Z STAR/XV (but I'm not just going to leave a perfectly good ProV1 laying around...)
Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer (2018) in black/white/copper

Using :Arccos: to keep track of my shots
:SuperSpeed:

All clubs RH

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review

I play a lot of “in between” shots with all of my wedges. I’ve been using the Pelz Method for my short game for a long time. Each of my 4 wedges has 3 “stock positions” then I can alter them by flighting the ball high or low.

Basic shots with my 58* wedge

7 o’clock position = 20 yards

9 o’clock position = 50 yards

full swing = 80 yards

i don’t chip much with my 58* unless I need to hit a flop and I hardly ever hit it from the bunker unless I’m extremely short sided.

• Like 2

:cobra-small: King F7+ UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 6F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:cobra-small: King PuR Wedges 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 3.0 grip

Arccos Generation 1 Sensors on all clubs

Snell MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Have Vokey SM7s in the 54* 14/F and 58* 08/M bounces - and in almost all situations, I find myself grabbing the 54* and applying distance control with my swing. I'm realizing the bounce of the 54* just suits my eye and swing. It's really helped me in keeping those errant approaches to the green ... at worst a bogey or at best a par. 

The only time I grab the 58* is when I'm on the fringe and the pin is on the near side without much green to work with, and simply need a delicate chip and roll out. 

The wedges are just over 2 years old and I've been looking hard at Cobra's MIM wedges in the versatile grind and PING's Glide 3.0 as well. All 3 of my Sunday golf buddies have the Mizuno T20s, and I just find the leading edge on those to be too rounded. 

• Like 4

The 🙌🏼 ... GO CANES!

Driver: :titelist-small: TS2 9*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19*

Irons: post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TS2 (5i-6i); TS1 (7i-GW)

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 54* & 58*

Putter: :ping-small:  Heppler Anser 2

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1 & :Snell: MTB-Black

1 minute ago, mikeanthony said:

Have Vokey SM7s in the 54* 14/F and 58* 08/M bounces - and in almost all situations, I find myself grabbing the 54* and applying distance control with my swing. I'm realizing the bounce of the 54* just suits my eye and swing. It's really helped me in keeping those errant approaches to the green ... at worst a bogey or at best a par. 

The only time I grab the 58* is when I'm on the fringe and the pin is on the near side without much green to work with, and simply need a delicate chip and roll out. 

The wedges are just over 2 years old and I've been looking hard at Cobra's MIM wedges in the versatile grind and PING's Glide 3.0 as well. All 3 of my Sunday golf buddies have the Mizuno T20s, and I just find the leading edge on those to be too rounded. 

When I had my free fitting at True Spec I was fit into that 54F grind as well, but they said 58D for me... I guess I dig a little.

I loved the way the F grind and high bounce got through the turf and moved my strike point lower.  Just gave me tons of spin and control.  I feel the same way when I hit the MIM Black 52* with the 12* bounce Classic Grind.  Visually I think it's narrower than the Vokey, but more rounded and seems to perform the same for me.  Then my 56* Versatile grind can really be opened up and used anywhere.  I think those two would be a really good comp to what you have in the bag now.

• Like 4

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

5 minutes ago, mikeanthony said:

The T20s and Ping Glides have me curious.  I'm almost always a homer for Vokey's, but the wet wedge testing MGS has done has me thinking. 

I did try the Mizuno ES21 and was very disappointed with the feel.

• Like 3

Driver:  :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW:  :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 65g Stiff

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: SIM DHY 3 & 4H, Diamana Limited Hybrid 75g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind, 60 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL:ER7B 

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

16 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

When I had my free fitting at True Spec I was fit into that 54F grind as well, but they said 58D for me... I guess I dig a little.

I loved the way the F grind and high bounce got through the turf and moved my strike point lower.  Just gave me tons of spin and control.  I feel the same way when I hit the MIM Black 52* with the 12* bounce Classic Grind.  Visually I think it's narrower than the Vokey, but more rounded and seems to perform the same for me.  Then my 56* Versatile grind can really be opened up and used anywhere.  I think those two would be a really good comp to what you have in the bag now.

Ha! Agree with you 100% there ... it's crazy how much more spin I get with the 54* as opposed to the 58*, did fail to mention that.

Been dragging my feet on wedge purchases until MGS comes out with their Most Wanted Wedge review, hopefully sometime soon. And at the same time, I'm intrigued by Maltby wedges as well.  

14 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

The T20s and Ping Glides have me curious.  I'm almost always a homer for Vokey's, but the wet wedge testing MGS has done has me thinking.

That makes two of us with respects to being Vokey homers and an early morning golfer. It's exactly why the other 3 have the T20 in their bags. Nothing like a 6:48am tee time for our Sunday course for all of June and July! 

Edited by mikeanthony
  • Like 4

The 🙌🏼 ... GO CANES!

Driver: :titelist-small: TS2 9*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19*

Irons: post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TS2 (5i-6i); TS1 (7i-GW)

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 54* & 58*

Putter: :ping-small:  Heppler Anser 2

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1 & :Snell: MTB-Black

15 minutes ago, mikeanthony said:

That makes two of us with respects to being Vokey homers and an early morning golfer. It's exactly why the other 3 have the T20 in their bags. Nothing like a 6:48am tee time for our Sunday course for all of June and July!

I remember the first non-set wedge I ever bought (2003 ish) was in the pro shop at this golf course in Japan, and I knew nothing about bounce, I just saw this Oil Can Vokey and had to have it...it was a 60.04 and I had only been playing for a year or so.  I loved that wedge, so I bought a 56.12 as well, and I couldn't hit that thing to save my life.  In 2010 I sold those 2 Vokeys and bought some off brand wedges that I didn't even know what the bounce was, but I worked with them until last year when I got the SM8's...and I don't think I'll ever have anything other than Vokeys from here on out. 

• Like 2
  • In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

I use my 58 for almost everything inside 90 yards. The exceptions are a bump and run shot I play with a 7i and I use my 54 out of bunkers. My 58 only has 4 bounce so it's easy to blade things out of the sand, the 54 has 10 and cuts right under the ball.

• Like 3

Take Dead Aim

58* turned to 59*. Full shot 100y. 50y half swing. Flop shots. It's my lowest bounce wedge.

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 10.5* Oban Kiyoshi Gold tipped 1" 44.5" NDMC Mid

4w: :callaway-small: Epic flash Oban Kiyoshi Gold tipped 2" 42.5" NDMC Mid

3-PW: :mizuno-small:  MP-18, 3i FLYhi MMC, 4-6i MMC, 7-PW MB, KBS C-taper Lite X-stiff NDMC Mid

Wedges: :titelist-small:  SM7 49*F, 54*D, 59*M KBS C-taper Lite X-stiff NDMC Mid

Putter:  Lajosi Sensor Breakthrough Golf Tour Stability Shaft 34" SuperStroke GTR 1.0

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

I used my 58° 15 times today.  Twice on one hole.  I use it from 120-0.  But it is my stock 100 yard club.  The 52° is useless, at least on the current course I play, I rarely use it, and when I should have been drinking a Dos Equis… really thinking about adding a 62/64° wedge for a 70-80 yard full shots. 

I have a PING Glide WS 58, and it is not very versatile around the greens, especially with my setup.

• Like 2

Recently saw a post that your most lofted club you should only hit 60-70% of full swing, next lowest only hit 80-90% full swing. Havent had a chance to try it but as @juspoolesaid I am big into 1/2, 3/4 and full "feels" and finding the distance that goes.

• Like 1
On 6/9/2021 at 7:37 AM, Kansas King said:

I run a 60* and use it with great frequency inside 50 yards. I rarely take a full swing with it as it's easy to start losing control but around the greens it's money. It really depends on what shot I'm using it for and how much green I have to work with. I'm generally confident in my ability to hit low spinny shots and high flop shots using the bounce on the wedge around the green. If I'm not feeling confident, I will use my 56* when possible. I highly recommend the PM grind wedges from Callaway for high lofted wedges. The amount of bounce and sole grind along with the full face grooves makes it so versatile and forgiving. Full face grooves may look weird but they really can save your bacon on shots out and up on the toe.

I strongly recommend that anyone who wants to get good with a wedge should really try learning to use and understand the bounce of a wedge. Once you understand how to properly use the bounce, you will find confidence in virtually every shot you take around the green and there won't be any wedge loft that scares you. It took me a long time before I really understood how to use the bounce and it is kind of a "feel" shot. However, once you get it figured out, you got it. 

I have the '19 PM Grind 54º and 60º.  Love these full face wedges!  The 60º is my club for most shots inside 50 yards, including bunkers since it's a high bounce LW.  I will use the 54º out to 80 yards, but only occasionally.  It's usually my long bunker club and for thick rough.  

I agree that the bounce on these clubs seems rather unique to most wedges.  I heard the people love them or hate them.  I love them.  I find it very easy to hit my 60º with 12º of bounce off tight lies in the fairway and around the green.  On our par 3 #4 hole which is really two small green sections offset next to each other, it's possible to be in the wrong section; I've hit my 60º off the green over a mound of rough to the pin.  Not something I like to do, but it's the only way to get the ball close to the hole... stupid course designer!!

• Like 4

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

12 hours ago, tchat07 said:

Recently saw a post that your most lofted club you should only hit 60-70% of full swing, next lowest only hit 80-90% full swing. Havent had a chance to try it but as @juspoolesaid I am big into 1/2, 3/4 and full "feels" and finding the distance that goes.

I'd be interested to read that post, I'm not sure I agree with it.  I don't mind at all making a comfortable-full swing with even my most lofted wedge.  That's not an all-out swing, but not far off, and that consistent swing effort gives me reasonable gaps between those clubs.  If I was to take 65% of a 60* wedge, I might have a 20 yard (maybe more) gap between that and 85% with a 56* wedge.  

• Like 2

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

I'd be interested to read that post, I'm not sure I agree with it.  I don't mind at all making a comfortable-full swing with even my most lofted wedge.  That's not an all-out swing, but not far off, and that consistent swing effort gives me reasonable gaps between those clubs.  If I was to take 65% of a 60* wedge, I might have a 20 yard (maybe more) gap between that and 85% with a 56* wedge.  

I don't necessarily agree with him. But I think this is specifically catered to a very wide audience. 

• Like 4

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             3 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                    ZX7 4-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 59 04 L  (KBS 610)

:scotty-cameron-1:                Special Select SquareBack 2 33"

:titelist-small:                     ProV1

Twitter                     @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I used to use my most lofted wedge for almost everything within its comfortable full swing range.

I've since started to try using my 52* if at all possible, then my 56* if I need more loft, then my 60* only when it's a more demanding situation or greenside bunker.

This seems to be working well for me, and is sort of in line with what Andrew Rice was talking about, while not being exactly the same.

I know plenty of people who are more comfortable using their LW for all of that stuff though.  

• Like 1