Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Searching for that Unicorn

chershey

I am a bit of what some people call a golf equipment "Ho". I have a particular weakness when it comes to new drivers,shafts and putters. When I take a deep introspective look inside of my self to help understand what drives me to purchase new equipment constantly, I realize I'm searching for my Unicorn. Another words, I'm trying to find that magical combination of clubs and shafts with the correct swingweight, length, lie etc. that maximize my numbers beyond a doubt.

A few things push me down this road.

One, I am an information junkie when it comes to golf. I spend hours researching how equipment specs can effect my swing and how the ball will react. I read amazing experiences, like Shawn's fitting up in Canada, and the results he got out of having the right equipment and it keeps me wondering, can I improve my game by switching to a new shaft, or club head? I watch videos on YouTube and can see how equipment changes can help people.

Two, I can see the real differences between equipment and shafts both on the course and on launch monitors. I've been through 3 different drivers this last year and a multitude of shafts. I have a fitter in the area that has a great hitting area but a limited amount of shaft selections, but he lets me use his launch monitor, when it's free, to compare numbers between different options that I've purchased online. In turn, I purchase any new equipment, like grips for instance, through them. I also have a gamegolf tracking system that I use on the course. Each driver change has netted me more average yards on the course and more fairways hit, which is just as crucial. I currently own 4 different shafts for my driver and each one gives me a completely different ball flight plus spin numbers when I compare them side by side on the range and the launch monitor. The real differences are what keeps driving me to upgrade, or search for something new.

Now, I realize the answer to all of this is to find a fitting place, like Modern Golf for instance, that has almost every option possible available and really find out if that "Unicorn" really exists, but all of those places are several hours away, and it can be very difficult to find the time with two young kids to make that trek and get my ultimate fitting. Because of this, I spend countless hours learning about equipment and launch monitor numbers so I can try to find that magical club myself. For instance, as I write this, I can't stop thinking about the fact that Callaway has a new driver coming out next month that is supposedly giving testers more EPIC numbers then they've ever seen. This is an expensive road I've put myself down, towards finding that "Unicorn", but I'm honestly having a lot of fun doing it.

What drives you to make an equipment change? I know I used to make a change when I was struggling with my current equipment but this is no longer the case. I just make changes to see if I can find something better. How about you?

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

Ah the life of a ho.  I documented my search for trying to replace my unicorn.  I call it my unicorn now because I haven't found anything that can beat it yet, and believe me I've tried.  The absolute hardest thing for a club ho to admit is that the best fitting equipment might already be in your bag :)

So what drives me to switch?  Could be a couple different things.  The search for something better.  A couple struggling rounds and wanting to switch it up.  Different course conditions.  Boredom.  A review or test from a reputable place (cough**MGS**cough).  And if I'm really honest with myself a lot of the time I just want to try something new and shiny :)

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

chershey --

Dare I suggest that with all of that on-course time along with all of those practice sessions .. all done in an apparently "mindful" manner (ie. with a purpose) .. that's it's possible that either your swing or technique or even just 'comfort level' swinging a driver have improved..??

Well whatever it is, that's one of the parts of this game (sport, activity, hobby, pastime, however you refer to it) that makes it all so fun - yeah, there is always room for improvement but at the same time YES there is always a better piece of new equipment coming out that just may be 'the one'.....

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

... In a more conceptual explanation it is the journey not the destination that matters to most if us. I am not under the illusion that the next shaft is gonna produce my Unicorn but I love trying new products and if one of them actually does increase my performance that is really just icing on the cake. No shaft has out performed a Kai'li I was fitted for by Taylor Made at the PGA Show 6 years ago and it went in and out of many different drivers and took on all challengers remaining undefeated until the Rogue Black 110 Tour shaft. Better feel, slightly less spin and longer. Some very serious icing, yet I am still trying out different shafts every chance I get. Like most of us here talking about equipment, I love the journey. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

... In a more conceptual explanation it is the journey not the destination that matters to most if us.

This!  Since I play for fun and not a living, part of the fun is trying different stuff.  Maybe it's the difference between tools and the trade and toys. Kids like toys and have their favorites, but new toys are always fun too.  A tradesmen uses his tools to make a living - I used to have a pair of Knipex pump pliers that you'd have to pry out of my cold, dead hands - loved those things!

And if it is, in fact, the Indian and not the arrow, then my whole life has been a lie...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

@ Barbajo are you noticing any odor coming from your pants?  The smell of smoke perhaps?

Seriously all of us know that the right equipment does make a difference.  It most certainly can and does shave strokes here and there but in the end it's about the Indian more than the arrow or the bow or the anything else.

I noticed that chershey said the driver changes have produced extra yards and fairways hit.  Has that had an impact on his handicap?  That should be the bottom line but not for us (it's not just him it's us) - we will tinker and tinker and tinker because.....it's fun chasing that unicorn.  That's why we're here and that's why all of us have closets or basements or garages that are full of golf equipment. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

@ revkev You mean my scores should improve as well the better I hit it? Gotta work on that. :) In all seriousness, I've had some of my best rounds in the last few month since I made the driver change and the handicap has dipped a bit.

Where I hurt myself the most is searching for that perfect putter instead of just practicing and sticking with the one I have. The putter is one area where I'd love to have quality fitting somewhere so I could feel confident it's the right one for my stroke. While I have often switched out other pieces of equipment even if they are performing well, the putter usually gets swapped out of the bag after a few poor showings. In the case of the putter, I honestly think it has more to do with what's going on in between this Indian's ears than any arrow can fix.

@ Barbajo are you noticing any odor coming from your pants?  The smell of smoke perhaps?

Didn't say I wasn't competitive.... :lol:  :lol:

Let's just say I'm a competitive experimenter...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Nothing should drive you into changing equipment other than necessity. That could be because the old one is worn out, non-conforming possibly, but more often than not - unsuitable.

Whilst it sometimes seems rather difficult to find the right set up with the right fitter, what folks often fail to realise is that you don't have to do it all in one go!

First and foremost - find your fit. That has nothing to do with launch monitors, but is everything to do with feel and measurements. Irrespective of what launch and spin you might need, you first need to find the correct weight and the correct length that feels comfortable to swing. This could be any shaft really and not necessarily the one you end up with. Basically you are looking for matching the weight of the shaft to suit your swing and tempo, transition and release. Too heavy or too light will be obvious to yourself.

One you have this aspect covered, you can eliminate anything outside what feels comfortable - a fitter isn't really necessary for this. 

Once you have a weight that feels comfortable, then you can start looking at fitted length to your physique and swing. Again, this doesn't necessarily mean your ideal shaft profile, because the length to centre impact will be the key factor. Some things like toe droop and lie fitting will have an effect on length fitting for lofted clubs and irons, but a specific metric in length can be drilled down from finding a constant strike pattern.

This doesn't need to be done all at the same time! Use a bit of careful testing with demos, borrowed equipment and simply finding which length and weight ratio works best (try choking down the grip to find suitable length) and you can soon find an ideal length. And you haven't even stepped onto a launch monitor or seen a fitter once!

Once you have a ballpark set of preferred length and weight, you can save a bunch of of the fitters time (and not to mention money) but eliminating this variable. Once the fitter can see you comfortably swinging a certain club, they can then evaluate the best flex and bend profile based on how you swing it.

For example if you're a strong swinger with a fast tempo, a quick transition and a steep angle of attack on the ball, you will likely require a certain type of shaft (most often stiffer in the tip section and more flexible in the butt) - this is compared to someone with slower more deliberate swing, with a smooth transition and an earlier release (a softer flex profile with a more flexible tip section perhaps).

Again, this basic info eliminates a lot of variables (and unsuitable shafts/clubs) without ever having needed to look at a launch monitor.

Once you have eliminated enough variables, then you can start to fine tune the fit to optimise your ball flight and spin - this is where a launch monitor has it's forte.

As I have said, all this doesn't need to be done in one fitting session. The important basic fundamental work can be done by yourself. Once you have a set of metrics that make sense, then you can take that info with you to anywhere - and it will apply to any equipment you will ever own in the future too. The point is, once a suitable set of parameters has been achieved, nothing outside these parameters will dramatically improve your golf - for example, if your suitable parameters are a lightweight flexible shaft, then nothing whatsoever can be gained by using a heavy and stiffer shaft. Period. So stop looking.

Once your fitter (once you decide to see one) has identified a suitable set make up to consider, you probably won't need to look too far to find something that suits your eye, your feel, your needs (and your pocket) because quite simply a minefield of possibilities has already been eliminated, making your choice much easier!

I cannot stress enough one key factor though. The level of fit you will get will be commensurate will the level of effort used to find it. This means if you take the lazy option and walk round the corner to your nearest store, the chances are the fit won't be that great. I get tired of hearing stories from folks saying: "there are no fitters near me; I can't find a demo day; it's too far to travel" etc. when in reality, if you make the effort, you can make major leaps forward in finding a good fit. I never ceases to amaze me how folks will travel hundreds of miles to play a particular golf course, but won't venture further than their own town to find a fitter. Well, if you want a good fit, be prepared to do a bit of homework and legwork. 

Be patient, but be focussed. Be methodical and smart. Be ambitious, but be realistic. Be that guy.

@ revkev You mean my scores should improve as well the better I hit it? Gotta work on that. :) In all seriousness, I've had some of my best rounds in the last few month since I made the driver change and the handicap has dipped a bit.

Where I hurt myself the most is searching for that perfect putter instead of just practicing and sticking with the one I have. The putter is one area where I'd love to have quality fitting somewhere so I could feel confident it's the right one for my stroke. While I have often switched out other pieces of equipment even if they are performing well, the putter usually gets swapped out of the bag after a few poor showings. In the case of the putter, I honestly think it has more to do with what's going on in between this Indian's ears than any arrow can fix.

I tend to agree with you about "between the ears", but don't give up hope on the equipment.  I was a terrible putter, but one day I walked into a Golfsmith store and picked up a used putter from their bin for $45, and it transformed me into a respectable putter.  Over the last several years I have worked pretty hard on my putting, because I need a good putter game to keep my scores decent.  What was different about that putter?  Well, it was heavier and shorter than the putter I was using, and most putters for that matter.  It fit my stroke.  Could I find a better one through a fitting... maybe, and I would certainly give it a try.  

So, what I'm saying is that you can probably spend a lot of hours practicing with an expensive putter that looks great but doesn't fit you, and you will tend to get use to it.  However, it will be nothing like the unicorn that you haven't found yet.  Keep looking.   :D

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

In my case, ignorance is bliss.   I don't know enough about the various breeds of unicorns to worry about adding to my herd.   When it comes to my equipment I use the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" theory.   But then again, that same blissful ignorance may keep me from seeing its broke. That its time to put a new unicorn in the stable, the old one no longer runs as fast.   Also, many times, left hoofed unicorns are not immediately available.  

I know I found my "unicorn", I recently put a Aldila Rogue Silver 125 MSI 60 Tour X on my SLDR TP 10.5* head, it has been sitting in the basement for at least 2 years, took it out to the range and was hitting bombs that flew into the trees (must carry 275)...I said "ok, let's play 9 and see if it works, well, you see my signature, it is in the bag, it kicked the Callaway RFX that has owned that spot for those 2 years...

Driver              SLDR TP 10.5* with Aldila Rogue Silver 125 MSI 60 Tour X, 44.25"

3W                  Ping G25 with Diamana White Board D+ 82X, 42.5", tipped .5"

Driving Iron     Callaway X Prototype Utility with Tour AD DI 105X

Irons               4-P Callaway Tour Authentic Prototype with KBS C-Taper 130X

Wedges          Cleveland RTX-588 46, 50, 54, 58 with True Temper DG Tour X100

Putter              Odyssey White Hot Pro Tour V-Line with Super Stroke 1.0 Pistol GT Tour, 33.25"

Golf Ball          Kirkland Signatures and Chrome Soft 2016

I know I found my "unicorn", I recently put a Aldila Rogue Silver 126 MSI 60 Tour X on my SLDR TP 10.5* head, it has been sitting in the basement for at least 2 years, took it out to the range and was hitting bombs that flew into the trees (must carry 275)...I said "ok, let's play 9 and see if it works, well, you see my signature, it is in the bag, it kicked the Callaway RFX that has owned that spot for those 2 years...

Nice! I remember reading the Gear Trials over at that other site, that no one likes to mention here, and you were the only one they couldn't find a better fitting driver for with your trusty RFX. Glad to hear you found your new unicorn!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Yes, I still hit the RFX very well, since they fitted me to it again at the Trials (extended to 44.75" from 44.5"), since I have the specs that work for me it was easy to get the right shaft, the difference is that the SLDR spins way less and it rolls for ever, so far so good, but if it start getting an attitude I will use that shaft on the RFX to see what performance I can get from it...

Driver              SLDR TP 10.5* with Aldila Rogue Silver 125 MSI 60 Tour X, 44.25"

3W                  Ping G25 with Diamana White Board D+ 82X, 42.5", tipped .5"

Driving Iron     Callaway X Prototype Utility with Tour AD DI 105X

Irons               4-P Callaway Tour Authentic Prototype with KBS C-Taper 130X

Wedges          Cleveland RTX-588 46, 50, 54, 58 with True Temper DG Tour X100

Putter              Odyssey White Hot Pro Tour V-Line with Super Stroke 1.0 Pistol GT Tour, 33.25"

Golf Ball          Kirkland Signatures and Chrome Soft 2016

Seriously all of us know that the right equipment does make a difference.  It most certainly can and does shave strokes here and there but in the end it's about the Indian more than the arrow or the bow or the anything else.

... After going thru many, many drivers that made little difference in my scores because there was always a trade off, low spin but not high enough to capitalize. High enough trajectory but too much spin and a loss of roll. Forging and short or demanding and long but errant more than I would have liked. Cobra ZL, R1, Pro S9.1, R11, 913D2/3, RBZ, Stage 2, Jetspeed, R15, SLDR and LTD all with pro's and con's but finally hit on the Fly Z and after hanging around a 1-2 the Fly Z helped get me to a plus index. I hit more fairways and the Fly Z was as long as any other driver I had played so confidence hitting it was a huge factor. In the end I agree completely, while the Indian was much more of a factor than the arrow, the right equipment did make a seemingly small but at the same time very big difference. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

All us club/equipment obsessed golfers will never find our unicorn. It's a very expensive habit, but searching for that edge (that is mostly mental) makes it fun. I thought I found my unicorn in the 917D3. Then I stupidly played out of a friends bag who had the M2 that I absolutely loved. So without any rational thought, just ordered one. I'm sure I'll get the GBB Epic next month too.

At least I love my irons and hybrids, and am getting more and more in tune with the ER5!

Simply, I like new things. Last year I went through 7 drivers for no good reason other than there my just be something better on the market that I have not tried yet. A few weeks ago I picked up a 915 D4 and hated it after one range session and now that it is dialed in a bit more I like it best of the 915 lineup. That being said I am positive I will hit the Epic when it comes out and more than likely add that to the stable. Some days my wife wishes I had cheaper hobbies.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

I am an equipment junkie and love to try out everything I can get my hands on to compare to my current equipment but I don't often change my clubs.  When I do, it is to try and fill what I believe is a hole in my game.  I would love to get a quality fitting to see what would be an ideal fit for me.  

I used to be a putter ho,  but once I got a good putting coach and learned about how a putters design impacts the stroke I seldom change out the putter that is the best fit for how I putt.  

Not really searching for a unicorn but enjoying the scenery as I try out the various offerings from the manufacturers.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

If you are looking for "the unicorn" don't be afraid to make a few frankenclubs along the way. I struggled with my driver for a while and it all came around one day when I took the Ping Tour Stiff shaft out of a G30, tipped it 3/8 to play a touch stiffer, and threw it on my Titleist 910 D3 head. Two different brands ended up making one of the most consistent drivers I have ever had. Truth be told I have been using a different driver for about 6 months because it gives me significantly more distance, but that's a side note

I tend to agree with you about "between the ears", but don't give up hope on the equipment. I was a terrible putter, but one day I walked into a Golfsmith store and picked up a used putter from their bin for $45, and it transformed me into a respectable putter. Over the last several years I have worked pretty hard on my putting, because I need a good putter game to keep my scores decent. What was different about that putter? Well, it was heavier and shorter than the putter I was using, and most putters for that matter. It fit my stroke. Could I find a better one through a fitting... maybe, and I would certainly give it a try.

So, what I'm saying is that you can probably spend a lot of hours practicing with an expensive putter that looks great but doesn't fit you, and you will tend to get use to it. However, it will be nothing like the unicorn that you haven't found yet. Keep looking. :D

Putting and ball striking are as different as gorilla and guerilla. :)

And somehow you must do both well to be a good golfer.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

...In a more conceptual explanation it is the journey not the destination that matters to most if us. I am not under the illusion that the next shaft is gonna produce my Unicorn but I love trying new products...

..(some stuff snipped)..

Like most of us here talking about equipment, I love the journey.

I'm down with that, brotha ;-)

Or as Miley Cyrus said*..

"It's not the mountain..

..it's the climb..."

(* Wife and I watch "The Voice" and someone covered that song during this past season)

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I'm going to give a take here that might be slightly controversial or at least confusing. However this was a lesson I learned in my fitting and is honestly why I feel that taking a trip to a high quality fitter is actually a net savings over being a self defined "ho".

I played a KBS C Taper walking in the door to my fitting. Under all accounts, that shaft should fit me. I spoke with my instructor about new irons before I went and he completely agreed that C Tapers would be the new shaft if he put me into a different head. So this wasn't a personal decision. The guys at Hogan (after some question and answer) also gave their professional opinion that's what I should play. So I played them. Loved the feel, trajectory, performance, everything. Walking in the door I expected to be fit for the same/similar shafts in my next irons.

What was discovered through my fitter being highly trained with a launch monitor is that the profile of that shaft directly conflicts with my swing profile. Even though all of those superlatives still apply in my mind, my effective numbers were well out of whack (the shaft forced me to pull my path dramatically across my body and then essentially present no loft/an extremely closed face to hit the ball). Thus, I was an extremely inconsistent iron player and struggled with distance.

What happened was that something that felt great to me, looked the part, had the trajectory and everything I would look for caused an issue with my numbers that would LOOK like an issue with my swing. By simply flipping the type of shaft profile I play (and swingweight) my numbers virtually went back to zero.

Without a proper fitting I could be spending YEARS on a range trying to correct swing issues when the whole time having the wrong shaft (which I never would have expected to be wrong) was completely holding me back.

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

I'm going to give a take here that might be slightly controversial or at least confusing. However this was a lesson I learned in my fitting and is honestly why I feel that taking a trip to a high quality fitter is actually a net savings over being a self defined "ho".

I played a KBS C Taper walking in the door to my fitting. Under all accounts, that shaft should fit me. I spoke with my instructor about new irons before I went and he completely agreed that C Tapers would be the new shaft if he put me into a different head. So this wasn't a personal decision. The guys at Hogan (after some question and answer) also gave their professional opinion that's what I should play. So I played them. Loved the feel, trajectory, performance, everything. Walking in the door I expected to be fit for the same/similar shafts in my next irons.

What was discovered through my fitter being highly trained with a launch monitor is that the profile of that shaft directly conflicts with my swing profile. Even though all of those superlatives still apply in my mind, my effective numbers were well out of whack (the shaft forced me to pull my path dramatically across my body and then essentially present no loft/an extremely closed face to hit the ball). Thus, I was an extremely inconsistent iron player and struggled with distance.

What happened was that something that felt great to me, looked the part, had the trajectory and everything I would look for caused an issue with my numbers that would LOOK like an issue with my swing. By simply flipping the type of shaft profile I play (and swingweight) my numbers virtually went back to zero.

Without a proper fitting I could be spending YEARS on a range trying to correct swing issues when the whole time having the wrong shaft (which I never would have expected to be wrong) was completely holding me back.

Shawn, I'm glad you brought this up. This is the mystical X-Factor to club fitting that makes this whole thing interesting to me. I think the initial instinct of some fitters or even experienced golfers is to recommend a shaft that fits someone's swing, but what I can't stop thinking about is the question of "What if the shaft itself is causing you to swing incorrectly?" As you mentioned, that's something that's extremely difficult to figure out without a high quality fitting where the experienced fitter understands how club characteristics can effect a swing. With my woods I'm able to figure some of these things out because I can just buy a shaft, that's has different weight or flight/spin characteristics and test it against my current shaft, but it's much more difficult to figure this out with my irons. I agree that a proper fitting with at least my irons could really make a significant difference in my game. Getting a putter fitting eventually would probably make an even bigger difference. Now, I just have to figure out a way to convince my wife how important this is so I'll stop tinkering and changing out my existing equipment (yeah, right. Like that will ever happen :) )

Here's the point though, rather than guessing and spending money on various equipment, why not stop the cycle and just go to someone who is professionally trained on this stuff and just buy the right stuff? I think online classifieds/ebay has really enabled this idea because now people don't have to spend too much money to test various equipment. Which is obviously good. 

But, that's time consuming, an investment and almost feels like gambling because even though it's a small loss I would say over time the odds of consistently breaking even on resale of goods are pretty low. So if you look at the net cost for a year of testing? I would assume that equals a pretty decent expense. 

Just something to think about!

What I love about having my fitting the way I did is that I don't have to worry about clubs at all anymore. If I have any time for golf, I can practice or play. I don't have to worry about what equipment can do for me.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Here's the point though, rather than guessing and spending money on various equipment, why not stop the cycle and just go to someone who is professionally trained on this stuff and just buy the right stuff? I think online classifieds/ebay has really enabled this idea because now people don't have to spend too much money to test various equipment. Which is obviously good. 

But, that's time consuming, an investment and almost feels like gambling because even though it's a small loss I would say over time the odds of consistently breaking even on resale of goods are pretty low. So if you look at the net cost for a year of testing? I would assume that equals a pretty decent expense. 

What I love about having my fitting the way I did is that I don't have to worry about clubs at all anymore. If I have any time for golf, I can practice or play. I don't have to worry about what equipment can do for me.

But what if something that hasn't been released yet is better?????  ;)

Now THAT is a great question. Haha.

My take would simply be that it depends on sites (like this) and reviewers to develop a reputation for the product, if it develops strong enough of a reputation and you have a deficiency in your game then you try it out.

Using Henrik as an example, I'm sure there are better heads/shafts than what he has in his 3 wood, but that club produces a number for him and is comfortable. He has confidence in it. No reason for him to switch. To me, that's when you really take your game to the highest level.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

i agree with you. I have been to 2 of the top 100 fitters over the past few years and it has made a great impact. The problem is now I know what type of shafts, lies, etc fit me well, which opens all those eBay, and other "deals" into the mix!!

But what if something that hasn't been released yet is better????? ;)

Didn't you just learn that a quality fitting will beat new non fitted gear every time lol

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Didn't you just learn that a quality fitting will beat new non fitted gear every time lol

Technically the GBB was also fitted by a top 100 teacher.  But yes I learned my lesson :)

wait is that an Epic subzero over there???  brb

Technically the GBB was also fitted by a top 100 teacher. But yes I learned my lesson :)

wait is that an Epic subzero over there??? brb

Yes the subzero does have me curious. 3 years seem likes it's enough time to try and beat the sldr

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Archived