GolfSpy Dave

Dave's Impossible Project: Same Gear For A Year

Will be looking forward to following along, Dave. 2019 is a year of scoring for me too. I've signed up for a winter improvement plan with my instructor and really hope to take my game to the next level. I'll be starting my own thread to document my swing changes once lessons kick off in June

• Like 2

I did the reverse of what you are trying this past three months or so.  I took six 15-year old clubs and created a Sunday bag, and played with those, and those alone during the week.  I found it interesting that I played much better with just the six old clubs then I did with the 14 new ones.

The only way I buy anything new now is if I break 70.  Otherwise, I'm not buying any new clubs again.

I'm also not playing any course over 6,500 yards, as I just don't have the game for that, but I digress.

• Like 5

I'm on a similar journey as you. I switched out my entire bag again this year (except for wedges, I'll fight you for my wedges!) and am going to try to keep the family, one happy unit for a year and see how my scores end up.

My goal, break par again, and shoot in the 60's. 

Good luck! I'll be following along!

• Like 2

Thanks for the positive feedback. I do welcome any of you to join me in the one set in 2019 crusade. Think of all the gear money that you can save and use for fancy booze instead. I'd have a case of Pappy Family Reserve ready to go based on 2018 🤣

• Like 6

1 hour ago, GolfSpy Dave said:

Thanks for the positive feedback. I do welcome any of you to join me in the one set in 2019 crusade. Think of all the gear money that you can save and use for fancy booze instead. I'd have a case of Pappy Family Reserve ready to go based on 2018 🤣

You get a case of pappy and I’m coming to visit lol

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Looking forward to the experiment and the whole process!
Good luck and thanks for sharing. You have me thinking it would be a good thing to try. Hard to truly dedicate to it though!

• Like 2

Can you somehow get [mention=65448]Golfspy_CG2[/mention] to join you?
Wrong thread... Pretty sure that goes into the best joke thread.
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

I think he's well past that.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

Dave I am with you. I played 9 different sets of irons last year, five different drivers, four fairways, seven different hybrids, five sets of wedges and too many putters to count. Did absolutely nothing for my game at all for better or for worse. I went to a friend of mine that is a club fitter and we went through the entire bag top to bottom to see if I had any issues. Driver was simply a setting change, nothing to the three wood and ditto on the hybrid. The wedges were perfect and I just ended up getting a fresh set of what I was playing. That leaves the irons and the putter. What we found was I was working too hard to swing X100s and we went lighter which made a huge difference. I could flight the ball a lot better and could hit touch shots again. I wanted something with some forgiveness and we settled on Rogue Pros with XP105s. The putter was a different story and there was only one putter that just seemed to work for me. I rolled the ball so well with the Edel E1 that I had to find one. There is something about the round grip that relaxes my hands and the stroke just improves from there. It was head and shoulders above what I had been using.

So I am with you on this challenge as I don’t intend to change anything this year outside of possibly my hybrid. If the new Apex hybrid is that much better than what I have then it will go in the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 6

That really sounds like a solid plan. If the Callaway fitting doesn’t hold all of the answers, I’m going to work through the bag the same way.

Thanks for the details

Dave, I wish you the best on this endeavor. I'm locked in my set with the exception of the driver. New drivers are just too fun to not try. As much as I like the g400 max, the F9, G410, M6, and the new Wilson all need testing.

I totally agree that just knowing your clubs is a huge deal. Then again, that guy at q school that had his clubs stolen spot a 63 with a random selection set.

I'll be here for your journey to analyze and judge all your personal decisions from a far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Danbrook said:
6 hours ago, tommc23 said:

Wrong thread... Pretty sure that goes into the best joke thread.

Or maybe the Christmas Miracle thread!

• Like 5

Good luck with the journey Dave. Have you done a fitting with the Mizuno Optimiser? For me it absolutely pointed me in the right direction. 

I'm currently going through my most significant equipment change since I bought my first set. Irons and wedges are sorted, driver chosen, just need to sort out fairways and hybrid. The putter will be in my bag indefinitely unless something unexpected happens to it.

One of the few good things about turning 50 is being a bit self indulgent😀

• Like 2

Best of luck Dave. Now, if it was @Golfspy_CG2 doing this, we'd all laugh and laugh and carry on because we KNOW, without a doubt, that it would work.

• Like 6

That really sounds like a solid plan. If the Callaway fitting doesn’t hold all of the answers, I’m going to work through the bag the same way.

Thanks for the details

It was really an eye opening experience to try and get the most out of what I had already been fit for, never tried it before. The only issue I went in with was my irons which we worked out. Good luck to you in your quest. I am staying strong with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Peaksy68 said:

Good luck with the journey Dave. Have you done a fitting with the Mizuno Optimiser? For me it absolutely pointed me in the right direction. 

I'm currently going through my most significant equipment change since I bought my first set. Irons and wedges are sorted, driver chosen, just need to sort out fairways and hybrid. The putter will be in my bag indefinitely unless something unexpected happens to it.

One of the few good things about turning 50 is being a bit self indulgent😀

It has been about two years since I've done the Optimizer. That's how I ended up with Nippon 1150 GS Tour shafts in the 850 Forged. Another set I probably should have stuck with, and the reason that I took a somewhat blind shot at the Srixon 756 with the Modus 120 shafts. That shaft really seems to have the right weight and flex profile for my swing. I can easily keep track of the club position, whereas the Recoil 780s in my prior set of Apex irons cause the club to seem borderline etherial. 👻

• Like 3