Regional Combined Introduction Threads Read more... ×
Spy Chat: The Hall of Fame for MGS Read more... ×
Wedgie

Can golf shoes impact scoring?

I have 6 or 7 pairs of golf shoes in rotation.  I noticed that for whatever reason I score better when I wear Nike Roshe golf shoes.  I don't know why  but I do know these shoes seem to keep my heals a little more elevated than the Addidas, FJ or Eccos I wear.  Can this small of a detail impact scoring?  Can this small of a detail confirm I'm nuts for even considering it?  We all talk about comfort and durability so is this even a consideration for anyone?

I'm curious if others have noticed better scoring from a pair of shoes?

• Like 3

Absolutely. I fit a guy who was wearing extremely comfortable, walking, spineless shoes and he noticed that his scores were going up. We didn’t find him any new driver distance, but I mentioned that his feet were constantly moving. He tried some tour 360s and his handicap immediately began to drop.
If your feet hurt during a round or you’re not getting the traction that you want, shoes can play a big part in helping with that.
Foot joy did their shoe testing with their tour pros and found that some guys picked up almost 10 yards just by switching shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Rtracymog said:

Absolutely. I fit a guy who was wearing extremely comfortable, walking, spineless shoes and he noticed that his scores were going up. We didn’t find him any new driver distance, but I mentioned that his feet were constantly moving. He tried some tour 360s and his handicap immediately began to drop.
If your feet hurt during a round or you’re not getting the traction that you want, shoes can play a big part in helping with that.
Foot joy did their shoe testing with their tour pros and found that some guys picked up almost 10 yards just by switching shoes.

Last fall, I ended up walking 18 in a pair of dockers. my feet were moving all over the place as well. Back to my FJ's! 

• Like 3

I too have a few pairs in the rotation and indeed gravitate to the one pair of the three that has 4 cleats on the heel rather than 2 cleats. These just feel better for me overall and I wind up wearing them more often. Do I score better in them? That's up for debate, but since I feel better in them, it's one less distraction from the game.

• Like 3

I think there was an old post, that I may have started, on this topic.

Studies have shown that the stability of the shoe and the individual golfers needs may impact the performance of a golfer.

Have I seen this, not really since I don’t have multiple pairs of golf shoes and when replacing I just go with the updated model. Been wearing FJ Contours as long as I can remember.

• Like 3

Yes, absolutely!!  I have been wearing True Linkswear shoes for at least 8 years.  I love the zero drop.  The last couple of years True shoes have been well... less than durable.  Frankly, their quality sucked IMO.  I haven't tried the their new Original shoe, but I probably will.

This past summer I bought a pair of Skechers GoGolf Elite V.3 - LUX.  Super comfortable for walking just like Kuchar says.  However, the heel is higher than I was used to, and I hit more bad shots when wearing them.  I only wore them to the range, and played in a pair of old Trues.  Eventually, I got used to the Skechers, and now I wear them all the time.  It just took time to get used to the change.

• Like 5

Yes, absolutely!!  I have been wearing True Linkswear shoes for at least 8 years.  I love the zero drop.  The last couple of years True shoes have been well... less than durable.  Frankly, their quality sucked IMO.  I haven't tried the their new Original shoe, but I probably will.
This past summer I bought a pair of Skechers GoGolf Elite V.3 - LUX.  Super comfortable for walking just like Kuchar says.  However, the heel is higher than I was used to, and I hit more bad shots when wearing them.  I only wore them to the range, and played in a pair of old Trues.  Eventually, I got used to the Skechers, and now I wear them all the time.  It just took time to get used to the change.

May I suggest we are such finely tuned athletes these small changes have major implications?

• Like 5

I think golf shoes make a difference. The ones with spikes that is. I tried spikeless a few years ago and didn't like playing in them. My foot slipped once or twice. Just this past Monday a friend I was playing with was wearing some sort of running shoe it looked like. I recall him complaining after slipping and missing a shot due to his choice of shoe that day.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

May I suggest we are such finely tuned athletes these small changes have major implications?

Yes!  😉  When I first put the Skechers on, it felt like I was wearing those platform shoes from the '70's (not that I did, that you know of).  I don't know that the difference in height really affected the bottom of my swing, but my balance was affected.

I have both spiked and spikeless shoes.  I don't slip much unless the grass is really wet.  I will wear spiked only when riding; spikeless are much more comfortable when walking.

• Like 4

Shoes can absolutely make a huge difference. Similar to your higher heels, when I wear spiked shoes, I'm a little bit higher off the ground, and I hit a lot of thin shots. 

Also, the comfortability of shoes matters in the golf swing. I had an uncomfortable pair of FJ's that raised my scores, and after switching to Ecco's my scores dropped immediately.  

• Like 4

Yes I second the comfortable factor. But having said that I’ve never tried on a pair of golf shoes that weren’t instantly comfortable right out the box. Aside from the occasional order online where you didn’t know they ran big or small of course. Assuming the right size golf shoes are some of the most comfortable shoes you can buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I know a poor fitting shoe and spikeless shoes both hurt my performance but I’ve played well in plenty of different brands and models of shoes that had a good fit so definitely could see there being a performance gain in the right circumstances.

In the bag
Driver: Callaway Rogue Subzero 9.5 Stiff flex
3 wood: Callaway Rogue Subzero 15 degree
Hybrids: 17 degree titleist 816 h2
Irons: Ben Hogan Ptx 22-46 degree (4-pw)stiff flex standard lie
Wedges: Callaway Mac Daddy 4 50,54,58 degrees
Putter: Odyssey EXO seven

Gig’em Aggies!
  • Like 1

Ball flight with my two favorite shoes:

True Linkswear: Most of the time, a straight ball but a pull/draw will find it's way in because the zero drop allows weight to be shifted to the heel. However, my best putting days are in my True Knits. 

Nike Lunar Control: Baby fades because the heel is higher and my weight during the swing is more on the balls of the feet. Putting suffers a bit (I find I push the ball more) but the ball flight is consistent and the draw is no where to be found. 

• Like 3

Ball flight with my two favorite shoes:
True Linkswear: Most of the time, a straight ball but a pull/draw will find it's way in because the zero drop allows weight to be shifted to the heel. However, my best putting days are in my True Knits. 
Nike Lunar Control: Baby fades because the heel is higher and my weight during the swing is more on the balls of the feet. Putting suffers a bit (I find I push the ball more) but the ball flight is consistent and the draw is no where to be found. 

Carry both pairs or wear one of each and you’ve got it figured out.

In the bag

Gig’em Aggies!

On 2/8/2019 at 10:55 PM, EthanSterlingPrice said:

Carry both pairs or wear one of each and you’ve got it figured out.

In the bag

Gig’em Aggies!

Well the Podiatrist gave me two options...wear the Nike and play the fade or wear the Trues and enjoy plantar fasciitis, strained ligaments and other foot problems due to the lack of support I need. Needless to say, the Trues are some of the best shoes I've worn, but they are on the shelf permanently. Nike, or other supportive golf shoes, from here on out! 

• Like 2

On 1/3/2019 at 8:48 AM, Wedgie said:

I'm curious if others have noticed better scoring from a pair of shoes?

I only have one pair of golf shoes so no comparative data but, like @txgolfjunkie, I need good shoes to keep plantar fasciitis at bay. After ditching my older spiked Footjoy's about 6 years ago, I tried just playing in decent quality tennis shoes and soon was dealing with my first bout of PF.  I walk quite a few of my rounds, so in addition to having good support to counter the stress/strain of the swing, I need quality shoes for walking.

I think so. I play my best golf, believe it or not, in FJ golf sandals.

Their traction on the turf is fantastic but because they're sandals, there is some play in the footbed. Nothing crazy, just a little play.

So what this does is force me to swing within myself rather than, well... swing outta my sandals.

Before last season, I hadn't ever used them outside of Myrtle Beach and that was only for a week at a time while there. Because my back was worsening, I theorized that they may slow me down and I used them for the first time in at least 5-6 years and outside of Myrtle Beach.

Went on to have my best scoring year ever, by far. Obliterated my PB by 5 strokes and went on to beat that former PB numerous times.

LOL... golf sandals. Who knew?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Will_Mac said:

I think so. I play my best golf, believe it or not, in FJ golf sandals. emoji39.png

Their traction on the turf is fantastic but because they're sandals, there is some play in the footbed. Nothing crazy, just a little play.

So what this does is force me to swing within myself rather than, well... swing outta my sandals. emoji6.png

Before last season, I hadn't ever used them outside of Myrtle Beach and that was only for a week at a time while there. Because my back was worsening, I theorized that they may slow me down and I used them for the first time in at least 5-6 years and outside of Myrtle Beach.

Went on to have my best scoring year ever, by far. Obliterated my PB by 5 strokes and went on to beat that former PB numerous times.

LOL... golf sandals. Who knew?

I wore FJ sandals constantly a few years ago - but abandoned them after they got loose and filled with  sand that accumulated under my soles. Guess I spent too much time in the bunkers. I still occasionally drag them out on really hot humid days. 

Glad they work for you. 

• Like 1

Unless I’m slipping out my swing no I don’t think shoes affect scoring. I doubt anyone says at the end of their round.. I shot worse because of my shoes. At least I haven’t. Now having a pair of lucky shoes makes sense

Edited by Charli
  • Like 1

About a decade ago, at a swanky member-guest, I was put into some really comfy and cool looking Nike air max something or other. I strapped them on for the first round and the super built up heel significantly impacted my weight transition. With my weight favoring the balls of my feet, everything below my waist was naturally encouraged to move toward the ball. I say naturally now, but on that day believed something very unnatural was going on when my lazy draw suddenly presented as an unshakable push fade. In those days, my golf swing was a known variable. But despite feeling like I was putting the exact same swing on it the day before, having a thick wedge underheel was totally changing my weight transfer. We got a bunch of rain that night between rounds and I went back to my old shoes for the muddy second round. My shot pattern returned to normal and I didn’t recognize any correlation until a week later when I pulled the Nikes out for a range session and the push fade popped up immediately.

After that I started looking into “heel drop” theory and True Linkswear was (at the time) the only company actively funneling R&D in that area. I spent the next 10 years enjoying the benefits of a TRUE zero drop platform while simultaneously being consistently disappointed with the quality on anything outside their top tier products. Did they make the most comfortable shoe? No, but it was high in the running for lightest and as someone who follows a “from the ground up” approach to swing theory, the difference in True Linkswear vs everything else was tangible enough for me to prioritize scorecard before comfort.

I still have (2) fresh pairs of True Classixs in the closet to wear out before I need to go shopping but their newly released Major line may prove too tempting. Bottom line and back to the point, zero drop-vs-wedge heel makes a difference in my game. Depending on your specific swing tendencies, I’m comfortable suggesting that employing a different heel configuration in your shoes can be an easy and effective option to change your swing from the ground up.

• Like 2