CNosil - Journey to a better golf game

Been working on the full swing.  Still hitting it off the toe a little too frequently.   Numbers below are 7 iron.    

927621656_IMG_0670(Small).jpg.056b3a34e1924c3c88dd0de29f9c52ce.jpg

1761512825_IMG_0671(Small).jpg.332ccec7328b43a74ff7cfcc130473df.jpg

• Like 5

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  Bellum Winmore 787

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There are a few threads detailing individuals paths to getting better.  Some want to break into the 80s,  some want to be single digit, some are trying to achieve scratch golf,  I am trying to get to

I am now a couple of weeks into working on my swing.  Most evenings I am running through most of the practice plan provided by my coach.   The plan is a bunch of drills designed to work on pressu

Had some time on the GCQuad yesterday since it was a Most wanted testing day. Face contact location is definitely improving. I am still hitting the occasional toe shot, but becoming more aware of

Posted Images

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Been working on the full swing.  Still hitting it off the toe a little too frequently.   Numbers below are 7 iron.    

927621656_IMG_0670(Small).jpg.056b3a34e1924c3c88dd0de29f9c52ce.jpg

1761512825_IMG_0671(Small).jpg.332ccec7328b43a74ff7cfcc130473df.jpg

Would love to have those numbers!!!

• Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Would love to have those numbers!!!

I can hit the ball fairly consistently on occasion. Easy to do when using a launch monitor. Only really counts when on the course as you only get one shot.

This is where the frustration comes from. I know I can hit the ball, how do stay away from sim many bad shots. I do get into sequences of hitting the ball poorly even when practicing. Had quite a few to shots that were 20 yards shorter than the numbers in the images.

I know that this is a hard game and I am trying to look at the longer term patterns but I am still getting caught up in the round that I last played.
  • Like 4

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

I know that this is a hard game and I am trying to look at the longer term patterns but I am still getting caught up in the round that I last played.

Happens to all of us.  I know you're not needing or looking for a pep talk, but I'll say it anyway...keep working hard and the results will come.  Lasting, muscle-memory ingrained golf improvement just requires a LOT of reps and there's really no way around that. 

• Like 2

Driver: :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: SIM DHY 3 & 4H, Diamana Limited Hybrid 75g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind, 60 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER7B 

:SuperSpeed:

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

I can hit the ball fairly consistently on occasion. Easy to do when using a launch monitor. Only really counts when on the course as you only get one shot.

This is where the frustration comes from. I know I can hit the ball, how do stay away from sim many bad shots. I do get into sequences of hitting the ball poorly even when practicing. Had quite a few to shots that were 20 yards shorter than the numbers in the images.

Make it a game of how do I take the fewest strokes from here (where your bad shot ended up) to the hole. Lots of little successes that way. Having been a low single digit handicapper I know that was a huge part of the equation. I really learned it playing in a situation game where bogey was worth a point. It was a great incentive to minimize the damage.

Just a thought that you may not have considered yet

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 3

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

• 3 weeks later...

Continuing to work on my game.  There are definitely some bright encouraging things:

• Shot 2 over for 9 holes during league match. Ball striking and distance off the tee were both really good
  • played a 2 over front nine before totally falling apart on the back.
  • short game shots have definitely improved.  Need to focus on distance control by better understanding ball release.  Pitch shots are now going past the hole instead of short due to poor contact.  
  • hitting the ball the best I have in a long time during my most wanted testing sessions.  Have even struggled with hitting too far toward the heel.

Exchanged some emails and provided round statistics to my coach and decided an intervention is needed.  Going to have an in person lesson tomorrow to work on ball striking.  While I try to avoid tips, I think that just reading or hearing them influences my swing.  Time for a reset to what I need to work on.  My though right now is I need to control face angle better and understand how to hit the center of the club face.  I want to wear our the center of the face and not the toe area outside the grooves.  

I think I am close and just need some input on things to tighten up to have a little better control over 18 holes.  

• Like 5

On 5/7/2021 at 10:32 AM, cnosil said:

short game shots have definitely improved.  Need to focus on distance control by better understanding ball release.  Pitch shots are now going past the hole instead of short due to poor contact.  

Nice!! 👍

That alone sounds like a huge improvement from where you'd started this journey.

Good luck with the next lesson!

• Like 2

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W (Project X Cypher)
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Super Hybrid 23 (PX Catalyst) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

Good lesson today but I have a lot of work to do to correct the issues with the toe strikes.  Had issues with backswing, transition, and elbow. 

Some of the problems in my current swing are backswing too long,  not separating the lower and upper body,  elbows are separating which are causing excess ulnar deviation.  These all resulting in my swing needing a lot of timing to pull it off.  So some days it worked and some it didn't and as my results have shown  the timing could fail part way through a round.

Here is how we progressed:

Started with back swing - Need to turn the upper body and not lift my arms; also reduced wrist break.  

Transition/pressure shift forward - I was waiting too late to start the forward pressure shift. I had pretty much completed my backswing instead of recentering at club parallel.    

Separate upper and lower body - my downswing started with a simultaneous rotation of the upper and lower body.  This causes the hands to go toward the ball instead of going down.   Spent a bunch of time moving to backswing complete and then rotating the hips and not the shoulders.  The rotation of the hips caused the hands to start their drop.  

With the above three starting to improve,  it became clear that the problem was the right elbow.   This is going to be the hard part for me to get incorporated.  Suggestion is to use a tourstriker ball or a softball and not drop them.   This seems to be the primary cause of the toe strikes for me.  When the right elbow separates,  the hips go toward the ball,  the hands go out and I have to compensate.  Worked on this for a while and while I got better I never really was successful.   

Going to be lots of practice swings and video to get this down.   What I did see was that what I would consider 50/60% swings were only about 15 yards short of my normal speed swings.   When I got close,  my swing looked really good.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, cnosil said:

Transition/pressure shift forward - I was waiting too late to start the forward pressure shift. I had pretty much completed my backswing instead of recentering at club parallel.    

Do you mean at P2, shaft parallel in backswing you are already shifting back toward the target?

:cobra-small: F9 Driver 9*

:cobra-small: Baffler 2H/4H

:ping-small: G700 4i, G410 6-UW, Glide 2.0 54, 60*

:EVNROLL: ER2.2

31 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

Do you mean at P2, shaft parallel in backswing you are already shifting back toward the target?

Yep P2.   That is where; as my coach has described, applying the breaks and the body begins to recenter.  The AMG guys talk about it in this video.  

Think of throwing a baseball.   Your arm is still going back while your body starts moving forward. 

• Like 4

@cnosil Your game and your journey sounds so much like my own experiences.  

• Like 3

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree set to +1, Aldila Extreme Green 55 gram R shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*) Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 3,4, & 5 -- stock R shafts.

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS and SW bent to 52 Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 56*  Stock shaft.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

14 minutes ago, CarlH said:

It does.  When I read your How'd you play posts it seems like we are on the exact same path. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CarlH said:

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

It does.  When I read your How'd you play posts it seems like we are on the exact same path. 

It sounds like a lot many of us.  Just substitute heel for toe and that's me.  The toe is a nonexistent part of my club.

• Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 4/20/2021 at 6:37 AM, revkev said:

Make it a game of how do I take the fewest strokes from here (where your bad shot ended up) to the hole. Lots of little successes that way. Having been a low single digit handicapper I know that was a huge part of the equation. I really learned it playing in a situation game where bogey was worth a point. It was a great incentive to minimize the damage.

Just a thought that you may not have considered yet

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Indeed.  Instead of trying to make it all up with one stroke (when things go amiss), play within yourself and take each shot at a time.  Make the best decision on each shot and avoid big numbers.  Easier said than done at times.

• Like 3

Instagram:  @_chasing_scratch

YouTube: Chasing Scratch

Facebook:  Chasing Scratch

:SuperSpeed: Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small: G400 LST 8.5* with HZRDUS SMOKE 6.5 70g 

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  Vokey SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter: 681811256_Odysseylogo.png.499799aea6663befa411c8db1d859702.png Stroke Lab Ten S 33"

Ball:  :taylormade-small: 2019 TP5X

14 hours ago, cnosil said:

Yep P2.   That is where; as my coach has described, applying the breaks and the body begins to recenter.  The AMG guys talk about it in this video.  

Think of throwing a baseball.   Your arm is still going back while your body starts moving forward. 

I love AMG videos.  I saw another one where they discussed this, but that it isn’t necessarily a conscious decision. Just like the upper/lower body separation to start the downswing.  It’s minimal, but it does exist.  But trying to make that separation massive can lead to terrible consequences.  I did a slow motion video of my swing and found that when I tried to move the upper and lower body a the same time in the downswing, I still had that separation. It felt like one on the same.  We’re talking milliseconds that are imperceptible.  But everyone’s feel/real is different and sometimes it needs to be engrained first before it can become unconscious.

• Like 4

WITB:

Putter: 681811256_Odysseylogo.png.499799aea6663befa411c8db1d859702.png Stroke Lab Ten S 33"

1 hour ago, ChasingScratch said:

I love AMG videos.  I saw another one where they discussed this, but that it isn’t necessarily a conscious decision. Just like the upper/lower body separation to start the downswing.  It’s minimal, but it does exist.  But trying to make that separation massive can lead to terrible consequences.  I did a slow motion video of my swing and found that when I tried to move the upper and lower body a the same time in the downswing, I still had that separation. It felt like one on the same.  We’re talking milliseconds that are imperceptible.  But everyone’s feel/real is different and sometimes it needs to be engrained first before it can become unconscious.

This is a feel versus real I struggle with. I have to feel like I start the swing with my shoulders to keep my boss from racing ahead and getting out of sync. Lately I have been missing that and it really gets the upper body left behind.

• Like 5

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS Review

:cobra-small: SZ Extreme 9° HZRDUS Smoke Green 60g 6.5 | :taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff 

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff | :titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300 | :Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56° KBS Tour V 110 Stiff

:cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0 | :ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :bridgestone-small: Tour BX | Right Handed

:SuperSpeed: Follow My Super Speed Progress Here 

2 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

This is a feel versus real I struggle with. I have to feel like I start the swing with my shoulders to keep my boss from racing ahead and getting out of sync. Lately I have been missing that and it really gets the upper body left behind.

Same for me as well.  ‘Fire the hips’ lead to shots that go waaaaay right for me.

• Like 3

WITB:

2 minutes ago, ChasingScratch said:

Same for me as well.  ‘Fire the hips’ lead to shots that go waaaaay right for me.

Exactly this just hard to convince myself sometimes since many struggle with it in the other direction. Guess my hips are just too fast.

• Like 3

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS Review

:cobra-small: SZ Extreme 9° HZRDUS Smoke Green 60g 6.5 | :taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff 

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff | :titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300 | :Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56° KBS Tour V 110 Stiff

:cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0 | :ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :bridgestone-small: Tour BX | Right Handed

:SuperSpeed: Follow My Super Speed Progress Here 

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

Exactly this just hard to convince myself sometimes since many struggle with it in the other direction. Guess my hips are just too fast.

🎶 Your hips don’t lie! 🎶

But again, the swing is so individual, which is why it is hard to take what a pro says they “feel” and try to use it in our swings or in mass golf swing instruction as a one-size-fits-all.  Are there commonalities between top professionals?  Yes.  But how they each feel/cue their motion is different and cannot be used for all.

Edited by ChasingScratch
  • Like 3

WITB:

7 hours ago, ChasingScratch said:

It is  probably the one I was actually looking for. I have seen another one that I think did a better job of explaining.   This is why instruction is so important.  You have to see what the player is doing and find something that works for that player.  My problem was that I was firing both the hips and shoulders at the same time and causing my hands to go out and not down.  This is why we worked on isolating the hips to start the lesson; the thought was keep back toward target and get the thighs in line again.  This one move did quite a few things for me.  It shortened my swing and prevented me from hinging my wrists more at the top of the backswing,  it caused my hands to start the drop down, and it gave me the necessary connection between the arm and chest.  This was a feel I  personally needed to get my swing in better sequence.  When I got the timings down,  my swing looked really good and I was hitting the center of the face. 

6 hours ago, ejgaudette said:

And that is what you need.  There is no time in the swing to really consciously make these moves.  We were doing them in slow motion and stepping through the swing.  None of this was done at full speed during the lesson.  We were doing pretty much everything at 60%.  

5 hours ago, ChasingScratch said:

🎶 Your hips don’t lie! 🎶

But again, the swing is so individual, which is why it is hard to take what a pro says they “feel” and try to use it in our swings or in mass golf swing instruction as a one-size-fits-all.  Are there commonalities between top professionals?  Yes.  But how they each feel/cue their motion is different and cannot be used for all.

That is why I like my coach,  he doesn't tell me what I should feel.  We talk about what I need to do and I come up with the feels.  

• Like 5