Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Going down on the shaft

Hey guys,

just back from the range, working on a few things, and considering I’m only 2-3 weeks back into the game, I’m happy with the progress..

I was hitting my 56 wedge, 9,8,7 great for the most part, but I tried my 6 iron, and boy, let’s say it needs work lol!!

is it ok to go down the shaft and inch or so?

Also, a big problem of mine is rushing the shot and try to smash it, and it gets worse the longer the club..I just need to get into the hard habit to do it like my practice swing, it’s always smooth and controlled, but soo as that wee white ball is in front of me..man..it all goes out the window!! Lol!

DRIVER: Taylormade RBZ Tour 9 degree

3W: Taylormade RBZ reg.

5W: Taylormade RBZ reg.

4 Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ reg.

Irons: Wilson Staff D7 Forged (5-PW)

Wedges: Vokey SM6 52, 56 and 60

Putter: Cleveland - Huntington Beach #3

Ball: -

image.gif.89028c3341487108d8d95e852c8ccb9e.gif

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

Lol! Dirty, dirty minds! 🤣

9 minutes ago, Zeebedy said:

Lol! Dirty, dirty minds! 🤣

We were all thinking it. 

But yeah, it's generally fine to grip down the shaft a bit. I tend to do it because I sacrifice a bit of speed but mentally feel a bit more in control. 

The main thing to watch if you try it out is how it affects your shot shape, distance and apex. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

The longer the club the harder it is to generally swing. If you choke down on the grip it is completely fine you may lose some speed but you will probably gain some control. The next time you are at the range start with your longer irons and see how you do.

Edited by stephenmatt

Yes it is okay to grips down. Some players do it all the time. Reference Brooke Henderson and Lydia Ko.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Cheers guys, that’s great!!

had a look at Lydia Ko, damn, that’s definitely down on the grip!

1 hour ago, Zeebedy said:

Hey guys,

just back from the range, working on a few things, and considering I’m only 2-3 weeks back into the game, I’m happy with the progress..

I was hitting my 56 wedge, 9,8,7 great for the most part, but I tried my 6 iron, and boy, let’s say it needs work lol!!

is it ok to go down the shaft and inch or so?

Also, a big problem of mine is rushing the shot and try to smash it, and it gets worse the longer the club..I just need to get into the hard habit to do it like my practice swing, it’s always smooth and controlled, but soo as that wee white ball is in front of me..man..it all goes out the window!! Lol!

Maintaining a smooth tempo is one of the hardest things for me. It’s all mental discipline, which I apparently don’t have. One of my golf buddies who is a good player has go to shot for when he isn’t hitting his irons well. He takes a longer club and grips down on it and hits a low fade that is extremely accurate. And just like that, he starts taking my money again. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

3 minutes ago, Hook DeLoft said:

Maintaining a smooth tempo is one of the hardest things for me. It’s all mental discipline, which I apparently don’t have. 

Story of my life mate 🤣

A local player, with a PGA pro for a dad, mentioned how he practices with a standard grip and then chokes down to work on tempo. 

The reality of choking down is a much lighter swing weight and a slightly different lie angle. Combine that with the smaller diameter grip, and you have 3 variables that come into play. 

This player I mentioned is able to wade through those variables because his mechanics are near perfect. However, an amateur who doesn't practice it much might not have as much success choking down.

My personal experience is that my standard grip gives me the best chance to make good impact. If I ever choke down then it is not more than about 1/2" because of all the reasons above. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg